test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Master Foundry Bug List

thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
So the Foundry has a lot of bugs. A LOT of bugs. Many of which go back as far as the Foundry itself. I feel it's a little too easy for bugs to slip through the cracks. So I'm going to try and keep a record of what bugs are currently know to still be present. I know it's going to be long, but if it's worth the devs taking time to fix, then it's worth us taking time to document. When bugs get fixed, it'll also serve to list bugs that have gotten fixed.

I of course can't do this alone. If you have a bug that isn't on the list, post it below. The only condition is that it needs to be specific. "A bunch of assets are broken" isn't helpful, but "The pivot point for Cave Wall 06, 07 and 09 is not centered" is. Also, whenever possible, list out reproduction steps. This is vital for Cryptic to diagnose what is going wrong. Just because you see a bug is obvious to you, doesn't me it's obvious for them.

I'll try and groups related bugs such as objects with texture errors. I'll be following up if I need more specifics. I don't know if this will work or if any of these will get fixed, but it's best if it's not because we didn't try.

Red = Critical Bugs (Bugs that are very publicly visible or cause severe problems for a multitude of authors.)
Yellow = Higher Priority Bugs (Bugs that cause widespread issues, but aren't as obvious as critical bugs.)
Grey = Bug needs to be verified to be still present.

Bugs

• The Top 3 system does not display any missions on any star system.
  • Space lighting appears flat under Lighting 2.0. Only the ambient light is shown regardless of backdrop used or sun settings.
  • For interior maps, only baked assets cast light. Any light placed as an asset will not cast light, even under lighting 2.0.
  • While previewing a mission in the editor, all attempts to transfer maps fail.
  • The mission rating and star value is missing on the project selection screen
  • Ship Contacts cannot be selected as contacts in dialog boxes
  • Custom sun lighting on space maps has no effect**
  • The following NPC animations either don't follow their descriptions or fail to do anything. (This list needs to be updated.)
    • Draw weapon
    • Gloat
    • Hold Tricorder (both versions)
    • Sit - Captain Slow
    • Stand - Rifle
    • Stand - shotgun idle
    • Stand - shotgun ready
    • Talk- Gesturing
    • Undine - Idle look around (Tested on an Undine Ensign)
  • All Mood animations fail to show any facial expression in both dialog boxes and when applied to NPCs directly
  • Occasionally objects previewed in the right asset pane will show up in other asset previews widows as well as dialog boxes showing characters while previewing a map
  • Selecting a costume from the Project Maps tab for a dialog box fails to apply
  • Scroll wheel zoom doesn't work when hovering over a dialog box in the dialog editor. In larger dialog trees, this can be a huge inconvenience.
  • Assets listed in the map asset list (left pane) will not sort alphabetically until their name has been changed from their default name
  • When directly previewing a space map, one or more of the players bridge officers will spawn at the center of the map and fall repeatedly
  • Dialog Prompt Reached triggers fail to work properly if no objective has been placed on the map
  • Occasionally certain space NPCs will jump to coordinates (0, 0, 0)
  • A Component Complete will always trigger after a dialogue box, if it is selected as one of the trigger targets, even if there are multiple other targets which have not been completed yet. (Repo Steps)
  • When previewing a mission, if God Mode is already selected from a previous preview, it will fail to prevent the player's death until it it deselected and reselected.

Features Removed Because of Bugs (And Have Yet to be Returned)

• Costume Import Export
  • Dialog with Object
  • The console command "/ugc_freecam 1" no longer functions.
  • In the Foundry mission list, Top Rated search window only shows first 50 missions. (This used to be much longer.)

Non-Bug Practicality Issues

• When a player stops a mission party way through, they must go through completed versions of every map to get to the place they left off
  • Default dialog boxes lack a way to set the interact button text
  • The coordinate system was converted to meters but the snap to grid and sizes in the descriptions still use feet
  • Warp in animations loop instead of playing once
  • Beam Out animation ends with the NPC reappearing
  • Using multi-select to select an NPC group causes all NPC inside the group to be selected. This prevents the entire selected group from being copied or duplicated.
  • The following items are rooms, but the Foundry will attempt to push the player/NPCs out on spawn or when transitioning the object to visible
    • Transporter Room
    • Holodeck 01
  • Moving from a player map to a cryptic social map lacks any options to change the interaction dialog. (The default is of an Academy Cadet asking is you would like the go to the next map, which is very out of character.)
  • When map assets are listed for a map (i.e. when selecting the object for a Interact with Object objective) the list is sorter by object number, not alphabetically (This makes finding objects via the list difficult)
  • Using copy and paste to copy objects will reset the Y value of the selected object to 0. Duplicating will preserve the Y value.

Asset Errors

• Maps based on the older Klingon Great Hall have major geometry disappear on lower graphics settings (Pic)
      • Qo'Nos Great Hall Interior
      • Qo'Nos Great Hall Under Attack
    • Colony building icons do not show on the map (Part of it shows up. mostly the tarp/overhang things.)
    • Some ship costumes fail to display any geometry
      • Any that still do this?
    • Mirror Universe NPC groups either use the beam out animation instead of the beam in animation or just fade in
    • Transporter Room asset will cause objects on pre-made maps to disappear
    • Some devices have pivot points well outside their geometry
      • Device - Borg Space 01
      • Door - Klingon 01
    • Several of the pre-placed assets in Moon Clearing map hover above the ground
    • Several of the Night - Exterior backdrops have transparent moons (need to add list)
    • Consoles that support the Job behavior for NPCs no longer show the icon representing this (This makes it impossible to tell which console support this feature)
    • The following assets had no visual representation in the 2D editor (this list needs to be updated)
      • Forcefield - Broken 01
      • Forcefield - Horizontal 01
    • A number of space backdrops have clipping issues
    • Several of the plasma fire effects have switched from green to red
      • Plasma Leak Green 01
      • Plasma Fire 01
    • Pool Cue Stick 01 description states it is laying flat, but it is actually standing up

Labeling Issues

• Ship Costumes
      • Are there any remaining?
    • Emotes
      • Tricorder emotes for both Federation and KDF are both labeled Tricorder making it difficult to tell the difference
    Post edited by thegreendragoon1 on

Comments

• thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Fixed Issues

• Certain costume options only appear if they have been unlocked ingame
      • Preview load times multiply greatly when adding a an object or editing a costume
      • Many of the detail objects appear white in the map editor.
      • A couple of interior maps have had their space cut in half causing part of the map to be inaccessable
        • Ice Caves Interior 03
      edited August 2013
      Reserved because I really don't know how long this will get.
    • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      I'll add to your list as I come across stuff.

1. Colony building icons do not show on the map
      2. NPCs disappear from preview if set to wander or jobs (especially on platforms in the sky)
      3. X, Y, and Z boxes don't say X, Y, or Z.
      4. Combat testing in preview mode is deceptive and unreliable.

There are so many that I'll have to just add to the list as I find them.

edit:

5. No way to change interact text on default object dialogs.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      kirksplat wrote: »
      I'll add to your list as I come across stuff.

1. Colony building icons do not show on the map
      2. NPCs disappear from preview if set to wander or jobs (especially on platforms in the sky)

#1: PART of it shows up. mostly the tarp/overhang things.

Definately needs work.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      i had some crash to desktop problems when creating a new space character, the issues came up when i selected some of the new(er) costumes, these are the ones that CTD'd me

-Elachi Battleship Drone
      -Kamarag class
      -(one of the skins) Luna class

At first i thought it was a coincidence , but after multiple crashes under the same conditions trying to load the ship it was pretty obvious that this was the cause

I'm also pretty sure that this will happen with many other classes of ship, but i'm sure as hell not going through all of them, though i thought perhaps a warning list of potentially crash causing ships may be helpful to authors
      solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
      edited August 2013
      I noticed when tinkering a few days ago that some of the new editable ship costumes are blank boxes in the preview mode.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      edited August 2013
      Okay, I've updated the list. This is good stuff. I know of a few more bugs but need to go quantify them befrore I put them on. Also, if anyone sees a bug on the list that gets fixed, let me know.

edit:

5. No way to change interact text on default object dialogs.

On #3, is this in the editor? In the properties bar? (Not in Foundry at the moment to check)

#4 Can you give more specific details on what is deceptive and unreliable?

Actually 5 was already on the list. :D
      adverbero wrote: »
      At first i thought it was a coincidence , but after multiple crashes under the same conditions trying to load the ship it was pretty obvious that this was the cause

I'm also pretty sure that this will happen with many other classes of ship, but i'm sure as hell not going through all of them, though i thought perhaps a warning list of potentially crash causing ships may be helpful to authors

Yeah, this seems to occur when a costume is added to the Foundry but the geo isn't properly hooked up. If you can give me the names of any other assets that are causing crashes, I'll add them. :)
      I noticed when tinkering a few days ago that some of the new editable ship costumes are blank boxes in the preview mode.

Can you give me any specific ships that are doing this, Mark?
    • swordbearer13swordbearer13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Heck, I can't even create ANY ground character entry under the Costume tab. I hit Create Costume, give it any name, leave the Type on "Ground Character", and click Create.

BOOM! Crash to desktop.

For some reason, I can add Space costumes just fine so far.

Very frustrating.
      edited August 2013

On #3, is this in the editor? In the properties bar? (Not in Foundry at the moment to check)

#4 Can you give more specific details on what is deceptive and unreliable?

Nvm #3. I just checked and they are back.

#4 Testing with my foundry toon results in incredibly easy combat. The play experience completely changes post-publish. So do mob behaviors. They still seem to disappearing or relocating to a different part of the map.

New #5. Object dimensions do not match coordinate dimensions. This makes object dimensions mostly pointless. It was not always so. When the Foundry launched the object descriptive dimensions in the preview screen, matched the size in the XYZ. So, if something was 4 high, then placing a second one at 4 Y would put it directly on top. Now we have to convert meters to feet or vice versa.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
      edited August 2013
      Heck, I can't even create ANY ground character entry under the Costume tab. I hit Create Costume, give it any name, leave the Type on "Ground Character", and click Create.

BOOM! Crash to desktop.

For some reason, I can add Space costumes just fine so far.

Very frustrating.

Are you getting any error messages when this happens? Is the error tracker appearing?

Does this still happen if you relog?

Is this happening in only one project or is it in any project?
      STO QA Team
      edited August 2013
      New #5. Object dimensions do not match coordinate dimensions. This makes object dimensions mostly pointless. It was not always so. When the Foundry launched the object descriptive dimensions in the preview screen, matched the size in the XYZ. So, if something was 4 high, then placing a second one at 4 Y would put it directly on top. Now we have to convert meters to feet or vice versa.

The coordinate system got converted to meters but the sizes in the descriptions still use feet, correct?

I apologize for the twenty questions, but I trying to document it as accurately as possible.
      edited August 2013
      The coordinate system got converted to meters but the sizes in the descriptions still use feet, correct?

I apologize for the twenty questions, but I trying to document it as accurately as possible.

I always have difficultly with the details of this, but things got screwed up. Not sure if it's meters to feet or vice versa.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • swordbearer13swordbearer13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Are you getting any error messages when this happens? Is the error tracker appearing?

Does this still happen if you relog?

Is this happening in only one project or is it in any project?

No messages, but the error tracker DOES appear. I may see if I can find the log file and get more details.

Yes it keeps happening time after time.

I'm about to start a different project, just to see if it improves...

AND sure enough, with a blank project it doesn't crash. Created a new project, gave it start point and a map with an objective. Saved the project, tried to add a Ground Character on the Costumes tab, and...it worked.

I'll have to investigate the other project to see if I can fix it.
      edited August 2013
      I always have difficultly with the details of this, but things got screwed up. Not sure if it's meters to feet or vice versa.
      In Season 3, everything in the Foundry was measured in feet. Listed object dimensions were also in feet.

I forget which season, but during one of the season updates I think it was either 4 or 5, the foundry coordinate system was changed to use meters.

Personally I suspect that the game actually stores coordinates in feet. It sometimes "rounds" whole numbers of meters to 3 decimal places....
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      edited August 2013
      No messages, but the error tracker DOES appear. I may see if I can find the log file and get more details.

Yes it keeps happening time after time.

I'm about to start a different project, just to see if it improves...

AND sure enough, with a blank project it doesn't crash. Created a new project, gave it start point and a map with an objective. Saved the project, tried to add a Ground Character on the Costumes tab, and...it worked.

I'll have to investigate the other project to see if I can fix it.

When the Error Tracker appears, there should be a number displayed below the white box where it asks you to enter what was happening at the time of the crash. If you can get me that number, I can see if this is a new issue or if it's one that's being tracked and worked on.
      STO QA Team
    • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      All the Federation ship costumes have weird numbers in place of their name and registry.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
    • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      All the Federation ship costumes have weird numbers in place of their name and registry.

i noticed this a while back, its quite irritating
      solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
      edited August 2013
      Can you give me any specific ships that are doing this, Mark?
      "Ask and ye shall receive." Not necessarily immediately though.

Here's a partial list:
      Andorian Charal
      the second Bortasqu battleship entry
      Draguas Fleet science vessel
      the fourth Elachi battleship entry
      clicking on the Elachi battleship drone item caused a crash

EDIT: here's more:
      Elachi drone
      Elachi Frigate
      Elachi Shuttle
      the first Galaxy X entry
      Odyseey class cruiser [sic] is only the saucer section
      The first Odyssey class cruiser entry is the rest fo the ship
      the fourth Odyssey class cruiser entry has the Saucer and hull seperated
      phalanx fleet science vessel
      Romulan Drone
      Scimitar Type
      Vesta Class
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Asset Errors

1. A couple of interior maps have had their space cut in half causing part of the map to be inaccessable
        - Ice Caves Interior 03

Briar Patch Research Interior also has its size reduced significantly.
      stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
      Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
      My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
      edited August 2013
      Asset errors:

Moon Clearing has a few spots where the rocks are not connected to the ground and a player can look up through the non-textured part.

The moons in several ground map sky backdrops are transparent. These are two or three of the Night - Exterior backdrops.

Barge of the Dead map is a boat on an ocean. It is labeled as an interior, so we can't add buildings.

There are several non-building props in the buildings tab, such as a bench and a vase.

Starburst FX 01 creates a crazy looping airplane sound that never goes away.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      edited August 2013
      The Romulan starship costumes can't be equipped with the Reman hull materials or the timeship ones. We're also missing the D'deridex, Dhael, and Valdore costumes.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
      -Thomas Marrone
      edited September 2013
      Okay, I think I'm caught up. Keep them coming. Also I've added a new section for features that were pulled due to bugs but never removed. I don't consider pulling a feature to be fixing it.

Is this just in the costume editor or is this also in the preview? I thought I had heard at one point the printed ship name started adopting the NPC name.
      Odyseey class cruiser [sic] is only the saucer section
      The first Odyssey class cruiser entry is the rest fo the ship
      the fourth Odyssey class cruiser entry has the Saucer and hull seperated

With these, Mark is the issure that they are only showing these pieces, or that they are showing as white boxes?

I feel like there are still some bugs that are missing, like the kind of things you get so used to you almost forget they're there. So I'm going to post a couple thoughts and see if anyone can help me narrow things down.

1. We got a number of NPC behaviors that seem to be lacking options, at least in comparison to the legacy options. (Now that I think about it, I don't think the chat text is suppose to repeate like that.

2. While the lack of pathing is to be expected in preview, are there any other instances odd behavior in preview? (Are there still any instances of disappearing NPCs in preview?)

3. Can you think of any items/options in the Foundry that don't do anything or are avoided because they don't function properly?
    • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      I think it's still a bug that you can't select space contacts to serve as the focus of a dialogue box. Please correct me if that has been fixed.
      edited September 2013
      Is this just in the costume editor or is this also in the preview? I thought I had heard at one point the printed ship name started adopting the NPC name.

It was affecting preview as well last I checked ... I haven't used a custom space costume in quite a while.
      NJ9oXSO.png
      -Thomas Marrone
      edited September 2013
      nagorak wrote: »
      I think it's still a bug that you can't select space contacts to serve as the focus of a dialogue box. Please correct me if that has been fixed.

Not that I'm aware of. Adding to the list.
      It was affecting preview as well last I checked ... I haven't used a custom space costume in quite a while.

I'll double check this one tonight. It may be that this is already fixed.
      edited September 2013
      Just wanted to thank everyone for input on this. I am watching this thread to make sure everything you've reported is documented.
      STO QA Team
      edited September 2013
      Just wanted to thank everyone for input on this. I am watching this thread to make sure everything you've reported is documented.

I know we all want the same thing, so anything we can do to get closer to that goal. :)
      edited September 2013
      Using multi-select to copy and paste a set of objects at different y values places a new version at an entirely different y value. If on an interior, it can often smash them together since the interior has a limited amount of space under the floor.

The joys of cntl c + cntl v:

cntl c, cntl v never copies the y value, although copy->paste in the menu does.

Often, I lose the ability to cntl c, cntl v a npc group. It stops responding and copies the previous object instead of the npc group. Cerberus told me to use copy and paste in the menu when this happens, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jobs: The Foundry used to tell us which consoles could be used with jobs. The addition of the 3d preview icons took that functionality away. At the very least, it would be nice to have a list of which consoles work with jobs. It would be better if the assets had some kind of indication, like (works with jobs) in the item description.

Asset: There is clipping on the top of several borg buildings.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      edited September 2013
      With these, Mark is the issure that they are only showing these pieces,
      Yes. sorry for being unclear earlier.
      or that they are showing as white boxes?
      Actually, the ones that aren't displaying do not appear at all. I haven't tried using them but what I see in preview has no geometry of any kind, and no customization options.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      edited September 2013
      Using multi-select to copy and paste a set of objects at different y values places a new version at an entirely different y value. If on an interior, it can often smash them together since the interior has a limited amount of space under the floor.

The joys of cntl c + cntl v:

cntl c, cntl v never copies the y value, although copy->paste in the menu does.

Just to confirm, the menu bar copy paste does not have this bug, correct? Also does anyone know if the right click menu has this issue?
      Often, I lose the ability to cntl c, cntl v a npc group. It stops responding and copies the previous object instead of the npc group. Cerberus told me to use copy and paste in the menu when this happens, but I haven't tried it yet.

Did you only have the group selected, or did you have all the individual NPCs inside selected? Those individual NPCs are not allowed to be duplicated. Still this does throw a monkey wrench into multiselect copying, so I think it's worth a not working as intended.
      Asset: There is clipping on the top of several borg buildings.

If possible, can you take a look and get the specific names of the buildings that are doing this?
      Yes. sorry for being unclear earlier.

So I take it the ideal solution here is that these would be labeled differently to differentiate between them. Also you said that one version included both sections separated? How does that work?

Hmm, it might be worth making a new section for labeling issues. Semes like there are a few of them. (Tricorder animations, Sela, Hakeev)

Notes to Self:
      Look up transporter room asset name so I can add visregion issue.
      Holodeck and Transporter Room push-out issue.
    This discussion has been closed.