What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gorn Should Have More Mettle Power

blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Credit to sander233, for the information:
sander233 wrote: »
As far as I can tell, the racial hierarchy of innate melee damage bonuses goes:

Ferasan (27.5%) \ Klingon (22.5%) \ Caitian = Orion (20%) \ Gorn (17.5%) \ Romulan = Vulcan = Nausicaan (15%) / +(-15%) everything else.

This is the straight melee or physical damage bonus either from the racial trait or access to the Physical Strength trait. Not counting knockback or expose/exploit or crit bonuses. Knockback chance is the same for Roms and Vulcans as it is for Gorn. (15%)

Let us put it this way, by These statuses, Gorn are near the weakest in mettle in the game... therefore it is un-canon and very muched nerfed. Why in the whole Galaxy would a Cat do more melle damage than a Gorn? Same with Klingons. It just CAN'T be! Not to mention all the other Gorn traits... not really the Best IMO... but that's no the point. We are talking about mettle here. And the fact is, you REALLY messed up here.

OOC

Gorn, Has ONLY Ground Racial Traits...

17.5% bonus to Melee Damage
15% chance to knock down the target of your melee attacks.
+5 Physical Damage Resistance Rating
+5 All Energy Damage Resistance Rating
+10 Plasma Damage Resistance Rating
+25 Fire Damage Resistance Rating

And in this case, almost all other races top them in almost ALL ways. BITE ISN'T EVEN A RACIAL GIVEN TRAIT! WHY DO WE NEED TO SLOT BITE IF WE HAVE TEETH ALL THE TIME!?!?!!? *sigh*

I know from previous posts, DEMANDING gets us no where, but REALLY... this is the reason WHY it needs to be fixed... and its simple.

Gorn ARE STRONG AND ARE BRUTES! AND ITS CANONICAL!

I Am NOT Saying Gorn Shoudl Be Able To Pick Up 2,000 lb Boulders... and Survive 8,000 LB boulders falling upon them from a few hundred feet above them, but they ARE nerfed. In My HONEST Opinion...

---- IMHO
(NOT part of My Point, Its Is My Honest Opinion)

Canonicaly... Gorn Are Very Strong IN Mettle... So... Why Not That Be Their Weapon Only?

Here is how I see it...
blagorm wrote: »
Hate saying this, but "true canon Wise" Gorn have no cassets. Only because 1 Gorn was seen in out of Star Trek That Is Considered Canon and thats Arena. Based on New Comments, Here is Now What I Think

When Out of Combat (For Sake of Time) Regular Speed, Sprint Available

Basic Status:

33.3%+ (Or More) PHYSICAL Damage

*Speed Set To Walking In Combat

Health: (VA) 3200+ (Depending, Might Need To be Higher or Lower On MY Thoughts)

Shields, Armour, & Energy Weapons Invalid

Weapons: Boulder, Special Gorn Claw Blades

(Think of a Hodch)

*Will Edit According To So

Empty Slot: Gorn Claws: Variant of Sweeping Strikes, More Powerful Than Regular Bare Hands, can 2.5% cause bleeding

KITS: Stay The Same, Tricorders, Fabrications, etc are still not "weapon" related, its carrer related. Therefore... its still good.

---- COMMENTS AND ADD ONS/TAKES ETC/ GREAT PEER IDEAS
I don't want that.

Last winter event, Ssharki was the fastest thing on ice. Using him to breeze by Caitians and Ferasans on the ice track with 2.6m of powersliding cold-blooded muscle was too wonderfully hilarious for me to ever give up.

How about this idea: An OPTIONAL trait, called Brute Force

* +15% to physical damage on top of the racial 17.5% melee damage bonus we have now.
* normal ground speed slows to walk speed, shift/sprint slows to normal speed.
* ability: boulder hurl (or whatever is handy on indoor maps)
* tailor/creator changes slider values for height to range from 2.5m - 4.0m and bulk base values are increased by 50%.

That way, if players want to turn their Gorn into a hulking, boulder-throwing, slow-moving brute, they may do so. For those of us who like are lizards more or less the way they are, we're set.

I still want that melee damage bonus in our racial trait converted back into physical damage though.
The source of the slow movements is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it was the writers that decided that (and your quote shows it was SCRIPTED that he be slow) or if it was a limitation of the suit.

All that matters is that the gorn WAS SLOW MOVING.

A gorn's melee tactics should involve efforts to grab and crush a foe, or knock them over and pile on (even a slow moving shoulder charge would likely knock a foe over - again, consider getting hit by a slow moving car).

Alternatively, a gorn would try to compensate for his slower movements by using area attacks (like big rocks).

Once again, their striking power would be minimal. Once they get hold of you, though, they should be doing a LOT of damage.
R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by blagorm on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You want them to have super-strength, super-knockback, and super-resistance; and I guess you want them to have that super-bite trait too? Then what are the downsides to being a Gorn? What I see above is more, more, more rather then balance of any type.

How you see it would appear to be biased by your love for Gorn. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    HENCE IMO :D...

Id just be okay with our Mettle Damage Raised to 30.0 %... maybe with some More Resistance.... and Knock-back.. ONLY because its canonical.
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Think... Gorn wont be able to have full Ground sets... (Fact I'm Golden with that :D.... shows how I feel)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Think... Gorn wont be able to have full Ground sets... (Fact I'm Golden with that :D.... shows how I feel)

How bout no
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So.. you are saying cats should be stronger than Gorn?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A Gorn would be way tougher than a cat, and hit like a truck, but...sluggish. So a Gorn would pwn a Ferasan at sheer feats of strength but in actual melee combat where speed and precision are important I don't think it's quite so clear cut. The thing is, Gorn doesn't really feel any different. Maybe they should get something like +33% melee damage at the cost of -33% melee attack speed.

However, "Bite" should remain a trait pick only because it is hands down the most powerful activated racial ability. It only has a 20 second cooldown and it does pretty horrifying damage (it's an Exploit attack plus DOT!) which means you can actually rely on it as a kind of tertiary weapon. It's worth the trait slot. Demoting it to a built-in racial feature would necessitate making it nearly worthless like the others.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You want them to have super-strength, super-knockback, and super-resistance; and I guess you want them to have that super-bite trait too? Then what are the downsides to being a Gorn? What I see above is more, more, more rather then balance of any type.

How you see it would appear to be biased by your love for Gorn. :)

Well, they can always be made to be sluggish in speed and agility like the Gorn captain Kirk fought.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd be fine with making Gorn stronger but more sluggish. The Gorn I'm working on right now is built to be more of a heavy assault on the ground. Miniguns and grenades all over the place, biting things that get too close. Making him stronger but more sluggish would fit just fine for me there.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, they can always be made to be sluggish in speed and agility like the Gorn captain Kirk fought.

Only if it's based on the Rematch
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    crabbycabbycrabbycabby Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    I'd be fine with making Gorn stronger but more sluggish. The Gorn I'm working on right now is built to be more of a heavy assault on the ground. Miniguns and grenades all over the place, biting things that get too close. Making him stronger but more sluggish would fit just fine for me there.

What he said, times 2!
    Proudly F2P
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Off topic somewhat, I'd think the gauntlet sword damage idea should be more for Nausicaans, cause their gauntlets have blades on them unlike the KDF's shiny one, which looks too wide for cutting, and Gorn's leather one (only having spikes, not blades).
  • Options
    superiorterransuperiorterran Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why in the whole Galaxy would a Cat do more melle damage than a Gorn?

Actually, if you adjust for mass, cats are stronger than lizards in sheer strength, in the real world at least. An alligator doesn't have the muscle to jump several feet high, a cat a fraction of it's size can, and so can bigger cats such as leapords.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So.. you are saying cats should be stronger than Gorn?

http://youtu.be/7_6lLyiEpNM?t=37s;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Who said reptiles have to be sluggish?

BTW, it should go without saying but DO NOT try this at home.

EDIT: As thecosmic1 said, the Gorn really have to be handicapped a little just to keep them balanced. And the everything else I was quoted on in the OP Do Not have +/- 15% melee bonus - if they did there wouldn't really be a bonus at all. What I actually said was:
    Ferasan (27.5%) > Klingon (22.5%) > Caitian = Orion (20%) > Gorn (17.5%) > Romulan = Vulcan = Nausicaan (15%) > everything else.
    So really it's only a select few species that have bonus melee/physical damage, of which the Gorn are the fifth strongest.

Also, the 20% bonus from the Caitian and Orion races and an equal amount from the Ferasans is a Physical Strength optional trait, which many captains choose to remove in favor of another space trait or something gives more ranged damage or healing on the ground. The Gorn actually have the 2nd-strongest racial melee bonus after the Klingons.

MY gripe, is that our damage bonus is ONLY melee damage, not physical like the others. (Physical damage also affects things like grenades, mortars, mines and sonic pulse in addition to melee.) Ssharki used to be a Quantum Mortar artist before the traits got revamped and physical damage was changed to just melee damage. I want physical damage back.

I won't say no to more melee damage, but I think we're balanced without it.

And I definitely don't want to be made any slower. Terrestrial reptiles are inherently very speedy in short bursts. Sixteen-foot (5m) alligators have been clocked at 30+ mph (~50kph) over short distances of about ten yards/meters. That's like racehorse speed.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Back when he was still around, Heretic told us that the Gorn we have playable are not from the military caste. That explains why they're not some kind of walking bunker, sliggish but basically indestructible in hand-to hand. So the stats are quite allright IMO because these are NOT the same Gorn as the captain from "Arena".
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hate saying this, but "true canon Wise" Gorn have no cassets. Only because 1 Gorn was seen in out of Star Trek That Is Considered Canon and thats Arena. Based on New Comments, Here is Now What I Think

Basic Status:

Weapons: Boulder, Special Gorn Claw Blades

(Think of a Hodch)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Who said reptiles have to be sluggish?

BTW, it should go without saying but DO NOT try this at home.

EDIT: As thecosmic1 said, the Gorn really have to be handicapped a little just to keep them balanced. And the everything else I was quoted on in the OP Do Not have +/- 15% melee bonus - if they did there wouldn't really be a bonus at all. What I actually said was:

So really it's only a select few species that have bonus melee/physical damage, of which the Gorn are the fifth strongest.

Also, the 20% bonus from the Caitian and Orion races and an equal amount from the Ferasans is a Physical Strength optional trait, which many captains choose to remove in favor of another space trait or something gives more ranged damage or healing on the ground. The Gorn actually have the 2nd-strongest racial melee bonus after the Klingons.

MY gripe, is that our damage bonus is ONLY melee damage, not physical like the others. (Physical damage also affects things like grenades, mortars, mines and sonic pulse in addition to melee.) Ssharki used to be a Quantum Mortar artist before the traits got revamped and physical damage was changed to just melee damage. I want physical damage back.

I won't say no to more melee damage, but I think we're balanced without it.

And I definitely don't want to be made any slower. Terrestrial reptiles are inherently very speedy in short bursts. Sixteen-foot (5m) alligators have been clocked at 30+ mph (~50kph) over short distances of about ten yards/meters. That's like racehorse speed.

Yeah, its hard to say its bad but good.... I just can't see a cat lifting a boulder...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And TBH, this Handicapped for Balance makes no sense to me... the fact that other races can beat us at mettle means we are over handicapped. Call me when you see a Klingon Warrior, Ferasan, Catitan, or Orion throw a boulder... I know im basing it on Boulder, but by that, Gorn Should NOT be this weak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Basic Status:

Weapons: Boulder, Gorn Claws

(Think of a Hodch)

True hard-canonwise, but it's in the STO novel so it's part of STO's own canon so it applies here.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Let's be fair: it's not a question of who's stronger, it's a question of who's crazier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAKxxdRYTE

:P
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Firstly, I know it's irrelevant since we can all figure out what you actually mean, but I think you're misusing "mettle". Mettle is more temperament and coping with hard situations.

On topic: I do think that gorn should be stronger, but your suggestions (e.g. Stopping them taking weapons, shields and armour in favour of 6 times the health of anybody else) are just a bit silly. Also would really TRIBBLE off a lot of gorn players, when their characters suddenly become useless.
    edited August 2013
    similon wrote: »
    Firstly, I know it's irrelevant since we can all figure out what you actually mean, but I think you're misusing "mettle". Mettle is more temperament and coping with hard situations.

On topic: I do think that gorn should be stronger, but your suggestions (e.g. Stopping them taking weapons, shields and armour in favour of 6 times the health of anybody else) are just a bit silly. Also would really TRIBBLE off a lot of gorn players, when their characters suddenly become useless.

Hypos, Kits, Etc are still usable. And Again, if done right, it would be good.. but I get your catch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Let's be fair: it's not a question of who's stronger, it's a question of who's crazier:

)O_O( Umm.... Gorn are Xenophobic... And They Hate Mammals... They Only Kill If Deemd Just... And Sure As Heck Aren't Afraid f Cats...

Joke Wise, Ha ha... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Credit to sander233, for the information:

Let us put it this way, by These statuses, Gorn are near the weakest in mettle in the game... therefore it is un-canon and very muched nerfed. Why in the whole Galaxy would a Cat do more melle damage than a Gorn? Same with Klingons. It just CAN'T be! Not to mention all the other Gorn traits... not really the Best IMO... but that's no the point. We are talking about mettle here. And the fact is, you REALLY messed up here.

OOC

Gorn, Has ONLY Ground Racial Traits...

17.5% bonus to Melee Damage
    15% chance to knock down the target of your melee attacks.
    +5 Physical Damage Resistance Rating
    +5 All Energy Damage Resistance Rating
    +10 Plasma Damage Resistance Rating
    +25 Fire Damage Resistance Rating

And in this case, almost all other races top them in almost ALL ways. BITE ISN'T EVEN A RACIAL GIVEN TRAIT! WHY DO WE NEED TO SLOT BITE IF WE HAVE TEETH ALL THE TIME!?!?!!? *sigh*

I know from previous posts, DEMANDING gets us no where, but REALLY... this is the reason WHY it needs to be fixed... and its simple.

Gorn ARE STRONG AND ARE BRUTES! AND ITS CANONICAL!

I Am NOT Saying Gorn Shoudl Be Able To Pick Up 2,000 lb Boulders... and Survive 8,000 LB boulders falling upon them from a few hundred feet above them, but they ARE nerfed. In My HONEST Opinion...

---- IMHO
    (NOT part of My Point, Its Is My Honest Opinion)

Canonicaly... Gorn Are Very Strong IN Mettle... So... Why Not That Be Their Weapon Only?

Here is how I see it...

Gorn Race Traits:

30.0% Mettle Strength

20% Knock-back Chance

10% Resistance To All Damage

Health: LvL 1: 500 Lvl 10: 1000 Lvl 20: 1500 Lvl 30: 2000 Lvl 40: 2500 Lvl 50: 3000

No Shields Available

No Energy Weapons Available

Available Weapons/Enhancements

Gorn Gauntlets: (When Equipped, It Is A Powerful Version of "Bare Hands", Strength of A Sword, But Has Higher Crit Chance)

Boulder: Availability To Throw A Boulder From Materials in the Surrounding Environment

(As Seen Gorn Use In Game, Sligtly more Powerful To Macth Up With Weapons In The Game, AOE, Knock-back, and Stun)

Empty Slot: Gorn Claws: Variant of Sweeping Strikes, More Powerful Than Regular Bare Hands, can 2.5% cause bleeding

KITS: Stay The Same, Tricorders, Fabrications, etc are still not "weapon" related, its carrer related. Therefore... its still good.

---- COMMENTS AND ADD ONS/TAKES ETC
    {Please Enter Here}

I agree as well but you should EDIT your post title...couldn't get the "METTLE" part till I read it and caught up with "MELEE"....:eek:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Fixed Title, thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think that the gorn should be the hardest hitting species, but they should also be the slowest. Slower attack speed, slower movement speed, slower run speed, but a single hit sends a foe flying across the map. :D
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Before we start picking on the KDF cats, let's remember that Ferasans are technically augments of Caitian decent, their strength, among other things, comes from genetic engineering:
    The Ferasans and Caitians were once a unified species, but an extensive genetic engineering program has greatly modified the Ferasan genome.

I have a soft spot for my Ferasan, not too keen on the Caitians though, can squish em all with boulders for all I care.:D
    I think that the gorn should be the hardest hitting species, but they should also be the slowest. Slower attack speed, slower movement speed, slower run speed, but a single hit sends a foe flying across the map. :D

Agreed.!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I don't want that.

Last winter event, Ssharki was the fastest thing on ice. Using him to breeze by Caitians and Ferasans on the ice track with 2.6m of powersliding cold-blooded muscle was too wonderfully hilarious for me to ever give up.

How about this idea: An OPTIONAL trait, called Brute Force

* +15% to physical damage on top of the racial 17.5% melee damage bonus we have now.
    * normal ground speed slows to walk speed, shift/sprint slows to normal speed.
    * ability: boulder hurl (or whatever is handy on indoor maps)
    * tailor/creator changes slider values for height to range from 2.5m - 4.0m and bulk base values are increased by 50%.

That way, if players want to turn their Gorn into a hulking, boulder-throwing, slow-moving brute, they may do so. For those of us who like are lizards more or less the way they are, we're set.

I still want that melee damage bonus in our racial trait converted back into physical damage though.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »

One thing I learn from Will Smith is to be crazier then the other person :Dhttp://youtu.be/rdSWk6RerQ0?t=53s
    GwaoHAD.png