test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Of all the ST non canon series, which would you like to make canon?

captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Ten Forward
I would choose STO. First of all is because I like the storyline and it also incorporates two other series: New Frontier and Titan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
Post edited by captclazorus on

Comments

• kriskniveskrisknives Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm not sure how making anything canon would matter at this point since the series is all focused on the new timeline so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I guess if I had to pick something I would say the Star Trek X-men crossover just so the could have an episode where the crew goes down to the Holodeck and enjoy an X-men holonovel or something. I imagine good writers could have a field day with that like some of the other good Holodeck based episodes. :D
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    New Frontier. I'd love to see a live action Zak Kebron :cool:
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not a series, but a single book. Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, a TOS/TNG crossover. Unfortunately they already smashed up the backstory of Zefram Cochrane from that book with Star Trek: First Contact.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars

Simply because I'd like to see a miniseries based on the ascension of Khan Noonien Singh, cultimating with his eventual defeat and escape on the Botany Bay.

/Darrell Hammond should play Bill Clinton when he surrenders America to Khan

EDIT: Also "To Reign in Hell" which starts with Khan arriving on Ceti Alpha V immediately after Space Seed and cultimates with finding two figures in EVA suits on the surface of the now-desolate wasteland.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2013
    Diane Duane's books on Romulan (Rihannsu) history and culture. Last I knew it was non-canonical, anyway.

I'd also like bits from Ford's The Last Reflection made canonical. Most definitely klin'zha, especially the Klingon gladiatorial games version.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Diane Carey books "Enterprise" and "Best Destiny", which tells the story of the Enterprise-no-suffix's first voyage (featuring Robert April, Sarah Poole and George Kirk) and 'Best Destiny' which is actually two stories in one; how getting drug back into space by his father turned a young punk from Iowa into the Kobayashi Maru-cheating Starfleet cadet we all know and love... and how being forced to confront that time some fifty or sixty years later shows one retiring Captain and crew that neither they nor their ship are as 'Old' as people try to claim they are.

"Best Destiny" has GREAT scenes; George Kirk can't hit one of the pirates who attacked the ship because he's too young... Jimmy Kirk walks up, takes the guy by the elbow... and leaves he out cold on the floor; Captain James T. Kirk informs Starfleet Command that they will not be decommissioning the Constitution-class because some of the other methods still work better than the newer methods of the Excelsior-class...

And my personal favorite, McCoy's last line;
    "Now Scotty's got to sell his boat and I've gotta send back the firewood I just had delivered to my cabin, and Spock'll have to starch his backup uniform - you know what a problem you are? Lewis and Clark and Kirk-"
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Vanguard and the Destiny Trilogy. The former because it adds positively to TOS and the latter because it has real "end of the world" feel to it and resolves the Borg problem in a very satisfactory way.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd also like bits from Ford's The Final Reflection made canonical. Most definitely klin'zha, especially the Klingon gladiatorial games version.
    Klin zha kinta, "the game with the living pieces". Played in two modes - one simply uses living beings to work through the standard klin zha rules; the other actually has the two "pieces" fight to the death whenever a space needs defended. (It actually is referenced in one STO Fed mission, when you free the rebellious Klingon who tips you off about B'vat's Doomsday Machine; he likens the entire situation to a game of klin zha.)

I also liked Ford's linguistic games. ("Klin" is the basic warrior principle; "-gon" is a suffix indicating an embodiment. Thus, a "Klingon" is the embodiment of the warrior concept. Also, the suffix "-aase" indicates a tool used for manipulating something, relating to kaase, or "hand"; thus the language "Klingonaase", being the tool used for manipulating Klingons.) And Ford knew that there was no way species from differing worlds could interbreed casually (we can't even breed with chimpanzees, who share 98% of our DNA), so in The Final Reflection he said that such "halfbreeds" are accomplished with "fusions", fusing DNA in a laboratory procedure. The Klingons would create fusions in order to gain insight into neighboring races, mostly the best ways to attack them. Such fusions would then be set to patrolling the border, so that strangers never knew what the Imperial Race looked like. (Every Klingon in TOS was a fusion, which is why the lobster-heads weren't seen; presumably, until the Imperial Race showed itself on the borders, the Romulans assumed Klingons all had pointy ears.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited October 2013
    after a fashion, some of the "fusion" bit actually did become canonical, with Enterprise's explanation of Klingon tinkering with augment genetics.

Though I understand what the TNG writers created with the Klingons, I really wish they'd take a hard look at Ford's work and see what they can salvage. He really did a marvelous job creating for that book. The details are fun, too. There's a moment in it where the Klingon protagonist visits Atlanta as part of a diplomatic mission. The building, where he meets a certain country doctor's grandpappy, was stated to be very old. I recognized the description as I see it every time I take a long weekend down to Atlanta (about 150 miles away). :cool:

A few other bits I'd like to see canon:

1. The transporter body-swapping from The Price of the Phoenix

2. The bizarre and powerful telepathic insectoid invasion force from Planet of Judgement

3. First in elite force units from the Voyager Elite Force video games (I mean, what navy allows nearly their entire command structure to be the landing team in an unknown situation?)

4. The Fed/Klingon pie fight from How Much For Just The Planet (okay, not really, but it was wonderful fun. :D )
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Star Trek: Invasion series. First Strike, The Soldiers of Fear, Time's Enemy and The Final Fury
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    At the risk of sounding like a cheap plug for my fiction, I would really like to see a series about CatStar, CGI style like clone wars, only better art models!

But with the new romulan storyline and stuff, I would also like to see a series based upon that too! Maybe something aboard that little green saucer ship, I forget what its called now.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The IKS Gorkon and Vanguard series are pretty much the only novels I think are worthy enough to be canon. The rest read like fanfics, IMO.

Game-wise - The FASA Romulan books which I think are WAAAAAAAAAAY better than Diane Duane's ridiculous "Rhihansu" series. And Star Trek: Invasion was a great game with a cool story.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
    edited October 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a cheap plug for my fiction, I would really like to see a series about CatStar, CGI style like clone wars, only better art models!

But with the new romulan storyline and stuff, I would also like to see a series based upon that too! Maybe something aboard that little green saucer ship, I forget what its called now.

How about the novel "Uhura's Song"?
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    How about the novel "Uhura's Song"?

:O I just goggled it, wow I'll have to read that one! But sure, if they add in Caitians to a show for once I'd support that!!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    :O I just goggled it, wow I'll have to read that one! But sure, if they add in Caitians to a show for once I'd support that!!
    Have you watched The Animated Series? I thought it was quite good.

But yeah, it'd be great to see that stuff revisited in live action.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I always liked the Animated Series. It had some really cool stuff I would like to see more of. (Oy, ya that devs? ;))

Personally, I would like to see a few of the novels by Diane Duane become canon. A few of them can't. But she was really creative with her aliens and monsters. Something which doesn't happen in the Star Trek universe often. :rolleyes:
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i'd like to see 3 of my fav novels one happens after the tos motion piction called star trek new earth by diane carey. then ST:TNG blaze of glory by simon hawke and voyager invasion the final fury by dafydd ab hugh.

edited October 2013
    Something else I wouldn't mind seeing become canon, though it would cause record-keepers a headache having to revise the loss numbers from Wolf-359...

The game "Star Trek: Borg". Anyone else remember it?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    edited October 2013
    Something else I wouldn't mind seeing become canon, though it would cause record-keepers a headache having to revise the loss numbers from Wolf-359...

The game "Star Trek: Borg". Anyone else remember it?

YouTube is your friend.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Klingon Academy": It had FMVs and just about everything in them fits perfectly into the established universe. It was well written and well performed. What more could one want?
  • keklilykeklily Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know of a alternate universe which I would like to see highlighted. It's inspired from the Star Trek universe but is it's own universe. it's inhabited by Chakats.
    edited October 2013

I know it's on YouTube; I watch it there every so often... though a different video that the one you linked.

"Borg" has a great storyline, some of John de Lancie's best work as Q, and I love the Captain and crew's attitude at the end; "We're a Starfleet ship in Federation space; we may be ten years behind the times, but I bet we know a thing or two more about the Borg than anyone else in this time."

That line always makes me think of the movie "Final Countdown"; though in reverse - the ship's thrown forwards in time, not back...
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The book you are looking for is not "Enterprise" but "Final Frontier", telling the story of George Kirk and Robert April as they take the unnamed 1st Contitution class out for a spin.
    edited October 2013
    The book you are looking for is not "Enterprise" but "Final Frontier", telling the story of George Kirk and Robert April as they take the unnamed 1st Contitution class out for a spin.

Is that the one where they enter the nebula to rescue a stranded ship? and George names the Enterprise?