test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alien Character Species

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
@Cryptic

Any chance you could give us the option to name our Alien Species instead of it just saying 'Alien'? It's a simple fix, and would give players that little bit more uniqueness to their characters and/or bridge officers.

I've thought about an Xindi Primate Science Character, but (as lame as it may sound) I don't like the 'alien' label. Such request would help me with my dilemma, and I'm sure it would help others too; especially those who might wish to be a Cardassian or Vorta.

If you're thinking "but you/we can't do that for risk of adding these species in as playable later" then don't worry about that. Said species can always be added in later anyway, though with unique specific traits, features and costumes. It's still a win-win.

Thanks!
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    The same rules like with names etc. would still apply so for example no one should be able to call his alien species "Wookiee" so I don't see any big problem there.
    You have my support.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    The same rules like with names etc. would still apply so for example no one should be able to call his alien species "Wookiee" so I don't see any big problem there.
    I was actually thinking more of a drop down box option; any species that they've added parts for should be selectable.

Xindi Primate
    Kobali
    Hirogen
    Jem Hadar
    Vorta
    Benzite

...etc; this would stop trying to fix certain names such as having a non-trek species.
    You have my support.
    Much appreciated. Now I/We just need to get their attention. :)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah because I really want to see (insert sexual innuendo species) running around:cool:

i can just see the endless stupid specie names running around.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    cloudjumper190cloudjumper190 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Yeah because I really want to see (insert sexual innuendo species) running around:cool:

They could fix that problem with a predetermined choice list of alien species (ie: Xindi Primates), to select from. I think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just have an Alien species name generator or a mix'n match drop down where you can select syllables.

That would let you create Xindi, Cardassian, Ferengi and so on or make Xindassgi or Carrengdi.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    I was actually thinking more of a drop down box option; any species that they've added parts for should be selectable.
    Yeah because I really want to see (insert sexual innuendo species) running around

They could fix that problem with a predetermined choice list of alien species (ie: Xindi Primates), to select from.
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Just have an Alien species name generator or a mix'n match drop down where you can select syllables.
    Reading is essential. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Reading is essential. ;)

I read those posts (except the last one, that was made while I was typing) and just expanded upon them.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    timelord79 wrote: »
    I read those posts (except the last one, that was made while I was typing) and just expanded upon them.
    Duly Noted. :)

A Cardassian with Big Ears though? Not seeing the appeal there. :P
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Duly Noted. :)

A Cardassian with Big Ears though? Not seeing the appeal there. :P

Those three species were just the first that came to mind and it was easy making hybrid names out of them. doesn't mean you would have to lock yourself into a Cardassian with big ears. The alien parts you use would be independant of the name creation tool.

Having sylables to choose from to create new alien names would eliminate a misuse for profanities and already playable species names would be blocked.

Just use parts of those... so a Hu-gon and Klin-man would be possible but you couldn't make a Hu-man or a Klin-gon
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Xindi Primate
    Kobali
    Hirogen
    Jem Hadar
    Vorta
    Benzite

...etc; this would stop trying to fix certain names such as having a non-trek species.

Ah, okay. I was thinking along the lines of alien races that people create themselves which don't look like any races from any SF/Fantasy franchise.
    In that case it would (IMHO) be nice if players could decide how to call them, but with a blacklist which names are not allowed.
    This would be similar to the current systems in place that prevent players from naming their character "James Kirk" for example.
    While your idea should work as well, I'd like to respectfully throw in that such names might be counterproductive for certain alien species.

What would ya call these guys?;)

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/9654/screenshot2013052811183.jpg

I wouldn't wanna call'em Benzite or Cardassian, I'd call them...well I'll tell when I've got a name.:)

So in such a situation a "free" option might make more sense.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ah, okay. I was thinking along the lines of alien races that people create themselves which don't look like any races from any SF/Fantasy franchise.
    In that case it would (IMHO) be nice if players could decide how to call them, but with a blacklist which names are not allowed.
    This would be similar to the current systems in place that prevent players from naming their character "James Kirk" for example.
    While your idea should work as well, I'd like to respectfully throw in that such names might be counterproductive for certain alien species.

What would ya call these guys?;)

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/9654/screenshot2013052811183.jpg

I wouldn't wanna call'em Benzite or Cardassian, I'd call them...well I'll tell when I've got a name.:)

Discount Jem'hadar species
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Discount Jem'hadar species

Blueman-Pinhead Group?
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yes please cryptic. made a species rename token 1000 zen. win - win.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Jem' Hadar gone wrong? :P
    Of course my proposal would be optional, but it's there for people who might wish to use it. If people don't want to name their creations as a specific species then they shouldn't have too.

Simply, upon selecting 'alien' you are given a sub-option (drop down) in which you can choose to use something else instead of the 'alien' title.
    binebane wrote: »
    yes please cryptic. made a species rename token 1000 zen. win - win.
    Whilst 1000zen might seem a bit excessive, a zen token for your changing of label could be implemented too. If you start out as a Cardassian and wish to change to something else (essentially a species retrait) you get charged.

This being said, you would have to disable the options of being called a human, klingon, romulan (etc) alongside any of the already existing species, simply to save everyone going the alien route.
  • Options
    xepthrixepthri Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Naming aliens... not a bad idea.
    But also, stop calling them aliens, cos in Trek, EVERYONE IS ALIEN TO EVERYONE.
    Humans, Vulcans, Tellarites, Klingons, Caitians, the list goes on and on and everyone is in one way or another alien. But in the Federation, regardless of species, there's supposed to be unity and calling anyone an 'alien' seems xenophobic. So... I think the term "alien" is inappropriate in the 25th Century.

Just say "Unclassified Species".. or something similar. I know it isn't as short as the term "alien" but I think it is more politically fitting in a 25th century context.
  • Options
    imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think something similar was discussed, prior to launch, that you could name and share the races that you created.

I think it's a great idea. I think it should display as "Alien (Xindi Primate)" for example.
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not sure if CBS would like it. Having fed vorta, jem'hadar, maybe even changeling could be a problem. I think they would have to approve every single alien species you can make, if it's canon or not.

You can have an alien that look like a vorta, and say it's a vorta, but it's it's not licensed by CBS. For CBS, you're just an alien pretending to be a vorta. If you can pick the name "vorta", it mean CBS approve it, and it's canon.

It's just like the Foundry. The Foundry is fine, because it's considered "fan fiction". You can make a mission where the Klingons take ESD, and the federation is destroyed. However, it will never become canon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Not sure if CBS would like it. Having fed vorta, jem'hadar, maybe even changeling could be a problem. I think they would have to approve every single alien species you can make, if it's canon or not.

You can have an alien that look like a vorta, and say it's a vorta, but it's it's not licensed by CBS. For CBS, you're just an alien pretending to be a vorta. If you can pick the name "vorta", it mean CBS approve it, and it's canon.
    If CBS can approve a Federation Pakled, they can damn well approve this. :P
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not a bod idea for giving your Alien a species name.
    I support this about 50, 50.

At the same time, you guys are forgetting what an Alien is.

An Alien is an unknown speacies. So how can you give a name with out knowing what it is.

Instead of an actual species name, i would rather like to see Aliens be called by there faction.
    Like if, your a Alien joined with the Romulans, you should be called a Romulan Alien.
    Same for the KDF, an alien joined with the kdf, should be called a Klingon Alien.
    And same for the Feds, a Federation Alien.

Rather then just Alien.

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If CBS can approve a Federation Pakled, they can damn well approve this. :P

Amen!

I'd rather have the ship-beaming-down-to-planet/character-beaming-into-space bug again than see stupid Pakled's running around! lol
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    erei1 wrote: »

It's just like the Foundry. The Foundry is fine, because it's considered "fan fiction". You can make a mission where the Klingons take ESD, and the federation is destroyed. However, it will never become canon.

In case of species where CBS doesn't want it, they can ask Cryptic to blacklist that particular species. Problem solved.:)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bumblebush wrote: »
    At the same time, you guys are forgetting what an Alien is.

An Alien is an unknown species. So how can you give a name with out knowing what it is.
    Again, the pure alien option would remain for those that wish to use it. Nobody would be losing out with my proposal, we'd only gain.
    In case of species where CBS doesn't want it, they can ask Cryptic to blacklist that particular species. Problem solved.
    Aye, an easy fix / solution for those names they don't want. This would likely include all of the current playable races (save people from running around ESD with an Orion). I can imagine CBS having a problem with that. Orions in Starfleet?
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This wouldn't fix my inability to make a T'linri (made-up species) character/bridge officer have a species name, but whatever... Good for all of you Cardassian fans, I guess, though I believe that there will be a Cardassian faction later on and this won't matter...