test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

And his name was Jane - Cryptic's weird sense of humor

monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
While starting doff assignments I noticed I had a male bartender named Jane Zombie.

Out of curiosity I checked the wiki and found out where I got it from, a temporal beacon from a lock box.
40g4.jpg
http://sto.gamepedia.com/Jane_Zombie

Turns out the doff is a reference to the main character in an old short story called -All you zombies-. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies%E2%80%94

From wikipedia:
Plot - "'?All You Zombies?'" chronicles a young man (later revealed to be intersex) taken back in time and tricked into impregnating his younger, female self (before he underwent a sex change); he thus turns out to be the offspring of that union, with the paradoxical result that he is his own mother and father. As the story unfolds, all the major characters are revealed to be the same person, at different stages of her/his life.

WTF Cryptic? LMAO that's funny. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Lol thats not as bad as one of my romulan DOFFs named Koc yes thats actually his name ive been trying to get screenshots of it but my laptop refuses to take them.

I think the devs like to have a little fun and see if we can catch these little things i for one found that DOFFs name funny and it made me do a double take when i first got him lol :D
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think that was done with all the the Temporal Lockbox doffs (maybe others, I'm not sure). Verne Brown (Back To The Future), Dr Martha Jones Smith (Doctor Who), Marion Frances Dulmur (X Files), etc...
  • Options
    dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Indeed. Each of the temporal doffs is a tribute to a famous time travel franchise or character.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There's some other ones running around too. Its quite funny.
    dixonium wrote: »
    Indeed. Each of the temporal doffs is a tribute to a famous time travel franchise or character.

Yup. Marion Dulmur and Adam Lucsly are anagrams (letter rearrangements) of Scully and Mulder from the X-Files.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I like the reference to the short story 'Wikihistory' (Sterling Renard) best.

Everyone wants to go to the past and kill Hitler....
  • Options
    g0vawkg0vawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As far as I know Dulmer and Lucsly are the names of the two Department of Temporal Investigation agents who visit Ben Sisko in 'Trials and Tribble-ations'.
    X-Files was popular at the time that episode was written ~ 1997, the author probably used Mulder and Scully as inspiration.

If anything Dulmer and Lucsly DOFF's make a lot of sense in STO, they are probably still alive in 2409.
    sig.
    It's not what is done or said but why.
    Words and actions may be judged, but motives?

Motives are truth to a believer
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There's some other ones running around too. Its quite funny.

Yup. Marion Dulmur and Adam Lucsly are anagrams (letter rearrangements) of Scully and Mulder from the X-Files.

They are also in the Trial and Tribble-ations episode from DS9 where Sisko meets Kirk. Berlinghoff Rasmussen is from TNG. Juel Ducane is from Voyager. Miranda Bateson is apparently based off of Morgan Bateson from TNG which was played by Kelsey Grammer. Morgan Bateson commanded a Miranda so that is how her name came about. Parell is from DS9 which doesn't make sense how she exists since her timeline was destroyed. Sterling Renard's saying is apparently in relation to a short story about people posting in a forum about killing Hitler and the mod having to save Hitler since no Hitler means no World War II which means no computers which means no time travel. So half of the Temporal Doffs are actual Star Trek characters.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Parell is from DS9 which doesn't make sense how she exists since her timeline was destroyed.
    In this universe. :P

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Isis yet. :P "Mrowl?" :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Also missed Rain Robinson from Voyager.

Certainly wouldn't want to be Jane Zombie compared to all the others. The whole concept of being your own mother and father is just too disturbing.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They are also in the Trial and Tribble-ations episode from DS9 where Sisko meets Kirk. Berlinghoff Rasmussen is from TNG. Juel Ducane is from Voyager. Miranda Bateson is apparently based off of Morgan Bateson from TNG which was played by Kelsey Grammer. Morgan Bateson commanded a Miranda so that is how her name came about.

Nitpick: The USS Bozeman (the ship Morgan Bateson commanded) was not a Miranda but a Soyuz.:D
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Nitpick: The USS Bozeman (the ship Morgan Bateson commanded) was not a Miranda but a Soyuz.:D

There is no real difference between the Miranda and Soyuz except the Miranda has that rollbar. Soyuz doesn't make a good female's name, but Miranda does and the ships are pretty much the same ship so Miranda Bateson makes more sense than Soyuz Bateson.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My first thought seeing the title of this thread was this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0579530/quotes

Guess I was wrong. :)

And now I got that dang tune stuck in my head..
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There is no real difference between the Miranda and Soyuz except the Miranda has that rollbar. Soyuz doesn't make a good female's name, but Miranda does and the ships are pretty much the same ship so Miranda Bateson makes more sense than Soyuz Bateson.

The Soyuz is also studded with antenna pods and has an extended aft section. And I don't care about her name, they could have called her Morgaine or Soya for all I care. Just wanted to point it out that the Soyuz actually was its own class even though it shared some similarities with the Miranda.
    idrona wrote: »
    My first thought seeing the title of this thread was this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0579530/quotes

Guess I was wrong. :)

And now I got that dang tune stuck in my head..

The same happened to me. The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne.....
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Lol thats not as bad as one of my romulan DOFFs named Koc yes thats actually his name ive been trying to get screenshots of it but my laptop refuses to take them.

Don't post that doff because these pwe Gorn Managers will ban your account.Already happened to me.Its against the rules to post you the reason but clearly shows what type of "humans" can TRIBBLE your account.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dude....I'd give you some friendly advice about 'tact' ... but we all know how far that goes....
    edited September 2013
    While starting doff assignments I noticed I had a male bartender named Jane Zombie.

Out of curiosity I checked the wiki and found out where I got it from, a temporal beacon from a lock box.
    40g4.jpg
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Jane_Zombie

Turns out the doff is a reference to the main character in an old short story called -All you zombies-. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies%E2%80%94

From wikipedia:

WTF Cryptic? LMAO that's funny. :D

And here I thought Jane Zombie was a reference to Michael Jackson and Thriller. :P
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited September 2013

The same happened to me. The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne.....

Can't go wrong with a man who truly understands the chain of command

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7BrfHNP7w
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just bought a doff with a name I can't repeat on the forum. It starts with an S and ends with a T and has been refered to as a woman with the morals of a man. I kid you not, how the heck did that get in the game?
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I think the devs like to have a little fun and see if we can catch these little things i for one found that DOFFs name funny and it made me do a double take when i first got him lol :D

What's wrong with Koc? I like Koc? I think Koc is fine, why wouldn't someone like Koc, Koc does great things, and Koc is very useful...do you have blue Koc, or Purple Koc...I guess having Blue Koc would suck. :cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well, this thread went to hell fast. :eek:

Seriously though, I too have seen some doff names that made me stop and even doublecheck my engrish.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    A flight deck officer doff named toss.
    Makes me smirk everytime.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Blue Koc is still better then a having a Green Koc.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My KDF main and one of my Fed alts both have Jane Zombie behind the bar. He's (she's?) great at the bartending mission chain - a lot of useful traits on that guy (gal).
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon