test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Overly aggressive Vesta build

archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Federation Discussion
This is probably a stupid build but I want to try my luck.
Give me your opinion on this.

Fore:
Aux Phaser Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XII [Acc]x2 [Dmg]
Aux Phaser Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XII [Acc]x2 [Dmg]
Phaser Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XI (common)

Rear:
Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo
Rapid Reload Transphasic Torpedo Launcher Mk XI
Transphasic Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [CrtD] [CrtH] [Borg]

Tac Con:
Warhead Yield Chamber Mk XI (rare)
Prefire Chamber Mk X (common)
Prefire Chamber Mk XI (uncommon)
Transphasic Compressor Mk XII (very rare)

Sci Con:
Shield Emitter Amplifier Mk X (uncommon)
Sympathetic Fermion Transceiver (vesta)
Multidimensional Wave-Function Analysis Module (vesta)
Quantum Field Focus Controller (vesta)

Eng Con:
Booster Modulator Mk XI (rare)
RCS Accelerator Mk XI (common)

System:
Entire Breen Space set at Mk XI

Device:
Red Matter Capacitor

Hanger:
Federation fighter
Post edited by archofwinter on

Comments

• Options
    atlasmk7atlasmk7 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why in the world are you using two aux cannons and a standard one? If you are going to use aux cannons, make them all the same. For an overly aggressive Vesta, it doesnt have much bite with only 3 cannons on target then flipping around to hit with transphasics which I think besides chroniton are the worst torps in the game. Are you going to run all power to aux? Then that regular cannon will not do much damage. Instead of prefire chambers, use phaser relays, much better bonus that way. The breen set is no good for something sciencey like the Vesta. Borg set all the way or at least borg deflector and engine with a maco shield.

Another note is that the Quantum Phaser will hit like a wet noodle because you aren't using phaser relays. Nobody should ever equip the generic consoles that buff damage for a specific type of weapon (like cannons). Pick a damage type and use consoles for that type only.

My build is a standard 3x dual heavy phaser cannon (not aux) with x2 phaser turrets and cutting beam in the back. I don't think the Vesta has a great tactical console layout to support torps or mines. I use aux batteries or sometimes a EPtA when I want to use sci abilities.
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is probably a stupid build
    it is
    your build is bad, and you should feel bad

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would disagree with the first post's suggested build. That's a terrible way to set up the Vesta.

My suggested build, if you want to go aggressive (I've had the Vesta since it launched):

--Weapons--
    [Aux Phaser Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XII [Acc]x2 [Dmg]]

[Fleet Advanced Phaser Turret Mk XII [Dmg]x3 [Acc]]
    (Some say to put a Kinetic Cutting beam in one of the rear slots, I have yet to try that.)

--Equipment--
    AEGIS Set

--Consoles--

Try to upgrade consoles to at LEAST this mark and rarity.

Eng Consoles

[RCS Accelerator Mk XI]
    Either [Plasma Distribution Manifold Mk XI] or [Booster Modulator Mk XI]

Sci Consoles

[Universal Console - Quantum Field Focus Controller]
    [Shield Emitter Amplifier Mk XI]
    [Console - Science - Emitter Array Mk X [HuH] [-Th]]
    [Your Choice]

Tac Consoles

[Phaser Relay Mk XI]
    [Phaser Relay Mk XI]
    [Phaser Relay Mk XI]
    [Prefire Chamber Mk XI], OR something that boosts your Kinetic Cutting Beam.

--Devices--
    Auxiliary Battery
    Rechargeable Shields Battery or Weapons Battery
    Scorpion Fighters (from The Vault), or one of the above

--Hangar--
    Any fighter that isn't a healer and isn't blue quality.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    hyprodimushyprodimus Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would disagree with the first post's suggested build. That's a terrible way to set up the Vesta.

My suggested build, if you want to go aggressive (I've had the Vesta since it launched):

And I would disagree with your post.

Instead of turrets, go with 1 beam array for the free subsystem targetting, then two mines. I like to use two Breen Cluster transphasic torpedoes...which turn into mines! =p
    Some people like tricobalts, those work great too. Turrets and the cutting beam use weapons power. The vesta can deal tremendous amounts of damage without weapons power. Just pump everything into Aux, then shields and engines.

Aegis is terrible. Maco/elite fleet shields, borg def and eng is the standard for maximum survivability.

RCS consoles are good, as are armor consoles. I like Neutronioum. But Your other two choices boost power settings so insignificantly, its a complete waste. You will get +5 power from any borg piece, and +10 to all systems with the maco shields.

4x phaser relays for maximum damage.

The shield repair drones are actually really good. Of course, if you dont want to heal, the choice of fighters is yours.

This is what I use.
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Artemis46_0

I primarily pvp, but for pve, swap out rapid fire for scatter volley. Gravity Well III would also be a good choice.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    hyprodimus wrote: »
    And I would disagree with your post.

Instead of turrets, go with 1 beam array for the free subsystem targetting, then two mines. I like to use two Breen Cluster transphasic torpedoes...which turn into mines! =p
    Some people like tricobalts, those work great too. Turrets and the cutting beam use weapons power. The vesta can deal tremendous amounts of damage without weapons power. Just pump everything into Aux, then shields and engines.

Aegis is terrible. Maco/elite fleet shields, borg def and eng is the standard for maximum survivability.

RCS consoles are good, as are armor consoles. I like Neutronioum. But Your other two choices boost power settings so insignificantly, its a complete waste. You will get +5 power from any borg piece, and +10 to all systems with the maco shields.

4x phaser relays for maximum damage.

The shield repair drones are actually really good. Of course, if you dont want to heal, the choice of fighters is yours.

This is what I use.
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Artemis46_0

I primarily pvp, but for pve, swap out rapid fire for scatter volley. Gravity Well III would also be a good choice.

Remember, the first poster is going for a maximum damage configuration. I wouldn't use this build personally, since I'm more of a balanced mix of tanking and damage. But this isn't about me, this is about Archofwinter.

Since Damage is so important, even trivial amounts of power to the weapons or auxiliary systems is important. Archofwinter needs maximum damage, not armor.

A Borg console in place of a Booster Modulator or Plasma distribution console could work instead, they would give you added benefits. Good catch.

In regards to weapon choices, I'd have to disagree. Remember, this guy is going for damage. Ordinarily I would follow your choice, but he's looking for something else. Turrets along with the Aux Cannons in the fore is important. I suppose one rear slot could be dedicated to mines, but that would require flying outside of the fore gun firing arc, defeating the purpose of using the Aux Cannon anyway.

Power should be diverted like so: 50/25/25/100, or 35/30/35/100 if you want better engine power and some power to shields. It's important to invest some power to the weapons, to boost the damage from the rear turrets.

And since S7, the benefits of running the Borg Deflector and Engines along with the Console have disappeared. There's no advantage of running that anymore. The Deflector can stay, but I suggest alternative engines to increase maneuvering speed to keep the front guns pointed at the enemy.

The reason I mentioned the AEGIS is because of the Thoron distortion field effect in addition to the already above average stats of the pieces in the set. MACO could alternatively work well here, but I found it a little distasteful.
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Remember, the first poster is going for a maximum damage configuration. I wouldn't use this build personally, since I'm more of a balanced mix of tanking and damage. But this isn't about me, this is about Archofwinter.

Since Damage is so important, even trivial amounts of power to the weapons or auxiliary systems is important. Archofwinter needs maximum damage, not armor.

A Borg console in place of a Booster Modulator or Plasma distribution console could work instead, they would give you added benefits. Good catch.

In regards to weapon choices, I'd have to disagree. Remember, this guy is going for damage. Ordinarily I would follow your choice, but he's looking for something else. Turrets along with the Aux Cannons in the fore is important. I suppose one rear slot could be dedicated to mines, but that would require flying outside of the fore gun firing arc, defeating the purpose of using the Aux Cannon anyway.

Power should be diverted like so: 50/25/25/100, or 35/30/35/100 if you want better engine power and some power to shields. It's important to invest some power to the weapons, to boost the damage from the rear turrets.

And since S7, the benefits of running the Borg Deflector and Engines along with the Console have disappeared. There's no advantage of running that anymore. The Deflector can stay, but I suggest alternative engines to increase maneuvering speed to keep the front guns pointed at the enemy.

The reason I mentioned the AEGIS is because of the Thoron distortion field effect in addition to the already above average stats of the pieces in the set. MACO could alternatively work well here, but I found it a little distasteful.

if you want to deal actual damage, you just lose them aux cannons, and chose a weapon type that actually gives you a dmg bonus

here is my dps build, with more than enough tanking for estfs

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited February 2013

don't go near STFs and we're fine, capiche?
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    if you want to deal actual damage, you just lose them aux cannons, and chose a weapon type that actually gives you a dmg bonus

here is my dps build, with more than enough tanking for estfs

That's a PVE build.
  • Options
    redcardinaliredcardinali Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    atlasmk7 wrote: »
    Another note is that the Quantum Phaser will hit like a wet noodle because you aren't using phaser relays.

Frankly nonsense dear sir. The Quantum Field Focus Phaser uses auxiliary power and if you have that maxed when you fire it you'll do plenty of damage. - I don't have any phasers/phaser consoles on my vesta and the Quantum phaser does about 3.7k damage per second (for 12 seconds). That's hardly "like a wet noodle"
  • Options
    nx15nx15 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh dear...

First: TAC consoles are NOT subject to diminishing returns!!!
    Which means use all phaser consoles!!!

One of the best things about the Besta (See what I did there? :p) are its Aux DHC's...
    Use those to your advantage, with 130 Aux power, buffing your sci powers like crazy