Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #39

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What about Small Fleets that "wish to enhance the look of their holdings?"

Maybe a Fleet size discount would be in order.

It would make the current Fl337 system more like a Fleet system.

This has always been a suggestion in every single discussion about every single limited time project. And it really comes down to the unscrupulous and inventive players of the game who don't want to play to the spirit of the game.

Fleet breaks into two fleets. The main fleet and the alt fleet. Projects come up, and people leave one fleet en masse to reduce the project costs. Whether they rejoin one at a time to keep the cost low or not is irrelevant. Once the project is filled with 'small fleet'-level resources, the members all rapidly rejoin.

They reap the benefits of a small fleet simply by playing 'musical fleets' and moving around keeping each fleet roster low to game the system until the time comes to have a new project.

These players exist. They exist in large numbers. There will always be unscrupulous players in every game and whenever an exploit is there, it will be exploited. Cryptic learned their lesson on this one that there is no honor system on the internet.

You have your other human beings who will exploit the game for their own benefit to thank -- it is because of these unscrupulous players that there will never be fleet project requirements based on roster size.

TL;DR - Unethical Players is why we can't have nice things.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    im sorry but the " vanity" projects have for the most part been very week tbh considering the investment needed for them i mean think about it.

when vanity projects first came out for the starbases, we had to pay 200k dill for opening a shutter that i think i would have done myself with the tractor beam on my ship, with the same dill i could have purchased alot of functional items with that amount including a lvl 40 ship or multiple mk XII rep weapons.

now if you want to make a 200k dill investment worth it you need to step up your game on the quality and quantity of the upgrade in hand.

Example:

lets use a possible embassy upgrade could be an exterior courtyard out front of the embassy comleate with garden fountain decorated pillars and social seating areas nicely decorated in a style that you get to choose so it could be in romulan, klingon or federation style, giving you a choice of decor mkaing it alot more worth the 200k investment while giving a slight bit of ****ionality rather than just "here is a 200k dill project for some vines in your embassy" or " galaxys most expensive fish tank with barely any fish for the price of 2 starships"
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This one is really cool! The crystals "float" up/ side-ways through the light beams, almost like piping. They are in various places around the mine's interior.

In due time, as we get closer to Season 8's release, which is scheduled to occur before the end of the year :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Funny part especially with how these things use the player as a host for these so you can't park any characters in these people can't justify getting these for the most part when they aren't visiting them but maybe once to get the special gear heh.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't think these would get so much hate if they were half priced or if more things occurred in them. At the start, there's very little reason to visit your Dilithium Mine or Embassy, so making it pretty just feels like a waste. If there were more missions or story things in them then upgrading them would be far more worthwhile.
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't think these would get so much hate if they were half priced or if more things occurred in them. At the start, there's very little reason to visit your Dilithium Mine or Embassy, so making it pretty just feels like a waste. If there were more missions or story things in them then upgrading them would be far more worthwhile.

Quoted for truth! You hit the nail on the head centersolace!
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    skiffy1skiffy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Does this unlock the floating dilithium in the exterior of the map too? I recall seeing that in the P1 video, as well as on the Dil Mine map.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There shouldn't be hate at all for these projects. They exist as a source of fleet credits for big fleets. They are purely cosmetic with nothing essential about them. If you can't afford it, you aren't missing anything, so don't queue it in the first place. Why is that hard to understand?
  • Options
    poeddudepoeddude Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This one is really cool! The crystals "float" up/ side-ways through the light beams, almost like piping. They are in various places around the mine's interior.

In due time, as we get closer to Season 8's release, which is scheduled to occur before the end of the year :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You know what else is scheduled to occur before the end of the year? Christmas. And Thanksgiving. And Halloween. And 4 whole months.

There should be a damn site more than just Season 8 between now and the end of the year.

Less BS answers please. I'm still hopeful they will take another shot at fixing Science before the end of the year. Probably self deluded I know.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah these posts remind me of this nukara rep thing being hog wash and on top of that the game is getting kinda dull might have look elsewhere for awhile if this season 8 is just as bad.
  • Options
    mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

These projects aren't worth 200K of dilithium. They're worth 50K tops. I'm co-lead of a small fleet and we've only done the tier 1 starbase. The embassy, mine and higher tiers of the starbase aren't worth starting since the resource requirements are ridiculous, and this TRIBBLE pretty much killed the fleet. I'm the only one still active in it.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll definitely pass the feedback along :) We're always considering ideas on how to make them even better!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Yeah like others have said, maybe something that adds some sort of utility instead of just something that looks pretty.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    It almost seems like low hanging fruit to ask that if their opinion is irrelevant, how do you uphold your claim to Grand Imperial Arbiter of Coolness?

I didnt say I was as you say Grand Arbiter of Coolness. I was just saying this is Brandons opinion that its cool. In my opinion the dilithium mine projects are worse than the other time sinks and a lot of small fleets are sick of them and plus having dilithium floating in light just seems pointless when they could always do better projects or more important things like fix the bugs since season 7
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Instead of using dilithium I think more people would be more inclined to do these if they changed it to Fleet marks I for one would be more inclined to do more of them
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This one is really cool!

This is cool? Remind me to not let you plan my next party.

Cool would be something not useless.
    Cool would be it not costing 200k Dil.
    Cool would be spending your time fixing issues. My Space Power tray still loses things I place and adds things I don't place. Even though its 'locked'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The equivalent of around $20 in dilithium, for a non functional thing.
    Way over priced.

Do want. Sad we'll never have.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "... WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME OF CHESS ?..."

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    TBH im not surprised, its been about 3 weeks since the last cash grab item hit for a fleet project...

and since the free week giveaway is over they gota recover the money the lost (holding peoples stipends for ransom apparently didn't cover the giveaway afterall)

Cryptic, im not saying don't try to make money, but you (the company) have to be rolling cash in on a monthly basis with everything that is offered like....50 dollar starships, I think its time to reconsider doing that business ethics class and re-ask if what your doing is ethical.

and ya I could care less if my post gets omitted, changed or straight banned anymore. its the same as ignoring the player base anyway (which you do on a daily basis so kudos on that too)

let me clarify a bit...company asks us for money, we give
    community asks for bug fixes on any scale, we don't get....

get the picture?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Isn't this like, the third Dev Blog in a row about a 200,000 Dilithium mine project? My fleet is tiny. We may get round to filling the first one, at some point, after everything else gets to the point where we can't go on. But to already be on the fifth project? Never going to happen for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2013
    I find the time limited nature for all these upgrades for looks questionable.

The artificial and time limited scarcity makes me usually pass on any project, no matter how cool it is.
  • Options
    zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can you give us a break please with the special projects, it costing us all a lot already. I feel like I have a 2nd job now in this game, each day I am farming/grinding more then enjoying the game ffs I have already a ****ty job and I just want to relax and enjoy STO with a minimum of farming/grinding. So please give us some breathing space for 2 to 4 weeks before putting up the next Special Featured Project :(

Thanks in advanced.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I get my toons stuck in those damned dil crystals twice a week since the last featured project. Trying to do the dil mining daily and I always manage to jump into one of them stoopid crystals with no way of getting out except beaming out. Highly annoying.

Don't. Want. More. Crystal. Please.
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There's making money and theres gouging.

This is gouging...

Send that as "feedback". Not that Cryptic and Perfect Wallet Extortionists (PWE) will listen.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    its not like ya'll need this.

if you object then just dont buy it.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Seriously, stop. That bordered on insulting our intelligence. People before that comment replied with clear dislike of the direction the projects are going in and your reply is 'this one is cool! it floats!' We are not children, don't say things like that that imply we are.
    Like any of the other optional holding projects, if it doesn't interest you, you don't have to slot it. These cosmetic options exist for fleets who wish to enhance the look of their holdings.

Says the guy who claimed it was cool because the crystals float
    There shouldn't be hate at all for these projects. They exist as a source of fleet credits for big fleets. They are purely cosmetic with nothing essential about them. If you can't afford it, you aren't missing anything, so don't queue it in the first place. Why is that hard to understand?

Think before you speak. First, there is no hate. That is a term used to attempt to discredit others when you have no valid counter point. Second, you want to talk about big fleets? How about small fleets? You know, the fleets that the whole system was supposed to be helping
    its not like ya'll need this.

if you object then just dont buy it.[/quote

Circular logic, and a common claim made by people who have no way to dispute the fact that its a scam. By that logic, dump anything, no matter how annoying or pointless, or harmful to the game or any aspect of it. Then tell people if they don't like it just have nothing to do with it

See how long that works
  • Options
    oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can call it gouging if these were essentials, but they really aren't.

I'm pleased that they are coming so thick and fast. Because they have to get them all to us before the next season and the new fleet holding. So either there are a lot of upgrades that can be done, or the next season isn't that far way.

I just want details on the T3 Daily mission that's a construction project. What sort of reward can you get get from going the daily
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is cool? Remind me to not let you plan my next party.

Cool would be something not useless.
    Cool would be it not costing 200k Dil.
    Cool would be spending your time fixing issues. My Space Power tray still loses things I place and adds things I don't place. Even though its 'locked'. :rolleyes:

I think it's very cool. Kinda wish we did get the project for the Starbase versus the Dilithium Mine; but considering how often I'm at the mine I like the change of scenery. So it's not useless, in my view.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why has the rabid horde of whiners come out for this project, but none of the previous Starbase or Embassy ones? They have always been and always will be cosmetic, and don't block any other projects.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why has the rabid horde of whiners come out for this project, but none of the previous Starbase or Embassy ones? They have always been and always will be cosmetic, and don't block any other projects.

Erm, pretty much all of those did, too.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Lololololol

..wait, they are serious? they have time to do this, 'fix' icons and yet theres god knows how many glitches and bugs still yet unfixed?

...how about doing something more intresting - how about letting us queue 'kickstarter' like projects to donate dil to get bugs fixed faster? surely the masses of dil/z 'money' would get the little coders a'tappin..right?
  • Options
    thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Because up to now most small fleets were somehow able to cover those 200k needed... but with, as I said earlier, now up to 10 regular projects those small fleets now run into the same problems even smaller fleets run into earlier. And once the next holding is out I guess there will be even MORE "whine".

Hey, Cryptic, us smaller fleets want a nice looking home as well <.<