test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Doctor and the Alternate Universe

steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
No, I'm not kicking off another JJVerse discussion.

During Doctor Who's 10th Doctor's run, there was a storyline about punching through to an alternate universe, foiling that universe's cybermen plot, and eventually getting Rose, her family, the human Doctor and a Tardis seedling to settle into said Alternate Universe.

Hypothetical: The current Doctor Who series sticks to a limit regeneration viewpoint, and closes the book at some point on the story of the Doctor.

Question: Assuming the right production team and actors, would you be interested in a Alternate Universe Doctor Who series?

I'm not talking about bringing David Tennant back, except maybe to kick off the series. Say 10.5, as he's sometimes known, sets off to find the A.U. version of the Doctor, and discovers A.U. Doctor #1. The story then continues with A.U. Doctor #1. Using a classic "timey-wimey" meeting, this could allow two very different looks at a Doctor:

1. Younger Doctor: We'd be able to meet and follow a younger Doctor #1, who may experience events differently to those of the Prime Universe's old gentleman we know and love. For one, he may have a family at first. For another, he may acquire the mark 40 TARDIS in a different fashion.

2. Different People & Personalities: Here's where it gets interesting IMHO: different events means both encountering different companions, and undergoing different regenerations. Doctor #1's moment of regeneration is different, so he no longer become Patrick Troughton, instead he becomes...oh...Peter Dinklage. Doctor #2 does not have his regeneration forced upon him, and #3, never white-haired, is not banished to Earth, and travels with someone other than Jo and Sara. Etc., etc.

So would such a thing appeal to people? Can they form an emotional attachment to an Alternate Universe?
Post edited by steamwright on

Comments

• wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited August 2013

During Doctor Who's 10th Doctor's run, there was a storyline about punching through to an alternate universe, foiling that universe's cybermen plot, and eventually getting Rose, her family, the human Doctor and a Tardis seedling to settle into said Alternate Universe.

Hypothetical: The current Doctor Who series sticks to a limit regeneration viewpoint, and closes the book at some point on the story of the Doctor.

Question: Assuming the right production team and actors, would you be interested in a Alternate Universe Doctor Who series?

I'm not talking about bringing David Tennant back, except maybe to kick off the series. Say 10.5, as he's sometimes known, sets off to find the A.U. version of the Doctor, and discovers A.U. Doctor #1. The story then continues with A.U. Doctor #1. Using a classic "timey-wimey" meeting, this could allow two very different looks at a Doctor:

1. Younger Doctor: We'd be able to meet and follow a younger Doctor #1, who may experience events differently to those of the Prime Universe's old gentleman we know and love. For one, he may have a family at first. For another, he may acquire the mark 40 TARDIS in a different fashion.

2. Different People & Personalities: Here's where it gets interesting IMHO: different events means both encountering different companions, and undergoing different regenerations. Doctor #1's moment of regeneration is different, so he no longer become Patrick Troughton, instead he becomes...oh...Peter Dinklage. Doctor #2 does not have his regeneration forced upon him, and #3, never white-haired, is not banished to Earth, and travels with someone other than Jo and Sara. Etc., etc.

So would such a thing appeal to people? Can they form an emotional attachment to an Alternate Universe?

There already has been an Alternate Universe Doctor Who series. A series of 8 Audio Dramas called Doctor Who: Unbound, 2 of them feature David Warner playing the Doctor http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Masters_of_War_(audio_story)
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I don't think tennants double doctor has a tardis
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    He doesn't. It was mentioned in background of show stuff that he was given a piece of coral from Prime TARDIS so he could grow one, but nothing on screen ever indicated this to be true.

I also remember reading somewhere that regenerations can go on forever. It was a rule installed by Rassilon to stop Timelords literally being immortal that they stop after 13 lives. I don't know how true this is, but if it is, then there goes the need to stop the current show. At least until he gets back to Tranzalore. Which will be an episode we never see, hence the show runs forever.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • kirk201okirk201o Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    He doesn't. It was mentioned in background of show stuff that he was given a piece of coral from Prime TARDIS so he could grow one, but nothing on screen ever indicated this to be true.

I also remember reading somewhere that regenerations can go on forever. It was a rule installed by Rassilon to stop Timelords literally being immortal that they stop after 13 lives. I don't know how true this is, but if it is, then there goes the need to stop the current show. At least until he gets back to Tranzalore. Which will be an episode we never see, hence the show runs forever.

Id like to grow a rose tyler;)
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Isn't this what everyone is complaining about with the new ST series? Let's give the new Doctor a chance to make or break the present series before going off on such a tangent.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    just been getting into Doctor Who. I like it!:)

But sumthing i have noticed is that there is not one movie based on the series.

If im wrong, sorry, Let me no plz!?! would like to watch one.:)

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    edited August 2013
    bumblebush wrote: »
    just been getting into Doctor Who. I like it!:)

But sumthing i have noticed is that there is not one movie based on the series.

If im wrong, sorry, Let me no plz!?! would like to watch one.:)

There was a movie in 1996 starring Paul Mcgann's 8th Doctor.
    There were also 2 in the 60's but they weren't canonical, starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor they were based on 2 Classic serials, The Daleks and The Dalek Invasion of Earth
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    There was a movie in 1996 starring Paul Mcgann's 8th Doctor.
    There were also 2 in the 60's but they weren't canonical, starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor they were based on 2 Classic serials, The Daleks and The Dalek Invasion of Earth

And the 50th anniversary episode will be a film in cinemas, Earthshock was also feature length.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Considering that River Song gave her regenerations to the Doctor, then it is likely that this won't be an issue for years. It is entirely possible that this process can be repeated indefinitely so there could actually be no end to the Doctor. Just friends of the Doctor that sacrifice themselves to give him more time. People could still be watching Doctor Who in the year 3013 and it will still be the same Doctor. Just that his regeneration number would be over 100.
    edited August 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Considering that River Song gave her regenerations to the Doctor, then it is likely that this won't be an issue for years. It is entirely possible that this process can be repeated indefinitely so there could actually be no end to the Doctor. Just friends of the Doctor that sacrifice themselves to give him more time. People could still be watching Doctor Who in the year 3013 and it will still be the same Doctor. Just that his regeneration number would be over 100.

I don't recall her giving her regenerations to the Doctor, she just used all her regeneration energy to bring him back to normal life
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited August 2013
    There already has been an Alternate Universe Doctor Who series. A series of 8 Audio Dramas called Doctor Who: Unbound, 2 of them feature David Warner playing the Doctor http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Masters_of_War_(audio_story)

Of this I was unaware. Interesting. Is it the same Alternate Universe (AU) that was seen in David Tennant run?

Also, I think some of you misunderstand me. I'm merely setting up a hypothetical. I'm not asking to do away with the current show or timeline. I'm only curious how people would respond if Doctor Who someday created an AU storyline like the current Star Trek movies have for their franchise.
    edited August 2013
    Of this I was unaware. Interesting. Is it the same Alternate Universe (AU) that was seen in David Tennant run?

No it's completely different, there's even a Female Doctor in there too played by Arabella Weir http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Exile_(audio_story) and an appearance from the Valeyard http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/He_Jests_at_Scars..._(audio_story).

This series is all about What If's. What if The Doctor never left Gallifrey, what if he never became UNIT's scientific advisor, what if the Valeyard had defeated the Doctor, what if he spent his life going around changing history.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't recall her giving her regenerations to the Doctor, she just used all her regeneration energy to bring him back to normal life

It was done in Let's Kill Hitler. River gave up her regenerations to save the Doctor. Regeneration energy seems to be what causes Regenerations to occur. Every Time Lord has enough Regeneration energy to do 12 or 13 regenerations. The Time Lord Council offered to give the Master more regenerations if he did something for them so that either means the Council was lying or they can transfer regenerations.

Besides without some way to give the Doctor more regenerations, then there would just be one or two more Doctors and they would have to end it. Being able to replenish regenerations through sacrifice is one way to do it. Another is to make the Doctor become some being beyond Time Lords.
  • kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Master has already cheated the limit of number of regenerations, so it is possible for the doctor to do so and seeing as there was a 'second big bang' thanks to Amy Pond, it furthers this possibility.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C
    edited August 2013
    kylelocke wrote: »
    The Master has already cheated the limit of number of regenerations, so it is possible for the doctor to do so and seeing as there was a 'second big bang' thanks to Amy Pond, it furthers this possibility.

Do you refer to the body snatching events in the 1990s movie and The Keeper of Traken? I've wondered of late if they would ever consider using the body snatching technique of the Master with the Doctor, but with a twist. The Doctor would travel with a companion who would be willing to act as a new host. Rather than destroy the host personality, the Doctor would blend with it. And yes, as I think of it, that's similar to a Trill. when I first considered it, I was excited because it meant that potentially the Doctor could then travel with Jackson Lake (the one-shot companion from "The Next Doctor"), allowing David Morrissey to take the mantle eventually. I really like his portrayal of "The Doctor".

But in fact, you've pointed out one of the growing number of excuses they've planted that they could drum up to extend his life: the "second big bang". There's also the "bottle Gallifrey, gain infinite regenerations" theory, and the "use River's regenerations" theory. Possibly a couple of others I've forgotten.
    edited August 2013
    Do you refer to the body snatching events in the 1990s movie and The Keeper of Traken? I've wondered of late if they would ever consider using the body snatching technique of the Master with the Doctor, but with a twist. The Doctor would travel with a companion who would be willing to act as a new host. Rather than destroy the host personality, the Doctor would blend with it. And yes, as I think of it, that's similar to a Trill.

The trouble with the 1990's movie "Deathworm Morphant" (that's what the snakelike form's called) is that bodies taken over don't last long, the first body the Master took over after he escaped death in the Eye of Harmony only lasted 5 years.

Also I don't think the Doctor would use the bodysnatching manouever, it seems out of character for him, he'd either accept his death or somehow come across a way to give himself a new regeneration cycle IMO
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Use the 'Extra Lives Pack of Rasalon'.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    Use the 'Extra Lives Pack of Rasalon'.

works fine so long as you don't stand anywhere near Rassalon or his tomb. Otherwise...:eek:
  • kylelockekylelocke Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    He can be give a new set of regenerations by the Time Lords or use the artefacts of Rassilon (subsequently destroy Gallifrey in the process) to extend his life. Wait a minute...that can't happen now, some stooge writer invented the Time War and put a Temporal deadlock in place. Oh well, just send the Relativity in to fix things up.
    "I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105-C