Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #48

Comments

• Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    Sold for 2,500 zen!

:)

Challenge will be is to figure out what type of console to put into the science slot.

Yeah maximum of 1 shield generator and any universal console will either sacrifice basic armor or firepower...
    Slightly better on the fleet version were you get to bastardize another sci slot for a universal console.

I had a similar problem on the fleet Regent, but then I rarely use a science BO at all on that ship, only recently started again after ditching my torps.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It was made for the updated Federation tutorial. The current plan is that this bridge will become the new default bridge for Fed ships (that don't have custom ones).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's a pretty fancy bridge for a default bridge.:eek:
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well TRIBBLE, the adjustment to the stats doesn't really make it worth it for me. I don't want to put cannons or cloak on it, so I was liking the shield mod. It will be near a year before they release another fed cruiser. I wish they would just offer a new tier of ships every 3-4 years, yeah it makes old purchases obsolete, but you could have it for a couple years. At some point there is only so many ways to skin a cat and you will have to move on to larger mammals. :eek:
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Yeah maximum of 1 shield generator and any universal console will either sacrifice basic armor or firepower...
    Slightly better on the fleet version were you get to bastardize another sci slot for a universal console.
    Tactical consoles can be used for enhancing firepower. Engineering consoles can be used to enhance your hull.

I was thinking of a console that enhances turn rate or crew survivability.

You can always put a universal console in the tactical or engineering section.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It was made for the updated Federation tutorial. The current plan is that this bridge will become the new default bridge for Fed ships (that don't have custom ones).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I am glad we're getting a new bridge! Looks very nice, too. May I ask- is the entire interior getting a similar makeover? What about the C-Store bridges, which some of us paid for, and which will soon pale in comparison to the free bridge everyone is getting?
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013

array length has an additive effect on how powerful a beam fired from an array can be, a ship with short main arrays like these has terribly gimped shot potential.

Give me Canon evidence for this, books (so in turn Tech manuals) are not Canon, only Shows and Movies.
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2013
    my 1 gripe with the ship is that again, the arrays on the saucer arent connected for no reason, aside from that being an esthetic of the intrepid and sovereign, and thus very short.

array length has an additive effect on how powerful a beam fired from an array can be, a ship with short main arrays like these has terribly gimped shot potential. thats the last thing a battlecruiser would have, the saucer would be designed around an array that was as long as possible. at least its saved by the fact that its intended to use cannons primarily. BUT, it gets lost in defiant fanboy translation that cannons are a compromised weapons for ships that arent large enough to be fitted with long arrays, arrays that have a firing arc of everything they have line of sight with, instead of only strait in front of them.

the trek science behind this is that arrays are made up of dasie chained emitters, and that every emitter is its own individual phaser bank, with all the internal workings needed to store energy and fire it independently. just like the ball turrets on old ships. the moveing glow effect along the array before a shot is fired in the show is the the power stored in each emitter being transferred along the array to the point that the computer chooses to fire from.

arrays only fire 1 shot at a time, with the combined power of however many emitters were used to power the shot, up to and including every emitter in a particular array. its much more devastating to fire 1 shot with the power of 100, then 100 shots with the power of 1. you want 1 long array for greatest effective firepower potential, not 2 or 4 separated ones.

given this fact, i can only facepalm every time a new cryptic starfleet ship is designed and it has pitifully tiny arrays, like this battlecruiser, and the odyssey. the frigging galaxy class, that in game is the meekest of all cruisers, has the most powerful phaser potential in all of canon, yet in game everything is exactly backward. the odyssey, the galaxy replacement, doesn't even have arrays longer then the sovereign, how it it supposed to replace the galaxy if its got half its firepower, during the most wartorn era in trek history? based on the trek science behind arrays, nothing by 2409 has even close to the galaxy class's array shot potential, does it make sense now why the biggest thread on the forum is about how you guys have the galaxy class all wrong yet?

please go back and give us a saucer costume option for this ship with 1 solid dorsal and 1 solid ventral saucer array, and maybe with the cannon hardpoints toned down. that way depending on if we wanted to use beams or cannons on the ship, we could have a saucer that looked correct for ether. from what i saw of the model on tribble, there did not appear to be geometry in the way that would even prevent them from being joined, it looked nice and flat.

Don't worry details like that go way past the game, since you can slot the exact same beam array on shuttle that you can on a cruisers, even if the entire beam array is larger then the shuttle. Or the defiant.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I could see myself switching my ships over to that bridge. Though I think the helm consoles need some chairs.
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same thing, eh? Wrong. Different thing is more accurate

Indeed, for those of you who don't know what the difference is, essentially a Battleship carries heavy armor and armament, they're hard to bring down, and hit hard, but they're slow and cumbersome. A Battle CRUISER on the other hand is a standard cruiser with heavy weapons and light armor designed to run down slower, heavier ships and pummel them into submission.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    natthaannatthaan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So the Feds made a Pod layer. huh, guess they do learn a thing form Honor Harrington :D

(come on i cant be the only one who sees the VATA like a missle pod)
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So what are the details of the module discount? how many do I need? ( I will be purchasing the ship from z-store)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kintisho wrote: »
    So what are the details of the module discount? how many do I need? ( I will be purchasing the ship from z-store)

Without the C-Store version it costs 4 Modules, with it only costs 1 for the fleet version
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Without the C-Store version it costs 4 Modules, with it only costs 1 for the fleet version

thank you thats what I thought but wasnt sure TY!!
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Oh dear God no.

Its another Baseball Stadium and reason why people like Romulan Interiors is that its properly scaled, that one very much commit all the crimes that current Fed bridges have that is why people complain about it.
    You do know that you can change the bridge to whatever you want it to be, you don't have to use the default if you think it looks horrible. I, for one, think the new bridge layout looks pretty cool.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Everyone, please, spam the game telling federation players not to buy this ship. I'm not against it, in fact I have one character that this ship will be perfect for. But if the sale numbers are so poor for the first 3 days then they will also add on a hanger bay! :D
  • Options
    endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Does anyone know what type of ship is being fired on in the second picture, the V.A.T.A strategic maneuvering?
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Does anyone know what type of ship is being fired on in the second picture, the V.A.T.A strategic maneuvering?

Looks like a Breen Chel Grett to me.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    kirahitomikirahitomi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Looks like the Chel Grett...
    "Lets see what this button does..."
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Looks like a Breen cruiser.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013

One of the Vesta Line I believe, poss. the Aventine Class.

EDIT: lol, nevermind, I'm blind, that looks more Breen now that I take a second look
  • Options
    nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like it! Would like it even more if the it could use the Torpedo PDS from the Armi :D Cant count the times I look for that thing while on an alt who's ship can't use it :o
  • Options
    malnificentmalnificent Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I gotta add i think Cryptic missed a golden opportunity here. So much backstory points to Starfleet engineering this monster to directly compete with the Klingons.

We'll this was their opportunity to give the Federation its first cloaking ship that didn't need the damned console. By now you'd think they'd have solved that technical challenge or simply stole the incorporating tech.

Really. Would it have killed Cryptic to have finally moved beyond the cloak console limitation? I'm not suggesting all Starfleet ships going forward getting incorporated cloak but this should have been the first of a couple to come ... eventually.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Good work guys, you whined and got the shield mod nerfed. :rolleyes:

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let's talk about key binds. Is the VATA console activated by a single button, which responds to the operator's currently active Cruiser Command stance? Or is it three buttons, two of which are disabled at any given time (like the Lotus/Shield Drain on the Veteran ships)?
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Give me Canon evidence for this, books (so in turn Tech manuals) are not Canon, only Shows and Movies.

the guids are more canon then you think. the information in them was writen by the same people that made things the way they were in the show. its not some auther writing a star trek story. even the visual effects fit perfectly with the way phaser arrays were described as working.

f2pdrakron wrote: »
    There is no reason to connect then either, Klingon Battlecruisers that we KNOW have Disruptor beams arent wrapped in strips either, the Defiant also have phaser beams and yet ...

Simply you are extrapolating based on the circular strip design of the Galaxy, Nebula and Ambassador classes, the Soverign have it disconnected due to hangar, impulse thrusters and superstructure.

If battlecruisers did fine, if the Excelsior did fine then the whole argument about the "superior" Galaxy design galls apart ... after all, I can point out other designs like the Steamrunner that is much, much smaller, the Akira is also nearly just half of the saucer section as well the Saber class.

Simply you are saying EVERY design outside the Ambassador/Galaxy is wrong and they made by idiots that didnt know what they were doing, this is especially for Klingon Battlecruisers that certainly have disruptor strips as they fire disruptor beams, I could also point out the D'Kora Marauder class also lacks those mile longs strips yet its stated its equal if not superior to the Galaxy Class.

first of all, there are only phaser arrays, arrays dont come in other flavors, thats an sto thing. the small array like banks on the vorcha and negvar are a result of the klingon federation alliance, and technology sharing. those beams are not the main weapons ether, more of a secondary point defense, so they are small, like the small arrays on the aft areas of federation ships. on all the kdf ships large disrupter cannons are the primary weapons

the excelsior didn't do fine, its was horribly obsolete by the dominion war, lacking arrays at all. again thats a STO thing, that ship being any good. the akira actually has a rather large main array. it, the intrepid and the sovereign have array length proportionate to their size and volume.

the galaxy class is more then twice the volume of the sovereign. its no suprise it has room for such long arrays and the ampul power for them, wile the sovereign has what it has. the ambassador, being the first ship we know about with arrays, was quite under gunned for its size when the galaxy was launched. proboly why they seemed to phase it out, or never build a CGI model for it. d'kora on par with a galaxy? HA. thats not even close to implied
  • Options
    matchstick606matchstick606 Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I understand this is a battlecruiser and very tac but with a shield mod of 1.0 and only 1 sci console it seems (to me anyways) a bit low on shield for me to pick one up. lol I hate to bring it up but I think of how this could have been the FEDS ver of the Scimitar.

IMO I would have been happy with a 3tac 4eng 2sci console setup but thats just me.