test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What am i doing wrong?

obekkwaeobekkwae Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Federation Discussion
LT member from day 1, but have not played for more than a few hours in over a year (at least). Started a New Federation tactical officer and have currently been trying to find an "Aid the Planet" mission in the Delta Volanis cluster for over 6 hours now so that i can complete the Lt 2 mission "Needs of the Many"

When i last played, i never really had a problem (eventually) getting an AtP mission to get the mission finished and be able to move on. Has something changed about this since i have been gone? Since first entering the DV Cluster i've scanned enough anomalies to get 143 Mineral samples, 119 Alien Artifacts, 147 Radiation samples and a (minor) multitude of rare samples. After about 2 and a half hours i started just exiting missions that weren't AtP's because frankly the cluster missions are horrendous ( i have levelled several other characters to max before i stopped playing).

So can someone tell me what the deal with this is in the current game because right now, it's making me regret reinstalling the game to spend my stipend and see if i wanted to play a bit again in light of the Romulan stuff..
Post edited by obekkwae on

Comments

• Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    obekkwae wrote: »
    LT member from day 1, but have not played for more than a few hours in over a year (at least). Started a New Federation tactical officer and have currently been trying to find an "Aid the Planet" mission in the Delta Volanis cluster for over 6 hours now so that i can complete the Lt 2 mission "Needs of the Many"

When i last played, i never really had a problem (eventually) getting an AtP mission to get the mission finished and be able to move on. Has something changed about this since i have been gone? Since first entering the DV Cluster i've scanned enough anomalies to get 143 Mineral samples, 119 Alien Artifacts, 147 Radiation samples and a (minor) multitude of rare samples. After about 2 and a half hours i started just exiting missions that weren't AtP's because frankly the cluster missions are horrendous ( i have levelled several other characters to max before i stopped playing).

So can someone tell me what the deal with this is in the current game because right now, it's making me regret reinstalling the game to spend my stipend and see if i wanted to play a bit again in light of the Romulan stuff..

On my characters, I just stumbled on the right planet for that assignment. Best I can tell, it's fairly random and there is no set time to get it done.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well this is getting ridiculous. I was considering getting one of the romulan packs since i have a CE of game as well as being a LT member so that i have all the trappings for when i do play. But if this is any indicator of what levelling the new toon through to cap will be like cpmpared to how it used to be, well maybe I'll keep my money and free up the HDD space and come back in another 6 months to spend my stipend again.

Not being able to complete a Lt 2 mission because of RNG in deciding which missions actually are available after (now) 7 hours is just ludicrous.
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited August 2013
    Just skip it and get on with the campaign. I can't recall the rewards but I assume it's just XP and Expertise.

Oh and I never encountered a mission like that Romulan side, but I did allign with KDF.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    ibsteeleibsteele Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    <removed>

/10 characters
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm still going. There is no reason i can think of why a mission would be put in the game so close to the start of the game that would be un-completable. I've submitted a ticket (yeah i know good luck with that right) to see if i can sort it out. How something this (insignificant yet) bizarre is happening/even made it into the game, is beyond me. If i don't get a solution from them though i guess i'll just walk away again. I am not making a new character after having spent credits on an Efficient BOFF as well as other stuff on just because of this. It's ludicrous and i shouldn't even be in a position where i have to.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You do realize that you can drop the mission and just forget about it and get back to the campaign? It's a totally optional 3 year old mission. And you are focusing your disappointment on that ?

Legacy of Romulus launched with a crapload of new content aimed at the KDF and Romulan factions. Amazing content, and you seem to have decided to ignore all of that and focus on the fact that a really stupid 3 year old mission made when the game was just barely started is bad ?

For christmas sake ! Go make a Romulan or a KDF and enjoy some of the new content instead of QQing about a crappy mission from years ago.

And sorry, but "I spent some credits on an efficient boff , I dont want a new character... QQ, Etc Etc QQ"

Fine don't make a new character, but realize that it's entirely YOUR choice to focus on nothing but one poorly designed mission, when there is a universe of pretty darned good to sometimes excellent content just waiting for you to realize you don't have to finish every single mission in the game, and it's okay to drop some. Besides , energy credits in this game flow like water.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Why would i want to play new content when the original content doesn't work? Either way it doesn't matter for now. It's midnight here so i am going to bed. If i get no reply from CS as to what's going on with the mission i may try playing another faction or i'll just write the game off again as i have done in the past for reasons very similar to this and come back in another 6 months and hope the content i prefer to play actually works when i click accept for a mission.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There's a certain point in the thread where it starts to sound like trolling rather then fact. No one is going to spend hours flying around DV looking for an optional mission when the vast majority of us just take the mission, sell the commodity to raise some starting level EC, and then drop the mission because it doesn't reward enough XP to be worth taking.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    Albert Einstein
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    There's a certain point in the thread where it starts to sound like trolling rather then fact. No one is going to spend hours flying around DV looking for an optional mission when the vast majority of us just take the mission, sell the commodity to raise some starting level EC, and then drop the mission because it doesn't reward enough XP to be worth taking.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    Albert Einstein

Some people just want to be unhappy, and they will do everything possible to ensure they suceed.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Honestly, the Federation is a poor baseline example of what the leveling experience is like in the game since LoR. The Romulan and KDF leveling experience is far faster, coherent, and rewarding.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the variety of things you can do while leveling with Federation - it makes the other two factions look like cheap themepark rides(Romulans don't even have their own exploration clusters or planetary patrol missions).
  • Options
    claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just saying most people would have made LCDR in the time you've wasted in DV looking for a mission that gives little to nothing for XP or expertise.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Honestly, the Federation is a poor baseline example of what the leveling experience is like in the game since LoR. The Romulan and KDF leveling experience is far faster, coherent, and rewarding.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the variety of things you can do while leveling with Federation - it makes the other two factions look like cheap themepark rides(Romulans don't even have their own exploration clusters or planetary patrol missions).

With the KDF's PvP missions (The Most Dangerous Game[NPC kills], Turret Killer, Good Day to Die, and Captain/PC Ship Killer) it is no surprise that KDF is a fast run (too fast when you account for fewer item drops and EC). THose were originally due to the KDF's lack of content at game Launch. However, I don't want them removed because they are a way to earn quick dilithium.

I do agree that the exploring missions in Delta Volanis should be active from Lt. 1 or 2 since some people want to start a Fed Character without having to replay the tutorial. Same goes for the Defend the Sector Block missions that were removed somewhere around season 3. They really need to restore those so we can earn the Sector Defender accolades. If ALL of them were activated at Lt. 1 or 2 and were repeatable as soon as they are completed(as they were originally), then a player could concievably go from "baby" Ensign to VA without completeing Storyline missions if they want to spend time on such a long grind. Goodness knows most of my characters were leveled that way initially.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm not trolling. Just because i want to actually complete missions the game offers me doesn't make me a troll. Posting here to see if other people are having/have had the same issue doesn't make me a troll. According to the Wik here:
    When searching for a system that needs aid, the anomaly results are random, so requires persistance

So from that and the archived forum posts i could find, i had little reason to believe i wouldn't be able to get an aid the planet mission eventually. All i have done is come here asking about it after not having been able to complete (what should be) a straightforward, viable mission. But alas, like the game; it seems very little about the forum community has changed as well - it's still dominated by judgmental forum warriors.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not trolling. Just because i want to actually complete missions the game offers me doesn't make me a troll. Posting here to see if other people are having/have had the same issue doesn't make me a troll. According to the Wik here:

So from that and the archived forum posts i could find, i had little reason to believe i wouldn't be able to get an aid the planet mission eventually. All i have done is come here asking about it after not having been able to complete (what should be) a straightforward, viable mission. But alas, like the game; it seems very little about the forum community has changed as well - it's still dominated by judgmental forum warriors.

Ok, hows this.

The mission you are focusing on is indeed a major pain in the BLEEP. What we are all trying to tell you is that it is a well known pain in the BLEEP , and so we are all suggesting that you simply SKIP IT. Because it's, you know, OPTIONAL, and the content that is storyline driven and provides the expertise and skill points you require to level do NOT require that you in any way complete the mission that we are all telling you we know is a piece of flaming TRIBBLE pie. The mission sucks. We know that. We are trying to tell you that the rewards for it are miniscule. Skipping it will not cost you anything.

YOU are making the choice to focus on old content.
    You say
    "Why would i want to play new content when the original content doesn't work?"

Oh it does actually work, but its a poorly designed mission run off a Random Number Gen.
    But why would you want to play the new content? Simply because it's leagues better than stuff designed 3 years ago when the company was scrambling to meet a deadline after inheriting the project.

But you seem intent on focusing on a well known piece of poor design, and making that the reason why the game is OH SO BAD ! you have to leave, while refusing to try any of the new content. That's your loss.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

It sounds like you're just having a run of bad luck. The odds of getting the 'Aid the Planet' mission in DV is roughly 1 out of 20. If you keep doing DV exploration missions (along with the 'Explore Strange New Worlds' daily for the Dilithium) its only a matter of time before you run across one...
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not trolling. Just because i want to actually complete missions the game offers me doesn't make me a troll.
    Your 1st post states you have been looking for over 6 hours. Your 2nd post is an hour later, now over 7 hours. Your 3rd post is nearly 6 hours past your 2nd post - indicating you have been looking for this mission for around 13 hours at that point. You then go on to tell us all how broken the game must be if a simple Lt2 mission can't even be completed and you have no confidence in the rest of the levels.

I've been gaming since 1999 and I don't know anyone who's spent 13 hours trying to complete a single mission - especially a throw-away mission that doesn't even give you any real reward. Your posts sound more like you're trying to make an intentional negative statement rather then being generally curious as to why something doesn't work.

The AtP missions were essentially Diplomacy missions from a bygone era of the game - a game that was pre Doffs. Cryptic isn't in a rush to fix the random generator because everyone now uses Doffs for Diplomacy rather then this mission. AtP is essentially a dead mission that has no real purpose in the game any more. There's no reason to take it and no reason to spend 13 hour trying to complete it. There's no reason to spend 13 hours trying to complete any 1 mission, EVER - nor do I believe you spent 13 hours trying to complete it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ^ the cosmic has spoken.

And he is around here longer than most of the players.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Your 1st post states you have been looking for over 6 hours. Your 2nd post is an hour later, now over 7 hours. Your 3rd post is nearly 6 hours past your 2nd post - indicating you have been looking for this mission for around 13 hours at that point. You then go on to tell us all how broken the game must be if a simple Lt2 mission can't even be completed and you have no confidence in the rest of the levels.

I've been gaming since 1999 and I don't know anyone who's spent 13 hours trying to complete a single mission - especially a throw-away mission that doesn't even give you any real reward. Your posts sound more like you're trying to make an intentional negative statement rather then being generally curious as to why something doesn't work.

The AtP missions were essentially Diplomacy missions from a bygone era of the game - a game that was pre Doffs. Cryptic isn't in a rush to fix the random generator because everyone now uses Doffs for Diplomacy rather then this mission. AtP is essentially a dead mission that has no real purpose in the game any more. There's no reason to take it and no reason to spend 13 hour trying to complete it. There's no reason to spend 13 hours trying to complete any 1 mission, EVER - nor do I believe you spent 13 hours trying to complete it.

Cosmic, I'm not stupid, i'm not a troll. I may not have been around as long as you due to beta experience but as i indicated earlier in the thread, i was here at day 1. Sure i have taken breaks and you probably don't remember the persona i used before PWE merged everything and i lost it (dreadscythe and that's my ingame @handle) but i know how it used to work.

Just because you don't know anyone that hasn't spent that long on a mission doesn't mean anything. There have been games that have had missions and chains of missions that have required huge amounts of time - right now off the top of my head i am thinking of SWG and the Village as a good example. Sure this may not be as significant as that, but it's an example. Sure, it's not a mandatory mission and the reward might indeed be crappy, however when it comes to doing missions in the games i play, i tend towards being a completionist so not being able to do it DOES bug me because there's no reason it shouldn't work; which was why i even came here to try and figure out what was going on in the first place.

Something doesn't work, i post about it trying to find out what happened while i had stopped playing to cause it because i am trying to get it done, but i am in the wrong and a troll? As i said before, sounds like very little has changed on the forums!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So you haven't really played very much and you are angry about a mission that doesn't have a value?

You ask us what you are doing wrong?
    -- nothing. This is a Mission that has no value.

Thecosmic has explained you everything.
    -- and everyone should be thankfull for getting help by experienced players.

You don't care and are pissed about a retired Mission no one cares about any more.
    -- it is not worth, neither time nor nerves

You say you are a completionist?
    -- this is an online mmo, you will NEVER get everything you want. Don't pressurize yourselve.

There are some things in the game that are old and not really a lot of people care about.
    Some things even get better replacements by the time.

And no game is perfect.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And as much as I have figured out, this Mission was for a lot of people to hard.
    This was BEFORE the Doff mechanics.

After Cryptic has implemented the Doff mechanics, your mission has been reworked as different Doff missions.

Cryptic has left the Mission in the game, because sometimes it is too complicated or dangerous to remove a big amount of digital files from something huge like a mmo.
    Think of Jenga. You remove the wrong parts and the whole building comes down.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    seriously, go do something else.

There are vast, incredible new places to explore...

and you're pegging the entire game on your bad luck at a mission no one does anymore.

take our advice and just go and do the storyline content. You could have finished the the KDF war arc in the amount of time you've just wasted arguing with us.
    Think of Jenga. You remove the wrong parts and the whole building comes down.

they could remove the right part and it would still fall down....
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So you haven't really played very much and you are angry about a mission that doesn't have a value?

You ask us what you are doing wrong?
    -- nothing. This is a Mission that has no value.

Thecosmic has explained you everything.
    -- and everyone should be thankfull for getting help by experienced players.

You don't care and are pissed about a retired Mission no one cares about any more.
    -- it is not worth, neither time nor nerves

You say you are a completionist?
    -- this is an online mmo, you will NEVER get everything you want. Don't pressurize yourselve.

There are some things in the game that are old and not really a lot of people care about.
    Some things even get better replacements by the time.

And no game is perfect.

ooh point form. Ok.

- Great, so it should be possible to do, thanks for letting me know. I will keep at it.
    - He also essentially called me a liar in the process. So no, i wont be thankful. I'm not a liar nor do i appreciate having it implied of me. Reality is only Cryptic could prove i am not (and they don't care either way) and whilst i am not perfect, i have no cause to make up a forum post about an issue people in this very thread have even acknowledged, as a means of grandstanding when i could just do as i have done before, uninstall the game and move on for another 6 months. I'm 40 - not 14.
    - I never said i wanted everything - what i said was:
    however when it comes to doing missions in the games i play, i tend towards being a completionist so not being able to do it DOES bug me because there's no reason it shouldn't work;
    There's a difference.
    - Right, it is an MMO and i get they'll never be perfect, but the fact there is a mission near the start of the game, that flat out doesn't work no matter how much effort someone puts into completing it is exactly what's wrong with the game. If it's not broken, ok i'll just keep at it. If it is broken then Cryptic need to be aware of it and fix it OR remove it - since apparently people are perfectly fine with just skipping content; removing it is probably the better option.

Anyways, enough debating this. The consensus seems to be that's just how it is and if that's so, fine. No point debating it further with people who don't seem to grasp the points i am trying to make. All i have to figure out now is whether i take the risk and fork out for one of the romulan packs. I'm not convinced Cryptic could do it well enough based on their handling of the whole KDF thing over the course of the game.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, for what it's worth. I f you insist on completing the mission, but don't want to waste time to the RNG.

Skip it for now, and see to it you start the doff system and then level diplomacy.

At a certain rank the system will start to offer you Diplomatic Investigations in the clusters.

Once you get one you just go to the designated Cluster, could be DV, could be another one, and see a button on the right side of your screen to go directly to the system.

These days it is practically always an Aid the planet.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I wanted to help and solve some problems.

So i did the form list to check the points that were mentioned. No need for your offensive behaviour.

Yes you TEND towards completing missions. So then skip this old Mission when you are tending and try it later on when you have ranked up.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Ok, for what it's worth. I f you insist on completing the mission, but don't want to waste time to the RNG.

Skip it for now, and see to it you start the doff system and then level diplomacy.

At a certain rank the system will start to offer you Diplomatic Investigations in the clusters.

Once you get one you just go to the designated Cluster, could be DV, could be another one, and see a button on the right side of your screen to go directly to the system.

These days it is practically always an Aid the planet.

Best post ever. THANK YOU. If someone had just come out and said this to me from the start this thread would have been done with and buried. Now that i know the DOFF system can (eventually) lead me to being able to complete it I will do just that.

Again, thanks.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It sounds like you're just having a run of bad luck. The odds of getting the 'Aid the Planet' mission in DV is roughly 1 out of 20. If you keep doing DV exploration missions (along with the 'Explore Strange New Worlds' daily for the Dilithium) its only a matter of time before you run across one...

I found the "Aid the Planet" missions to be extrodinarily annoying and tedious. Due to the low drop rate of commodities, I would often simply warp out and drop those missions after first collecting the crafting anomalies. I find that spending EC in the replicator or from a commodity vendor on commodities to be a very bay payout for the missions. I think that they should be reworked so that you complete the mission just by saying you will beam some down, and if you have some of the commodity in your bank/inventory you get a bonus payout of dilithium on top of the basic mission reward. I comiserate with your frustration at wanting to complete a mission you picked up.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    davidwford wrote: »
    I found the "Aid the Planet" missions to be extrodinarily annoying and tedious. Due to the low drop rate of commodities, I would often simply warp out and drop those missions after first collecting the crafting anomalies. I find that spending EC in the replicator or from a commodity vendor on commodities to be a very bay payout for the missions. I think that they should be reworked so that you complete the mission just by saying you will beam some down, and if you have some of the commodity in your bank/inventory you get a bonus payout of dilithium on top of the basic mission reward. I comiserate with your frustration at wanting to complete a mission you picked up.

The 'Explore Strange New Worlds' daily rewards 1440 Dilithium for just doing 3 Exploration missions (which can include 'Aid the Planet'), and this is on top of the normal Exploration Tour, which can be done simultaneously... Do you really need more reward then this for doing Exploration missions...

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Explore_Strange_New_Worlds

(True, it can be annoying and tedious, but doesn't that apply to any of the grinding missions???)
  • Options
    rav10rav10 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why would i want to play new content when the original content doesn't work? Either way it doesn't matter for now. It's midnight here so i am going to bed. If i get no reply from CS as to what's going on with the mission i may try playing another faction or i'll just write the game off again as i have done in the past for reasons very similar to this and come back in another 6 months and hope the content i prefer to play actually works when i click accept for a mission.

Cry me a river!

Stop moaning, drop the dam mission and try something else.

There is enough out there to carry on.
  • Options
    seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ....I understand your annoyance(Been there, done that. Completionism is a heck of a curse). The problem is, it's Random. And on a fairly low chance. It's seriously frustrating if you're trying to clear out that one mission, but keep it around and sometime you'll get it. So don't concern yourself with it. If it's annoying you, do something else(Story missions, multiplay) and come back. Your mission journal has a vast amount of space, so you can take many, many other missions and come back. Since you've got daily missions to clear out the Exploration Clusters multiple times, you'll get it in the end.
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    I got that mission in Delta Volanis about 4 times while doing the "Strange new worlds" mission and I didnt queue it up. It pops up randomly like scan 5 things in space for crafting mats and leave. kill 5 things in space and leave, beam to planet and kill some klingons, investigate some abandoned base (with or without enemies), scan 5 objects on the planet surface (with or without enemies). So just leave it in your list and do strange new worlds and use that sector and eventualy it will pop.

They added that mission to the explore missions instead of giving it a greater chance of poping if it is in the mission list so there is allot more other random missions for it to compete with. May take you 1 time to get it or may take 1000000000000.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek: