ensigndrake1ensigndrake1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
Please rate the new movie
Post edited by ensigndrake1 on

Comments

• Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would comply if this were in Ten Forward.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ha! I rate STID 3/10.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    8/10 if you're looking for an action movie

5/10 if you're looking for an 'extended episode' type movie trek is infamous for
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Excessively poor
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dont care what any of you think... I loved it.

and it is the biggest grossing Star Trek film, nearly a half a billion dollars to date....so yeah.

JJ definately delivers.

so much that Star Wars even asked him to make one.
    edited August 2013
    7 out of 10. Would have been higher if the Khan plot was cut out and it focused on Admiral Marcus and his manipulations, I think that was a cool plotline and would have been stronger on its own.

But please, do NOT care what I think. Form your own opinion and enjoy the fact that it might be different from what everyone else thinks.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Review laced with spoilers, don't read if you don't want to.

Plot:
    It's full of holes and questionable logic:
    How far away is Qo'nos meant to be from Earth? The 4 days at below Warp 5 in Enterprise was bad enough, but the pacing of STID implies it's about half an hour away.
    We're expected to believe that Admiral Marcus, decided to put together his plan for a more militaristic Starfleet together, found Khan, built the Vengeance (and possibly the base where the Vengeance was constructed. I doubt he'd have successfully hidden it on Utopia Planitia), and decided to start a war with the Klingons, with time for Khan to turn on him, in a year? That's "build the most powerful ship in the Quadrant at a secret base with the help of a people so subjugated that they're only used as expendable dilithium miners and suicide troops" (aka. Scimitar) levels of BS.
    Why is the Starfleet equivalent of a meeting of the Joint Chiefs of Staff not protected at all?
    Are there no engineers on the Enterprise other than Keenser who might be better suited to replacing Scotty than Ensign Crusherov?

And there's plenty other stuff I could harp on about, but I'll take too long.

Still, it's not the only Star Trek production to not be tightly plotted. If you ignore all the errors in the details and strip it back to its bare bones, it's plausible enough, and does a good job of bringing Khan into the equation. 4/10

Characters:
    I like that Kirk is generally less brash and arrogant than in XI, which is a big improvement, but I would've liked his demotion to last more than five minutes. Spock is all over the place. Have the writers of Star Trek become incapable of doing anything with Vulcans other than have them fail to repress their emotions, y'know, the thing their whole society is supposed to do lest it nearly destroy itself again? Uhura is just there to be Spock's girlfriend (congratulations, we're now less progressive than in the 60s). Carol Marcus is there for no reason other than to be Carol Marcus. I honestly don't remember being either impressed or unimpressed with McCoy.

In terms of bad guys, Khan is plausible, Admiral Marcus isn't. It was his plan all along to destroy the Enterprise? Why? If they'd done their job perfectly from scratch, he wouldn't have needed to.

On the plus side, I like Scotty in it, and Sulu's brief cameo in the Captain's chair is good. 3/10

Cinematics / Action: Probably the high point. The action sequences are well shot and directed, and if you're into OTT stunts and superhero movies, it's a reasonable visual treat. It's maybe not completely suited to Trek, but I liked Khan's battle with the Klingons, because it immediately flagged him as an Augmented human (y'know, if you'd lived under a rock and didn't know he was going to be Khan). I also like that they had Spock, who's more of a physical match for Khan fight him rather than Kirk, although the fight itself was a bit ridiculous. 7/10

Overall, I'd give it a 4 or 5 out of 10.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

" I would have thought that having reached this point it would be fun to go back to the years in which Kirk first got the Enterprise, and met these people. Nothing would please me more than to have Star Trek come back years in the future, and bright young people and new stars and so on really make it something, and have them say ' that's better than Roddenberrys '. I'd like that."

" Star Trek says the human adventure has just begun. It'll go on without any of us. And get better and better and better, because that really is the human condition is to improve and improve. "

- Gene Roddenberry

edited August 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Ha! I rate STID 3/10.

LOL, you were just eagerly waiting to do that after the move, weren't you? :P

Edit to add: The original... The Wrath of Khan is still the best.
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    dont care what any of you think... I loved it.

and it is the biggest grossing Star Trek film, nearly a half a billion dollars to date....so yeah.

JJ definately delivers.

so much that Star Wars even asked him to make one.

I love it when people use big money to call a movie good.

The Phantom Menace raked in huge, huge, HUGE money. Surely with this movie logic, it was a great movie, too.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    when movies make this amount of money, it means people went back to see it again.

that "does indeed" indicate the quality of the movie in the moviegoers opinion. :cool:
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    when movies make this amount of money, it means people went back to see it again.

that "does indeed" indicate the quality of the movie. :cool:

I guess alot of people went back for The Phantom Menace also...
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Phantom menace was an entertaining movie, (obviously it nearly made a billion dollars in sales revenue).

people just love to hate on Jar Jar in retrospect, and base their bias against it solely on that.

I primarily remember Darth Maul...he was baddazz.
    edited August 2013
    For me the film was one I did not hate but did not overly like.. The overall score after my second viewing today (PSN) is still something I wish to point out.

For a scifi action film the film does excel when you don't think about the plot and the notice that for every small character scene the movie bombards you to submission with spectacle and action. For me I found that more annoying than the lense flare. Action itself this time around there was a feeling of tenseness. But the last 20-30 minutes of the film was an amalgamation of half a dozen action movies I have seen including lethal weapon.. Characters I found to be a mixed back when I consider it again... Kirk I thought was good, Spock did not really hate his arc in this film but did not approve of a couple things, Uhura though a stronger presence was not at all progressive, Cumberbatch I thought did well with what he was given but should have been someone else aside from Khan. Perhaps a new augment human giving the hint that Khan was woken up but played by someone else. Admiral Marcus... He was not really threatening but really should have been the villain in this film not Khan. The rest had good bits but did next to nothing in this film..

The death scene was I felt was good but my qualms with it more in lie with build up as it in the end amounts to nothing.

But I did not hate the film. It did a lot visually and some in story and characters for me not to hate it.

So for me as a Star Trek movie it is more of 6.5 out of 10..

Scifi Action film: 7 out of 10.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    good action movie, but no movie for 30+ star trek fans

it's a movie for a new generation of star trek fans, not for the hardcore trekkers. It definately has the power to spark interest into star trek with young folks, but the general over 30 "convention goer" is dissapointed with the lack of lore accuracy and absence of science.

but i think jj abrams was fully aware that he was making a movie for people that were not already sold on star trek...those 10% of movie goers isn't a market to capitalize on anyway.

general audiance has certain expectations, and those were fullfilled.
    during the 2 hours in the cinema i was never bored, which is something i can't say about the rest of all star trek movies.

bringing khan into the film was something to connect the already star trek semi fans that had seen earlier films with the movie...and quite frankly the khan character is one of the most recognised nemesis of the franchise thanks to the "khaaaaaan!!" going viral on the internet.
    was only logical to get this into the movie from a writers and producers point of view...brand recognition!
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Please rate the new movie
    9/10

I like it just as much as TWOK and the other good TOS movies. IMO, it's EASILY better than STV and all the TNG movies.

:cool:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    good action movie, but no movie for 30+ star trek fans
    I really don't understand why people presume to speak for others - Strongly disagree with this implication. I've been a Trek fan since 1975 and liked both the JJ movies.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    same... I was born when ToS was on the air primetime ....

and was very entertained and enjoyed 'rediscovering' the beloved original characters with the latest 2 movies.
    edited August 2013
    4/10

There is a fine line between paying homage to another movie and simply ripping it off. This movie crossed that line.

To me the JJ movies scream "I must make a Star Trek movie. But I don't really want to make a Star Trek movie. So I do everything different. First of all I want an awesome ship like a Star Destroyer! What, there is an older ship I must copy for it to be Star Trek? WTF, it looks like a plastic duck. Okey wait, I'll just add TONS AND TONS AND TONS of lights and moving parts to it!
    Now for a cool alien race I want evil space orcs from HELL!!!! What, I must include Klikons? Kwigwons? Oh Klingons, what the hell are those? God they look horrible, I want orcs in my movie like in LOTR! Okey I'll just make them look like evil space orcs, and call them Klingons!
    Prime Directive? WTH people I can't take all these silly restrictions into consideration when I'm copying...err writing... the script. Okey, tell you what, I'll sacrifice 5 minutes of my movie to show the crew breaking the prime directive! That'll show those Trek fans!"

i.e. I'm not a big fan.
  • Options
    mattack13mattack13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "good action movie, but no movie for 30+ star trek fans

it's a movie for a new generation of star trek fans, not for the hardcore trekkers. It definately has the power to spark interest into star trek with young folks, but the general over 30 "convention goer" is dissapointed with the lack of lore accuracy and absence of science."

As a "30+ star trek fan", I must ask you stick to how you feel about it and let the rest of us speak for ourselves. I've been watching trek since I was a kid (TOS reruns), all the shows, all the movies (though I can't say I've ever done a convention)...

And I have found the last two movies to be a welcome surprise. If lore inaccuracy is the price to be paid for an excuse to write new Kirk and Spock movies, then I'm all for it. I honestly can't get too worked up over any of that, i don't think it's the point of Star Trek.

I'd give STID 8/10. I am not sure how to compare it to the original movies, but I certainly like it better than all the TNG movies.

I do agree that it is the best Star Trek movie for non-trekkers (even my mom and sister liked it), but in no way does that diminish it for me. It manages the tough task of bringing in newcomers and satisfying old fans admirably, IMHO.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    9 / 11 not as good as FC or UC but better than the others.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ... Might buy a cheapo ex-rental copy at some point....

you still buy physical copies ?

that is so 'land-line' .... :P :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    It was very Bro-mantic, being mostly based upon Kirk and Spock's relationship.
    The Klingon patrol officer with the pierced head ridge was very cool.
    Khan was a decent bad-guy, sociopathic enough to help others when it suited his own agenda.
    I didn't like the high-ranking Fed guy willing to kill his own to keep secrets. He made Khan seem almost honorable.
    A sad lack of green chicks.
    The reversal of roles seen in the Wrath of Khan death scene was interesting. McCoy saved Kirk. Guess they wont need Genesis in the next movie.
    It was exciting, for the most part. It almost got too bro-mantic at times for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yes you can; they cost next to nothing and have almost no impact on the overall sales figures for the movie - which is ENTIRELY the point!

I didnt ask if you 'can' .... I asked if you still do.

but never mind...the moment is over. :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    it was a joke about the existence of the way contemporary entertainment mediums are streamed on-demand in the instant access generation ...but ....

....oh never mind.
    edited August 2013
    I am downloading Into Darkness as I wright this.

I'v been waiting to watch this movie for 6 months already, and finally get to, later 2night.:D

Honestly, I dont care what anybody says about the new Trek film. Cause seriously..how bad can it be, its Star Trek for crying out loud. And the villain is Khan...Like WTF!:D Thats Awesome!

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bumblebush wrote: »
    I am downloading Into Darkness as I wright this.

I'v been waiting to watch this movie for 6 months already, and finally get to, later 2night.:D

Honestly, I dont care what anybody says about the new Trek film. Cause seriously..how bad can it be, its Star Trek for crying out loud. And the villain is Khan...Like WTF!:D Thats Awesome!

enjoy ! it's 'blow your mind' action packed that's for sure !

bring lots of popcorn ! :)