test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"text has profane words in it"

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello all. Im finishing up my first project and i ran accross this. I have no "profane" words in my story line but it is saying that i have about 6 of them in my dialogue. How can i fix something that i dont have??? Anyone ran into this problem? Need Help! :confused:

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Kuhr wrote: »
    Hello all. Im finishing up my first project and i ran accross this. I have no "profane" words in my story line but it is saying that i have about 6 of them in my dialogue. How can i fix something that i dont have??? Anyone ran into this problem? Need Help! :confused:

Thanks.

carefully scan your text for compound words that are combining to make unintended words. Wrist watch got filtered out of a forum post because the space in the middle was left out and a "profane" word was created in the middle. Crazy, eh?
    edited May 2011
    if you click on the line it may take you to the section in question.

the profanity filter will take spaces into account so if the back end of a word is part of it and the front of the next word is the rest of it then it will flag it.

or it may be a spelling mistake in a longer word. ive seen people have *** right in the middle of a word because they misspelt a long word and used a 'u' instead of an 'o' for example.
    edited May 2011
    Check your text for words like these, which might have been misspelled

Shift
    Continue
    Count
    Country
    Duck
    Damage
    Trap
    Crop

I'm not sure if words like Assignment and Assassinate will trigger the filter, but you might want to consider changing them to words like "Mission" and "Terminate", and see if the badword count goes down. If it does, you may want to remove words like Class, Pass, and Mass as well.
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes spaces between words register as bad words.

"I would not wish it on anyone."
    The system removes the white space and sees wish and it being naughty.
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Please keep them coming. Ok, i did a retype and still same thing. How is this a profane thing: What do you want?

thats all i have typed and its saying its profane. :confused:
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Please keep them coming. Ok, i did a retype and still same thing. How is this a profane thing: What do you want?

thats all i have typed and its saying its profane. :confused:

Sounds like a bug. Make sure it's spelled properly in the editor.
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like a bug. Make sure it's spelled properly in the editor.

Yep, spelled correctly. Has to be a bug. How do I work this out now?:eek:
    edited May 2011

blank the text and publish with the word "hello" in the dialog. Once you successfully publish, go back and change and try to republish.
    edited May 2011

File a report and be like "What the TRIBBLE, Cryptic?"
    edited May 2011
    It may help if you post the offending text here. Assuming there isn't any real profanity in it, it should be okay.

One easy to encounter problem that comes to mind, though, "damn" is considered profane language in the foundry. Considering how often that word was used in canon, by pretty much every captain of the shows, it is quite silly, but that could easily be your issue.
    edited May 2011
    The definition of profane used by Cryptic is absurdly broad. There are a couple of other words I've stumbled on which were just absolutely ridiculous. They were words that were used in ordinary speech and had nothing to do with profanity, but someone apparently thinks they do? A word shouldn't be considered profane based on some bizarre slang definition that hardly anyone even knows.
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    From what I've just experienced [got the same message and was wondering why, that's why I sought out this topic], the word "urine" seems to be considered profane so you'll want to use another term instead.

In the future, Cryptic, it'd be great if we could get a full list of what words are appropriate and what words aren't so we'd know for the future...or, at the very least, when we click on the task that would tell us there's something profane, highlight the profanity (or the sections that make it up) so we'd know what exactly to change. :)
    2rbz410.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, the filter has some really strange entries.... It'd be nice to see them documented. BTW, parenthesis sometimes seem to confuse the filter.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • frankhs30frankhs30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had same problem - was flagging my Project Description as having profanity in it

Thanks for all your suggestions from this thread - fixed/moved spaces, double checked everything, checked the silly stuff

found it was flagging 1.3.2 as profanity - lol

I use version numbers to let me know where I am and what the status of the updates are and keep notes in Private Author Notes

ver 1.3.1 = okay

ver 1.3.2 = profane<- really incomprehensible

ver 1.3.3 = okay
    frankhs30

Kotagh II and L'ael on KDF - House of Duras
    T'Pur in Federation Sol Trade Consortium Fleet
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They should just rip out the profanity filter and rewrite it so we don't have to work around the Clbuttic Mistake all the time. I even had to point that link at a redirect because the censor here on the boards has the exact same issue.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1.3.2 probably means %$!* in Borg.
  • realmalizerealmalize Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Profanity? We don't have any goram frakkin profanity.
    foundry_banner1.png
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Last post until today 09-15-2012.

Make a new thread if you still have the problem :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the 132 thing is more of an injoke than profanity.... It has to do with how that number looks when converted to 10-digit binary... yeah its THAT obscure.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    "Captain! A Necro-class Thread just decloaked!"

"Photon torpedoes, full spread! Phasers, fire!"

"Direct hit, Captain!"

"Mod, send a priority message to Starfleet. We have disabled a Necro. Advise them that this Necro was hidden for more than 30 days before it suddenly decloaked and we had to neutralize it."

OOC: Please don't post in threads that have been "cloaked" for 30 days or more. Start a new one.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.