test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

is this legal?

billycopbillycop Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Ten Forward
alright, so i was going through my Facebook history (just one of those general scans to kill any spam) and i came across a semi-old article stating that games like STO will become illegal in the USA next year. you can read it here:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/mmorpgs-now-classified-as-schedule-i-drug-by-us-government-due-to-addictive-properties/

so can the US government really do this?i hope not...... :mad:
Post edited by billycop on

Comments

• Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let's look at the P4rgaming website front page headlines shall we?

"Notch confirms Minecraft is meant to teach children how to use a gun"

Yeah. Legit website...
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lol

Look at some of the other articles on that site. It's clearly a spoof site like The Onion. It's kind of funny how many people fall for stuff like this heh.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It reads like a poorly-written joke.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skhc wrote: »
    Let's look at the P4rgaming website front page headlines shall we?

"Notch confirms Minecraft is meant to teach children how to use a gun"

Yeah. Legit website...

I thought DOOM was the one blamed for teaching children how to use weapons??
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Besides, the government wouldn't ban something unless they couldn't figure out a way to get a cut of it.
  • Options
    billycopbillycop Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eh, i guess i fell for it then. but i thought i would bring it here just to see what you all would think.....
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    billycop wrote: »
    eh, i guess i fell for it then. but i thought i would bring it here just to see what you all would think.....

I think Poe's Law makes websites like that legal.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited October 2013
    daveyny wrote: »

I thought the DOOOOMMMMEEDDD thread implied the use of guns, but they really meant to say "puns".
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013

There was a bizarre story recently where a kid got caught with a gun (unloaded and with the firing pin removed), tools, and knives in school. His father explained that he and his friends were using the guns to recreate scenes from Minecraft. The result was that in a week containing both a major shooting and a main series Grand Theft Auto release, all the major news networks spent a day talking about how Minecraft was driving kids to commit make believe violence.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2013

In my day, Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam were teaching children how to use weapons.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Great. So what happens if the old Doom game is discovered, then reprogrammed so that it could run in a Holodeck?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

It was Duke Nuke'em for me. Shooting fat little pigs with scantilly clad pole dancers when I was a child... ah those were the days.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The tinfoil hat is strong with this thread.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I thought that one was chainsawing children and puppies? :confused:
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You guys are making me feel really old - I was taught how to use weapons by shooting at ducks flying out of tall grass... every time I missed them, that dog started snickering at me...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You guys are making me feel really old - I was taught how to use weapons by shooting at ducks flying out of tall grass... every time I missed them, that dog started snickering at me...

We were supposed to shoot the ducks? I was waiting for the dog to pop out of the grass... :eek:
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

What are you talking about? The person who taught me how to use a gun was a guy with a machine gun running across a screen. I was bad at the game, so I had to use a code to get myself more lives. :P
    hevach wrote: »
    There was a bizarre story recently where a kid got caught with a gun (unloaded and with the firing pin removed), tools, and knives in school. His father explained that he and his friends were using the guns to recreate scenes from Minecraft. The result was that in a week containing both a major shooting and a main series Grand Theft Auto release, all the major news networks spent a day talking about how Minecraft was driving kids to commit make believe violence.

Wow, media will latch onto ANYTHING, won't they? I think they are getting desperate.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    billycop wrote: »
    so can the US government really do this?i hope not...... :mad:

Right now, the US government cant even come to work, and its a totally bogus story anyway.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Right now, the US government cant even come to work, and its a totally bogus story anyway.

Totally man. I feel for you lay people over there.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In my day, Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam were teaching children how to use weapons.

In my day it was the A-Team.:cool:
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm if i took something that conducted electricity and put it to this thread would it arc off of all the people wearing tin foil hats here? :confused:

and if so would it cause some massive electrical discharge due to the sheer amount of people wearing tin foil hats? :eek:
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's literally one person in the thread who didn't recognize it as a fake story, and that's the OP. And even they were skeptical enough to ask first. No tinfoil here.