test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A new PVP mode suggestion.

ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvP Gameplay
If you've ever played DCUO's PVP, you probably played or have seen the legends PVP mode. In that mode players are able to participate in PVP matches as iconic villains or heroes of that series. Each character has their own set of unique skills and abilities. It got me thinking, why not a similar form like that in STO as a new PVP option?

It could be where players get to choose sides of factions such as the Breen, Undine, Dominion, and so on. Every side would have their own unique ships and skills. This could help get some more people into PVP as it could be a first step into getting use to PVP combat. Seeing how the learning curve is one of the biggest barriers against newcomers. Of course this wouldn't be anywhere close to regular PVP, but again. It's a start.

Another bonus is the ability to play with ships and factions we may never see as a normal playable faction.

If you have suggestions for improvements or even new ideas to add to this, please do add them below.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it would have both normal deathmatch and territory control style games. Both in solo or team play.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
Post edited by ashkrik23 on

Comments

• zensoji1zensoji1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is an element of what we're working on in the PvP Boot Camp Territory Control System.

I can't explain too much without giving stuff away but something that drk has revealed and, therefore, I feel comfortable in sharing, is that in the territory control system, people can represent various factions.

I.e., You're a Klingon Tac with a Jem'hadar Attack Ship. You could either represent the Klingons in a KDF ship or the Dominion in your JAS.

Same thing with Tholians, Breen, Mirror Universe and more.

Also Romulans are a seperate faction in the system :)

I hope this helps you - it might not be EXACTLY what you asked for but at the very least it's a step in the right direction towards creating greater immersion and tonnes more fun in STO PVP.

- Admiral Zenso'ji
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    Vice Admiral of Forum Administration
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, but my suggestion is more than just having us make the factions in player events.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • kolln95kolln95 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Quite a good idea in my oppinion, I play with DCUO as well and have seen the legends PvP. Would be interesting to try out a new variant of PvP. I only see one issue in connection with it. That some of the skills are useless in PvP, and as in the DCUO you get what you get, you cannot choose the skills in the legend mod, but if there one or more skills that are useless then the players will not play with it because of the efficiency is not 100%. Then it is just wasting.

So basically your idea is good, but there must be detailed working on each ships build not to have something useless or worse, like a defiant ship's science BO slot, for instance a science team is useless but a jam sensors or else is rubbish. You know? So this can be a problem.

Please do no take it as an attacking post, I just wanted to show the other way, that how could it be adapted into STO. :)

Hussar Guardian Forces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kolln95 wrote: »
    Quite a good idea in my oppinion, I play with DCUO as well and have seen the legends PvP. Would be interesting to try out a new variant of PvP. I only see one issue in connection with it. That some of the skills are useless in PvP, and as in the DCUO you get what you get, you cannot choose the skills in the legend mod, but if there one or more skills that are useless then the players will not play with it because of the efficiency is not 100%. Then it is just wasting.

So basically your idea is good, but there must be detailed working on each ships build not to have something useless or worse, like a defiant ship's science BO slot, for instance a science team is useless but a jam sensors or else is rubbish. You know? So this can be a problem.

Please do no take it as an attacking post, I just wanted to show the other way, that how could it be adapted into STO. :)
    Oh I remember how bad some of the characters' skill sets could be. It would take a lot of balancing and play testing. Something that's very hard for Cryptic to accomplish.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not going to happen.

If the Dev team can't even find the time to implement a new ground PvP map which already exists, they aren't going to make a map or game mode especially for PvP.

To be honest I suspect PvP is only still in the game because it'd take too much effort to remove it.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse