test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Queues: some newbie questions...

realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Academy
So I'm getting ready to try a public queue or tueue and have some questions:

- Do most public queues rely on mic/headsets? (I have a headset no mic)
- If I just send a message "locally" will it go to the others in the same action?
- If there are 5 people after 5 minutes will it start?
(I see many queues with very few people - is it only showing those in my level range?)
- Can I be doing anything else anywhere else when the action starts?

Anything else I need to know?
Post edited by realisticalty on

Comments

• the7thof9the7thof9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No ques rely on a headset
    If you're in a que mission, you can set the chat to team
    If there are enough people it will start as soon as possible
    You can be doing whatever, but you might need to start over.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Public queues, something else you need to know.

You will probably be joining pug's (public groups). For some of the easier missions, such as Fleet Alert, this is no problem.

However, once you start looking into, say, Special Task Force Missions (STF's), a pug can be annoying. Most people there won't know what they are doing. For you it will be the same the first few times.

Therefore my advice: make your first run of everything together with a fleet. They will know in advance that you are there for the first time and therefore they can help you, explain what is happening and so on. That way you won't be facing huge challenges on your own.
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thank you, that is valuable advice.
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Public queues, something else you need to know.

You will probably be joining pug's (public groups). For some of the easier missions, such as Fleet Alert, this is no problem.

However, once you start looking into, say, Special Task Force Missions (STF's), a pug can be annoying. Most people there won't know what they are doing. For you it will be the same the first few times.

Therefore my advice: make your first run of everything together with a fleet. They will know in advance that you are there for the first time and therefore they can help you, explain what is happening and so on. That way you won't be facing huge challenges on your own.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't know anyone who uses the games' built in voice chat.

For the most part, it's fleet operated Teamspeak and Ventrillo external clients. My fleet uses Ventrillo, and we all picked up Teamspeak to work with an ally fleet. My fleet also has a private in-game chat channel. Since my fleet isdual factioned, we can communiacte across faction lines, the chat also connects to the Tribble test server, and even to Neverwinter.

The primary problem with PUG teams after not knowing how to participate, is some of them don't want to participate. Do a forum site search for "AFK leechers", you'll see what I mean. Probibly one of the longest running discussion here is how to deal with them. It's ether that or "I want a tier 5 Connie!" (Players who want a top tier Constitution-class ship, the orginal Kirk Enterprise, but CBS corp, who controls the Star Trek Intellectural rights and has veto power over game elements, said no a long time ago). With "Cryptic hates Klingons" a close third.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)