test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A question about ESTF's.

redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
Here's the deal, I've got my engineer in a cruiser and have it out fitted for tanking. Now I'm in an Elite STF with with full shields and health when suddenly POP! goes my ship for no apparent reason. A lot of people have joked that the borg have some kind of over powered invisible torpedo they are using.

What I want to know is: is it a bug or did the dev's do this on purpose? This has been happening ever since the Omega Rep system first came out so I'm leaning toward this being on purpose. Honestly, this is not good game design. It's one thing if the players can see the torp coming and can try and counter it somehow. But because it's invisible all you have is a sudden death and of course you get hit with the penalty. Come on Dev's, please fix this. Take out the op torp and find another way to make elite STF's harder.
[SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by redheadguy on

Comments

• Options
    lobstercatlobstercat Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This has been known for quite some time. :)

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the invisible torpedoe is real. Ithink they have nicknamed it the 'GoZa Torpedo' about a developer that left Cryptic. You can be flying with 100% hull & shields and then for no apparent reason you can see you explode into a million pieces.

The community has said that they doubt it will ever be fixed, so I guess we will just have to live with it.:confused:
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is a bug. The thing about bugs is that some are elusive beasts to slay and it takes months to track them down. Other bugs like to use decoys so the devs think they slay the beast, but the devs miss the target.

That particular bug I believe deals with the Borg plasma torpedoes losing track of their target and goes after another target, but the visual is accidentally turned off.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Something about this particular bug: There's a lot of legitimate and visible non-bugged deaths that get blamed on it. If you're close to gates, tactical cubes, command ships, or the diamond, a torpedo spread or high yield can be lethal without a couple stacked defensive buffs.

Gates can be exploited slightly, since most of their combat abilities have a range of 8-9 km, while most of yours have a range of 10 km. You can sit near max range and blast away with relative impunity. Any closer and you face torpedo spreads that are lethal on bare hull and take EPTS+brace for impact to have a reasonable chance of surviving on shields, as well as cutting beams, heavy torpedoes, and pretty substantial standard weapons fire.

Tactical cubes don't have such a weakness, but command ships and the diamond have an even worse one if you try: If you're outside of their standard range of 10km, they can target you with a beam attack that's almost guaranteed to be lethal. Command ships also have a large plasma ball attack which is absolutely guaranteed to be lethal, but which can be avoided and shot down.