test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why everyone who bought the scimitar feels disriminated ?

Comments

• Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I still dont see what people have against these ships, yes to begin with it was a bit glitchy but now its a fine ship, and I have been saying right from the begening, its a ship that needs to be used correctly, rather than trying to make it fit with the current ship catagories, I find this ship is much more of a hybrid ship, its got some carrier capacity, some tank abilities and some dps abilities, it will never be excellent at either one of these but it does a cracking job at being great at all three, the ship also gives alot of build flexibility, I run one with a shed load of fleet equipment onboard, (just need fleet shields to complete it) and its fairly spectacular, I also, as mentioned above, run one as a torpedo boat, this is also an incredably good ship and gives great survivability in combat while your cloak is down due to the fact you can max out your shield power. Over all I have not once thought this ship was rubbush and have recomended it to a great many fleet freinds, who have subsiquiently bought them and agreed with me.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    johankreig wrote: »
    I find this ship is much more of a hybrid ship, its got some carrier capacity, some tank abilities and some dps abilities, it will never be excellent at either one of these

The Scimitar is, hands down, the highest dps in space. And it does that while being quite tanky at the same time. It really isn't very balanced at all. If you aren't seeing these results, you're doing it wrong.

The worst thing about the Scimitar is that it can equip those three worthless consoles - a trap.
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm running a standard Scimitar, no great frills. Aegis set, Elachi Cannons, Qtorps, Elachi beams everywhere else. Full 3 piece Simi set. Its far from perfect but I can hold my own easily in PvE and can even kill stuff in PvP. I'm not a serious player out to get every ounce of dps out of it, I know what i can do as a player and the scimitar works for me.

I'm also building up a crowd control version for my Sci Scimitar but I'm taking my time over that.

The Scimitar is a very esoteric, eccentric ship, very very powerful, not invincible by any means at all.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2013

(...)

The Scimitar is a very esoteric, eccentric ship, very very powerful, not invincible by any means at all.

Mine is!

(It's the name I gave it :P )
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Why everyone who bought the scimitar feels discriminated ?
    I saw everywhere threads of protest against this ship.

Someone complains about the Thalaron Pulse, someone else complains about it being so squishy.

why you bought it ?
    I love the Scimitar, I started as a romulan only to get a Scimitar, but when they released it, i didn't bought it.

I knew it wasn't a good ship.
    Too squishy, too big and with low turn rate.

it is probably one of the worst ship in the game, and I knew it.
    I said it about 20 times in various threads, but no one believed me.
    Worst ship in the game?

Is this supposed to be a comedy thread or something?

Scimitar BOFF layout:
    Tac:Cmdr.
    Eng: Lt.
    Sci: Li.
    Uni: Lt.Cmdr
    Uni: Ens.

Dual Heavy Cannons
    Romulan Battle Cloak
    Weapons 5/3
    Base Hull: exactly like the "Exploration Cruiser Retrofit"
    Crew: 3000
    Hangar:1
    Turn Rate: 7 (even better than "Exploration Cruiser Retrofit" which is several times smaller than this monster)

What possible reason could a sane person have to feel disadvantage in any way when flying this ship?
    Is it because it it still has too little maneuverability? :confused:
    What did you expect, a turn rate like a defiant?

Heck i would do some really dirty things if i could a get a GCSC rework that only half as good than this overpowered thing.

If you feel discriminated or disadvantaged, then fly a GCS once in a while and your peace of mind will be restored again. :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    chlamidiotchlamidiot Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's hard to fly. I asked for advice from the guy I think does it best.

TT, BO2, CRF2, APO3
    EPTE1, A2B1
    ET, A2B1, EPTS3

TB
    HE, TSS

2 Fleet RCS/+dmgres
    2 scim consoles (barrage and sing unit), Valdore console
    5xdmg

Someday I'll get me a BO3 rom.

The gist of it is your cloak recharge time should be shorter than your cloak bonus time. For PvP it pretty much needs to be under 15s because that's how long APO lasts. EPTE, 2 console bonus, 2 RCS, APO, cloak bonus, she moves fine. When APO goes down in PvP you need to be re-cloaking.
    -notredricky
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2013

Someone complains about the Thalaron Pulse, someone else complains about it being so squishy.

why you bought it ?
    I love the Scimitar, I started as a romulan only to get a Scimitar, but when they released it, i didn't bought it.

Let's all remember the guy who started this thread does not own the ship or intend to get it.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lol for all those who keep saying the consoles are useless as a 3 set, can they explain why, I always run mine with the full 3 set and never have any issues at all, I get perfect cloak, barrage, secondary shields and if thats not good enough a handy thaelron shotgun, I cant think of any other consoles that I could buy that would give me the same benefits, I get both good survivability and excellent damage from all my scimitar varients regardless of weapons and none of them even use a ship set, just fleet stuff, coupled with the valdore console and the borg console.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lol for all those who keep saying the consoles are useless as a 3 set, can they explain why, I always run mine with the full 3 set and never have any issues at all, I get perfect cloak, barrage, secondary shields and if thats not good enough a handy thaelron shotgun, I cant think of any other consoles that I could buy that would give me the same benefits, I get both good survivability and excellent damage from all my scimitar varients regardless of weapons and none of them even use a ship set, just fleet stuff, coupled with the valdore console and the borg console.

simple answer is, there are better universal consoles from which you benefit more in the longrun.

especialy the thalaron can be considered a questionable dmg boost...the time it takes to power it up, if you aren't going to hit atleast 4 ships it was a waste of time. Not even mentioning the vulnerability it exposes you. In PVP useless, and in PVE you must be lucky to hit more than 3 at a time. Sure, when it hits into a bee hive, it is genocide...sacrificing 1-2 valuable console slots is a longterm dps reduction.
    secondary shields are ok and a nice "ohh **** button", the real winner is the permanent shield console, because the tactical opportunities it represents especially with romulan boffs. The barage is simply a gimmic with a very long cooldown. Unnecessary in PVE and too weak for PVP.

however if you do not own plasmonic leech, tachokynetic thingy, assimilated console, zero point console, and some fleet/embassy consoles, those 3 consoles that come with the ship still have a place in the setup. However every single one of those are worth more than having a thalaron beam aboard.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    simple answer is, there are better universal consoles from which you benefit more in the longrun.

especialy the thalaron can be considered a questionable dmg boost...the time it takes to power it up, if you aren't going to hit atleast 4 ships it was a waste of time. Not even mentioning the vulnerability it exposes you. In PVP useless, and in PVE you must be lucky to hit more than 3 at a time. Sure, when it hits into a bee hive, it is genocide...sacrificing 1-2 valuable console slots is a longterm dps reduction.
    secondary shields are ok and a nice "ohh **** button", the real winner is the permanent shield console, because the tactical opportunities it represents especially with romulan boffs. The barage is simply a gimmic with a very long cooldown. Unnecessary in PVE and too weak for PVP.

however if you do not own plasmonic leech, tachokynetic thingy, assimilated console, zero point console, and some fleet/embassy consoles, those 3 consoles that come with the ship still have a place in the setup. However every single one of those are worth more than having a thalaron beam aboard.

You'd also do well to have the Valdore console and a couple of fleet Neutroniums.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    eldritchx wrote: »
    You'd also do well to have the Valdore console and a couple of fleet Neutroniums.

Yup. I go fleet RCS with a half a neut. Valdore console is the single biggest reason to never fly a non-warbird again. CRF just feeds you SP.

Thalaron is a gimmick to me as well. Beautiful, to be sure, but short of an STF with something big or a bunch of static stuff the cd is too long to risk whiffing, IMO.
    -notredricky
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    chlamidiot wrote: »
    Yup. I go fleet RCS with a half a neut. Valdore console is the single biggest reason to never fly a non-warbird again. CRF just feeds you SP.

Thalaron is a gimmick to me as well. Beautiful, to be sure, but short of an STF with something big or a bunch of static stuff the cd is too long to risk whiffing, IMO.

Funniest TRIBBLE ever that I saw in PvP:

Team A: 1 Recluse, 4 Scimitars (I was Scimitar 4)
    Team B: 1 Mobius, 1 Odyssey, 1 FAER, 1 Wells, 1 FTER

One guy in a Recluse, 4 guys in Scimitars. Guy in recluse uses GW3 and Tholian Web on enemy team right before the omegas come up, guy in Scimitar 1 uses elachi console, guy in Scimitar 2 uses DPB3 and Nukara mines. Guy in Scimitar 3 drops a tykens and hits the guys on the outskirts with Elachi Console, Scimitar 4 just watches.

1 Second later, TF2 comes up, Scimitars 2 and 4 hit APA3 and APO3, and then all 4 Scimitars Thalaron. The entire enemy team was wiped.

Buuuut that was just good coordination and about 5 minutes of arguing and discussion while cloaked (with the recluse just tanking it's balls off). Sufficed to say, Thalaron works in PvP, but not often. But when it does, it's hilarious.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Funniest TRIBBLE ever that I saw in PvP:

Team A: 1 Recluse, 4 Scimitars (I was Scimitar 4)
    Team B: 1 Mobius, 1 Odyssey, 1 FAER, 1 Wells, 1 FTER

One guy in a Recluse, 4 guys in Scimitars. Guy in recluse uses GW3 and Tholian Web on enemy team right before the omegas come up, guy in Scimitar 1 uses elachi console, guy in Scimitar 2 uses DPB3 and Nukara mines. Guy in Scimitar 3 drops a tykens and hits the guys on the outskirts with Elachi Console, Scimitar 4 just watches.

1 Second later, TF2 comes up, Scimitars 2 and 4 hit APA3 and APO3, and then all 4 Scimitars Thalaron. The entire enemy team was wiped.

Buuuut that was just good coordination and about 5 minutes of arguing and discussion while cloaked (with the recluse just tanking it's balls off). Sufficed to say, Thalaron works in PvP, but not often. But when it does, it's hilarious.

I would pay for fraps of that. EC anyway.
    -notredricky
  • Options
    ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

why you bought it ?

What?... What?... What?
    1. The Falchion is my favorite ship in the game, beating out my Kar'fi and my fed Fleet HEC. I bought it because it was Bad-TRIBBLE and there was no other ship like it.
    2. I do not find it at all "squishy" because I have a more eng/sci heavy build that focuses on shield and hull regen and if that ever fails, just deploy secondary shields and cloak, then use FWC to keep doing damage. I also have the Mogai shield regen console, Plasmonic leach, and Elachi LB console +the 3 set consoles (6 uni consoles in all). I almost never die in ESTFs with these tactics and frequently finish 1st in CCE.
    3. the turn rate is fine if you're not using DHCs. I use fleet AP DBBs (4) and I do great. holds are also useful

Here's my build http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=falchionajma420_0

You bought this ship b/c it was bad? that makes no sense. I bought it because I thought ahead and picked a setup that takes advantage of these ships' many strengths
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ajma420 wrote: »
    You bought this ship b/c it was bad? that makes no sense. I bought it because I thought ahead and picked a setup that takes advantage of these ships' many strengths

If you read OPs post carefully, you'll see that he doesn't own it.

"but when they released it, i didn't bought it". Ignoring the bad grammar and punctuation, you can very clearly see OP doesn't own one.

So he's basically talking out his rear end.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you read OPs post carefully, you'll see that he doesn't own it.

"but when they released it, i didn't bought it". Ignoring the bad grammar and punctuation, you can very clearly see OP doesn't own one.

So he's basically talking out his rear end.

ah yea that was confusing. so he's just trolling

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I know I won't be. I tend to buy it once I get to level 50. And after I buy 2 other Romulan ships first. It was the last on my list for now.

I didn't create a Romulan just to use the ship or any of the other ships. I wanted to be Romulan cause I thought it would be fun and have a different side of the story. Which both has meet what I wanted in the character. And proved to be very enjoyable fun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2013
    2 set console bonus, 2 Remans with infiltrator, and you can permanently keep it at around 30 turnrate. All without a single RCS console in sight. So what other Dreadnaught class ship in STO does that? Its simply the best ship in its class. I dont even fly it like a cruiser I fly it like a vet ship or other destroyer class ship. Put a Sci captain in the tac Scimitar and its a monster on decloak alphas as well.

Also odd thing I have noticed, you tend to get more heals in pugs with this ship when tanking. I think its the impression of if you get threat in one your gonna keep threat. When in reality the treat is a bit more bouncy with all the cloaking.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I still dont see what people have against these ships, yes to begin with it was a bit glitchy but now its a fine ship, and I have been saying right from the begening, its a ship that needs to be used correctly, rather than trying to make it fit with the current ship catagories, I find this ship is much more of a hybrid ship, its got some carrier capacity, some tank abilities and some dps abilities, it will never be excellent at either one of these but it does a cracking job at being great at all three, the ship also gives alot of build flexibility, I run one with a shed load of fleet equipment onboard.

Actually it is an absolutely brutal Damage Dealing Machine. What it is most "like" is a B'Rel Retro that went to the Gym for several years, took the best steroids, and then got some cybernetic enhancements to boot. If you play it a bit more hit-and-run cloak & dagger you will find it does not die and it dishes out such mind numbing death that it is hard to compare ANYTHING to it.

baudl wrote: »

Cloak Barrage and Shields while Cloaking not to mention a turn rate bonus... Are you kidding me? The Thalaron blast is just icing on the cake but what those three consoles give you otherwise is very very nice.

eldritchx wrote: »

If you intend to tank... Which you do not have to considering how fast things in your forward arc should be vaporized if you can really fly this monster and its cloak.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Actually it is an absolutely brutal Damage Dealing Machine. What it is most "like" is a B'Rel Retro that went to the Gym for several years, took the best steroids, and then got some cybernetic enhancements to boot. If you play it a bit more hit-and-run cloak & dagger you will find it does not die and it dishes out such mind numbing death that it is hard to compare ANYTHING to it.

hmmm. interesting analogy. However, you should note that the scimitar is several weight classes above the B'rel. lol

btw. you are absolutely right. I cloak all the time and the scimitar can do a serious mob melting alpha strike: (APO3, APA3, TT1, BO2, THY3, weapon battery, Aux2Bat, need I go on?)

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Scimitar does not need armor.

The Scimitar wants to melt things in front of it, then disappear.

Play it like that, and you are doing okay with what this ship, along with other Warbirds, are made for.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited September 2013

why you bought it ?

okay first you love the ship but you didn't buy it that's okay I spose but you wacked your self in the head there , next you expect a ship that size to have a good turn rate okay not sure what you were expecting but if you equip it well it will have decent turn on any toon, I would say that on my tac it gets the best turn rate out of all of my Roms but that just because I have the better gear with her ATM, and lastly it is not the worst ship in the game and since you do not have it as you so mention you can not judge it now can you so until you do get it don't say its the worst ship in the game till you try it.

I love my Scimitars on all my rom toons it works well on all but I do want a "true" sci ship for my science characters so that I can finally say I have a decent all around set of ships for all my Romulans.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Quoted for truth.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Play it like that, and you are doing okay with what this ship, along with other Warbirds, are made for.

Mhm... This is exactly what has been said over and over in dozens of threads commenting on the scimitar being squishy. It's a hit and fade ship (at least the tac version is). My decloaking alphas with BAs were hell to deal with. Then I decided to troll with turrets. Still melted things. I went more serious and did single cannons. Things died. Then I tried DHCs and immediately went back to single cannons. TOO MUCH POWA!!!! Still testing a DBB build. Will post results later.

End result:

Try to fly it like a dreadnought, you will die. Fly it like an overgrown BoP, you will get kills and hatred and lots of subnukes, elachi consoles... basically you'll get all the attention and STILL not die.
  • Options
    asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited September 2013

This may be true of the Scimitar.

The Falchion, however, can easily tank.
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • Options
    edited September 2013

^ this is true

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Let's be honest now.

People bought the Scimitar to vaporize stuff in front of them, not take punches. If you wanted to tank, there's better Warbirds for that, and are not compromised by a Cmdr TAC station.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ajma420 wrote: »
    hmmm. interesting analogy. However, you should note that the scimitar is several weight classes above the B'rel. lol

btw. you are absolutely right. I cloak all the time and the scimitar can do a serious mob melting alpha strike: (APO3, APA3, TT1, BO2, THY3, weapon battery, Aux2Bat, need I go on?)

Of course it is, that is what happens when you bulk up so hard that you go from a full out Nerd to a full fledged T- 800.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Let's be honest now.

People bought the Scimitar to vaporize stuff in front of them, not take punches. If you wanted to tank, there's better Warbirds for that, and are not compromised by a Cmdr TAC station.

Cmdr Tac station + 5 tactical consoles + Shield Absorbtive Frequency Generator

Now your Scimitar tanks better than your Falchion, or whatever else.