test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improvements to make the KDF a happy faction

rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
Below are 2 lists, each improving the KDF's feeling of being a worthy faction. Note the word improving, this is different than creating.

Easy to implement:
This entire list will improve missions and minor issues. Implementing this should only take a single patch.
== Cardassian missions ==
- Update ground Cardassian encounter's text to make sure KDF warriors are no longer referenced to as Starfleet
- Provide a little more background story as to why the KDF is helping Cardassians, despite there being a treaty that made them a Federation Protectorate, so ad odds with the KDF

== General ==
- Make a small reduction of NPC's in Qo'nos: First City. For those who play on slightly older computers (such as myself) the lag in First City is horrible, compared to places as Ganalda.
- Allow KDF some more costume options, such as females having skirts, along with different hair styles. These could be copied from existing Federation and Romulan tailor options.

More technical to implement:
This list will take some more time to work on, but is doable.
- Give the KDF a ship having 5 forward weapon slots. Its the only faction without access to this feature
- A new KDF only Starbase. Fed has ESD, K-7 and 39-Sierra, which are all spread out. Next to that they have Memory Alpha. Romulans have everything fed/kdf has, along with the Flotilla AND New Romulus Command. KDF has only Qo'Nos and Ganalda.

If anybody else has some ideas, feel free to propose them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since LoR the kdf is pretty happy.
    We need more ships, yeah, but in reality, cryptic doesnt want our money so we are happy with that.

From now on, content should be faction neutral.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    We need more ships, yeah, but in reality, cryptic doesnt want our money so we are happy with that.

What do you mean by faction neutral-that the pop-up dialog boxes are geared towards one faction or several? Specify. Because if someone from Cryptic is going in and tailoring the missions to be appropriate to each faction's storyline, then those missions aren't faction neutral anymore. Moreover, what's the point of playing STO if it's going to be so bland that playing one faction over another makes no difference?

Faction neutral to me sounds like a euphemism for faction specific tidbits sprinkled over mediocre storytelling.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

It really shouldn't. Cryptic took the lazy way out with copying and pasting the Cardassian and Mirror episodes onto the KDF and Romulans, and it was downright laughable. Taking that road going forward would be just as lazy and uninspired.
  • deklak1deklak1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    if they just give the Kar'fi battle carrier and guramba siege destroyer away.
    in the give away week then they have 3 problems resolved.

problem resolved 1 : more kdf players on kdf pve's.
    problem resolved 2 : higher damage on stf's
    problem resolved 3 : and total more players at kdf side :)

hope that the pwe team this read.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    deklak1 wrote: »
    if they just give the Kar'fi battle carrier and guramba siege destroyer away.
    in the give away week then they have 3 problems resolved.
    Gold players with the 600-day Vet Reward - or LTS players - can claim the Guramba with it if they wish to have it. There needs to be some benefits to being Gold in the game. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the one thing qo'nos needs
    is fleet starbase buildings in orbit around qo'nos
    to look more like an empire.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Below are 2 lists, each improving the KDF's feeling of being a worthy faction. Note the word improving, this is different than creating.

Easy to implement:
    This entire list will improve missions and minor issues. Implementing this should only take a single patch.
    == Cardassian missions ==
    - Update ground Cardassian encounter's text to make sure KDF warriors are no longer referenced to as Starfleet
    - Provide a little more background story as to why the KDF is helping Cardassians, despite there being a treaty that made them a Federation Protectorate, so ad odds with the KDF

== General ==
    - Make a small reduction of NPC's in Qo'nos: First City. For those who play on slightly older computers (such as myself) the lag in First City is horrible, compared to places as Ganalda.
    - Allow KDF some more costume options, such as females having skirts, along with different hair styles. These could be copied from existing Federation and Romulan tailor options.

More technical to implement:
    This list will take some more time to work on, but is doable.
    - Give the KDF a ship having 5 forward weapon slots. Its the only faction without access to this feature
    - A new KDF only Starbase. Fed has ESD, K-7 and 39-Sierra, which are all spread out. Next to that they have Memory Alpha. Romulans have everything fed/kdf has, along with the Flotilla AND New Romulus Command. KDF has only Qo'Nos and Ganalda.

for the space stations. well we are not as big as the federation is just look at game map, no place to really put the dang thing. but the feds also have a few friendly planets they can access. again we are not as big so while this would be nice gesture I don't think I really care one way or the other about it.

fix the mission script yes. I played them one time and haven't gone back because of them calling me a fed. LOL

for the 5 fore weapon slots I really do not want to be like the others. I think a single vertical weapon slot with a 360 arc is more fitting for a warrior race/faction that we could put any torpedo or missile system into that slot and change its arc from what ever it is to 360. just add a new box center hull for it.

I would really like to see a hand to hand combat arena on 1st city, the academy and one on kdf starbases ( possibly in holodeck ) that was not a separate zone so friends and or fleet makes could stand around and actually compete not to kill each other just a good beat down to decide a winner. much like on farkus just when ever a player crossed the invisible line of the ring they would be attackable. go outside the line and no combat allowed.

Klingons are supposed to be a warrior race let us act like it. if we have maurader skills to unlock fed space we should be able to attack the red feddy freighters flying around. beat their shields down then board the ship and ransack containers for what ever random loot we can find. then beam out and send them on their way. disrupting enemy supply lines is key to warefare.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Provide the KDF with a Gorn only ability/emote.

The ability to throw rocks/giant objects in missions (see thread in KDF Gameplay Forum) or an emote that lets you throw random players/npc across the map.

I mean the NPC Gorn already have this ability, the Gorn players need it!
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    replace FvK and KvK queus with RvB pvp queues.
    Allow more cross-faction FAs
    edited August 2013
    havam wrote: »
    replace FvK and KvK queus with RvB pvp queues.
    Allow more cross-faction FAs

I don't want to fight with the feds I want to kill them, they are supposed to be the enemy.

• havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    KDF queues need fixed still, LoR bumped characters down to level 1, but the Fleet Action STF's all start at level 22 for the KDF, a considerable handicap. Meanwhile Starfleet can begin fleet actions at level 2.

For all the cry about wanting more KDF content, I think most of us would settle for making the content we have actually work.

I direct you to the thread maintained by bootyboots here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=757541
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Faction neutral to me sounds like a euphemism for faction specific tidbits sprinkled over mediocre storytelling.

I have to agree with knuhteb5. The faction-neutral Featured Episode series were a necessary approach during the dark days when the STO team was severely understaffed, and the Cardassian mission conversion was a pragmatic way to fill out the KDF level progression (in addition to the new, original KDF missions).

However, the faction-neutral stories drain the soul from the game. The 2800 storyline is probably the worst offener for KDF players, with the story tying itself in knots to explain why the KDF would take orders from Starfleet, and why Starfleet would allow Klingon officers access to their Top Secret prison facility. It's awkward, it's not compelling, and we all know Cryptic can do better.

Faction-neutral content like anything in the PvE queue is more acceptable to me.
    icsairguns wrote: »
    for the space stations. well we are not as big as the federation is just look at game map, no place to really put the dang thing. but the feds also have a few friendly planets they can access. again we are not as big so while this would be nice gesture I don't think I really care one way or the other about it.
    In my opinion, the territorial Galaxy Map is misleading. There's no way any of the factions in the game could control the interstellar space between systems. A more accurate depiction would be a galaxy of neutral black, dotted with coloured "islands" surrounding the systems each faction controls. In my opinion, the KDF should absolutely have some sort of deep space outpost in or near Romulan space, and probably in Cardassian space as well.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited August 2013
    We do need to be realistic here. Cryptic seems to find it difficult to create 1 new mission in a relatively timely manner: say once every 6 months. The idea that they would need to create 3 different missions - one per Faction - seems almost ludicrous in comparison. The best we can hope for are neutral missions that also take into account each Faction's individual needs - and hopefully do it a little better then most of the current neutral missions do it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    We do need to be realistic here. Cryptic seems to find it difficult to create 1 new mission in a relatively timely manner: say once every 6 months. The idea that they would need to create 3 different missions - one per Faction - seems almost ludicrous in comparison. The best we can hope for are neutral missions that also take into account each Faction's individual needs - and hopefully do it a little better then most of the current neutral missions do it.

I agree with you from a pragmatic standpoint, but IMO there may as well not be any factions in that case.

An interesting approach would be to bring back the featured series, commit to cranking out three series per year, and making each series exclusive to one faction. Everybody gets one series per year, and the stories would have a more distinctive voice.

This would be a tremendous undertaking, but I'd be thrilled to see it happen.

Edit: Let's also keep in mind how much bigger the STO team is since the Dark Days.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • matixzonmatixzon Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think for Space Stations Pi Canis would be a good place, Isn't it considered Klingon space in Romulan missions, anyway?
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
    edited August 2013
    matixzon wrote: »
    I think for Space Stations Pi Canis would be a good place, Isn't it considered Klingon space in Romulan missions, anyway?

It is considered Klingon space, but IMO it's too close to Qo'noS to be useful (Ganalda and SB39 have the same problem). I think a remote outpost in Psi Velorum or Alpha Centauri would be nice.
    edited August 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Edit: Let's also keep in mind how much bigger the STO team is since the Dark Days.
    While the team might be bigger now, it's also doing many more things - such as planning and implementing a new Expansion Pack, creating new Rep systems, etc. So the team has gone from 20 to 50 but all 50 aren't only working on what the 20 were once doing. :)
    edited August 2013
    While the team might be bigger now, it's also doing many more things - such as planning and implementing a new Expansion Pack, creating new Rep systems, etc. So the team has gone from 20 to 50 but all 50 aren't only working on what the 20 were once doing. :)

Very true, but they unquestionably have the resources to focus on faction-specific storytelling if they choose to.

The bottom line for my preferences is that if story is going to be a priority for the game, faction-neutral isn't going to work. If the focus is going to be on content that everyone can play, the current story-lite fleet actions, and anything from the PvE queues are the way to go.
    edited August 2013
    Very true, but they unquestionably have the resources to focus on faction-specific storytelling if they choose to.

The bottom line for my preferences is that if story is going to be a priority for the game, faction-neutral isn't going to work. If the focus is going to be on content that everyone can play, the current story-lite fleet actions, and anything from the PvE queues are the way to go.
    I guess from my perspective, having been here since the beginning of Closed Beta, I've never seen the focus of STO to be on the story. The focus has always been on the least amount of content to sell the most amount of C-Store items. :)

I don't disagree that it would be great to get Faction-specific missions. I think it's just an unreasonable goal. It's just too easily to make a neutral mission with some different text then it is compared to needing to make 3 different missions to help the "story" - especially since the story is primarily just a bunch of random foes hating on everyone with a lot of plots that never go anywhere. :)
    edited August 2013
    Unlikely =/= Unreasonable
    edited August 2013

In my opinion, the territorial Galaxy Map is misleading. There's no way any of the factions in the game could control the interstellar space between systems. A more accurate depiction would be a galaxy of neutral black, dotted with coloured "islands" surrounding the systems each faction controls. In my opinion, the KDF should absolutely have some sort of deep space outpost in or near Romulan space, and probably in Cardassian space as well.

ok then open up khitomer as a outpost or even nerenda 3 both were supposed to be kdf colony worlds. and im fine with it. one way or the others. not that it matters if im fine with it just saying.

• sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    However, the faction-neutral stories drain the soul from the game. The 2800 storyline is probably the worst offener for KDF players, with the story tying itself in knots to explain why the KDF would take orders from Starfleet, and why Starfleet would allow Klingon officers access to their Top Secret prison facility. It's awkward, it's not compelling, and we all know Cryptic can do better.

I think a certain degree of suspension of disbelief is needed from time to time to enjoy the game for what it is. I remember in one fleet action the mission text saying the enemy is sending their fleet in in eight bite-sized manageable chunks instead of one massive overwhelming fleet to reduce the potential number of ships they have to commit to the engagement or something similarly unpractical and stupid. For that matter, right at the start of the game you're told that the borg just happened to kill all the commissioned officers on all the decks of the ship leaving you the ensign as the ranking officer to take command, but all the other enlisted personal needed to run your Miranda made it out just fine. For that matter, Starfleets explanation for allowing an entire bridge crew, captain, first officer and all to go on all the away missions is similarly ridiculous. Sometimes you just have to roll with it for the sake of the game. :)
    edited August 2013
    I believe you can have missions run entirely the same course, with the exact same outcome, but still be able to phrase it in such a way that the experience feels relative.

The 'unisex' missions on STO don't even try. They are blatantly Fed missions, many of which openly speak of you as Fed player, whilst running a KDF char. It's lazy, copy/paste, which deserves to be called out for what it is.
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited August 2013
    Given the Klingon tutorial, some of the best missions ingame, a lot of powerful ships and most content being faction agnostic...

... the KDF is already damn fine. In fact I would say the Federation leveling experience now pales in comparison.

It's still 2nd rate for most players who play Klingons as alts, as 2nd fiddle.
    But that is a matter of perception.

Most players simply play FEDs most of the time, the amount of content for the KDF is by now excellent. The general perception of players as the KDF being "underdeveloped" reminds me of another game where the "Horde" was perceived to be 2nd fiddle, and was still considered 2nd rate at the time it had surpassed the "Alliance" already.
    edited August 2013
    longasc wrote: »
    Given the Klingon tutorial, some of the best missions ingame, a lot of powerful ships and most content being faction agnostic...

... the KDF is already damn fine. In fact I would say the Federation leveling experience now pales in comparison.

It's still 2nd rate for most players who play Klingons as alts, as 2nd fiddle.

Most players simply play FEDs most of the time, the amount of content for the KDF is by now adequate.

Ftfy.

Being an equivalent faction in a RvB game, 4 years after launch is hardly excellent, by any stretch of relativity.

KDF is much improved, no doubt. But it's still not the Fed experience, because, as documented, that's not where the money is.

Nobody is saying that's right or wrong. It is, imo unfortunate.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I disagree that content should be only faction neutral. well not all of it. while i'd like to see them pump out loads of faction neutral stuff, I would still like to see some faction only content now and again. maybe a 75%-25%split.

maybe a faction neutral series could be 5 episodes. but a faction only feature series could be 2-3 episodes.

I think that would be easily manageable. also with faction only stories you really are able to progress their story more and develop their identity in the game.
    content for all struggles to do that.

kdf stuff to make me happier well..... I would like to see this much talked about new negh'var that's meant to be coming. why do these things take so long?!?! seriously we have playable elachi ships coming today. they've been added very quickly to the game!
    yet this new negh'var has been talked about for a very long time now. it's actually a bit of a slap in the face to the kdf.

i'd like to see a k'vort bop. i'd like to see the fleet b'rel cost less than 5 fleet modules. also I want to see more fleet version of other kdf ships.(really how difficult is this?)
    come on some of them are well overdue.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Gold players with the 600-day Vet Reward - or LTS players - can claim the Guramba with it if they wish to have it. There needs to be some benefits to being Gold in the game. :)

Hold on.

I thought KDF could only claim the B'rel or Kar'fi with the VA token? Did that change at some point?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Defeat in the war and then they can be happy space socialists like the rest of us =p

seriously cryptic should engage in discussion with the player base and listen to ideas put forward . lots of good stuff that kdf players have asked for have been ignored . KDF needs some development time . im not the best at thinking what would be best for kdf but alot of dedicated kdf players are
    edited August 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Hold on.

I thought KDF could only claim the B'rel or Kar'fi with the VA token? Did that change at some point?
    Maybe it is the Kar'fi rather then then Garumba. I know they can get one of the two ships the OP listed. I only have 1 level 50 KDF and I don't remember which one I picked. :)
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To get back to topic.

Yes. LoR was awesome to the KDF. New missions, finally a decent (epic) tutorial, new ships, all awesome.

There are just some minor things left to improve and then the KDF can truly call itself an equal faction to the Federation, except for having less endgame ZEN ships (although the ones we have, are more powerful than any Federation ship (maybe except for Excelsior, I love those)).

This thread wasn't created to be criticizing in any way, simply to keep Cryptic doing the great job they are doing already.

Would update thread's name to be Happier instead of Happy, but guess that's not gonna happen. Maybe a Forum Mod could do this. Otherwise I would.