test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next Two Factions

reyreyzeroreyreyzero Member Posts: 29 Arc User
I for one didn't really like the Romulan Republic (at first). I would have preferred to play as Tal Shiar, but I know Cryptic has stated the weren't going to create any "evil" factions. However, what's considered to be good or evil is really a matter of perspective. By this reasoning, I think as Cryptic expands their map to feature areas within the Gamma and Delta quadrants. The next two factions should be the Dominion and the Borg (the two most evil TRIBBLE forces in the ST universe). The Dominion faction would be separate from the True Way as will the Delta quadrant Borg from the Alpha quadrant Borg (possibly a splinter group).

The Dominion Faction:
Playable - Changeling, Vorta, Jem'Hadar, Cardassian, Breen, Son'a, Hunter/Tosk, and Dosi.
Non-playable - the Hur'q.
Main Hub - Possibly a Dominion starbase orbiting the former Founder homeworld in the Omarion Nebula.
Ships - Jem'Hadar, Cardassian, and Breen. (namely the ones that haven't been pilfered for lock boxes).

The Borg Faction:
Playable (with the option of being liberated) - Talaxian, Kazon, Ocampa, Vidiian, Hirogen, and Trabe.
Non'playable - The Swarm and the Hierarchy.
Main Hub - Borg Prime.
Ships - Borg designs and possibly liberated Kazon, Vidiian, and Hirogen.

I found this concept map online which features the other two quadrants:
http://fav.me/d6pxaq4

I realize i'm probably not the first to have this idea, I just wanted to bring it up I guess.
Post edited by reyreyzero on

Comments

• telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I always loved the dominion, but if theyre added as a faction I want them to be 'true' dominion - not their temporary alpha quadrant allies. Founders, vorta, and jemhadar as the only playable species, with dosi as possible boffs/doffs.

Unique racial traits would fit in well here, too. Founders of course get shapeshifting, and a worship trait which causes all active vorta and jemhadar bridge officers and away team members to gain efficiency.
    Vorta get a leadership trait which improves the effectiveness of jemhadsr boffs/away team members.
    Jemhadar get a k-white trait that improves stats if ketracel is in a device slot.

the intrigue of the dominion comes from its perfectly engineered combatants, not its subjugated allies.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If there is going to be another Expansion Pack I pray that Cryptic has the good sense to realize this game needs Mission Content far more then it needs another Faction. The Federation, Klingon, and Romulan players need new things to do rather then just the same Rep-grind Mission over and over.

Please, let the next Expansion Pack be opening up the Delta or Gamma Quadrant full of exploration and Missions for all 3 Factions!
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If there is a Next Faction, it will most likley be the True Way versions of the Cardassians.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • reyreyzeroreyreyzero Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I always loved the dominion, but if theyre added as a faction I want them to be 'true' dominion - not their temporary alpha quadrant allies. Founders, vorta, and jemhadar as the only playable species, with dosi as possible boffs/doffs.

Unique racial traits would fit in well here, too. Founders of course get shapeshifting, and a worship trait which causes all active vorta and jemhadar bridge officers and away team members to gain efficiency.
    Vorta get a leadership trait which improves the effectiveness of jemhadsr boffs/away team members.
    Jemhadar get a k-white trait that improves stats if ketracel is in a device slot.

the intrigue of the dominion comes from its perfectly engineered combatants, not its subjugated allies.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just figured they already have the Hunter species in the alien creation content, why not have a few other options like the Tosk or Son'a. Otherwise, right on:)
    edited October 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    If there is a Next Faction, it will most likley be the True Way versions of the Cardassians.
    Cryptic is not going to let players play terrorists - especially since Cardassia is a protectorate of the Federation and asking for membership in this timeline.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Actually they'd be the least likely, seeing as Cryptic has stated "no evil factions." So actually, the next faction would likely be the Detapa Council Cardassians.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reyreyzero wrote: »
    I for one didn't really like the Romulan Republic (at first).
    I didn't like the idea behind the mini faction setup. I still don't. That said, I did enjoy the Republic content. I just wish they'd have done a full faction with it.
    By this reasoning, I think as Cryptic expands their map to feature areas within the Gamma and Delta quadrants. The next two factions should be the Dominion and the Borg (the two most evil TRIBBLE forces in the ST universe).
    :rolleyes:

A Dominion Faction could work. A Borg Faction though? God No!
    The Dominion Faction:
    Playable - Changeling, Vorta, Jem'Hadar, Cardassian, Breen, Son'a, Hunter/Tosk, and Dosi.
    Regardless of other species, the Cardassian and Breen should not be included in any potential Dominion Faction. I swear some people have forgotten (or not watched) the end of DS9. Cardassians and the Dominion didn't finish up on good terms. Heck, the Dominion (and Breen) executed billions of Cardassian Citizens.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If there is going to be another Expansion Pack I pray that Cryptic has the good sense to realize this game needs Mission Content far more then it needs another Faction. The Federation, Klingon, and Romulan players need new things to do rather then just the same Rep-grind Mission over and over.
    I wouldn't mind if Cryptic did a grand overhaul of the mission/campaign/story system. We've far too many aimless episodes (especially for the Federation) that could be done without.
    Please, let the next Expansion Pack be opening up the Delta or Gamma Quadrant full of exploration and Missions for all 3 Factions!
    As the Voth are coming, you may get your wish in regard to Delta Quadrant expansion.
    No it wont. If there is a new faction, it'll likely be Cardassians sure, but not the True Way. They're the bad guys remember? Cryptic don't do bad playable factions.

I still think Cryptic should have combined Romulan Refugees with Cardassian Refugees, a new sector left of Alpha Centauri and released them as a stand alone (yet somewhat neutral) faction. STO will still be the Red vs Blue that they want to keep (cause it would still focus on the FED/KDF war), but we'd have the third independent faction that many of us wished for, and they could have killed two birds with one stone.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dominion no because they are bad guys and we already have their ships in game. Cardassians already have the Galor in game as well and Breen have one of their ships in game also.

Any new faction should not have any of their ships already in game that anyone can use.

I think they should wait a wile before any new factions. Make more end game stuff to do.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If there was to be a new faction, I would like to see a Trader / Privateer faction. Where players could have an alternate way of playing the game without more rehash of content.

Because after leveling up Romulan characters and hitting endgame........there really is no difference except the ships themselves. And that gets boring over time.
    edited October 2013
    Any new faction should not have any of their ships already in game that anyone can use.
    If you're wanting the new faction to be without existing ships, you're not including any of the big Trek players in this proposal. You'd need to stick with the big players to acquire enough interest.

Lets say Cryptic throw a minor faction at us; lets say... the Vidiian. I seriously doubt many people are going to start up a Vidiian character. The species just isn't grand and important enough.

Playable Factions need to stick with the big guys, and the next one in line should be the Cardassians. Sure, they've released the Galor already, and yes, that was a mistake (a mistake admitted by a Dev or two as well). Still, the Galor is an old design by 25th century standards, I'm sure Cryptic would throw new ships out in it's place. Heck, even the Keldon could be used in its stead.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am going to echo everyone and say Keep Cardassians and Dominion separate.

As for the Borg. Much as I would love to run around in a borg uniform (aka exoskeleton) and fly a Borg ship, I have one concern. The Liberated Borg characters currently in game. You would have to set up any borg faction as not stepping on the toes of those who bought a lifetime membership for the purpose of having a Lib Borg which may or may not be a moot point after a borg faction was created (especially considering the exoskeleton and ship part)
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I believe it would be best if they stopped adding factions till the romulans are made a full faction. We dont need any more federation pets. We need full viable factions that stand on their own.
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
    edited October 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    I believe it would be best if they stopped adding factions till the romulans are made a full faction. We dont need any more federation pets. We need full viable factions that stand on their own.
    The Roms are never going to be a full Faction. You might as well accept this - especially since DStahl was talking about Micro-Factions a year before we even knew LoR was coming. :)
    edited October 2013
    I believe it would be best if they stopped adding factions till the romulans are made a full faction.
    Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

I seriously doubt the Romulans could be made into an independent faction, not now. Too much work has gone into them for the allegiance system for them to undo it all. We're never going to see independent Romulans (and believe me, I wish we were). In addition to that, I believe it's been clarified already that any future factions will be implemented in the same fashion that the Romulans have been, thus more mini factions.

If/When the Cardassians come out, I'll be making one character. He'll align with the Federation. I have a Romulan character aligned with the KDF already, and I have FED & KDF characters already.

The only factions I have ever had interest in playing were the main four (current plus Cardassians). If a 5th faction is ever introduced, I wont be touching it. Not unless it does turn out to be independent and then I'll see what it's all about first before deciding whether to stick with it or not.
  • captainkeatzcaptainkeatz Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Some people don't understand...

You don't play Borg. Borg play you.

Seriously, how would playing the Borg even work? They are all remote controlled drones. They don't act on their own, cruising the galaxy in their pimped out geometric shapes and farming marks.
    edited October 2013

Seriously, how would playing the Borg even work? They are all remote controlled drones. They don't act on their own, cruising the galaxy in their pimped out geometric shapes and farming marks.
    Not to mention that DStahl has already stated that any Borg Faction added to the game would be Hugh's Liberated Borg, not the actual Borg.
    edited October 2013
    Well, to be quite honest, I know D'Stahl wont lift a finger to do anything with the romulans.. I hope, but sometimes hope is wrongly placed.. I'm just happy there are other and far better space games coming. What Stahl has done to star trek aught to be a crime..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013

As thecosmic1 said, I am going off the fact that what you are having is a hugh style Liberated borg or a Unimatrix Zero group rather then a member of the Collective. At least for storyline purposes.

I can still use my imagination to pretend I am out there in the galaxy assimilating poor unsuspecting sentients can't I? :P
    edited October 2013
    Well, to be quite honest, I know D'Stahl wont lift a finger to do anything with the romulans.. I hope, but sometimes hope is wrongly placed.. I'm just happy there are other and far better space games coming. What Stahl has done to star trek aught to be a crime..
    DStahl isn't the one who decided the game should only have Red vrs Blue PvP - that decision was made by a large group of people who had to decide whether the changes to the programming to make it possible was worth the potential revenue gain. DStahl's just the guy that has to OK things once the decisions were made.

And good luck in those other space games. SC will be here in May of 2015 - assuming it's not delayed. :)
    edited October 2013

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RkUHBeKcZXE/TG0wwDfVoeI/AAAAAAAAADA/pThiGchD3K0/s1600/Smallest-Violin.jpg
    edited October 2013
    As thecosmic1 said, I am going off the fact that what you are having is a hugh style Liberated borg or a Unimatrix Zero group rather then a member of the Collective. At least for storyline purposes.

I can still use my imagination to pretend I am out there in the galaxy assimilating poor unsuspecting sentients can't I? :P

No.. Absolutely not. You are not allowed to have any imagination in this game whatsoever.. Ypu will buy everything they sell and you will use ity only in the particular way they want you to use it. you will not RP but you WILL uphold the delicate PVP balance between the federation and klingons even IF your race is a Sylurian grub worm...

And i hope you realize i'm just pulling your leg :)..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    DStahl isn't the one who decided the game should only have Red vrs Blue PvP - that decision was made by a large group of people who had to decide whether the changes to the programming to make it possible was worth the potential revenue gain. DStahl's just the guy that has to OK things once the decisions were made.

And good luck in those other space games. SC will be here in May of 2015 - assuming it's not delayed. :)

Actually, there aren't even enough players to support Red vs Blue PvP. Trying to extend that to Red v Blue v Green would just have been wasted effort.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited October 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Actually, there aren't even enough players to support Red vs Blue PvP. Trying to extend that to Red v Blue v Green would just have been wasted effort.
    I have no idea how many PvPers there are. Cryptic does, though. They can push a button and get that information from their Server Data at will. Either way, though, a decision was made about potential changes to Red/Blue long before the story was written for LoR.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic said no evil factions?

Borg are not evil - They simply wish to improve. Everything they do is for survival
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    If you're wanting the new faction to be without existing ships, you're not including any of the big Trek players in this proposal. You'd need to stick with the big players to acquire enough interest.

Having Cardassian faction but anyone can use their most common and iconic Cardassian ship the Galor. Nope that just does not sound right to me.

If they add Cardassians strip everone of their Galor and refund them with a lot of Lobi for each Galor they lose. Galor would then be part of Cardassian faction.

Personally I think if Cardassian is playable it should be as a Species for the existing factions. I think having Federation,Romulan and Klingons should remain the only playable factions and instead of adding new story missions for a new faction they should instead focus on end game.
  • reyreyzeroreyreyzero Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, if it's believable that a fleet of Jem'Hadar have remained in the Alpha quadrant and joined the True Way then is it not possible for a Cardassian or Breen fleet to remain loyal to the Dominion? The Path to 2409 is all fan fiction anyway. I personally like to think of it as canon but still. Besides, the final season of DS9 took place some 30 years prior to the events in STO.
    edited October 2013
    elessym wrote: »

Thats absolutely correct. There arent enough zpvp'rs to maintain snot. So PVPers can go play another game.. Give us our bloody faction in its correct form.
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
    edited October 2013
    Thats absolutely correct. There arent enough zpvp'rs to maintain snot. So PVPers can go play another game.. Give us our bloody faction in its correct form.

Well, seeing as you agree that PVP is largely irrelevant, then we already have a "complete" third faction, as Romulan PVE content is distinct enough from Federation and Klingon PVE content. A "complete" faction in the fashion of your personal discontent only matters in PVP.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I for one didn't really like the Romulan Republic (at first). I would have preferred to play as Tal Shiar, but I know Cryptic has stated the weren't going to create any "evil" factions. However, what's considered to be good or evil is really a matter of perspective. By this reasoning, I think as Cryptic expands their map to feature areas within the Gamma and Delta quadrants. The next two factions should be the Dominion and the Borg (the two most evil TRIBBLE forces in the ST universe). The Dominion faction would be separate from the True Way as will the Delta quadrant Borg from the Alpha quadrant Borg (possibly a splinter group).

The Dominion Faction:
    Main Hub - Possibly a Dominion starbase orbiting the former Founder homeworld in the Omarion Nebula.
    Ships - Jem'Hadar, Cardassian, and Breen. (namely the ones that haven't been pilfered for lock boxes).

The Borg Faction:
    Playable (with the option of being liberated) - Talaxian, Kazon, Ocampa, Vidiian, Hirogen, and Trabe.
    Non'playable - The Swarm and the Hierarchy.
    Main Hub - Borg Prime.
    Ships - Borg designs and possibly liberated Kazon, Vidiian, and Hirogen.

I found this concept map online which features the other two quadrants:
    http://fav.me/d6pxaq4

I realize i'm probably not the first to have this idea, I just wanted to bring it up I guess.

First off I'm glad these will never happen, second off some of these races you chose don't make any sense. The Dominion would never let those treacherous Cardassions rejoin, the Dosi might have been members but never saw a single one in combat.

The Borg...the Borg didn't assimilate the Kazon...why would they do it now? I doubt if the Borg would have much interest in the Trabe either...seeing as Kazon tech is stolen Trabe tech...the Trabe sounds decadent and were defeated by the Kazon...so like I said I doubt the Borg would have interest.

If we get a new faction it will likely be the Cardassians and they will be in similar circumstances as the Romulan Republic.
  • archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I've always been against the idea of the Borg being a playable faction. The Borg work as a NPC enemy, but as a playable faction, I don't think they have much story beyond "assimilate this, kill those Undine." Kinda the same with the Dominion.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    If we get a new faction it will likely be the Cardassians and they will be in similar circumstances as the Romulan Republic.

This. It's more than likely that any Cardassian faction will involve the new, post Dominion, "democratic" Cardassian government. After all, it's the True Way that are considered the renegades in that part of the galaxy (a reverse of how things go in the Romulan storyline).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]