test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omega or Romulan Torpedo Launcher?

valinsterlingvalinsterling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Federation Discussion
I'm getting to the point with my Engineering captain, captaining an Ops Odyssey, where I'll start spending marks to get better gear soon. Torps are definitely part of its build, so the question is, which would be better - Romulan Hyper-Plasma Torpedo Launcher or Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher? I'm really not happy presently with the damage output of my quantums, even with HY2

I primarily do STFs these days, but I'm also still cutting through the quest content.

I'm leaning toward the Romulan launcher because I use plasma weapons already and I intend to get the 3-piece set (Singularity Harness, launcher, and experimental beam array), but I haven't been able to find a video where I can differentiate the two types of launcher. I basically don't want to be stuck with firing torpedoes that will be extremely slow as both the normal and high yield versions.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance. :)
Post edited by valinsterling on

Comments

• Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Romulan plasma torpedo launcher, I have heard, is good in conjunction with the other two for a burn build. The Omega torp launcher by itself is cool, but also gives benefits when in 2pc and 3pc sets.

Personally, because the 3pc Omega set offers a good defensive mechanism, I would go with that. However, if you're looking for burn builds, the Romulan Torp might be the one for you.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    keep in mind the romulan torps are SLOW. Typically on my valdore I have the borg pretty much killed before the torps get to them. But the plasma bonus on the cannons is nice.
  • Options
    doctormerkindoctormerkin Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    what puts me off the omega torp is that its consumed on use after 5 uses or somthing:confused:
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Omega torp does relatively low per-volley damage, but a short 1-second cooldown that gives it a high DPS value if you can maintain constant fire rate. Very effective if you put it on a ship that is always facing the target and treat it like a forward cannon, its like a big gun that doesnt use any energy. But if you put it on a beam boat that is having to use broadside attacks, you are going to lose a lot of opportunity shots because the launcher will be out of arc most of the time.

Conversely, the Romulan torp lets you fire 3 shots at each opportunity. It is a very good fit for beam boats, since you can broadside and then turn the nose towards the target during the beam cooldown window, fire off a triple-shot of romulan torps, then twist back into broadsiding. The romulan torps also work on ships that face forward and you see it used a lot on heavy ships with purple projectile officers, so that the cooldown window is minimized, allowing for a constant stream of plasma torps, but this is kind of difficult to manage on fast-moving ships but works great on carriers.
  • Options
    doresainbanedoresainbane Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    what puts me off the omega torp is that its consumed on use after 5 uses or somthing:confused:

No, it just takes 6 seconds to recharge each use. Not consumed on use.
  • Options
    doctormerkindoctormerkin Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thanx for the clarification dude...:)
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Omega is medium speed, low damage and high yield creates a slow moving high damage targetable torp.

Romulan fires three slow moving targetable torps that do medium damage, high yield creates high damage slow moving targetables. Torp spread creates 6 torps that will change target if their current one pops

If your getting one, get the rom torp, NPCs don't tend to shoot them down unless they are their only viable target.

Quantum>>>omega...after your slavo if 6 torps with the omega, it is terrible
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited August 2013
    The Omega is low damage, but very high plasma DOT. If you have embassy Sci consoles, they get a boost from each one.

But the high rate of fire could be a problem if you have more than one torpedo on your ship.

I had to swap it for a Romulan Hyper-Plasma torpedo after I was having problems with my other torpedoes firing on my B'rel torpedo boat.
  • Options
    valinsterlingvalinsterling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Awesome advice guys! This is really helping me out and I appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would definitely go with the Hyper Plasma if you're building a beam boat! Whats nice about it is if you start to launch your torps and leave the torpedo's arc it still launches the other two.
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I run both torpedoes... Omega front, Hyper-plasma rear, with High Yield Torpedo3.

Here are some quick notes:

1) The Omega Torpedo is currently the hardest hitting torpedo when it connects using HYT3 against exposed hulls. I frequently see 160k criticals, occasionally followed by "WTF was that???" if the target was another player.

2) The Romulan Hyperplasma torpedo scores roughly 20k damage per torpedo with HYT3. It is excellent in CCE and ESTF's vs. stationary structures.

3) The Omega Torpedo is an excellent burst-weapon when used with DHC's front since it can shoot 2 torpedoes per second. This quickly drops plasma fire stacks on any given target.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    I run both torpedoes... Omega front, Hyper-plasma rear, with High Yield Torpedo3.

Here are some quick notes:

1) The Omega Torpedo is currently the hardest hitting torpedo when it connects using HYT3 against exposed hulls. I frequently see 160k criticals, occasionally followed by "WTF was that???" if the target was another player.

2) The Romulan Hyperplasma torpedo scores roughly 20k damage per torpedo with HYT3. It is excellent in CCE and ESTF's vs. stationary structures.

3) The Omega Torpedo is an excellent burst-weapon when used with DHC's front since it can shoot 2 torpedoes per second. This quickly drops plasma fire stacks on any given target.

Indeed, the Omega Plasma Torp with HYT with the resulting "Energy Bolt" hits very hard. It is best used in close range but not so close that you take Splash Damage. To get used to this, one can practice with regular Plasma Torps for an idea on how to use them, if you do not have the Omega Plasma yet.

Enhanced Battle Cloaked ships (T'Varo, B'Rel) are actually quite good in sneaking in these shots under cloak.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use both facing fore with high yield. Omega torps are 'broken', they don't consume charges, so they fire every second. Combines with purple projectile doffs, you will have lots of plasma flying at all times. I also have plasma cannons, so that's 3 flavors of plasma burn before my scorpions come into play.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    omega.
    rom torp is so slow even the borg outrun it.

Quantum>omega

3 omegas=1 quantum

By the time you fire 6 omegas you will be about to fire the 2nd quantum. Then you have to wait 6 seconds for the games worst torp or 8 seconds for the games most well rounded one

If you are using projectile doffs, quantum just gets pushed so ridiculously ahead of omega it is laughable.

If the only modifier is high yield 3, omega yields bigger crits, but quantums are just more consistent

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    I run both torpedoes... Omega front, Hyper-plasma rear

When I ran both Omega Weapons & Rommie experimental weapons, I ran the inverse, Rommie fore, Omega aft...

Reason being: Omega has a 5 charge magazine, that takes 6 seconds to reload one charge. Therefore, after the first 6 second "burst", I was unable to refill the magazine unless I had a 30 second window without firing a torp... And the six second charge time is equivalent to a photon...

However, with Omega on the rear, I can spam a string of 3-5 torps over 3-5 seconds, with turrets working on the shield too, so that I land at least 2-4 hull hits and can finish off some of the weaker enemies while rebuilding my forward shield. Then I go back to forward spamming, letting the Omega magazine refill for the next time I need to cut and run...

Part of what makes it work for me is I'm also used to strings of light torpedoes from the aft, back in my SFC days I flew tons of ISC with their Plasma-I (Rear firing Plasma-F for the SFB players). There, too, I would offload a set of torps, occasionally as a finisher, as I rebuilt the #1 shield for the next attack pass...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dareau wrote: »
    When I ran both Omega Weapons & Rommie experimental weapons, I ran the inverse, Rommie fore, Omega aft...

Reason being: Omega has a 5 charge magazine, that takes 6 seconds to reload one charge. Therefore, after the first 6 second "burst", I was unable to refill the magazine unless I had a 30 second window without firing a torp... And the six second charge time is equivalent to a photon...

However, with Omega on the rear, I can spam a string of 3-5 torps over 3-5 seconds, with turrets working on the shield too, so that I land at least 2-4 hull hits and can finish off some of the weaker enemies while rebuilding my forward shield. Then I go back to forward spamming, letting the Omega magazine refill for the next time I need to cut and run...

Part of what makes it work for me is I'm also used to strings of light torpedoes from the aft, back in my SFC days I flew tons of ISC with their Plasma-I (Rear firing Plasma-F for the SFB players). There, too, I would offload a set of torps, occasionally as a finisher, as I rebuilt the #1 shield for the next attack pass...

When using the Omega torp I always make sure I have torp abilities...using a torp ability puts the torp on cooldown so might as well fire four torps and go with a 5th on HY/TS.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dareau wrote: »

Am I the only one here that has figured out the Omega currently has UNLIMITED charges atm? It might say 5 on it, but the counter never runs out as of a couple patches ago. Try putting it on the front, on auto-fire and see what happens. :D
  • Options
    fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that has figured out the Omega currently has UNLIMITED charges atm? It might say 5 on it, but the counter never runs out as of a couple patches ago. Try putting it on the front, on auto-fire and see what happens. :D

When you use Torpedo Spread, after it fires it also puts the frigging launcher on a 9 second cooldown, missing out on about 9,000 kinetic damage had it just been continuously firing during those 9 seconds. Basically it just cut down torpedo spread usefulness in half.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    sonnikku wrote: »

The counter may never change but it will hit a cd

• Options
    edited August 2013
    You only hit a CD if you use a torp boff ability, otherwise you only have a 1 second cycle speed.
  • Options
    jaxinajaxina Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i have to ask, but is it not possible to run both omega and rommie torp in front of a ship?

It seems that when both are mounted in a front slot only the omega torpedo fires, even with both on autofire.

The plasma torps only seems to work when using high yield or torpedo spread, but still the omega fires first.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I use both firing fore, in the right side slots. If you swap which torp is in the far right spot, it will affect which one takes priority for high yield or spread when they are both ready to fire. I have 3 purple doffs, and I have an almost constant stream of rommie plamsa flying.
  • Options
    jaxinajaxina Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    changing the slots didnt help, but guess what i solved the problem :D

i never knew that the order in which you setup the auto-fire is important to.

by accident i deactivated the hyper plasma and the omega and activated them in order plasma and then omega and now both fire.

also tried and reversed it so first omega and then hyper plasma and again the rommie torp wont fire.