test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weapon Types

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
A little shout out to the Cryptic Devs here in regard to weapon damage types.

When facing the Borg, your best bet for weapon type are Disruptor, Plasma or Anti Proton. Phaser also works to a degree, but isn't best suited. Polaron and Tetyron are worthless; at least that's what I've found.

When going up against Tholians, I've found Anti Proton weapons are best used. Most other races you can get by with using Phasers, Disruptors or Plasma Weapons. I suppose you can get some advantage via Tetryon, providing you're packing some heavy Torpedoes ready to make use of the shield drop.

Polaron however, doesn't seem to have much use (except I suppose in PvP?) ~ I don't PvP myself because the system is broken and full of too many whiners; that isn't to discredit everyone who PvP's, just most that I've had experiences with. I'm sure there are some great people out there who enjoy PvP and play it well.

Come Season 8 though, I wouldn't mind seeing other weapon types being more damaging to the Voth than Disruptor, Plasma or Anti Proton. Please make Phasers or Polaron more deadly to the Voth than the standard weapon types.

This then brings me to Torpedoes. Photons, Quantums and Plasma seem to be all that is used. I can't recall ever seeing anyone using Transphasics or Chroniton; and I can see why. I've tried them both and they just don't seem to do justice. Tricobalt Torpedoes are also a washout due to the debuff they were given some time ago. These things are suppose to be high damage yet they were reduced significantly and nobody seems to use them anymore either.

It would be nice for everyone to be able to make use of all the weapons that we've got save for people all using the same. Lets spice it up in time for season 8, shall we?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They can't just make one weapon type better against a specific enemy. Well they could, but they won't. How do you get to the conclusion that Disruptor is faring worse against Tholians than against Borg? There is no basis for that.

Torpedos in general need a balance pass, pretty much everyone with a brain is flying pure energy setups in PvE. Splitting torp and energy weapon tactical consoles makes anything else inefficient.
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    i think its been stated that no enemy is resistant to any certain energy type..

meaning as far as base damage goes, every one is the same.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    How do you get to the conclusion that Disruptor is faring worse against Tholians than against Borg? There is no basis for that.
    I never said that. Read my post again.
    Torpedos in general need a balance pass, pretty much everyone with a brain is flying pure energy setups in PvE. Splitting torp and energy weapon tactical consoles makes anything else inefficient.
    By your logic, there are a lot of brainless people playing PvE. I would instead believe it is the brainless people who don't recognize the difference between weapon types.

Whatever your build, I propose that you outfit it with polaron weapons and take it into an STF. Tell me that you fared equally as well with your Polaron Weaponry than you did your Plasma/Phaser/Disruptor/Anti Proton ~ I bet you're using one of those energy types as we speak.
    aarons9 wrote: »
    i think its been stated that no enemy is resistant to any certain energy type.
    I beg to differ. I recall taking my Galor into Tau Dewa and fighting Hirogen. I can't remember whether it was the Tetryon Weapons or the Compressor Weapons (I tried both); but one fared considerably well against Hirogen ships compared to the other.
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    When facing the Borg, your best bet for weapon type are Disruptor, Plasma or Anti Proton. Phaser also works to a degree, but isn't best suited. Polaron and Tetyron are worthless; at least that's what I've found.

I use Polaron weapons and they are not worthless. With 9 points in Flow Capacitors and also using Plasmonic Leech along with those Polaron weapons their a many times I have drained enough power from Borg Spheres that their shields drop for multiple seconds allowing me and others getting some good shots in before their shields go back up. Their are times that the same thing happens with Borg Cubes but it is more rare and their shields are down for a shorter time.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I never said that. Read my post again.

You say Disruptor are "your best bet" against Borg, but AP are better against Tholians. Read your own post. Again, what do you base that on?
    By your logic, there are a lot of brainless people playing PvE.

Oh you only realize that now? That's a good one.

Whatever your build, I propose that you outfit it with polaron weapons and take it into an STF. Tell me that you fared equally as well with your Polaron Weaponry than you did your Plasma/Phaser/Disruptor/Anti Proton ~ I bet you're using one of those energy types as we speak.

Now read MY post again. I never said that the energy types are equal. I said there is no inherent bonus against specific enemies. All damage is equal, the only difference is the procs. And some are more useful than others. That is the difference and I never disputed that.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,994 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On my fed, I go with the traditional phaser and photon combo, has not let me down yet.

I've played with different torp types and I find photons have the edge as they have a much quicker reload time and and they pack a punch.

Phasers, well again they are very good, great for all purposes.

Also I'm a traditionalist with my loadouts.

On my Klingon alts, Disruptors and photons all the way.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      OP have you any solid research for your supposed facts with .

because i can tell you now my polaron broadsiding cruisers with a power leach build works wonders on anything i find.
    • Options
      azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      You say Disruptor are "your best bet" against Borg, but AP are better against Tholians. Read your own post. Again, what do you base that on?

He is probably using the Sonic AP.

Though we have the Devs comment a long time ago that Cryo weaponry are effective on Tholians, and appears so. But they are somewhat resistant to plasma weaponry.

And in Colony Invasion, I noticed the Breen and Undine are nicely vulnerable to flamethrowers.
    • Options
      edited August 2013
      With 9 points in Flow Capacitors and also using Plasmonic Leech along with those Polaron weapons their a many times I have drained enough power from Borg Spheres that their shields drop for multiple seconds allowing me and others getting some good shots in before their shields go back up.
      Would you get a better result using a different energy type though? I'd say so.
      I said Disruptors, Anti Proton AND Plasma are your best bet against Borg. I never said only Disruptors. As per the Anti Proton against Tholian, I've based that on personal experience. See:
      Like I said, read my post again. :)
      Now read MY post again. I never said that the energy types are equal. I said there is no inherent bonus against specific enemies. All damage is equal, the only difference is the procs. And some are more useful than others. That is the difference and I never disputed that.
      Okay then, lets talk about the procs of various energy types and relate them to my initial... argument.
      bruccy wrote: »
      OP have you any solid research for your supposed facts with.
      The only facts I have are ones I have gathered myself from playing the game.
      bruccy wrote: »
      because i can tell you now my polaron broadsiding cruisers with a power leach build works wonders on anything i find.
      As above, Polaron might work, but would another weapon type do a better job?
    • Options
      shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
      edited August 2013

I said Disruptors, Anti Proton AND Plasma are your best bet against Borg. I never said only Disruptors. As per the Anti Proton against Tholian, I've based that on personal experience. See:Like I said, read my post again. :)

Okay then, lets talk about the procs of various energy types and relate them to my initial... argument.

The only facts I have are ones I have gathered myself from playing the game.

I find a combo of phased polaron with the plasmonic leech, subsyst attack, tricobalt torp, subspace integration circuit, boarding party, nadeon detonator, viral matrix and energy siphon to be a Blammo combo for the borg. They don't do a whole lot when they have no power or crew!!!
      tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
      lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
      edited August 2013

I think polaron and...in general... all leech builds also support the rest of your team (speaking for stf's). Low power on enemys keeps your team alive. And if you could see my all tetryon turret carrier...even the "TRIBBLE" tetryon weapons are very usefull.

I have ships with every energy type and the only difference i see are the procs...sure some procs are better than others, but the difference is so minimal that no matter what weapon i choose..pve is still a faceroll most of the time.
    • Options
      nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Tetryon consoles are cheaper.

If you can't afford purple XII consoles for antiproton/disruptor, but you can for tetryon, the extra dps will far outstrip any proc effects given the chances. And tetryon's shield dmg proc isn't useless like polaron proc, just think of it as half a proc.

Not necessarily true for phaser and plasma. Threat scaling science consoles add dmg to plasma, and phaser proc can't be measured in dps.

Polaron is the only one truly useless. The proc doesn't have nearly enough effect to make a viable leech build alone. It's still the pets from the carrier doing the work, the weapon proc have no noticeable effect.
    • Options
      z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      I have never used tetryon at all, like most sheep i went straight for AP at end level, after reading this im gonna give them a go.
    • Options
      brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Both polaron and tetryon can be very effective, I've used both against Borg, with maxed flow caps they may as well not have shields, and the energy drain from polarons keeps them decently weak.
      ----
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      2 of my characters primarily use Polaron, simply because it's so damn good. My Sci uses it in conjunction with Energy Siphons and/or Tykens Rifts and on more than one occasion has essentially shut down cubes. With a little help, I've stopped Donatra in her tracks.

My KDF Tac. sometimes uses it (mostly because it's so pretty) to great effect as well. Again, mix in ES and toss a few orion interceptors out and any enemy in the game will struggle to do anything.

I will say, I do normally stick to Disruptor in situations where I have a choice. But I've always maintained (and will continue to) that for an altruistic/Team-friendly approach, Disruptor and Polaron are by far your two best bets.

Now, if only we got Fleet Polarized Disruptor weapons ;)
      edited August 2013

With 2 piece Jem'Hadar set I get a increase in damage for my Polaron weapons. Lower power levels of enemy ships to the point they are shut down for multiple seconds is a very nice. Their have been times with Scatter Volley that multiple Borg Ships have been shut down saving some other players from being killed and allowing me to more quickly kill them as well. Your first claim said Polaron weapons are useless they are not.

Yes Polaron weapons might not have the higest DPS of weapons but it is not always about DPS. Another good thing about Polaron is their stuff is on the cheaper end from the exchange.
    • Options
      farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      I play kinda traditional with my ships. The Fed is phaser with photons and quantums. So far I never had much problem with that set up. With the KDF I have disruptors and photons only. So never had much trouble there either. My Breen ship has poloran with transphasic torpedoes. That ship is a nasty sucker. It will really eat up ships. Specially when I hit the cluster torpedo. That is about it what I use. On my Romulan I went plasma all the way.

Now my ground crew. I use weapons of all kinds of types. So the target get hits with multiple types. Which comes in real handy dealing with the Borg. As they are less chance to adapt to all the different types at once. So at least something is hurting them.
      Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
      Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    • Options
      canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Polaron and Tetyron are worthless

The only condition in which those procs are 'worthless' is when you're fighting floating nanite space-bricks. The rest of the time they're not too bad. What really makes Polaron and Tetryon winners is their low cost. You'll pay far less in tactical console outfitting costs to field a Polaron or Tetryon ship than you will for a Disruptor armed ship.
    • Options
      badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      For grins, I set up one of my toons with an Armitage and the mk xii Jem Hadar set and an all Polaron setup. I must say it's quite effective in Elite STFS. I would likely swap out the shield to an elite or Advanced Fleet shield if I were to even try to PvP with it.
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      Another perc of using Polaron is that you can get Dominion Polaron weapons from a story mission. It's pretty much free. You just have to do the last mission in the 4800 series repeatedly, and try not to die.... It's not easy to do that without dying. Especially if two of the Jem Dreads sandwich you with TBR....
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
      edited August 2013
      I like synergy... well not the word, I hate the word but the essence of synergy, that is what I like.

On my Recluse I run Polarized-Disruptor hybrids. I'll give a short rundown of what my carrier has.

250+ flow caps.
      Leech console drains target power and buffs mine.
      Omega Tetryon Glider drains shields.
      Innate Subsystem Targeting for power level debuff and chance of disable subsystem.
      Energy Siphon sci boffs, drains target power and buffs mine.
      Pol proc debuffs power levels
      Dis proc debuffs hull res - benifits my hangar pets and team/allies.

Even if I were using normal polaron weapons, high energy drains on my target means they move slower meaning lower defense, have lower shield power and less shield regen (lol for PVE I Know), have lower weapon power and do less damage.

People may think certain procs are worthless, if you can build to support a weapon type that you use, they can all be equally as good. It's not what you use, it's how you use it.