What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R.I.P. Mark Valentine (aka h2orat)

Comments

• Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sorry to hear that. Time for a plaque to be placed at Starfleet Academy and First City.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've been away from the internet the entire day and am greatly saddened to read this news.

My condolences go out to all his family, both work and personal, he touched all our lives in one way or another, and the void he leaves behind will be hard to fill.

I invite everyone to go back and watch the trailers he made for the game, and to remember his love of his art and his love of his job.
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am disappointed in this news. Mark did some outstanding video work for STO and he will surely be missed by this videographer. :(

My thoughts and prayers go to his family and the employees of Cryptic during this difficult time.

*raises glass of Chateau Picard* To absent friends...
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited September 2013
    My sincerest condolences to the team at Cryptic Studios and to the family of Mark "h2orat" Valentine.
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    as a suggestion to his passing. I think that branflakes or cryptic member should hold a public memorial service for him either on earth or quonos or a mutal planet.
  • Options
    blu3drag0n1977blu3drag0n1977 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My condolences to his friends and family.
    as Sulu said "May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your Planet!"
    Why not both?

The DOFF as a tribute and his Foundry mission(s) as a memorial.

i agree with Azurianstar
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My condolences. Losing such a talented individual at the top of their game is tragic. GG and godspeed sir!
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is extremely sad news, and my condolences to his friends and family.

I agree with the suggestions that something should be done in game to honor / remember him.

It's the right thing to do.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Hopefully, he is currently making a Star Trek MMO for all the fans of Star Trek that have passed on that makes STO look like it was made by a bunch of 5 years olds in comparison or fulfill whatever dream he might have had on this Earth.
    What does this have to do with the passing of Mark?

Anyway, this is a really sad loss. I remember fondly watching that F2P trailer and going "Wow, hats off to ever did this." STO's trailers will never be the same.

Does anyone know what the last trailer he worked on was?
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited September 2013
    Did he do this trailer? I have watched it a dozen times and it never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqed10FOmL4
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    as a suggestion to his passing. I think that branflakes or cryptic member should hold a public memorial service for him either on earth or quonos or a mutal planet.

Don't know if it is the appropriate place but Wolf 359 comes to mind.
  • Options
    willomallywillomally Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Rest in peace Mr Valentine for you are beyond the veil of tears free the trial's and pain of this world. :(
    [SIGPIC]

Look at the pretty mushroom grow
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My heart goes out to Mark's family, may they find comfort during these times of trouble. Mark is a huge lost to the Cryptic team, and his work is memorable.

May the CRYPTIC team find a way to honor his memory in game, God speed Mark. A shining star has dimmed in the Star Trek universe, but his memory will forever burn bright in the hearts and minds of those that knew him, loved him, and honored him.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2013
    Did he do this trailer? I have watched it a dozen times and it never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqed10FOmL4

Yes, that was Mark.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    derekslidederekslide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My condolences to your team, his family and friends.
    All the best to everyone @ Cryptic.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    May the Nexus take him in forever.

"Mirab, with sails unfurled...Temba, his arms wide".
    edited September 2013
    Very sad news. I never had the pleasure to talk directly but often saw his contributions to the forums and indeed podcasts.

Thoughts are with his friends, family and colleagues.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    We should have a new ship class named after him, i'll be honored to have it.. Valentine Class..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So sad to hear this. :(

My condolences to his family, friends and co-workers at Cryptic.

21 torpedoes salute.

/e salute
  • Options
    mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    :(

My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

I never knew him personally, only from his brilliant work and postings on the forums.

Like many others I support the suggestion of celebrating his life and achievements, both in and out of game. :)
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Wow... so very sad and a loss to the entire STO community... My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and friends...
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Is it bad taste to suggest a memorial somewhere in-game?

I am sure he will find his place on the wing of the Great Bird of the Galaxy.
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The only real time I met the guy in zone in ESD I argued with him about Harry Mudd. He was right JJ was planing a female Mudd. Rat I salute you o7
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can't say I ever had the pleasure of meeting him, but it's always sad to learn when we lose someone from the community. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Rest well.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm very sorry to hear this.

My condolences to his family, friends and work colleagues.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I always enjoyed chatting with Mark. He was a passionate fan. At one point, we dreamed up getting in touch with Michael Dorn about his Captain Worf project. mark and I discussed ideas for a CG Worf movie and we wanted to get Dorn in touch with some of his ILM friends.

He was supportive, friendly, fun, and a passionate fan of Trek.

Most of all, even though we never met in person, his humanity shone in his video work and in the conversations I had with him. It's been hard not to get weepy about this.

He was one of the folks at Cryptic I always had such great interactions with, in the UGC forums, here, on facebook, and in game. He joined in for some events on his own account.

I know he must have been going through a lot. I saw that people were raising money to help him. I sent him a message in game awhile back to see if he needed anything and just to let him know I was keeping him in my thoughts. I didn't want to be brash or excessive so I kept it brief. He logged out and I regretted saying anything because I realized he must have been showered with comments and didn't want to dwell.

He was very passionate about his work, ambitious, and very human. I'm glad to have gotten to know him some through Star Trek. Watching his trailers won't be the same. He always seemed to find ways to tug on the heart strings in his work.

Second star to the right, Mark. Straight on till morning.
  • Options
    theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    R.I.P. Mark
    One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
    Forum Member Since Feb 2010
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bazag wrote: »
    Mark Valentine (aka h2orat), former Video/Media supervisor at PWE and foundry Author has passed away.

Mark was responsible for some great trailer videos for Star Trek Online particularly, created the spotlit foundry mission The Rising Pheonix and was all around a good guy.

Mark had to take leave for treatment when he was diagnosed with cancer. The cancer had spread but now seemed under control and things were improving. Unfortunately you cannot take anything for granted with cancer and he died.

My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends through this time and I am sure he will be missed at Cryptic and at Perfect World.

H2orat's GoFundMe has more details regarding how things have been going.

I'm sorry to hear of his loss, both as a player, Foundry author and as a person who enjoyed the product of his hard work, expertise and time at Perfect World/Cryptic.

R.I.P. and Qapla'. My sincere condolences.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    rhakatheredrhakathered Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My condolences. Dying of cancer is something I don't wish on anybody and I'm sorry to hear that he succumbed to it.
  • Options
    stardefence1stardefence1 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Rest In Peace Mark
    Time To Rest And Close Your Eyes
    You Will Be Forever Missed By All Star Trek Fans For All The Fantastic Work You Did
    You Can See It All Came From The Heart
    My Sympathies For The Family
    But Remember He Brought A Smile To Every Bodys Face
    And That Truly Makes Him A Special Person

All The Best To Marks Family And To The Sto Team
    Keep Smiling