test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ever wonder when leaving Bridge View...

sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
Where your character is beaming out to exactly? I mean, in the middle of deep space shouldn't my captain still be on the bridge after leaving bridge view? Where is she beaming to in the middle of sector space?
Post edited by sonnikku on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's just a mechanic to represent going somewhere. They could easily just remove it, but why bother? Most people don't pay that much attention to it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's just a mechanic to represent going somewhere. They could easily just remove it, but why bother? Most people don't pay that much attention to it.

I think you may be whimsy-deficient.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Beaming to your captains room has my vote. Beaming to the bridge when your in your ready room
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    tejmashkttejmashkt Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just think my character is putting in an emergency request for a teleport to the john. Since I can't find the thing anywhere on my ship, the head MUST be in a secure area that is kept away from the rest of the ship. For some reason. Maybe because no one will clean it. Not even my captains quarters has a toilet. Sometimes it has gotten so bad.. I used the potted plants in ten forward.

Captain... that is not a potted plant... that is the Ambassador from Vegan VI.....
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I think you may be whimsy-deficient.
    I fully admit to having no interest in whimsy. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think one of those non-opening doors in Bridge view are supposed to be the head... Maybe they don't open because someone's already in there? That would explain why we can't get all of our BOffs to display on a bridge...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    Beaming to your captains room has my vote. Beaming to the bridge when your in your ready room

"But like, I'm here..... and my ready room is like, all the way over there.... one to beam over!"

It's amazing we aren't all fat seeing how lazy people must be in the 25th century. :P
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Where your character is beaming out to exactly? I mean, in the middle of deep space shouldn't my captain still be on the bridge after leaving bridge view? Where is she beaming to in the middle of sector space?
    Same reason your ship disappears when you enter your bridge.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "But like, I'm here..... and my ready room is like, all the way over there.... one to beam over!"

It's amazing we aren't all fat seeing how lazy people must be in the 25th century. :P
    Bridges are ginormous to make sure you get a full workout just walking from one side to the other.
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What annoys me more is I can't be sit in the Captain's Chair and go back into tactical view - I have to stand up out of the chair before the option becomes available. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Ever seen jumper? Because you have the power of teleportation, means you should abuse the **** out of it. Doubly so because your a captain
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited October 2013

In my opinion the film Wall-E has a better representation of the future for humans.... a lot of people are already getting that bad :P

The beam out from the bridge has always been kinda stupid but people are willing to accept stupid things as long as they are not game breaking.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    tejmashkttejmashkt Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think one of those non-opening doors in Bridge view are supposed to be the head... Maybe they don't open because someone's already in there? That would explain why we can't get all of our BOffs to display on a bridge...

Is that why I have to keep putting the boffs back on the list for science and security? Because they are ducking out to use the head? If it is taking you THAT long to go to the loo... you need to go to sickbay. I would not recommend going to sickbay on my romulan ship though... the doctors are terrible. Fail medical missions all the time. I have a crew of people with minor burns... bone fractures and stomach pains. And apparently Law can't do a mission without failing. The last 6 missions he went on I lost people in.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is actually one of those lazy things that continues to annoy me.

Sure, it's a minor detail, but little things like this should get attention too. Enough of the attitude "Eehh, it's good enough. It'll do."

Really, it should be set up that when you go to your bridge from space, you enter IN the turbolift, and you should return to the space view directly, with no beamout. More, when you go to your bridge from the ground, you should beam out of the ground location and appear in your TRANSPORTER ROOM. Returning to the ground map really should only happen from the transporter room, but it is acceptable to beam out from anywhere (site to site transport).

Again, it's just lazy to leave it as it is, but then, the whole implementation of ship interiors has been lazy, even incompetent. I mean, beyond the scaling issues, there are issues with holes in the geometry and textures, problems with bringing other people to the maps (guests of the TOS Constitution bridge STILL occasionally go for a spacewalk), nonsensical interior spaces that don't look like they're the inside of a ship, crew wearing uniforms that don't match yours (or in some cases that don't match the other crew!), and so on.

The whole system of interiors needs a revamp. I'd like to see ALL the bridges rebuilt from the ground up so they're the correct scale. I'd like to see the decks laid out in a manner that reflects the interior of a SHIP. I'd like to see all the doors lead somewhere. I'd like to see the crew in the uniform I choose for them. I'd even like to see my DOs as those wandering crew (so my Andorian whose whole crew is supposed to be Andorian won't have other races walking around his ship). I'm sure I can think of more, but really, there's no point. They'll never do anything to this. It's always been an afterthought.

I feel the same way about the character skins all ending at the neck. It looks terrible, especially in the promo stuff, but it's really only like that due to laziness and should have really been fixed a long time ago.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013

They are beaming to an arbitrary point on a non-euclidean plane.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My character beams to the holodeck and reenacts his favorite program
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bridges are ginormous to make sure you get a full workout just walking from one side to the other.

Seriously? The amount of wasted space on some of the 'standard' bridges is almost ridiculous; you could sit a shuttle in there and not disturb any of the stations.

Personally, I'm saving up for the DS9 bundle with the Belfast bridge, more reasonable size and I like the look of it...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well sure there is the problem of leaving the bridge, and where is it exactly that you are beaming to?

But not only that if you are a Romulan captain and you have a mix of Romulans and Federation boffs another transporter is installed so the federation crew does not have to use that unreliable Romulan transporter.

Even when you are all on the same away mission when you signal for beamup at that end of the mission two transporter rooms are activated one for your Romulan crewmates and another for your federation crewmates.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't you know...

We are all secretly bio-engineered to be Transformers.

We transform from a human into a starship and back, on a regular basis.
    (I've heard that a BORG named Kurtz'Orciman had something to do with it)

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seriously? The amount of wasted space on some of the 'standard' bridges is almost ridiculous; you could sit a shuttle in there and not disturb any of the stations.

Personally, I'm saving up for the DS9 bundle with the Belfast bridge, more reasonable size and I like the look of it...

The Dev's flung some poo at us way back when, saying that the bridges "Had to be very big" (very paraphrased) because of the necessity of large groups of NPCs + Your Own Crew when doing ship-based missions.
    ("Pathing the NPC's", was also thrown out there at one point)

Later, They released the TOS & Belfast Bridges and pretty much fell silent about redoing the older bridges when asked.
    Mostly we assumed that it would not be "Profitable" to do so, but we have not been given an Official reason, as far as I know.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif