test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introduce "dead is dead" difficulty level

eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
Introduce Dead is Dead difficulty to the game. No respawning. Enemies have elite difficulty hull levels and damage. Dying in a story mission ran in DiD difficulty forces you to start it over. Dying in a DiD STF kicks you out of the map, denying you all rewards, also puts cooldown on STF you failed in DiD difficulty - but no cooldown on other difficulties. Rewards: 2x dilithium and marks for STFs, blue/purple XI/XII loot only. How does that sound Trekkies ;)
Post edited by eclipsor on

Comments

• cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gawdawful .....
    Just an idea :D
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So essentially a Hardcore mode.....hmmmm
    I like your thought Captain...
    Would be a nice addition to PvP
    ...So would "Free For All" (PvP)....
    And "Multiple Team DeathMatch" -- 8 teams of 2...or 4 teams of 4...
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can already do this yourself. If you die in game, delete your character with all of it's equipment and items still on it. There's your perma-death option right there.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    You can already do this yourself. If you die in game, delete your character with all of it's equipment and items still on it. There's your perma-death option right there.
    Yeah, he's not really talking about a Dead-is-Dead mode. He's talking about Dead-is-Kicked.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    eclipsor wrote: »
    Introduce Dead is Dead difficulty to the game. No respawning. Enemies have elite difficulty hull levels and damage. Dying in a story mission ran in DiD difficulty forces you to start it over. Dying in a DiD STF kicks you out of the map, denying you all rewards, also puts cooldown on STF you failed in DiD difficulty - but no cooldown on other difficulties. Rewards: 2x dilithium and marks for STFs, blue/purple XI/XII loot only. How does that sound Trekkies ;)

Sounds like a way to increase elitism (and all the attendant problems) in the game.

No thanks.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013

He is asking for people to be booted from STFs when they die not perma death. It could be interesting especially for NWS.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you dont see the open door for abuse with this idea ?

here's one:

get nearly done with the STF.......and some guy trains the boss and all the adds onto the group just for fun.....everyone is kicked....and forced to cooldown.

or another.... not so griefy:

same situation but caused by a player that lags or disconnects.....

you think cryptic has a lot of people whining about mission mechanics now ? ...this would make their heads explode.
    Ah my bad. I got the part about STFs but I misread this part: "Dying in a story mission ran in DiD difficulty forces you to start it over."

Read that as dying in a story mission meant starting that character over again. Oops.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited September 2013

That's not the idea. The idea is to keep make it more challenging without taking the fun out of it. You call having to grind your eyeballs out fun?

OP, I like you're idea of a hardcore mode. You may even see more sci heal builds in STf's because of it. I would def be up for the challenge of an STF with 0 spawns allowed :D.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh yeah this could never fail in a public STF, we know how awesome the STO community is, no one would ever try to sabotage this ever. :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited September 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    That's not the idea. The idea is to keep make it more challenging without taking the fun out of it.

No, the idea is to create a way for the OP to get more loot.

Let's be honest here.
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Oh yeah this could never fail in a public STF, we know how awesome the STO community is, no one would ever try to sabotage this ever. :rolleyes:

And the response will be "don't PUG." Which definitely deserves :rolleyes:
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • eclipsoreclipsor Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    No, the idea is to create a way for the OP to get more loot.

Let's be honest here.

Dont tell me that you wouldnt want more and better loot for your time and effort :D

Also, its not like I run clean STFs 100% of the time - I die sometimes too. But knowing that one mistake can end my mission would just add to the excitement.
    edited September 2013
    Dont tell me that you wouldnt want more and better loot for your time and effort :D

I will tell you exactly that. Getting more loot is a bad idea when it screws up the community.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Might be interesting if there is specific content catered towards, but that might start getting into exclusivity issues and bring up the whole 'casual versus raiders' quagmire..

Adopting it to current stuff? Terrible idea. There are simply too many instant-kill things in late game content, several of which are unavoidable(borg crit-torps, unimatrix beams in hive, not even going to touch on ground stuff).
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    But knowing that one mistake can end my mission would just add to the excitement.

As others have stated, way too open to abuse by the tiny percentage of griefers.

You could self impose this on yourself by leaving if and when you die.

However, I'd caution you to only do so in a premade that has already agreed to such a restriction.

Otherwise, you'd just be letting your pug team down.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sounds kinda interesting and all but I imagine there would be a lot of problems like some people mentioned above. I also believe there would be much more Romulan complaints seeing as they could escape death much easier than most KDF and Feds.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think increased time-out upon subsequent deaths, the way it is now, is good enough.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Rewards: 2x dilithium and marks for STFs, blue/purple XI/XII loot only.

I would like to raise you by purple mk XII and x4 dilithium.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I could see this option in storyline or single-person content. But I feel it would be a massive disaster if it was outside a premade group.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I could see this option in storyline or single-person content. But I feel it would be a massive disaster if it was outside a premade group.

I totally agree and, in fact, might be interested in trying it with a premade.

Could be interesting.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They could set this up as a Private Queue option. Letting it be open to Public Queue would be too risky. They could also add more challenges to Private Queues and have accolades associated with them. Like completing Hive Onslaught Elite with buffed enemies and debuffed players.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The current state of the game prevents this from happening, not to mention griefers.
    It doesn't matter how good you are or how good your ship is. You will die from a normal torpedo that crits for a ridiculous amount. I'm not talking about heavy yields that you can destroy.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you really want permanent dead, you can always delete your own character every time it gets killed, there is no reason to made permanent dead available to everybody else, even if it's made as an optional difficulty level
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think this is the way the game should be played, respawning in ships is... stupid.
    But the reality is the game is so full of bugs and balance issues that go on for months or years that it couldn't be done well.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel