test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A plea to the developers - Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher

calintane753calintane753 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
When I think about my cruiser the word "fast" isn't the first word that I'd associate with the ship, nevertheless at half impulse the cruiser is almost as fast as a volley of hyper-plasma torpedoes.
Not to mention the Borg Spheres: the carousel of a Sphere chased by a dozen of torpedoes is a fairly common (and somewhat funny) view in K.A.S.E. and I.S.E..
I know that the torpedoes are nasty, I know that the torpedoes choose a new target if the intended target meanwhile is destroyed, etc. etc.

But...

Can the developers do something about the speed of the Romulan Hyper-Plasma torpedoes when they are fired "normally" (that is without High-Yield or Spread) ?
I don't know... Increase the speed in the first seconds of the flight? Boost the speed when the torpedo is close to the target? Start with a lower speed but with a positive acceleration for the whole flight?
As stated: I don't know.
But a missile that is slower than its launcher is a weird missile indeed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2013
    Isn't this what the romulan or reman set are for, speeding up torps?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You ever notice that /every/ heavy ship in KASE is using the same Romulan torpedoes? That means its OP already. Being slow is part of the balance, and just by looking at their relative popularity I'd say its not enough of a detriment.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You ever notice that /every/ heavy ship in KASE is using the same Romulan torpedoes? That means its OP already. Being slow is part of the balance, and just by looking at their relative popularity I'd say its not enough of a detriment.

That is because being slow isn't exactly a detriment.

When one fires a spread and a moderate amount of spam is around (enemy fighters/mines/etc) you tend to get a ton of them bunched up and then all 9 slam into a single target.

If anything they should speed up the torpedoes but remove the auto retarget effect that makes them as good as they are.
  • calintane753calintane753 Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've no problems to trade "something" for speed.
    Damage, rate of fire, accuracy...

And no, if I remember well the Reman/Romulan set increases only the speed of a Plasma High-Yield.
  • seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You ever notice that /every/ heavy ship in KASE is using the same Romulan torpedoes? That means its OP already.

...Even if you don't want the Torpedo(Lord knows I don't so much-doesn't work well with Broadside), you'd want the 3-piece which enhances the Experimental Beam. Since you're 'stuck' with it, why not use it? Besides which, you can't get the 2-piece Plasma energy boost before Tier 5 without it. Minor though it may be, it's still a boost.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    Isn't this what the romulan or reman set are for, speeding up torps?

It only speeds up High Yield Torps not the normal shots and even then it does it poorly and is an absolutely horrible set to use beyond that.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    It only speeds up High Yield Torps not the normal shots and even then it does it poorly and is an absolutely horrible set to use beyond that.

Well, the engines do grant an excellent boost to starship maneuvers and the shields look super pretty...
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Slow torp is slow. You want a fast torp, mount a Quantum.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Used correctly this is a beast of a torp. It just requires a little forward planning and knowing the enemies.
  • syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tractor beams and/or danubes are your friends, find a way to incorporate 1 or even two and it'll be easier.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • ga1enga1en Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cloaked tractor mines + mine dispersal skill = win