test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Personal STO story, and a thank you to everyone

grimus99grimus99 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Hello all,

Originally I wanted to reach out to the devs and share my story and how much there work has helped me in more ways then I could describe, but I figured if I did it this way someone would be able to relate and share there story as well. So some basic back sotry. About a year and a half ago I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury at work. It was a simple accident but has changed so much.

I have been a on and off player since launch, and been pretty constant since free to play, but still somewhat a casual player. After my injury I started to have some serious side effects. Short term memory loss, Comprehension troubles, loss of words, severe depression, anxiety/panic attacks, and suicidal tendencies.

So that's enough of the sob story history. Here's is why I am really writing. After a few months, many Doctors, tests and even a hospital stay I started to train myself how to survive. And that's how Star Trek Online comes to play. I started to play a lot after those few months. And started noticing that I was able to communicate a little easier after playing. My memory had improved a little bit, as long with comprehension and my demeanor and attitude was a little less meaner.

By playing STO I was rebuilding my brain a little bit at a time. And to this day I play for every 2 to 3 hours in the morning. I wake up a zombie unable to do very much, and after my usual STO retinue I come out less of a train wreck and able to take care of my kids and am now a stay at home dad who is fairly happy. Now is it all due to Cryptic and the hard work everyone does....no not at all. But the game has helped me so much and to that I owe a debt of gratitude.

And even better, throughout this time I have made very good friends who make fun of me when I TRIBBLE up words, or forget someone's name, and I know there not being mean but helping me along. I have even met someone I consider a friend who has walked a path similar to mine.

So that's enough of boring you. I could go into great detail and bore you guys even more, vut I won't. If someone wants to ask questions my handle is nexus@smag99 shoot me a mail or pm and I would love to talk to you.

And to the Devs, thank you very much. All your hard work and dedication has helped and will continue to help.
Post edited by grimus99 on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am glad to hear the game, and the mental activity of playing the game, is helping you deal with your difficulties. It's amazing what a little positive reinforcement each day can do for us all! Keep on playing and keep on getting better!
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2013
    Your story has made my cry and sob.... It is great to see and know that to the rest of us normal players, who might think of STO or Games as a normal or random thing, can mean the world to others... and like thecosmic1 mention (ima still your words) we are happy to see fellow player enjoy the game even on it's down aspects.. it its meant to be fun and a loving place.. as for you grimus99... Keep on STOing!!! so you get better and well more sooner than ever!!!!!! You'll always have a home both in life and here with the community here in STO!!!!

"Resistance is not futile" :)
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pure awesomeness. It's great to see that 47 years later, Star Trek is still improving lives and bringing people together :D
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've run across quite a few people in STO that have some sort of disability, and it is obvious that playing the game helps them in many different ways.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    MMO's and video gameplay has been found therapeutic for mental health issues , especially depession, attention deficit, PTSD, bipolar disorders and suicidal tendencies, etc. I would site articles, documentaries and medical journals, but that wasnt my intention at the time when I discovered the news, so you'll have to do your own if you want more.

I do believe it wholeheartedly though.

unlike medication ( except weed, I am a firm believer in the psychologically therapeutic abilities of cannibus ), it focuses your attention, and clears your thoughts of the current situation that is disturbing without side effects taht are physically harmful, discomforting or painful.

is it a crutch? dunno.

is gameplay as addictive as pharmaceuticals ? dunno that either, but I tend to hope not.

can it cause other problems, or become a dam that is ready to burst so to speak ?...again I have no clue.

is it an open door to suggestion via media manipulation? kinda Orwellian, I highly doubt video games will ever be intended for that purpose, perhaps entertainment venues via media channels....but again another thing to ponder about how our future is heading.

but one thing I do know.... games make it easier to get up in the morning more often than not.

Not just STO...but any game that can be construed as a hobby interest.

this phenomenon will be interesting to see what comes of it as the years go by.

thanks for the thread OP...this may be the best discussion this forum will have. Subscribing... ;)
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Good on ya, Mate! Well done! How very nice to pop in and see something so positive and uplifting like this. Thanks for sharing and I appreciate you making my week end on a high note.

@ the Mods. Could we maybe sticky this one? Please? Positive stories about video/MMO/PC games are far too rare these days and this one certainly qualifies as a positive story.

@pwe/cryptic. I think you ought to be shouting to everyone in earshot about this one. It's a big deal that your MMO helped out someone in this manner. And hang the expense. Good publicity which falls in your lap like this should be utilized. Even after all this time, the mainstream media will latch onto and promote only the more negative aspects of gaming. Good opportunity here to rub their noses in it. Be a shame to take a pass.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey!

I am sorry for what happened to you, but glad you are getting better.
    Keep it up and don't you ever let yourself "let go" or become frustrated. As Worf would say (I think it was Worf), the challenge of the warrior is within!
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    :::Bump!:::

C'mon people! The OP's story is a really great one! Please help keep this one up top.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    MMO's and video gameplay has been found therapeutic for mental health issues , especially depession, attention deficit, PTSD, bipolar disorders and suicidal tendencies, etc. I would site articles, documentaries and medical journals, but that wasnt my intention at the time when I discovered the news, so you'll have to do your own if you want more.

Unless you are playing the Romulan "Mind Games" or the Chapter 2 Imperial Agent in SWTOR.

Both well written, both involving very mature subject matter.. but both need warnings FFS.

Next stop, Trigger City.

:(
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I am glad the spirit of this post has not been missed. There has been a lot of research into games for medical use. There are finding especially in soldiers coming back that games are a valuable resource for rehabbing injuries. There are sites for injuries such as mine like luminosity, but let's face it STO is much better. I also made a mistake in my handle. If you would like to contact me it's nexus@smagg99. I forgot a g lol.

Once again thank you for the kind words, and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
  • Options
    jahkejahke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    OK... OP, Nexxie Wexxie, whichever you prefer..

Good to see you on here bro, and taking such a courageous leap for others sake. Class Act.

I don't really know that there's anything I need to say that hasn't already been said but I'm d*mn well gonna get ya a bump. As far as this alleged "person" you met... I dunno what you're talkin about. Are you sure it wasn't one of them there hologram thingies?? :P

I bet you didn't expect to check back here and see that folks were actually readin your story and bein affected by it. So proud of ya mon, good work!

Having grown up watchin TOS w/my old man, STO has always been a part of life and has always represented the better parts of existence. It taught us that ALL adversity CAN be overcome and ALL problems HAVE a solution. Being in this world is an incredibly significant reminder of those lessons and helps to keep them in the forefront of our minds, and of our lives and they very well may be the most important lessons ever.

Now stop it already, I'm gettin all misty..!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just a bump to give the devs a chance to see it if possible. After Tuesday I'll let it die :)
  • Options
    crimisicrimisi Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oddly, the exact opposite for me. I played STO from beta until sept 2012 left and came back then noticed every time I play it gives me a headache (a real one). STO also bothers my eyes even when force blinking.

I digress, I am glad this game helped :)

Veni Vidi Vici
    Confucius says "A Panda is most dangerous when Sad".
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    First of; it's really great to see that "only a game" can have so profound effect on someone like this. And Congrats for having the courage to post it on the forums!

I take my hat off for you, if I had one.

crimisi wrote: »
    Oddly, the exact opposite for me. I played STO from beta until sept 2012 left and came back then noticed every time I play it gives me a headache (a real one). STO also bothers my eyes even when force blinking.

I digress, I am glad this game helped :)

This sounds more or less a problem with either the brightness/contrast or the refreshreate being the cause of your headaches (I've migraines myself, so I can relate somewhat).
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Good to hear you are doing better.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just bumping so the devs have a chance to see this Tuesday :)
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Visiting my mother-in-law in the nursing home tonight, I saw a poster that said in part, this:

"Turns out [computer] games might have some hidden benefits for mature players.... Those who played games for at least 10 hours a year reversed the effects of aging on the brain by three years. Those who played 14 hours did even better, rejuvenating their brains by four years."

I'm going to have to question this, because I should be a f*ing genius by now.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1. Most people would say you lose brain cells playing MMOs...
    2. Memory loss sounds like just the ticket for Grind Trek Online...
    3. Wish I could convince my family that playing online was therapeutic...
    Those were the first 3 things that popped in my head. :D Glad to hear you're getting better. Don't worry about forgetting names, I do that all the time and my brain is fine (supposedly).
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    "Turns out [computer] games might have some hidden benefits for mature players.... Those who played games for at least 10 hours a year reversed the effects of aging on the brain by three years. Those who played 14 hours did even better, rejuvenating their brains by four years."

I'm going to have to question this, because I should be a f*ing genius by now.

Or you've 'rejuvenated' to a toddler's brain by now...