test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Undo The New Console Icons Petition

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
The new console icons are too detailed for their image size, do not match the theme of any other aspect of the game, are not intuitive because of all the colours, and are unnessesary. There are plenty of areas to improve in the game, the old icons were not one of them.

The armors and plates are difficult to distinguish, as are the beam weapon damage boost consoles, and the many other icon problems show that no thought were given to quickly distinguishing consoles. You have to look a few times, give up, and wait for the tooltip to see what it is. Every aspect of the new icons is confusing, functionally counter-intuitive, and aesthetically amateur. How am I supposed to distinguish my torpedo consoles? That tiny little symbol that doesnt take more than a few pixels? its a waste of the rest of the icon.

"We are sorry you feel that way but we and many other gamers like it" is the first standard PR corporate response to expect. To this, I say, hold a poll, and put your money where your mouth is. You're wrong and it will be made clear in a vote. Also, standard PR corporate answers only come from bad people.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    PS; I wrote a thread recently about how great this game was, and its continuing development. Great timing on the icons dev's.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hmmm... let's see. Either keep the new ones, which are all apparently far more canonically accurate, or go back to the random lazy icons that we had before.

Tough choice.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    garside wrote: »
    Also, standard PR corporate answers only come from bad people.

As do broad absolute generalizations. :P
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How about we make suggestions to improve them, instead of a total condemnation...

Such as what I posted HERE....

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Hmmm... let's see. Either keep the new ones, which are all apparently far more canonically accurate, or go back to the random lazy icons that we had before.

Tough choice.

Or how about new canonically accurate icons that aren't all identical and that people can easily identify like those old lazy icons. :P
  • jonascarlsonjonascarlson Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Does anyone else find them to be annoying? Why replace the original ones when they looked better, were more decisive and not as tacky? They're just plain ugly and you can't tell which is which.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How about instead of working on things that aren't broke they focus on all those bugs that popped up when they launched Legacy
  • jonascarlsonjonascarlson Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gholendhor wrote: »
    How about instead of working on things that aren't broke they focus on all those bugs that popped up when they launched Legacy

Right on!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why the hate campaign against them. There is nothing wrong with them. Ok they look totally different to what we were all used to, but they have been designed to represent the true ST schematics (read the orignal post regarding the changes). Yep sure some player (if not all) will have some time getting used to them, but I see nothing wrong with them at all. Every time anything changes in the game there is always some thread (or threads) saying that they don't like the new this or that, trust me after a week or two all this will all be forgotton, and when they change them again players will be calling for the ones now to be brought back.

When LoR was first launched there was a minority of players calling for the original UI to be brought back because they didn't like the new one. Where are the threads for the old UI to be brought back? They are no where to be seen, Why? because players have got used to it, it is exactly the same for the new icons.

Give it a week or two an you won't think anymore of them.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How about instead of making a petition on something stupid you make one on big stuff like bug fixes....see it works both ways :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Does anyone else find them to be annoying? Why replace the original ones when they looked better, were more decisive and not as tacky? They're just plain ugly and you can't tell which is which.

+1 but they aren't hurting anything, but they were a waste of time IMO
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Lately they make all icon images HUGE, almost filling the entire image. Its meant to somehow be clearer, but in reality it just makes it all look the same. Total waste of resources, if they have to find something for the UI guy to do have him make the lunch runs or something, making him do busy work that isn't needed or wanted is not only a waste of time, its detrimental to the player experience.

Did no one in Cryptic look at these things before they were changed?
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What annoys me is the color scheme.

Every other item in my inventory I can determine the rarity of by a glance, except consoles now. Uniformity in design, especially visual design is extremely important even if not always noticed. Their is a reason all google UIs, and all Apple UIs look similar within the brands.

And this is just the new addition to the inconsistency list. Why do some missions drop a box and others dump the reward directly into your invintory? Why does the method used to start the Sha'mar daily mission differ from the Alehna one? Minor I know but irritating.
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I rather like them. And if the extra 0.5 seconds it takes for the tooltip to pop up if you're confused is really such a big deal, you should probably find a slower game to play. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    Where were all of you when the thread posted by the dev who was working on the icons was posted? It was posted before to get feedback and many of the players opinions were implemented in changes.

The only thing I do not care about is the pastel colors used in them. Aside from the color pallete used i think they are a welcome change with consiole fitting a family so you know that icon represents a tac console and not a science or engineer.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They are not going to undo them, so you can forget that right away.

There is nothing much wrong with the new icons, they are simply new to what people are used to. The exact same thing came up with the new UI. some people hated it and wanted it reversed. Give it a week or two and you will get used to it, just like people got used to the new UI. You need more than a day to adjust to them so dont make snap calls to have everything change back.

Some may require a tweak here or there, but call for that after a few weeks when you can be objective about it.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not sure why they decided to both changing the icons, but I don't think some of them are that bad. The ones that really should be switched back are the armor and alloy ones as they were much more distinctive then the new ones are. The only other one really which is going to seem quite petty, but none of the warp cores should have something as specific as the warp core from the defiant. The defiant is the only ship to ever be shown with that warp core and I seriously doubt it would be powerful enough to run the larger ships.

The only reason I can think of for them to even have bothered changing these in the first place is that it's part of the overall Fed graphics update and tutorial overhaul they were talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This was to be expected. People were going to complain about the new icons no matter what they were, just because they aren't the ones they're used to.

But its pointless to whine. If they did eventually change them back, you people would complain again because by then you'd already have gotten used to the new ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I read some of these comments, and I agree it's a good shot at looking more canon, (the consoles and the devices they reflect from the show), I think they could have emphasized with solid colour instead of a light filter over an image. I don't mind a change, it's just that this one is too many of the wrong colours emphasized in the icons. A problem the old icons didn't have. Maybe have a switch between the icons in the menu system? They are good new icons, if they weren't supposed to reflect a colour scheme, but I learned a colour scheme.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Where were all of you when the thread posted by the dev who was working on the icons was posted? It was posted before to get feedback and many of the players opinions were implemented in changes.

I for one didn't know there was any changes being planned until I suddenly found myself staring at new icons. :rolleyes:
    They are not going to undo them, so you can forget that right away.

There is nothing much wrong with the new icons, they are simply new to what people are used to. The exact same thing came up with the new UI. some people hated it and wanted it reversed. Give it a week or two and you will get used to it, just like people got used to the new UI. You need more than a day to adjust to them so dont make snap calls to have everything change back.

Some may require a tweak here or there, but call for that after a few weeks when you can be objective about it.

And what about people who have bad eyesight (like colorblindness)? What about people who has computers the display those icons in such detail they honestly can't identify by just looks?

You honestly telling those players to "deal with it"?

If the Dev Team honestly expects people are just blowing off steam, like any other change, I'll be really disappointed they ignored the plights of the visually impaired.
    edited August 2013
    I for one didn't know there was any changes being planned until I suddenly found myself staring at new icons. :rolleyes:

And what about people who have bad eyesight (like colorblindness)? What about people who has computers the display those icons in such detail they honestly can't identify by just looks?

You honestly telling those players to "deal with it"?

If the Dev Team honestly expects people are just blowing off steam, like any other change, I'll be really disappointed they ignored the plights of the visually impaired.

I would tell them to put the cursor over the item and read
    GwaoHAD.png
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »

Tough choice.

I don't know if the new icons are "canonically" accurate. Here's a quick example:

Run a google search for "relay images." Now compare the results with the old and new phaser relay icons. I found that most relay photos had square transparent box-shaped enclosures -- this more accurately matches the old phaser relay picture as opposed to the new-style soda can icon.

The old icons were also far easier to differentiate since they all looked unique. The new ones look like they were copy/pasted and recolored to match the corresponding energy type hues.

Given the above, it's a no brainer -- give me back the old icons!

EDIT: BTW, if some here don't already know, the STO community response to the new icons has been overwhelmingly negative. I seriously doubt that Cryptic will leave the new, largely undesired icons in place long term.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok fair enough, I don't have any disabilities so when i speak I don't do so taking into consideration every single persons problems. Its almost impossible to make a game and account for everything.

are the new icons better or worse for colourblind people? i would definitely say they are worse. if its an issue for players to the point where its impossible to distinguish then fine, some changes may be in order.
    edited August 2013
    shar487a wrote: »

EDIT: BTW, if some here don't already know, the STO community response to the new icons has been overwhelmingly negative. I seriously doubt that Cryptic will leave the new, largely undesired icons in place long term.

The forums are always negative about everything, it's pretty much the same whine tune as always when something changes.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The forums are always negative about everything, it's pretty much the same whine tune as always when something changes.

Plus the overall number of the players on the forum is massively smaller to the overall number of players the negativity regarding this on the forum is the size on an atom compared to players overall.
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What is wrong with the new icon, they really look Nicer than the old once we had.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I know it is only another snap shot, but when I was on the chat was overwhelmingly negati9ve in the area of the new icons. It was appreciated they did the work but they failed on the outcome. Basically it boiled down to getting an A grade for effort but an F for implimentation/execution.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I must admit I can't see why the loss of graphics variety is seen as an upgrade by Cryptic and I would rather have the option for the old console designs, much like the UI skin options
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and I approve of this poll."

Likely not going to happen, though. It's like asking them to put up a poll for whether people rather see bug fixed than yet more new things: they fear the outcome.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.