test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"VOYAGER is not true" An interview with Ron D. Moore

twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Ten Forward
Hey cats, how goes the "pew pew"ing?

I delurked because I felt some of you might be interested in this old interview with DS9/ BSG guy, Ron D. Moore that recently came to my attention. In it he spends a lot of time going over what he felt was wrong with Voyager and he eerily predicts the flaws of Enterprise before Enterprise was even put together.

I find myself in agreement with his points though I like Voyager despite the ugly boot nature of it.

Warning: The site was obviously made around the year 2000 and not for modern wide screen monitors. I fixed by resizing my browser window to make it more readable.
<3
Post edited by twg042370 on

Comments

• Options
    slickrick1707eslickrick1707e Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That was pretty good. Long but good, he made a few good points though. Voyager left a lot on the table. When you compare it to other "lost in space" shows such as Farscape, BSG, or Star Gate Universe, Voyager is just unbelievable and flat. I watch it now and I think to myself what are these people complaining about? They have a pristine ship every week to live in, plenty of food, water, AIR, clothing, fuel, and none of that was EVER challenged! Yes there were a few action episodes that put the crew into precarious situations, Examples being whenever they brought out a big bad guy, Kazon in the early seasons, and the ridiculously watered down Borg. But aside from that it was week after week of oh listen to the Doctor wine, oh look at Jeri Ryan's **** and listen to her wine about being a Borg and how inefficient humans are. I think they really dropped the ball on this series, and certainly crapped in their mess kit with what they did with Ron Moore. If he would have been able to have creative reign on the show it would have looked a lot different, a bit more gritty a bit more dark, probably more like Farscape or SGU, and a small amount like BSG, that would have been way better stories then what we got.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Damn that's hard on the eyes. I certainly agree with the sentiment that the ball was dropped though.

I'm just wondering if there's a better copy of this interview somewhere on the Internet, because that color scheme really hurts my eyes.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That was pretty good. Long but good, he made a few good points though. Voyager left a lot on the table. When you compare it to other "lost in space" shows such as Farscape, BSG, or Star Gate Universe, Voyager is just unbelievable and flat. I watch it now and I think to myself what are these people complaining about? They have a pristine ship every week to live in, plenty of food, water, AIR, clothing, fuel, and none of that was EVER challenged! Yes there were a few action episodes that put the crew into precarious situations, Examples being whenever they brought out a big bad guy, Kazon in the early seasons, and the ridiculously watered down Borg. But aside from that it was week after week of oh listen to the Doctor wine, oh look at Jeri Ryan's **** and listen to her wine about being a Borg and how inefficient humans are. I think they really dropped the ball on this series, and certainly crapped in their mess kit with what they did with Ron Moore. If he would have been able to have creative reign on the show it would have looked a lot different, a bit more gritty a bit more dark, probably more like Farscape or SGU, and a small amount like BSG, that would have been way better stories then what we got.

I will agree with you on most parts, but you cant judge voyager to sgu nor the 2nd season and past of bsg. however with that said I do agree with comparing to farscape, voyager does indeed look a lot more flat.
    I also agree that they needed to make voyager more realistic, I too wanted to know what happened to the big bad borg of next gen. that eliminated a entire fed/Klingon fleet with only 1 ship.
    as for the doctor, while I liked the actor who played him; they could have fleshed his and 7's character out more.
    all in all though voyager wasn't terrible it was more or less fleshed out.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I could have done with VOY being more like the first season of BSG (and bits of the last half of the third). With no practical resupply, shortages should have been a matter of "replicated steaks are now trading for latinum in the mess hall," not "there's coffee in that nebula." And they certainly shouldn't have been throwing around quantum torpedoes or shuttlecraft with quite such TRIBBLE abandon.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Damn that's hard on the eyes. I certainly agree with the sentiment that the ball was dropped though.

I'm just wondering if there's a better copy of this interview somewhere on the Internet, because that color scheme really hurts my eyes.

I copied and pasted it into Word and formatted it to make it more readable. You might try something similar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    thepatriot1776thepatriot1776 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My favorite part is where he states that Berman and Braga absolutely hate TOS.
    "The STAR TREK past?it?s challenging; it sounds like it?s fun on one level, and I thought that was an interesting way to go for a long time. But it has a lot of pitfalls to it. You have a very complex future mapped out. If you are going to go into STAR TREK?s past, say, pre-Kirk, you better have an iron-clad commitment to maintaining the continuity that?s been established, or I think you are just going to lose everybody. Because if you go back before Kirk, and you start TRIBBLE around, and you just don?t care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever. If you are going to go there, you really better be prepared to truly put on the STAR TREK mantle and be the keeper of the flame. I think that is really hard for Rick and Brannon. It?s hard for them to do that, because they don?t like the original show. Let?s not mince words. They don?t like the original show. They have never liked the original show. They?ll bob and weave a bit here and there in public. But they don?t like it; they don?t want to have anything to do with it. If you are going to go before the original series and do something, you better have a change of attitude. You better have an epiphany about how much you love the original series. It?s all going to be about leading up to that."
    Star Trek: Majestic producer, writer, set designer, and other hats.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The Voyager didn't have quantum torpedoes? Then maybe Janeway shouldn't have kept ordering that they be fired.

And if you think the problem of food supply in deep space is insignificant - well, I don't really know what to think. Or were you under the impression that devoting one cargo hold to agriculture would provide sufficient food for a crew of something over 140 - many of whom would also require meat? And they did make a point of "replicator rationing" in the early episodes (although that seemed to have gone by the board after only a few episodes, other than that famous line about "coffee in that nebula"), implying that whatever raw materials the replicator requires, they need to resupply from somewhere.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I could have done with VOY being more like the first season of BSG (and bits of the last half of the third). With no practical resupply, shortages should have been a matter of "replicated steaks are now trading for latinum in the mess hall," not "there's coffee in that nebula." And they certainly shouldn't have been throwing around quantum torpedoes or shuttle-craft with quite such TRIBBLE abandon.

I have to agree with some points, it is kind of unfair to judge a show in comparison to shows that were created 10 years after the fact. ( before I get jumped on I know Voyager ended in 2000 and the BSG miniseries was in 2004. I am talking about the start of one show 1993-1994 and the start of another 2004.) However knowing that the producer Ron Moore created some of the best television in the last 10 years, what would he have brought to Voyager that never materialized. A darker edgier version of the show that would have been more believable, and not as much fluff. As far as Robert Picardo, I agree great actor, but some of the episodes the doctor had. Give me a break, there are some episodes I just can not stomach to watch, like ones where he sings opera, gad awful! Speaking of is there such a thing as any musicians creating music in the 24th century, why do we constantly hear 500 year old music, and that is from OUR century?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Speaking of is there such a thing as any musicians creating music in the 24th century, why do we constantly hear 500 year old music, and that is from OUR century?

Obviously music died in 1959 and what they call music in the 24th Century just sucks. Also, the music is 400 year old music since 500 year old music would be in the 1800s.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    actually I was thinking 1993-2000 - 500 1493-1500
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ronald D. Moore Was one of the main writers for BSG if anyone didnt know....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ronald D. Moore Was one of the main writers for BSG if anyone didnt know....

Actually Ronald Moore was the Executive producer of BSG.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I thought Voyager was a good show for the most part. Granted some stuff could been better on things. There was room for improvement. However all the Trek shows and movies are like that.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Actually Ronald Moore was the Executive producer of BSG.

Blergh, my bad haha.

Producers have most control on a production... so in a way he is one of the main writers I guess hahah. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited September 2013
    Speaking of is there such a thing as any musicians creating music in the 24th century, why do we constantly hear 500 year old music, and that is from OUR century?

There's some Vulcan lyre music in TOS,
    "Going o'er to Eden, yeah brother" (ahem...sorry), :rolleyes:
    Jono's Talarian rock music that annoyed Picard in TNG
    Uhura's fan dance music in Star Trek V

Before Voyager was announced, I'd predicted it to friends. "Enterprise needs to be flung across the galaxy (I was thinking Q at the time), and have to work its way back without being able to run crying to Momma Federation after every boo-boo. They'll have to be clever, and scrape for everything."

I thought this was going to be the path Voyager took, but with the exception of a few episodes (Year of Hell springs to mind) it really wasn't. I was really excited, until I saw the Kazons. Cheap Klingon knock-offs with really bad hair. That should have been my first clue something was really off.

I'm also of the opinion that there should have been more crew taken on from the planets visited, to fill the vacancies. Folks willing to leave all behind to boldly go. As it was, we got Neelix, Kes, Seven, and a pack of Borg kids.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »

Edit:

Voyager was not equipped with quantum torpedoes, just to show how much you know and actually they did keep track for some seasons of the number remaining until they decided to ignore it.

Yeah so heres a question if voyager didnt have them why would janeway bark out the order to fire quantum torps?

Idk sounds like yet another plot hole to me
    The Voyager didn't have quantum torpedoes? Then maybe Janeway shouldn't have kept ordering that they be fired.

agreed with This ^^^^^^
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't remember Voyager ever having quantum torpedoes, nor remember Janeway giving the order to fire them.

Voyager was equipped with photons and a pair of tricobalt devices used in the first episode. Throughout the series the photons were used and some would be modified for several episodes, like the bio-molecular warheads or warp flare.

An amusing video to demonstrate Voyager's use of torpedoes. :P
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'll review VOY episodes later for the command (which I do remember clearly, on several occasions). For now, I'll just quote from the Memory Alpha entry on the Voyager:
    Like many Federation starships of its time, Voyager was armed with phasers and photon torpedoes and protected by a deflector shield system. The vessel's torpedo launchers were compatible with quantum torpedoes as well, with some modification. Additionally, Voyager carried spatial charges and tricobalt devices, the latter of which were not normally carried on Starfleet vessels at the time. (VOY: "Caretaker", "Dreadnought", "Relativity", "The Voyager Conspiracy")
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    An amusing video to demonstrate Voyager's use of torpedoes. :P

loved the vid; -85 torps is great

i did come across a site that had most if not all of the voyager inconsistencies compiled, ie the size of the shuttle bay, number of torps, ect . .
    made for some interesting reading
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Its just text, copy paste it into notepad or something.
  • Options
    gabytrekgabytrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think Voyager's failings were two-fold, and Moore touches on both of them from what I read in that interview.

Firstly, Rick Berman. I've read and heard in interviews with numerous Star Trek related individuals that Rick Berman was never supposed to get his hands on the franchise as a whole. Basically, the story goes, Rick Berman was an executive at Paramount at the time The Next Generation was gearing up for its first season. He was (not surprisingly) apparently hated by every one of his colleagues so viciously that they promoted him to get him out of their sight. And they promoted him to be the producer on a show they all thought was going to fail - Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The trouble (ironically) is that TNG didn't fail, but succeeded despite everyone's predictions -- largely due to the arrival of people like Ronald D. Moore who helped give the show a clear direction. But, unfortunately, Gene Roddenberry's health and mental capacity were failing at a pretty rapid rate by the time The Next Generation was on the air, and Rick Berman somehow slithered his way into Gene's good graces and got his hands on the franchise. And the rest, is history.

Secondly, to bring it back to Voyager specifically; It just didn't feel like Voyager was really lost on the other side of the galaxy. Never mind the replicators and the shuttlecraft and all that. The ship was in vicious battles on a nearly weekly basis, and yet by the time the next episode rolled around all the carpets were steamed, the uniforms were neatly pressed, and Neelix had 3 square meals a day prepared in the mess hall. There was never any permanence to the problems the ship faced every week. They essentially just pressed a reset button at the beginning of every episode, almost as if the ship had a secret wormhole back to Utopia Planetia where all the hull fractures could be repaired in time for the next episode.

Ronald D. Moore has actually said in the commentary for Battlestar Galactica that part of his motivation for reimagining that show was the failings of Voyager. It's a fairly similar premise, at least on the surface. A single ship, alone and without any support, trying to fight off an implacable enemy while trying to find its way to Earth. But one of the key differences between Voyager and BSG is that all the hull fractures and and battle scars that Galactica took actually stayed with the ship. By the end of the show's run (spoiler alert), the Galactica literally fell apart in space because it had been beaten so viciously in battle over and over again.

Anyway... I do still love Voyager. I just have to grin and bear how unrealistic it is when watching it. The Doctor helps a lot too.
    @GabyBee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I always felt Voyager should have taken a beating and just about limped over the finish line.

the thing is star trek has always been very clean, optimistic and warm. you only have to look at the bright uniforms, the comfy ships etc to see that it has a very specific style unlike most other scifi which is quite dark and gloomy.

now shows like DS9 started to challenge that, and Voyager started to go down that route in season 1, but then very quickly settled back into the fairly safe and comfy star trek we have known before. but even though its not what i would have done, im not really against it either.

in many ways by season 7 voyager should have been looking more like the crew of the equinox, but do people want to watch that? some people hate battlestar as its too dark and depressing. voyager is unrealistic but is watching the crew get slowly taken apart over 7 years fun to watch and is it still star trek? or are people happy to wave away the implausible aspects and stick with the safe and comfy trek? if it becomes too bleak then why even bother to call it star trek any more?
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I could have done with VOY being more like the first season of BSG (and bits of the last half of the third). With no practical resupply, shortages should have been a matter of "replicated steaks are now trading for latinum in the mess hall," not "there's coffee in that nebula." And they certainly shouldn't have been throwing around quantum torpedoes or shuttlecraft with quite such TRIBBLE abandon.

Yeah you almost forgot they were stranded 70 light years from Fed space. That's why I liked that enterprise was more Spartan, but it could have been less civilized still.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My problem with VOY, without getting all too detailed in nitpicking, was that the USS Voyager and crew sure didn't seem like they were in a desperate situation, so far and so long away from home. With no friendly Starfleet base to replenish at, they were supposed to be on their own.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah you almost forgot they were stranded 70 light years from Fed space.

70 light years isn't that far. I think you're confused. Voyager was out farther than that, 75 THOUSAND light years, to be exact.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    70 light years isn't that far. I think you're confused. Voyager was out farther than that, 75 THOUSAND light years, to be exact.
    Yes, it would have been about 70 years at high warp to get home. Assuming the engines could run at high warp for 70 years, of course, and that the crew wouldn't go insane after 70 years with no shore leave...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Right it was a 70 year journey.... my bad.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
This discussion has been closed.