test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #45

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited October 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Lead Content Designer Charles Gray shares details about the eighth and final Dilithium Mine Featured Project in this entry of the Legacy of Romulus News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    Here are some before and after images that I took for this specific project*:

Image 1 - Before

Image 1 - After

Image 2 - Before
    Image 2 - After

*Note: Visuals from some of the past unlocks may be present in these screens, but they would be present in both the 'before' and 'after' photos.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Pretty Pink Lights

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Does this mean that either:
    A-The FE is next week?
    OR
    B-The next Dev-Blog is a Season 8 Blog?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A-The FE is next week?
    OR

Nope...

It means Preetty Pink Lights for 200k Dilithium.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    A-The FE is next week?
    OR

The next Dev Blog will be a Season 8 blog, but we still have some Legacy of Romulus Dev Blogs to go! Stay tuned :cool:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • garrethuntergarrethunter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A-The FE is next week?
    OR
    Or this could be the prelude to the Special Project Re-Run that happens before the FE.
    Strength lies not in defence but in attack.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would imagine that the next Legacy of Romulus dev blogs would be about the next Featured Episode.

Those flying rocks on the right hand side of the Entrance has been annoying me for a while. It can be seen in the Image 1 - Before picture and thought it might have been just me. Will be glad when this graphical bug is finally removed. My fleet will be glad when we won't have another featured project until Season 8.
  • dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is just me being really nit-picky...in the before shot for the first one you can see a little bit of that pink light of death and some expensive crystals of awesomeness just floating off the side of the wall....
    Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sorry but this ruins the look of the outside tbh and looks over the top :( , but that's just my opinion which other's may like it but I do not as it does not look very trek to me :o
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • rhakatheredrhakathered Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I must admit to be quite disappointed - I had assumed the last vanity project would be a miner's bar, fully staffed with a Horta bartender.

Alas, one can dream.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm... I think I'll recommend my fleet to look at a live one first before we slot that ourselves..... looks a bit over the top and cramped...
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    is this all you guys do is just make dilitheum projects for fleets then fix the game.. just asking.. not trying to be smart.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Hmm... looks a bit over the top and cramped...
    Yeah, looking at the before/after images I have to agree, the "upgrade" looks too cluttered. Not my tastes at all.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lead Content Designer,that joke never gets old. ;)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    is this all you guys do is just make dilitheum projects for fleets then fix the game.. just asking.. not trying to be smart.

From what I understand, the devs make all the Featured Projects at once before the Fleet Holding is introduced, then lock them until the appropriate time. So after a Fleet Holding is added to the game, then the devs don't work on anything related to it except for various bugs related to the Fleet Holding. So the devs didn't work on this project last week, but months ago.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    is this just another 200K dilithium boondoggle or does it do anything?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It'd be great if this could make the t3 unlocked ultra rich mining nodes not completely suck, but.. no, they'll continue to be useless.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • jplatimerjplatimer Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am still hopeful that the devs will add a 200k project of undoing a previous project you completed but don't like.

Tired of kicking around tribbles and running to the bar to get them removed temporarily.
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Content: substantive information or creative material viewed in contrast to its actual or potential manner of presentation: publishers, record companies, and other content providers; a flashy Web site, but without much content.

This is not content. Now I know you might say that all this is made prior and you just add them bit by bit, but having them still cost excessive dilithium is not what I consider fair for a vanity item.

Of course people will say that it's optional, and true it is optional. But that doesn't mean it should cost what I consider a large amount of end game currency, which is already capped so hard in the first place.

I really hope that the next season brings some fighting power to the likes of Star Citizen which will be on it's way. You can say that it's in a totally different league and is only there to compete with Eve. But I've always felt that Star Trek Online's original aim was to provide a real space experience with a great element of Trek involved. Trek to me has always been about exploration, meeting civilisations, diplomacy, the unknown and the final frontier. Star Trek Online continues to do poorly at what Star Trek is, but it's Star Trek and there isn't anything else out there that really offers what I think Star Trek is about, without getting overly complicated like Eve.

But alas.... Star Citizen is on the horizon and I really hope that the Cryptic developers put their heads together and truly deliver an amazing Trek experience with the next season. Great progress has been made since STO's release and now is the time to take great leaps and bounds, as I know what SC is looking to offer is exactly what my Fleet and friends are looking for.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    sorry but this ruins the look of the outside tbh and looks over the top :( , but that's just my opinion which other's may like it but I do not as it does not look very trek to me :o

Agreed, I think the landscape of the exterior may look far better without this. :(
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Agreed, I think the landscape of the exterior may look far better without this. :(

WOW somebody agree's with me :eek: , now that is very rare on these forum's :D
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptic your graphic artists forgot the warning label:
    CAUTION: Contact with Dilithium transfer tubes is hazardous to your health.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We got the project live now. Some people of us like it, others less. Personally I think it's too bulky and crowed. I preferred the open spaces from before.

Overall the mine is a gorgeous holding though. Love it!
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    nierion wrote: »
    Content: substantive information or creative material viewed in contrast to its actual or potential manner of presentation: publishers, record companies, and other content providers; a flashy Web site, but without much content.

This is not content. Now I know you might say that all this is made prior and you just add them bit by bit, but having them still cost excessive dilithium is not what I consider fair for a vanity item.

Of course people will say that it's optional, and true it is optional. But that doesn't mean it should cost what I consider a large amount of end game currency, which is already capped so hard in the first place.

I really hope that the next season brings some fighting power to the likes of Star Citizen which will be on it's way. You can say that it's in a totally different league and is only there to compete with Eve. But I've always felt that Star Trek Online's original aim was to provide a real space experience with a great element of Trek involved. Trek to me has always been about exploration, meeting civilisations, diplomacy, the unknown and the final frontier. Star Trek Online continues to do poorly at what Star Trek is, but it's Star Trek and there isn't anything else out there that really offers what I think Star Trek is about, without getting overly complicated like Eve.

But alas.... Star Citizen is on the horizon and I really hope that the Cryptic developers put their heads together and truly deliver an amazing Trek experience with the next season. Great progress has been made since STO's release and now is the time to take great leaps and bounds, as I know what SC is looking to offer is exactly what my Fleet and friends are looking for.
    Oh lookie, you like Star Citizen more than STO eh? Well then you can stay. Or you can flock over to Star Citizen. No one's holding you back!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tinead51 wrote: »
    Lead Content Designer,that joke never gets old. ;)

Lol, that is sig worthy ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Urgh, those things make damage. It auto-aborted two of my mining attemps because the glowing pipes made damage over time. Makes navigating the asteroid unnecessary more difficult.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh lookie, you like Star Citizen more than STO eh? Well then you can stay. Or you can flock over to Star Citizen. No one's holding you back!

I like the fact that Star Citizen is more likely going to offer what STO promised us years ago but we never got. I'm just providing constructive criticism, giving my feedback as a customer because I actually care about STO and want it to reach it's full potential.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876