test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek: Renegades

captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Ten Forward
I don't know how many people have seen this but a few of the actors, Tim Russ, Walter Koenig etc are making a new trek movie in the same style 'Of Gods and Men'. It will be set about 10 years after Voyager and the Federation is facing a crisis and already has a number of former trek actors involved.

They are shooting in October and they have funding enough to make the film but they are seeking further donations to improve the quality. They are hoping to pitch the film to CBS to possibly turn it into a full series either for online distribution or cable.

http://startrekrenegades.com/home/

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-renegades?show_todos=true

While I am a little sceptical about the plot, as it seems to move away from traditional Trek and be more gritty (although people said the same thing about DS9 when it first came out), I think it will be interesting to see the results and then who knows what will happen.

If CBS like it, and especially with the 50th anniversary coming up, then it could well be the catalyst for a new Trek set in the prime timeline that people are looking for.
Post edited by captainrevo1 on

Comments

• Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would like to see another Star Trek set in the future of the prime universe. I applaud the attempts being made. Hopefully it is a good story, with a good audience selling point. I would totally support this.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Looks interesting. Tuvok as the head of Section 31. Harry Kim, the Doctor, Neelix, and Icheb also seem to be involved with this movie. Walter Koenig has certainly aged from when he played as Bester. Will have to see it if it comes out.
  • Options
    bds007bds007 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They made their first milestone (20k) and are getting close to their second (45k).
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kewl ! thanks for this info, I had no idea this was going on.

;)
    edited August 2013
    If only I was older, and I had control over what I spent.

I would happily donate [Where is my pounds sterling symbol :mad:]20!

Even if you do $5 , only a few starbucks coffees sacrificed, I think it could make a big difference.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The minimum on indiegogo is $10, but yes, if just the players on STO contributed, they would reach their $200k milestone. I contributed (twice).
  • Options
    theredviola2003theredviola2003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's certainly very bold of them. I'm glad to see known Trek actors taking this on, I think that gives it more substance to the viewers. But what worries me, is that Tim Russ admits that he wants it to be "more edgy" ... and on the heals of the lovingly titled "Edgy Darkness" with the latest Trek film, I'm afraid fans will look at it and laugh. But what worries me more is that it will go the way of Stargate Universe... an interesting idea, but so poorly executed and written.

I wish I was in a more financially stable time of my life to donate, because I would certainly love to see something like this take off!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    They hit their second tier request yesterday (45k) and are going for the third now (60k). Every little bit helps.
  • Options
    tetsuotetsuo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm very iffy about this show, I'm not sure how well it will be done. I hope it will be good, but most low budget fan films suck. Not to say I don't love the spirit that goes into it, but meh. CGI has spoiled me.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think it will be done very well, most of the "guys" and "gals" are trained actors.

And this won't have a silly budget, it's budget is in excess of 40k!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    ....And this won't have a silly budget, it's budget is in excess of 40k!

that isn't that much at all when it comes to production costs.
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    that isn't that much at all when it comes to production costs.

40K is not its budget. It already has it budget from an earlier kick starter campaign. The money being raised now is extra on top to improve the quality to try and make it look as professional as possible. It's already close to 50k and has some time left to go.
  • Options
    bozzy88bozzy88 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I soooooo hope it all works out! I like most people on here, really long for a new series!
    pay day I am donating!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We've just received word from the fleet, they've engaged the Borg!
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They seem to be doing well, on their indegogo they are up to over 70k, that combined with their kickstarter - which ended 242k - is not a bad haul atm, hopefully it will go well and they have 9 days left.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I no doubt that any Star Trek series would be pulled apart by todays internet culture.
    Even older Series wouldn't survive two seasons if they would air today. People have become too critical about Star Trek IMO.

But i hope their project will convince me otherwise. :)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    smeagolsneakysmeagolsneaky Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wish them all the best in making this happen

I love Of Gods and Men so I really hope they keep or improve their standard

Alan Ruck doesn't seem to be in this one it?s a pity as john Harriman is one of my favourite star trek captains just for screaming ALL ENGINE FULL REVERSE in Star Trek Generations and I was thrilled he was one of the main characters in OG&M

But still great to see star trek actors included and I hope they spend more on CGI this time
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    With 20 hours left they are at an impressive $108,865 and have hit all their targets apart from the last one, so if anyone wants to donate now is the time.

• Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    With 20 hours left they are at an impressive $108,865 and have hit all their targets apart from the last one, so if anyone wants to donate now is the time.

Thanks for the bump, donated.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    I no doubt that any Star Trek series would be pulled apart by todays internet culture.
    Even older Series wouldn't survive two seasons if they would air today. People have become too critical about Star Trek IMO.

But i hope their project will convince me otherwise. :)

My problem with the spinoffs is that they didn't go where they said they would go. Voyager (Year of hell). With Enterprise, I expected them to bridge the gap between Zefram Cochrane to Kirk, i.e. life before/development of Dilithium Crystals, Transporters, Gravimetric Plating etc.

This was also my problem with the 2nd reboot movie. They didn't continue to refine the "reboot" theme in the 2nd movie, instead they borrowed heavily from earlier films.

I'm open minded but you need to deliver on your premise.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As a final note they finished on $132,555 which is on top of their original raised budget.

Looking forward to seeing what they can do with it.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i hope this gets star trek back on TV
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    tetsuo wrote: »
    I'm very iffy about this show, I'm not sure how well it will be done. I hope it will be good, but most low budget fan films suck. Not to say I don't love the spirit that goes into it, but meh. CGI has spoiled me.

The group has charted an entire new series on the web, cast in the nostalgic TOS era along with the Of Gods and Men sort or alternate universe. very entertaining :)

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?category_name=episodes&orderby=title&order=desc

and

http://startrekofgodsandmen.com/main/
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    I sure enjoyed these homages to TOS and loved the varied stories, even with a new and different cast. I think you would as well, give them a try and let me know if you agree! :cool:
  • Options
    towanitowani Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My wife and I donated... how could we not!

I'm super excited by this... I hope CBS sees the interest and commitment the fans and even previous actors have, and make something of it. Or at the very least, let them continue with it with some support :)
    Hi. Apparently I'm new here and joined in Jun 2012. Guess I'm in good company though... seems everyone else joined then too!