test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet warp cores

starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
I was curious if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of which warp core is best for which career/ship/role.

I spent a fair amount of time looking through them all, but I couldn't make any real sense of what the differences are, and how they would benefit each different setup.

Have any of you guys done a breakdown of them at all?
Post edited by starmada1 on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hrmmm, things will be complicated by: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=878941

S8's adding new cores into the mix.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hrmmm, things will be complicated by: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=878941

S8's adding new cores into the mix.

Fleet ships that your starbase shipyard can't build, and extra active-DOFF slots. Oooohhhh this is gonna make a mess....
  • hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2013
    Ya, that new doff slot. WTF! Get ready for some new balance twisting builds when that hits.
  • atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thanks for letting me know about this. I'll go read the list it looks like a beefy update.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay... well.. in the meantime, any advice?
    edited October 2013
    starmada1 wrote: »
    Okay... well.. in the meantime, any advice?

Of the existing ones, Elite cores with the [Amp] mod are the only ones worth getting, so that shortens your list considerably. Then you figure whether you want to boost engine and auxiliary, or shields and auxiliary, then make a list of those. Now your list is down to 6 and its a lot easier to compare.
  • mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Pretty much. Only the AMP + W->x cores are worth anything. Unless you're a torp boat or something that doesnt max W
    edited October 2013
    What does the [amp] do? I googled it and looked on the STO wiki and didn't find anything about it.
    edited October 2013
    starmada1 wrote: »
    What does the [amp] do? I googled it and looked on the STO wiki and didn't find anything about it.

For every energy level above 75, you get a 3.3% boost to damage. So if you can keep 3 of your ratings that high (not hard to do with the right tools, and even all 4 that high is totally doable), thats an extra 10% DPS just for breathing.
    edited October 2013
    Ah I see. Well thank you for the advice, I'll see if I can put it to good use.