test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kwiat007 wrote: »
    With every update there is less and less star trek in this game. Maybe you should think about changing the name, to avoid customer confusion.
    No there isn't. This game is 100% Star Trek. Just because you don't like something in Star Trek doesn't make it any less Star Trek.
  • shadowmane20001shadowmane20001 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When it comes to the Voth I am divided. Honestly. Having brought up the issue with some Voth being in the Distant Origins Theroy. And those dedicated to the Doctrine.

What I see is some sort of internal Civil Conflict being the most logical. With Voyager sparking it off. Like a Civil war. With the Sphere as a battle ground for it. Voth Doctrine is almost unknown. and perhaps rather then go into full scale civil war have rules which allow the current leadership to be challenged.

So I could see battles between heretics Voth seeking allies to help defeat their high council, in accordance with their rules, and those who are iron clad in following their doctrine. I understand this effectively is a second version of the Romulan star empire split. But still. I just don't want to see another case of. Oh hummmm another enemy for the Romulans, Klingons, and Federation to fight.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really guys? The dinosaur mounts are too far? From the same series that claims you can escape a black hole either by finding a crack in the event horizon or by blowing up your own warp core in it. While also having a single Borg Cube wiping out swaths of federation fleets in a movie but the heavily armored version gets disabled by a lone science vessel in the middle of nowhere, performs necromancy on a daily basis, had a Redshirt who was vaporized come back in a later story, solves problems by reversing the polarity (to you non-scientifics out there, that's putting the battery in backwards) and regularly sends the 3 senior most officers down to do grunt work with one actual grunt who's real job is to get killed to prove the situation is serious. And that's not even discussing things like the Talaxians or the Ocampan breeding cycle that halves their population every 9 years. And its the Dinosaur Mounts that are too far.

So I'm ok with Dinosaurs with Freaking Laser Beams because while it's utterly insane, its at least an amusing insane. Like no one's gonna laugh at the T-Rex gunning down an army of redshirts with a giant laser cannon. In my opinion, it's about ******n time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bonus points to all the people who think dinosaurs is too much of a stretch even though we already have:

two kinds of Lizard people
    Alien zombie cyborg hivemind
    Viking Samurai with an affinity for u-boat tactics in space, their cloned messiah, and the demonic forces of their folklore
    The Roswell Aliens
    Evil Crystals
    Time travelling bugs from Hell
    Space pirates
    The Predator
    Aliens that act like ghosts and are vulnerable to the gun from Ghostbusters

And I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
    What is essentially a diamond pinecone that destroys entire fleets isn't a problem, but god forbid cybernetic tyrannosaurs.

Hehe post of the day..

And I still want my dinosaur with frickin laser beams attached to it's frickin head... :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bonus points to all the people who think dinosaurs is too much of a stretch even though we already have:

two kinds of Lizard people
    Alien zombie cyborg hivemind
    Viking Samurai with an affinity for u-boat tactics in space, their cloned messiah, and the demonic forces of their folklore
    The Roswell Aliens
    Evil Crystals
    Time travelling bugs from Hell
    Space pirates
    The Predator
    Aliens that act like ghosts and are vulnerable to the gun from Ghostbusters

And I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
    What is essentially a diamond pinecone that destroys entire fleets isn't a problem, but god forbid cybernetic tyrannosaurs.

We don't have an alien zombie cyborg hivemind ala Axe-Cop, we have the Borg. What is the difference? Tone and presentation. "There are no bad ideas, just bad executions."
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    No there isn't. This game is 100% Star Trek. Just because you don't like something in Star Trek doesn't make it any less Star Trek.

This is not what Gene would have wanted, this is an all time low. A T REx with laser beams, its like Dr Evil should also be in the game, because thats the whole new level this game is going to!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As I have stated before:

Mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine MINE!!!

you give me hope for an impressive foe.. now open them up so I can test my new battcruiser against them.. maybe I will defect to the KDF since their reckless charge will likely draw the entire alpha quadrant into the frey. Maybe "task force delta"???
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    This is not what Gene would have wanted, this is an all time low. A T REx with laser beams, its like Dr Evil should also be in the game, because thats the whole new level this game is going to!!!

Full on BS...

Mr. Roddenberry would have been delighted... with this addition he would have been able to cover another plastic toy market and make a sh*tload of money!
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm going to reserve my full judgment till this stuff actually hits the game...

At the moment though, I'm leaning toward the "It's a bit too silly" side.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • zigadeiczigadeic Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Voth are gonna be so fun to kill cant wait for all the new accolades
    tumblr_m9xiz26mwj1rdabsoo1_r1_400.gif
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm going to reserve my full judgment till this stuff actually hits the game...

At the moment though, I'm leaning toward the "It's a bit too silly" side.
    Yeah, I agree.
  • damiendarkcastdamiendarkcast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is going to be fun. All I can say is Voth Boff our choice of profession plz :)
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    krisknives wrote: »
    We don't have an alien zombie cyborg hivemind ala Axe-Cop, we have the Borg. What is the difference? Tone and presentation. "There are no bad ideas, just bad executions."

Exactly, and seeing as the voth were executed to the same standards as the races I mentioned in the show, I don't see the problem with expanding on them here. I don't see the difference between them using phaser-armed velociraptors and klingons sicking targs and hortas on people, aside from people's personal stigmas.

Everyone remembers the dinobots, but no one remembers the pet rock fad. Double standards!
    edited October 2013

Didn't know you could psychically link to Genes mind to tell us what he wants. There's probably a lot in the Trek he didn't want, and there's probably a lot that's been added and he would have thought "Damn why didn't I think of that??"

If you want Star Trek to remain "limited" to what was put on the screen you'll find the game would stagnate and die very rapidly. But thanks to the hundreds of novels written, the movies made and PROGRESSION AND EVOLUTION Star Trek continues to grow and increase in what is so called "canon". New ships, new species, and yes A dinosaur with laser beams...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    edited October 2013
    Everyone remembers the dinobots, but no one remembers the pet rock fad. Double standards!
    I remember dinobots! My brother use to collect them when he was seven.
  • archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Tyrannosaurs and raptors with frickin laser beams on their heads? Oh dear lord...

And shouldn't that raptor have feathers? :p

But I want those mech suits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slick4scienceslick4science Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    While I am enjoying running my 50 sci VA around STO, I hope the Voth do not ruin it. First the Elachi and now the Voth as dev created villains. I appreciate all the devs do (and the Foundry too) for adding new content to explore but I am a bit worried the "dev pets" will be too powerful for players to counter because its a natural human reaction to make YOUR guy the best at everything. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but thats how I feel.

That being said, I hope we get to play STO for a long time because right now its the only thing carrying the torch for the REAL Trek universe (hated "Into the Darkness")
    Tervok Romulan Science/KDF Ally (active)

Kalex 50 Starfleet science (inactive)

Vanra 50 Romulan/Fed Tactical (inactive)
  • goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Seriously? We're going Jurassic Park in space now? Come on.......................

yep like martin Luther king said you ever had a dream
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    Full on BS...

Mr. Roddenberry would have been delighted... with this addition he would have been able to cover another plastic toy market and make a sh*tload of money!

I tihnk you have never watched the documentary on Gene, made by his son, trust me when I say, he would have been angry with the new films and this game, would never have been made like this. If he was still around...

Gene had a vision of the future, he saw mankind on a different level then we are today....

Friggen T-Rex with laser beams was not one of them...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    archanubis wrote: »
    Tyrannosaurs and raptors with frickin laser beams on their heads? Oh dear lord...

And shouldn't that raptor have feathers? :p

But I want those mech suits.

raptors MAY have evolved feathers later yes but these dino-decendants left before then (apparently)
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »

Limited, you really do not know Star Trek...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »

I love the Dinobots, and especially Dinobot from Beast Wars. As for pet rocks - I got those by walking outside and "adopting" the "strays." Saved a lot of money that way. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    I tihnk you have never watched the documentary on Gene, made by his son, trust me when I say, he would have been angry with the new films and this game, would never have been made like this. If he was still around...

Gene had a vision of the future, he saw mankind on a different level then we are today....

As someone who is a casual "Star Trek" fan, I am in actual agreement with your statement. I believe the documentary is called "Trek Nation".
    edited October 2013

Seeing mankind on a different level is one thing, doesn't mean every other species in the galaxy is going to be like us, and if one of them has a laser blasting dino with anger management issues and a big appetite, well too bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    edited October 2013
    kintisho wrote: »
    raptors MAY have evolved feathers later yes but these dino-decendants left before then (apparently)

Not really; if you subscribe to the thought that the Jurassic-age Archaeopteryx was a member of the raptor family, then raptors had been feathered long before the Cretaceous-era hadrosaurs appeared.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Congratulations Cryptic, I didn't think you'd do it but you did!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is not what Gene would have wanted, this is an all time low.
    You don't know that, frankly.
    A T REx with laser beams, its like Dr Evil should also be in the game, because thats the whole new level this game is going to!!!
    The Doctor Evil line was a joke. It has nothing to do with the dinosaurs. Again, armored dinosaurs are completely plausible in-universe given the Voth's situation.

Why we humans haven't armored-up our monkeys the same way, I'll never know...
    edited October 2013
    While I am enjoying running my 50 sci VA around STO, I hope the Voth do not ruin it. First the Elachi and now the Voth as dev created villains. I appreciate all the devs do (and the Foundry too) for adding new content to explore but I am a bit worried the "dev pets" will be too powerful for players to counter because its a natural human reaction to make YOUR guy the best at everything. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but thats how I feel.

That being said, I hope we get to play STO for a long time because right now its the only thing carrying the torch for the REAL Trek universe (hated "Into the Darkness")

2 Other games are in the making, taking very slow to bring out though...

Excalibur, which is going to be like elite, get in your ship and explore the universe!

http://www.stexcalibur.com/

Also Bridge Commander 2 is also being produced. Both being made by fans for the fans. TBH with the way this game is going I cannot wait...

http://www.indiedb.com/games/bridge-commander-2

Both games have better graphics then STO and much better space battle sim... However Excalibur is space only, which I prefer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Alright...
    You know he wrote Lyrics to the Original Theme Song that were never used simply to sack 50% of the Royalties?
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I use to work at a toy store part time...

I remember buying my nephew the big Dinobots Brontosaurs (Apatosaurus) toy set for Xmas one year.

The thing was like four feet long and three feet tall.

It came with all kinds of missile and gun attachments and several little figures.

I thought it was pretty cool at the time, he of course went bonkers over it.

Never thought that I'd see it's ilk in Trek though.
    :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif