test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

is a Gorn revolution nigh?

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,914 Arc User
let's face it. it's clear the gorn are not happy campers. they are a subjugated species. suddenly, here are the Voth, a technological saurian species? who is to say if the voth don't embrace the gorn as a long lost brother? for all we know, they are!
sig.jpg
Post edited by vetteguy904 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That would require more story-thought then the Devs are willing to put into it. Plus if the Gorn broke-away from the KDF, well, that would just be another excuse for the "Cryptic hates Klingons" posts. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Story wise, I'm not sure if the Voth would even accept the Gorn (or any other reptilian species for that matter) based on the KDF intelligence report blog that came out earlier. Specifically, this part here:
    Voth Doctrine also states that non-indigenous beings have no rights, which means that we cannot expect them to treat us as equals in any interactions.

In this case I'm assuming that "non-indigenous" means "anything not Voth." If they did accept the Gorn, they would most likely still be subjugated since they aren't considered equals. It would just be trading one master for another, with no guarantee that the new master will treat them any better.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,914 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Story wise, I'm not sure if the Voth would even accept the Gorn (or any other reptilian species for that matter) based on the KDF intelligence report blog that came out earlier. Specifically, this part here:

In this case I'm assuming that "non-indigenous" means "anything not Voth." If they did accept the Gorn, they would most likely still be subjugated since they aren't considered equals. It would just be trading one master for another, with no guarantee that the new master will treat them any better.

but have the voth run across another saurian species? and to take it a step further... could the saurians become a fifth column within the federation? with a Saurian president it could open up a whole new arena of diplomacy/dialog ( NO COMBAT) story arc which many are drooling for.
    sig.jpg
    edited October 2013
    but have the voth run across another saurian species? and to take it a step further... could the saurians become a fifth column within the federation? with a Saurian president it could open up a whole new arena of diplomacy/dialog ( NO COMBAT) story arc which many are drooling for.

That I'm not sure on. If the Voth really did come from Earth and have been in space for millions of years, I would say it's a likely possibility that they met other saurian species. Of course there's no canon evidence that they have or what any interactions with those species might have been like.

From the Gorn's perspective, I would think that it depends on how well the conflict between the KDF/Feds and the Voth go. If the KDF starts seriously whoopin' some Voth backsides, the Gorn might not want to hook up with the losing side. After all, right now they may be subjugated, but they do have enough standing in the Empire to become representatives (S'tass) and captain starships (player Gorn captains). I would think that the Voth would have to offer them something substantial, such as equality, in order for the Gorn to attempt to defect. But then there's that pesky Doctrine stating that all non-indigenous species are not equals...so it might be possible, but I'm leaning more towards unlikely.

As for negotiations with the Feds...I'm thinking the incident with Voyager has the Voth not all that excited to sit down with them. "You defied Doctrine and tried to destroy our culture once, you will do so again." I'm all for more diplomatic gameplay, I'm just not sure that the Voth are the right species to pursue that with.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Heres a thought the voth ally with the KDF the gorn revolt and gain independence from the KDF and ally with the federation.

but then again that would mean switching gorn ships to KDF alot of red tape...wouldnt work though would make for some interesting FEs.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That's not because they are reptilian than they are friends.
    Caitian and Ferasan are both mamalian and the same specie, yet they hate each others.
    Human and Klingon are mamalians, and they are at war.
    Vulcan and Romulan are both mamalian, ans the same specie, and they hate each others.

Also, the Voth are some kind of zealous and xenophobic idiots. Like a middle age inquisitor. Why would they make friends with another race ? Even if it's another reptilian race.

If the Gorn start a revolution or something, they will be on their own. Maybe they'll receive support from the fed, but no reptilian cross species friendship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Heres a thought the voth ally with the KDF the gorn revolt and gain independence from the KDF and ally with the federation.

but then again that would mean switching gorn ships to KDF alot of red tape...wouldnt work though would make for some interesting FEs.

we feds would take the voth but gorn no ty :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2013
    If the Gorn ever went to the Fed side, I'd probably stop playing my Gorn. The whole purpose of making him was to not play as a Fed lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's also that the Voth come from the Parasaurolophus, which was a herbivore, and im pretty sure the Gorn are carnivores.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    captz1pp wrote: »
    There's also that the Voth come from the Parasaurolophus, which was a herbivore, and im pretty sure the Gorn are carnivores.

i found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjuptfaTqyo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Given even the original Gorn design that is a definite, that the Gorn evolved from a carniviorus reptilian or saurian.

Given the Kassae mission, where Gorn ancestors had a large ancient empire, I could see the Gorn end up being related somehow to the Voth. Like they were a co evolved species on Earth and they only cooperated to escape the incoming devastation of the Earth, and had to separate due to their ancient heritage (one being the descendant of Herbivores and another Carinvores.) Or the Gorn were descendant of Voth who went on their own path and grew to be aggressive.

However, in either case, having the Gorn come from Earth or related to the Voth would likely anger the Star Trek community. So then I would say that the Voth and Ancient Gorn were two reptilian species that encountered one another in space and they had a falling out and ended up warring against one another, where the Ancient Gorn won, but their empire was so devastated that they retreated to the Gorn homeworld, while the Voth escaped into Deep Space.

Even if there is no connection, I could see the Voth learning about the Gorn and lending their aid, since their Doctrine says that Reptilians are superior and having the Gorn ruled by the Klingons would be against Doctrine.

.......But........then again wasn't Klingons descendants of some kind of lizard creature? (TNG: Genesis) :confused:
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,873 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Given even the original Gorn design that is a definite, that the Gorn evolved from a carniviorus reptilian or saurian.

Given the Kassae mission, where Gorn ancestors had a large ancient empire, I could see the Gorn end up being related somehow to the Voth. Like they were a co evolved species on Earth and they only cooperated to escape the incoming devastation of the Earth, and had to separate due to their ancient heritage (one being the descendant of Herbivores and another Carinvores.) Or the Gorn were descendant of Voth who went on their own path and grew to be aggressive.

However, in either case, having the Gorn come from Earth or related to the Voth would likely anger the Star Trek community. So then I would say that the Voth and Ancient Gorn were two reptilian species that encountered one another in space and they had a falling out and ended up warring against one another, where the Ancient Gorn won, but their empire was so devastated that they retreated to the Gorn homeworld, while the Voth escaped into Deep Space.

Even if there is no connection, I could see the Voth learning about the Gorn and lending their aid, since their Doctrine says that Reptilians are superior and having the Gorn ruled by the Klingons would be against Doctrine.

.......But........then again wasn't Klingons descendants of some kind of lizard creature? (TNG: Genesis) :confused:

Then what happened to Ancient Gorn technology...not saying they have to be as advanced as the Voth...but don't you think there would be some type of technology?

On that train of thought what about Cardassians? Aren't they least partly reptilian based? I mean they have scales and prefer the warmth.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Then what happened to Ancient Gorn technology...not saying they have to be as advanced as the Voth...but don't you think there would be some type of technology?

On that train of thought what about Cardassians? Aren't they least partly reptilian based? I mean they have scales and prefer the warmth.

With the Ancient Gorn........I have no idea, that's Kestrel's Department if she had any elaboration on what happened to the Ancient Gorn. All I remember is that in the Kassae mission is the Gorn were trying to assert claim on the world saying it was a world of the Ancient Gorn.

Cardassians, indeed were descendant of reptilians.
  • kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Supposing evolution is correct, and Star Trek works under that supposition, humans are descended from reptiles. We just don't show many reptilian traits. Cardassians are just closer to their reptilian ancestors, though they also show mammalian traits. Like being able to crossbreed with the ostensibly fully mammalian Bajorans.

That said, I'm not sure I'd want to see a Gorn revolution. Mostly because I'd have to replace practically all of my Gorn's bridge crew. And an officer's commission, especially that of a high tier officer, can be expensive.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,873 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    With the Ancient Gorn........I have no idea, that's Kestrel's Department if she had any elaboration on what happened to the Ancient Gorn. All I remember is that in the Kassae mission is the Gorn were trying to assert claim on the world saying it was a world of the Ancient Gorn.

Cardassians, indeed were descendant of reptilians.

There we go then! After this war with the Voth is over they help the Cardassians rebuild and we will have our next semi faction...Cardassians and Voth as playable species! Not that it would happen in a million years but sounds like fun. :D
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    Just because both are reptililes does not mean they will be best friends or even like each other for that matter. They are 2 complete different species with 2 complete different histories so being that they are reptilian does automaticaly make them best buddies. At best it is a false equivelancy expecting them to be.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • quazar1492quazar1492 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Its possible that they could make a story where some Gorn side with the Voth to rebel against the Klingons, but of course we won't see an actual full blown revolution for two reasons:

1. (Metagame) they aren't going to remove a race from one of the factions for gameplay reasons of course.

2. (Lore) although the Gorn are a subject race that was recently conquered many of them strangely seem to have fully embraced the Klingons. The klingons are even slowly giving them position and responsibility in the empire and considering giving them representation on the High Council. There seems to be a kind of mutual respect deep down under the animosity. Although there are separatist groups, that is true of almost all nations.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A Gorn Hegemony separation from the Klingon empire need include nothing more than pulling back their people into Gorn space and maintaining their border. It might look like an ending of a formal alliance and border stabilization with mutual non aggression. The Gorn would not want to make the mistake of attacking a Klingon fleet and the Klingons have bigger fish to fry on other fronts.

Saurians have been active in the Fedaration for a long time, and have never been friendly with the Gorn just because of similar ancestry. Same for the Voth. There is no reason to think the xenophobic Voth would compromise their Doctrine for the sake of an unlikely zoological relationship. These are extremely different cultures with completely different alien biochemistry and intergalactic geography.

But yes, the Gorn should be their own empire again.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • crispy789crispy789 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Just because both are reptililes does not mean they will be best friends or even like each other for that matter. They are 2 complete different species with 2 complete different histories so being that they are reptilian does automaticaly make them best buddies. At best it is a false equivelancy expecting them to be.

The Voth are descended from dinosaurs, not reptiles. Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds than reptiles.