test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

fleet alert and scimitar

jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
The scimitar that arrives at the last wave of a fleet alert makes it an instant loss, the ship needs to be dealt with so there is a challenge for a pug team instead of impossible. It cloaks 3 times and fires its thalaron weapon each time. 3 times firing the thalaron and the mission fails.

Possible changes:
1. Bring back the old boss ship. Preferable.
2. Remove its thalaron weapon for this event. Second best choice.
3. Remove its cloaking ability for this event. Probably wouldnt help.
"I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
Post edited by jetwtf on

Comments

• Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    The scimitar that arrives at the last wave of a fleet alert makes it an instant loss, the ship needs to be dealt with so there is a challenge for a pug team instead of impossible. It cloaks 3 times and fires its thalaron weapon each time. 3 times firing the thalaron and the mission fails.

Possible changes:
    1. Bring back the old boss ship. Preferable.
    2. Remove its thalaron weapon for this event. Second best choice.
    3. Remove its cloaking ability for this event. Probably wouldnt help.

Hmm, when the scim is building up the th pulse, push it out of the way with repulsors, pull back to 7k to limit it's cloaking trigger and blast away. You're pug milage may vary.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, the 'boss' Scimitar can still be attacked whilst it's charging it's pulse - and best to behind or beneath the pulse anyway.

And out of those changes you state:

1: No need to do this - the Scimitar makes sense as a boss ship; they just need to limit it's ability to spam it's cloak as often as it does whilst the timer is ticking.
    2: No need - just need to limit it spamming it's cloaking device.
    3: As above.

Agreed. The boss Scimitar needs to work the same as playable Scimitars, i.e the same CD on the cloak, or even slightly longer, and it would be good. Maybe add the 3 minute CD on it's thalaron attack aswell...
  • Options
    kublakhan81kublakhan81 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I believe, but not certain, that if you stay 5km (or more) from the final ship, it won't cloak, giving you a chance to beat it.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The 5 km rule no longer applies, as Cryptic changed it some patches ago. range no longer matters, it can cloak when it wants to, wich is a pain in the nacelles...
  • Options
    canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem is the no-can-prevent cloak. If you don't have SUPREME burst DPS on your team, the time spent under cloak will cause you to fail on the time limit.
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Haha... ! :D it is a bxtch to beat. As for "the rule" seems it has a small % chance of cloaking when it likes but will normally always do it when your right on it. If anything they jus made it a smarter AI, not dumber.

As for Fleet Alert it's self... Yeahh, mann, it will go axross to the other side so much -just eats up your time. Sadly the "disable cloaking ability" from tractor beams won't/don't work on that thing though I'm sure it does. Sure works on us

-V
  • Options
    pokinatchapunxpokinatchapunx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are you saying the Thalaron pulse is destroying the base? I haven't been having any real problems with them. The fleet alert is definitely more challenging now though.

What I've been doing - 5DHC Charal - is aggroing the scim and then mopping up the other ships first so they don't attack the base. Then once the other ships are down I finish off the scimitar. I also try to get the scimitar to turn away from the base and target me. It's what seems to work for me anyway. Obviously, I just have to make sure to not let the scimitar hit me with the thalaron burst.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This problem is persistent. It would be different if you could prevent the cloak like normal, for instance, with Eject Warp Plasma. The fact that it can cloak at will and will cloak for any reason pretty much makes it insanely difficult to kill in the time limit.

I've never been in a team that pulled it off.

Very annoying. Mopped the floor with Donatra before, the difference being there's no time limit on her.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,875 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why reviving another thread to make this point:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=752661

Kinda of rid to see two threads talking about the same issue....please spare us :eek:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    gsdgdshgdshfgdsjgsdgdshgdshfgdsj Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This boss can and is usually beaten when I've faced it.

The main thing you need to remember is that the entire group needs to make the boss the priority target as soon as it spawns. All other targets are secondary. Frankly this applies for all of the bosses in fleet alerts but the scimitar in particular.
    If you leave the scimitar to blow up the lesser ships first then you give the boss that much more time to cloak and use up the timer. Most of the lesser ships will die if the scimitar stays near them due to area attacks but even if they dont you can mop them up afterwards.
    The key thing is to realize the boss will cloak and use up your timer no matter what your dps is. If you save the boss for last you risk spending most of your remaining timer sitting around waiting for it to decloak. Better to start on the boss first, hit the other ships with area attacks or prime attacks when the boss cloaks then go back to the boss when it reappears. Keep on the scimitar whenever it is out though.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    This problem is persistent. It would be different if you could prevent the cloak like normal, for instance, with Eject Warp Plasma. The fact that it can cloak at will and will cloak for any reason pretty much makes it insanely difficult to kill in the time limit.

I've never been in a team that pulled it off.

Very annoying. Mopped the floor with Donatra before, the difference being there's no time limit on her.

It can be done, but it usually takes a team that can put out some pretty high burst DPS in the short windows when it's not cloaked..... I've been on matches 4 times where we've beaten it. But it does come off as noticable harder than, well.... any other enemies on fleet alert.