Options

Team vote kick: A discussion

Comments

• Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yes, it would work.

Again. Specify *how* it would work. Or admit that you are just indulging in wishful thinking.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Create macro that toggles an activity every 29 seconds.

Exploit achieved.

Which would require some knowledge in macros...I'd take my chances
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't have to explain anything to you. I can say for sure that the code could easily determine whether someone is popping a macro ever 30 seconds to fire off a heal or whatever.

In other words, you're just pulling stuff out of your orifices. Hand-waving 'code could easily do this and that.'

ROFL.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    give me a break how ever you setup a kick vote system it hurts normal user more then the player that nomal players want to kick.

and new problems with it.

users that love to call votes just to get somone kicked.

users that will call votes because you blow the cube without asking him

users that will call votes because you did heal him

users that will call votes because you he has a friend who wants to join this match

users that will call votes because you are not good enough in their view

users that will call votes because you went for the T'varo and not the Mogai

and so on.

and not only are you kicked you get the leaving penalty
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    Where do ya work man? Would love to work with ya, you do 100% of the work, I chill out all day and if anyone asks....we'll say we did it 50/50. I'm sure you wouldn't mind, right?

I work at home. This however is a game, not work.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And you do? How many lines of the game code have you written exactly? The game already measures your activities in the game. You're awarded accolades and the like for taking damage, healing, earning XP etc. To write something that could measure whether or not you're doing anything in a queued event isn't a huge leap.

If it's so easy, why are Fleet action rankings so often borked?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ask the Developers that question.

These are the same developers you are relying upon to do your participation metric. Logic suggest that if they have trouble with one, they'll have trouble with the other.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it will being abused and forum overrun with demands that it will be removed for years to come, it's one of those idea that sound good but is not worth it to have

Exactly. This option have been discussed many many times before on the forum. The overall consensus was that, yes it would be a good idea, but like you have said it would be abused.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In other words, you're just pulling stuff out of your orifices. Hand-waving 'code could easily do this and that.'

ROFL.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Welcome to the forums, where anyone with a laptop and an internet connection is game development expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You've no idea what may be causing any issue with the code, so assuming that the Developer's couldn't fix the problem or even improve upon it is a bit naive.

I'm sure they can improve upon it. Since there isn't a system around that can't be improved. In fact improvements have been made on it throughout the systems existence, but three years later, it still produces numerous anomalies.

Does this really sound like something that can be implemented as easily as you seem to think?

Participation is fuzzy and requires constant tweaking to make sure it behaves even closely to what you want it to do. A vote-kick system, even though it has potential flaws, has the advantage that you can clearly define how you want it to work.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not really.

Again with the assertion without foundation. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You're essentially doing the same. But if you feel it could never work, more power to you. I happen to disagree. You can try to say the existing code doesn't work, but any anomolies or bugs aside, it is measuring what you are doing. The idea is feasible. Sorry if it doesn't allow you to boot other players because you want to.

The existing code doesn't work. That's a fact.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Really? You're not receiving XP on eligible characters? You're not receiving accolades for damage dealt/received? Or for healing?

This game really is broken then...

Way to generalize his response, he means the current way of dealing with a leecher is broken. I would say there is no way to deal with them and thus nothing broken, just missing

• Options
    edited August 2013
    One could argue that existing tools in game allow anyone to avoid leeching quite easily. It's up the to individual whether or not they want to make the time to use them.

For some, those "avoid" tools mean to avoid sto...that is not a tool at all

• Options
    edited August 2013
    And for some, getting unfairly vote-kicked from a team because they weren't piloting the "right" ship or for whatever reason could make them avoid STO too.

Do you encounter people complaining about the ship their using? How so you know this is what people are thinking?

If someone showed up in a Miranda or a shuttle in my stf, I would kick em... but rear admiral or above...i wouldn't question it

• Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    I have never seen a leecher ever so i cannot see it as being a big enough problem to implement a new tool for griefers and i have seen plenty of griefers. Griefing is a problem and probably some of those leechers are griefers doing it just to TRIBBLE you people off rather than go and do what is guaranteed to blow the optional. Give them a vote kick and they will use that to grief instead and I have seen vote kick's abused far more than used to remove an true unwanted player.

It starts as a tool to remove the worst players and quickly devolves to calling a vote simply because someone doesnt like something you are doing or have, votes on the top player simply because they are doing the best. votes for players using a class and kit someone doesnt like. Votes for players who are not following the players orders when that player calling the vote is an idiot to begin with. Votes simply for not liking a players name. Votes just because getting some kicked is "funny".

No vote kicking is not the fix for the problem because no fix should be a problem itself.

A proper solution is to just ignore the leechers and not worry about them. Simply consider them a difficulty modifier. But since few have the maturity and ability to not stress the stupid stuff then use the ignore feature and anyone on ignore cant be teamed with. That removes these mystical leech's and takes care of the normal griefers.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you cant remove the leaver penalty it was put there because people left to often much as they are now in fleet mission. so keep the leaver penalty its a must have or we will have other fights brewing.

dps meter is in game other wise the game could not give 1st place trophies which I have a nice collection of them in my mess hall ...

and I don't even want the cheater kicked from the match , they need to stay. if the elect to leave they get the penalty. but use the dps meter to decide rewards.

if any player has less than 50% of the accumulated damage or healed points as the next lowest player they get no rewards.

kick will be abused.
    no penalty leaves will be abused.
    afk is being abused now.
    any new system will find a way to be abused.

But that does not mean people should just take it all and keep working for the leeches.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    edited August 2013
    icsairguns wrote: »
    if any player has less than 50% of the accumulated damage or healed points as the next lowest player they get no rewards.

Here's the problem with that. 1 'normal' player gets in with 4 'super-elite' players. He could still be contributing and do less that half of the next person. Should he really be penalized?
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here's the problem with that. 1 'normal' player gets in with 4 'super-elite' players. He could still be contributing and do less that half of the next person. Should he really be penalized?

I doubt he would do less than half of the lowest player. would be mighty hard for that to happen .

Something does need to be done. im a person that hunts accolades and these afk people are killing it. especially in fleet mission where the game is tracking the named bosses defeated. now people are leaving before the last wave usually leaving only 2 people lucky if 3 stay these days. and it can be damn hard to complete when your 2 or 3 people down.

any thing that involves other players can be abused that is for sure. but I really think if you cant do atleast 50% as much damage as the next lowest scoring player you probably shouldn't be doing that type of stf. and just maybe that would fix another problem of people skipping over normal stfs and going straight for elites when they are not properly equipped.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG