test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where ara all the cleaners on the Enterprise?

rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Ten Forward
I watched the episode where the Capt. Picard refuses to talk to the Sheliak by wiping his finger over the dedication plate on the bridge looking for dust. Then it struck me.

Where are all the cleaners.

Where are all the cleaners hoovering the floors, mopping floors, dusting and polishing all the surfaces? A ship the size of the Enterprise D would need teams to clean the place.

I can just imagine some Ferengi slave mule polishing the curved tac station and firing all the weapons by accident. :D
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
Post edited by rustiswordz on

Comments

• lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Probably all done by nano bots.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On the -D?

Probably done by civilian support teams.

The question is, on ships like the 1701 and the -A, Voyager and Defiant... who does the cleaning there?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,176 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Another question. Apart from the cleaning. Where are the bathrooms. The toilets were mentioned once by Neelix on Voyager. But no one ever mentioned needing them or having to go to them. You never see one in crew quarters, only sonic showers.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2013
    I believe they are recessed, like the sinks are. Likely they reveal for passenger use, then retreat into the wall for cleaning, decontamination, and recycling.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Starfleet operates like the US Navy in very many ways. I suspect cleaning is done by low-ranking enlisted, possibly with a rating equivalent to "custodian".

That, or the ship cleans itself.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Remember the Episode with the Brienloidi? or however you spell it. The Irish settlers and the thier sister colony made up of Clones? When one of the women started to clean the cargo bay Riker told her "The Ship cleans itself". Her reply was "Good for the bloddy ship"
    then he went and banged her. Well when he said that I thought it must be some type of transporter tech. A type of beam just sweeps the ship and recycles the dust and trash and what not.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All Galaxy class vessels are also required to have Beige wallpaper, and furniture, tablewear, and bedding, provided by Pier one imports .Which is better than the Junk IKEA stuff on Enterprise F.:P
  • bozzy88bozzy88 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They just beam all the dust into space... thats where space dust comes from. hence why races without transporters have dirty ships, like the kazon ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We've just received word from the fleet, they've engaged the Borg!
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    24th-century Roombas.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh, great, another bunch of little robots to suddenly develop sentience and argue about things... first those nanites, then the Exocomps, now the Roombas...

(Just kidding, I actually like the Exocomps.)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    Another question. Apart from the cleaning. Where are the bathrooms. The toilets were mentioned once by Neelix on Voyager. But no one ever mentioned needing them or having to go to them. You never see one in crew quarters, only sonic showers.

I recall from somewhere that there was an unmarked door in the back of the Ent-D bridge that was supposed to be the head. Also, I'm pretty sure there are toilets or "waste extractors" located in the crew quarters, we just never see them, because you know, yuck. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Riker 'Captain to the bridge!'
    Picard 'Not now Number One, im doing a number two!' :D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013

You answered your own question :D:D
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Obviously, people in the 24th Century have evolved beyond the need for toilets. It is not something they like talking about. Every Starfleet ship has one toilet in case they pick up temporal hitchhikers from the past. It is one of the mandatory directives in the Temporal Prime Directive.
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On the -D?

Probably done by civilian support teams.

The question is, on ships like the 1701 and the -A, Voyager and Defiant... who does the cleaning there?

The bulk of the cleaning is probably done when the ship is in drydock for resupply and refit/retrofits. Most likely, when away from and such facility, the cleaning is done by each individual crewmember aboard the ship similar to daily maintenance.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's 1,000 people on a Galaxy-class starship, I'm assuming that there's more than a few low-ranking NCO's who clean/paint/maintain the ship just like in a regular navy. Likewise with damage control teams and repair teams, there are likely teams from operations that Data routinely sent to do ship cleaning/painting. He never slept, after all. And Star Trek was only a 1 hour episode focusing on a specific event. There was a daily routine for everything that we didn't see or was only lightly hinted at from time to time.

EDIT: Oh, and the Mk I Emergency Medical Hologram was largely distributed to ships to clean plasma conduits due to their poor bedside manners. The EMH on the Enterprise-E and Voyager were obviously exempt from this.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • saxon90saxon90 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You know all the crew members you see with "tricorders" on you bridges and in the halls of starbases? 24th century janitors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also I've read somewhere that they have vacuum cleaners embedded in the walls. Which is totally a real thing. I have one in my house. :)
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    During the episode Up The Long Ladder, the Ent-D picks up a horde of farmers and goats and cattle because their colony was about to be destroyed by environmental breakdown.

Someone started a fire, which immediately triggered the Fire Suppression System, leaving a smoking pile. One of the ladies beamed aboard started tidying up that charred spot as Commander Riker and Worf came to investigate. Riker told her she didn't need to do that.

This happened again when Riker drops by for a second visit, and the girl started tidying up some hay. This time, Riker specifically says, "The ship cleans herself."

Later on, Picard does that elaborate routine of wiping the dust off the dedication plaque when he kept the Daleks waiting on the line. I believe it was more of a theatrical gesture rather than a necessary action, given the state of affairs the Enterprise was in and that the Galaxy class forcefields are more than capable of cleaning up.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I recall from somewhere that there was an unmarked door in the back of the Ent-D bridge that was supposed to be the head. Also, I'm pretty sure there are toilets or "waste extractors" located in the crew quarters, we just never see them, because you know, yuck. :D

I traded a couple of Facebook messages with Huston Huddleston of the Ent-D bridge restoration project and Trek VFX veteran Doug Drexler, who have access to the original blueprints for the bridge set - they confirmed that one of the unmarked doors on the bridge is indeed the restroom.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.