test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

High ranking boff's in a lower rank slot needs more flexibility

shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
It's a bit redundant to think that a commander slotted in an ensign slot should perform as poorly as an ensign.
To maybe add a slight flexibility for being higher rank and more experienced for say, they should be allowed to pick a skill from any of their rank skill sets just at a dumbed down level.
For example let's say you slot a commander science officer into an ensign science slot, than that commander should be able to pick a skill to be used from ensign-commander like viral matrix only it would be a weak version of VM1.
Or possibly remake all skills to be 1-4 versions allowing them to be used by any rank just becoming better versions of themselves as they progressively get higher in number.
I know people are going to say this will make for an OP ship build, and seeing how we are already OP to begin with it doesn't affect much in a sense, nor would this affect limitations on boff slots for say.
As it sits right now it makes a commander boff look dumber than an ensign since the widest array of skills are ensign-Lt.Cmndr.
tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So basically, you want to pick which skill to use when slotting a higher rank Boff into a lower rank slot,... yeah, that wont be abused or get out of hand at all,...

Ships have certain Boff seating for a reason,... An ensign level Boff slot, uses Ensign level powers,... period.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    picture it like this. it is a station whit limited capabilities, that simple put can't muster any thing more advanced then what lower skills are. simple as that.
    it doesn't mater how smart or advanced you are ZX Spectrum will never be able to do what Intel core I7, if you get my drift.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hm... That could be interesting.

Say, for example, you've got a Commander level GW 3 that does 1,500 dmg/sec. If you throw that guy into an Ensign slot and choose to use his GW 3, maybe it could only do 300 dmg/sec or something with a reduced Repel value, but you'd still have something.

There would be issues, though, since everyone and their mother could now run an Attack Pattern: Omega.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    And yet Ensign slots are already very competitive, with the likes of TT, EptX and HE around. Leave Commander powers to Commander slots, like they were designed.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    perhaps instead you could grant some kind of experience bonus based on rank of BOFF?

Maybe enable them to keep the ensign powers active for just a few more seconds?
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    praxi5 wrote: »
    There would be issues, though, since everyone and their mother could now run an Attack Pattern: Omega.

If everyone could do it, why exactly would it result in issues?
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    If everyone could do it, why exactly would it result in issues?

it would render the movement debuff skills pretty useless, for PvP and PvE
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What would really help would be if ALL ens stations (on ALL ships) were universal. There'd be less stacking of redundant and useless abilities.
  • Options
    captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have actually suggested this before, but what they should do is do away with rank when it comes to bridge officer stations.

Just like on the ground, bridge officers should be able to use all of the abilities available to them in space limited by their rank, not the rank of the console they are sitting at.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This game already has massive power creep. Why would we need to add more? The end gear already makes it possible to obliterate anything you would face in the game.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I find the argument that all our boffs get to be CMDR level eventually as a reason for them to be able to slot any boff power dubious since in a "real" ship not all bridge officers to get CMDR level.

HOWEVER!!!

The idea of allowing all boff powers to exist in all tiers (BO1 to BO4, APO1 to APO4, GW1 to GW4, EPtS1 to EPtS4, etc) to be a FANTASTIC idea! It would add a lot of flexibility to older ships as well make setups less cookie cutter.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    praxi5 wrote: »

They could easily make this ultra low level APO not have the movement debuff immunity.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,610 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I find the argument that all our boffs get to be CMDR level eventually as a reason for them to be able to slot any boff power dubious since in a "real" ship not all bridge officers to get CMDR level.

HOWEVER!!!

The idea of allowing all boff powers to exist in all tiers (BO1 to BO4, APO1 to APO4, GW1 to GW4, EPtS1 to EPtS4, etc) to be a FANTASTIC idea! It would add a lot of flexibility to older ships as well make setups less cookie cutter.

would make it interesting to have SRF or CSV ens slotted.. would breathe new life into a certain Science ship...
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have actually suggested this before, but what they should do is do away with rank when it comes to bridge officer stations.

Just like on the ground, bridge officers should be able to use all of the abilities available to them in space limited by their rank, not the rank of the console they are sitting at.

This is the idea I would support.
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I could get behind having levels 1 through 4 for all powers,... Each power would have a base effectiveness, and then scale up as it increased from 1 to 4,... maybe even Uni Ensign stations across the board,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think this is a very bad idea.

The game as broken as it is, is balanced around the idea of having certain powered abilities at certain ranks of Bridge Officer station.
    It would probably require a massive overhaul to do either of the suggestions made by the OP and would undoubtedly lead to further power creep and simultaneously making certain ships and ship build ideas redundant at the same time.

Even a low level Viral Matrix, properly specced could have a lot of power in terms of raw disable effect and this would be available on every ship from the Miranda to Fleet Intrepid. With the fleet intrepid able to carry a large number of them, where most science builds are limited to 2 at most. This could be disastrous in both PvP and PvE when used in tandem with P2W consoles such as AMS which make high level science powers available to any ship.

Game balance being broken as it is, shouldn't really be used as an excuse to break it further.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well some have agreed and some have disagreed, also some new and interesting ideas have been proposed and look good. Now if only we can get the dev's attention into implementing some change to how boff ranks should have some actual useful effect on skills, and not just simply the limitations for which they are given currently. TY to all for your comments (minus any trolls of course for which I at this time of post didn't see any) :)
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Personally I would prefer to have the appropriate ensign or Lt. in an ensign or Lt. bridge slot. But, there's no reason not to run with the maximum number of ground abilities. A bridge full of Commanders it is. :rolleyes: