test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leveling up new characters quickly

the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Academy
I recently started a tac character, an I was wondering if there was a faster way than doing the storyline quests. I only ask because I've already done the fed quests.
Post edited by the7thof9 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can do Patrol Mission. If you have an XP boost you can level fairly quickly using that and doing Patrols.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can also do the Mirror Incursion when it becomes the active event. It usually appears every 6-9 hours, and you can usually get 3-4 levels out of the hour-long event as well as about 4000 dilithium with a good group.
  • tribblewafflestribblewaffles Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Agree about Mirror Incursion especially. This is a very good way to zoom up that level ladder.

I believe I levelled my KDF solely by doing non-story missions/events w some help from XP boosts. *thumbs up*

:D
    Not the hell your whales.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Agree about Mirror Incursion especially. This is a very good way to zoom up that level ladder.

I believe I levelled my KDF solely by doing non-story missions/events w some help from XP boosts. *thumbs up*

:D

I've heard many people say this, but it never seems to work for me. I have never had any character level from doing a mirror incursion event, but I almost always get a level from each mission.

@ the OP:
    Don't forget duty officer missions. Those give rather a lot of experience if you keep all 20 missions going.

And there is a type of duty officer called a "Consultant" found in the Operations sub category. Some give Experience bonuses (1% white, 2% green, 3% blue, 4% purple) if you have them on active duty.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Patrol missions and mirror event is the best advice. I'm doing it right now for a drain build sci toon.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you have as well the consultant doffs that can incrase your cxp and expertise.
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the Mirror Universe incursion event is THE best way to level PROVIDED:

you are already over level 20 (any lower and you might as well not bother with it)

you have a good group to run it with

an example of a good group is one that can get the whole thing done in less than 10 min (below level 50, at 50, 5 min or less is quite common).

the best way to make sure you have a good group is to hang back for a moment and see what the others do. if they charge in and aggro all 4 battle groups at once, hightale it out while you still can.

a good group will systematically eliminate each battle group, one at a time. REALLY good groups will also disable the satellites to make the end fight easier.

with good groups, the event can be run 4-5 times easily on a sub-50 toon, which can net you as much as 3-4 levels IME
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    One thing to be aware of in the Mirror event is this, if you join an event in which a higher level Tier toon is in there (helping a lower level friend, which it does not do in Mirror btw) immediately leave. The presence of a higher tier character will drastically reduce the experience earned from each kill.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the7thof9 wrote: »
    I recently started a tac character, an I was wondering if there was a faster way than doing the storyline quests. I only ask because I've already done the fed quests.
    Patrol missions can help you with leveling. Grab a few skill boosts from the exchange, and use them to work on sector patrols.
  • whoami2whoami2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yea I agree with that
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sheesh, levelling is far too quick as it is, you don't really need a boost to it. Casually, you can go from 1-50 in like 3 days. Hardcore can do it in less than a day.
    Personally, I wish they'd leave the xp rewards the same, but make it take at least 10x (maybe even 20x or more), the xp it takes to gain a level. That would make it, in my opinion, feel far more rewarding to have gained a level, much less a title rank. But that's just my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The first 5-10 storyline missions to get your doff system unlocked + mirror access

Then set up your doffs with a bunch of 2 and 4 hour missions (best XP efficiency IMO), do mirror, dailies, patrols, and maybe an occasional story mission to break the tedium. Some are really short honestly. As your doff missions complete/cycle that adds another bunch of XP to your pool.

Rinse and repeat.

Using this method leveling a toon should take about 24 game hours, maybe more, maybe less.

Thats how I leveled up my fed rommie, took me just under a week of playing it maybe 3-4 hours at a time.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Newbie here trying to figure out things here because LOL, I'm new.

So, from what I'm reading, I technically don't need to actually do the missions - yes, they're faster, but they're tedious. All I have to do is sector patrols with XP Boosts with a few other things in between?
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited September 2013
    Hiyas folks!
    Been playing for a few days now. And I must admit...my guildies in DDO are NOT happy.
    I'm diggin' this game so far. Got my Engineer up to Lt. 7, and I can hold my own against most enemies.
    But I am having a bit of trouble navigating this game.

For instance, I can't seem to be able to get back to certain areas very easily, like the one place where you crunch the mats at the sciencey type place. You know the one I'm talking about.
    The one WAAAY out in the middle of nowhere.

I got there once, following the tutorial, but I'll be darned if I can find it again.
    And I've got a lot of these mats I need to crunch.

But in the meantime, I'll just keep blastin things. It's a hoot!

*edit*

Also, is there a trick to matching the anomaly waves? Because I'm getting only about 60% of them.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1 Hour XP boost with Mirror, easy 5-7 lvls post lvl 20. To bad that you can't get those any more, I still have 7 in my bank :D
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Storyline to unlock DOffs.
    Then do DOff assignments right and you'd be surprised just how quick you can level up...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited September 2013
    Some super nice person gave me a shield battery or something last night. Right out of the blue.
    I could not figure out how to thank him/her.

The very LAST thing I want to do is to appear unappreciative when someone does something nice.
  • eatsmarteatsmart Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    (aside from the obvious mirror)

If you're levelling a new character, but already know the game well, do the defera hards. Also have a look through the foundry missions and find one that's quite pacey on dialogue and heavy on things to shoot at.

While levelling, if your concern is to get to cap in the shortest time possible, then always chose a dps ship/build regardless of what you intend to fly at cap. As you level characters, try and get into the habit of saving blue/purple weapons with even numbered mk levels. Weapons usually account bind, so once you've built a layout for each ship, you can use those on every new character you make.

You get free doffs as you level, assign some to active duty. It helps make things just that little bit faster, even if it's a bunch of whites/greens.
  • dekammedekamme Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi,

I am sorry to go slightly off topic here. As I'm greener then a plate of cabbage, I'm not allowed to post new threads.

This brings me to my question: can someone point me to an accurate and recent source of information for a newbie? I've been clicking through some forum posts, but haven't found a clear 'newbie guide' stickied.

I've found some websites with beginner guides, but as they aren't all dated I might be going through outdated information.

Threads like this one help me get some bits of info, but I'm looking for a more clear and generalized source of information.

Thank you.
  • zaykarzaykar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I started last week and can't make new posts either. I went here:

http://www.stoacademy.com/index.php

and got some good info. I asked newbie questions in their forums and got some quick responses.
  • the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can anyone tell me how I can find xp boosts on the exchange? I can't find any.
  • phate101phate101 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Never understand why many people just can't wait and must level as quickly as possible.. why not just enjoy the game as you level up without making it into a how fast can you grind..
  • the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you play a game 2 times do you want to be ignorant like you were the first time?