so.. Another 6 months later..

unknownmgxunknownmgx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
Paid race Change yet?
Post edited by unknownmgx on

Comments

• Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    With trait respecs, I doubt this is ever going to happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Don't really need it and it isn't worth the effort....one little free racial trait isn't going to make or break your game.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Don't really need it and it isn't worth the effort....one little free racial trait isn't going to make or break your game.

would still be "cool" to have though... maybe I want to turn my ugly Pakled character into a sexy Andorian?

:eek:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Whilst such a request is practical for a player, it isn't practical for business. If you are given the ability to re-species a character, there is nothing to encourage you to create new characters.

New characters are likely to acquire more fleet modules, more master keys and more lobi items. If someone can just come along and change their character whenever they want, they'd never need alts.

Such request is bad for business. I can't see it ever happening, and to be honest, I'd support the business theme here.
    thay8472 wrote: »
    would still be "cool" to have though... maybe I want to turn my ugly Pakled character into a sexy Andorian?
    If you started the game as an ugly Pakled, you deserve to be stuck with it. :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    rainmotorsportsrainmotorsports Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    With trait respecs, I doubt this is ever going to happen.

Last i checked the trait respec system was stated to be a step in making this happen.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This would be far more useful for KDF characters, since tailor customization is heavily dependent on base 'race'.

Feddies get mostly all the same costumes, so it's irrelevant.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    ....If you started the game as an ugly Pakled, you deserve to be stuck with it. :P

oooo...... harsh !

"bu..bu...bu....but my mamma says I'm beautiful !"

edited September 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    "bu..bu...bu....but my mamma says I'm beautiful !"
    A Mummy Pakled is bound to say that. ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    A Mummy Pakled is bound to say that. ;)

Doubtful. Too many syllables.
    edited September 2013
    I can tell you quite honestly that our Species data is not currently set up in a way that would allow this to happen.

Not to say that couldn't be changed some day... but doing so would be a monumental undertaking, in order to alter the definitions for every single playable Species in the game, and their associated Costume allowances.

In other words: Don't count on it.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    '

" Imm...Imm...uh.....Imma...glad mamma told me I'm purdy then. "

edited September 2013
    I really hope this doesn't happen. If you pick vulcan you should have play as a vulcan, not switch to an andorian when you get bored. If you wanna play a different race, then make an alt.

The only race I would consider this acceptable would a trill becoming joined.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That pretty much answers that. Doable, but not enough bang for the buck to make it worth doing, eh?

What about a cosmetic-only sort of thing?

I'm thinking of all those Trek episodes where people were surgically altered to look like a different alien race, sometimes drastically altered.

I'm thinking about a kind of costume unlock that simply makes certain extra options available for that particular costume. Doesn't change anything else about that character.

What about that?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I really hope this doesn't happen. If you pick vulcan you should have play as a vulcan, not switch to an andorian when you get bored. If you wanna play a different race, then make an alt.

The only race I would consider this acceptable would a trill becoming joined.

What about those of us who have "alien" Romulans that would love to have ACTUAL Romulans on the Fed or KDF side? An argument could be made with the new alliance to have playable Romulans for the other factions. This is why I'm in favor of a re-species token. And I'll admit, I have an Andorian I kind of want to redo as a Caitain, currently plan to delete and redo that way but if I could just re-species him, problem solved.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not really interested in a race change, but any chance of ever being able to change sex?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Not really interested in a race change, but any chance of ever being able to change sex?
    Eww. :P

It's bad enough that 98% (made-up statistic, but probably fairly accurate) of female characters are played by men, the last thing we need is a man playing a woman who used to be a man. :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    ... the last thing we need is a man playing a woman who used to be a man. :eek:

who's "playing" ?

;):cool:
    edited September 2013
    rtk142 wrote: »
    What about those of us who have "alien" Romulans that would love to have ACTUAL Romulans on the Fed or KDF side? An argument could be made with the new alliance to have playable Romulans for the other factions. This is why I'm in favor of a re-species token. And I'll admit, I have an Andorian I kind of want to redo as a Caitain, currently plan to delete and redo that way but if I could just re-species him, problem solved.

I think Bort pretty much just gave you your answer.

You could re-roll and re-level new characters before they ever get around to doing a "re-species", if they ever. Or just buy the new slots and keep the others around just in case.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I think Bort pretty much just gave you your answer.

You could re-roll and re-level new characters before they ever get around to doing a "re-species", if they ever. Or just buy the new slots and keep the others around just in case.

That's understandable. He really doesn't have anything as it is, just tier 1 of Romulan rep so he can transwarp to tau dewa to make getting to arcuins/hromi or however they're spelled easier.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Whilst such a request is practical for a player, it isn't practical for business. If you are given the ability to re-species a character, there is nothing to encourage you to create new characters.

The rep grinds, fleet credits, lobi, and per character unlocks already create enough of an obstacle to discourage alt making past a certain point. Unless they're farmers. If anything a race change ability would encourage players to stay with the game longer as tehy could get to play the race they wanted instead of leaving because they feel the climb would be too much to start from scratch.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    What about a cosmetic-only sort of thing?
    I'd like to believe that could work. Temporal Ambassador forces us into a particular costume, so it shouldn't be a stretch to force head options as well...right?
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I'd like to believe that could work. Temporal Ambassador forces us into a particular costume, so it shouldn't be a stretch to force head options as well...right?
    Um... the devs have commented on how hard it was to make that work, and if it was on ALL the time it'd be glitchy as heck...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    unknownmgxunknownmgx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can tell you quite honestly that our Species data is not currently set up in a way that would allow this to happen.

Not to say that couldn't be changed some day... but doing so would be a monumental undertaking, in order to alter the definitions for every single playable Species in the game, and their associated Costume allowances.

well at least its an official response 12 months later...

what strange wierd little engine this game seems to be built on :confused:

with blizzard costing at $25 bucks a pop for a race change, you think it would pay return on the dev time for itself in a month, hmm voth is the only thing that even keeps me interested in this game anymore :(

you think you they could go around it some way, so create a new character and delete the old one Lvl for LVL rather than modifying , just replace, and set the same rep's etc
    so a lvl 40 human engineer gets deleted and new level 40 andorian engineer gets created
    and the reps get bumped to the same level that they were, inventory get gets copied across etc, everything about every character is just a field in database
    what do you guys code in? foxpro? :P
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The rep grinds, fleet credits, lobi, and per character unlocks already create enough of an obstacle to discourage alt making past a certain point. Unless they're farmers. If anything a race change ability would encourage players to stay with the game longer as tehy could get to play the race they wanted instead of leaving because they feel the climb would be too much to start from scratch.

Yeah the Rep Grind, Grind for Dil on Cap, Grind for FM, Grind for everything else. I made Alts to try out different professions. But the costs, time and work you have to put in to get an Alt up to speed is insane.

It's crazy. I would gladly create more Alts if i could change my species, its a species change, not a class change, so id still be a Fed, still be Tac, just not a Vulcan. Big whoop.
    So i guess its my fault for not picking an alien on my Primary toon, cause now i am stuck as a Vulcan. Heck the only reason i want to change my Species, is so i can make a tiny Vulcan to a Giant Vulcan.

but its the grinding that makes people stay away from alts, and the grind and cap that gets most new players put out. Why make an Alt when you still have so much work to do to catch up to other players?

I barely play my Science toon, and my Engineer is parked at level 11 and not going up too fast because the weight of having to do all that grind over again makes me not want to play either of them.

If at the very least i was T5 on my primary, each rep would cost just the upgrade on each toon. That way you grind out on one toon, adn then only have to grind for the stuff. Gear, Consoles and such.

Something to help new players and give people a reason to make Alts. New Alt with less grind. That would be awfully nice. Maybe a Discount in Rep projects. Like consoles and weapons. Again for stuff Previously unlocked on one toon....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited September 2013

thanks to gods, I am a beautiful and really sexy orionian girl. mieeeeewwww
    :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited September 2013

What i do not understand about this is why.

How does Species data have anything to do with it?

Can you maybe elaborate just once?

Change Species Token. Upon use it brings you to a Character creator screen. Only Availabel options are Gender, Species and then Normal Tailor operations. Automatically Removes saved costumes, so you have to Redo all your costumes for your new Race.

Why is that so Difficult? Thats all it is. There i gave you the answer. You guys think too much sometimes.....
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I have 11 alts, and I don't grind.

..... grinding is a 'choice' not mandatory.

edited September 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »

:eek:

That would cost you about 30 race change tokens ;)
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol