test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• deklak1deklak1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    but did you guy noitice too that the damage and damage resistance are much too high right now then 1/2 months ago ?
    or it just me ;)
    so i say make the borg how it was.
    and please bring the borg space weapons back :D
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Yeah, and if you don't know enough people to form a team, if you don't PUG, you don't play. So yeah, in the sense that not playing avoids all problems in the game, that's a great "solution."

For those of us who want to be able to play the game we pay for without depending on the participation of others to block out the bad behavior of a few, it's utterly and completely useless. You're basically saying everyone who can't put together a 5-person team should just avoid STFs. :rolleyes:

you make it sound like every single PUG has an afk'er a leecher and a griefer in it all just waiting to ruin some poor helpless gamers life.

the last couple where we had the AFK'ers we all as a team just parked our ships next to them and just waited lol ya we lost the optional but after about 5 mins of us talking about the person and not doing anything they left lol,
    the other time was in infected I just dragged the tac to where he was hidding so the tac would kill me then turn on him he left before I could get the tac to him I was sad lol.

the one thing I have been noticing in infected with the AFKer's is the will on purpose lose the optional. IE blow up a gen on other side of team die then afk
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited August 2013
    howtor wrote: »
    the last couple where we had the AFK'ers we all as a team just parked our ships next to them and just waited lol ya we lost the optional but after about 5 mins of us talking about the person and not doing anything they left lol,
    the other time was in infected I just dragged the tac to where he was hidding so the tac would kill me then turn on him he left before I could get the tac to him I was sad lol.

the one thing I have been noticing in infected with the AFKer's is the will on purpose lose the optional. IE blow up a gen on other side of team die then afk

so? did this make you win? no..
    they more then likely just re queued up a new match and YOU were the ones that didnt get anything..

losing out on some loot being afk doesnt hurt the afker.. they can run another mission afk.. it doesnt even matter what mission they pick, cause they dont intend to play it.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    it's your own fault for pugging.

join a fleet or get some friends and run it with them if it means so much to you that you get so bent out of shape you are ready to rage quit over it....problem solved.

IMO you guys whining over someone afk in an open mission pug are the ones with the problem ....

You're a jackass! Reach back and unplug your computer, stupid!
    Actually, that goes for everyone that says we shouldn't pug. I play at odd hours when most of my fleet mates are offline. And I don't usually play elite STF's. It isn't our fault and it isn't our problem. This is Cryptic and PWE not giving a holy flying $#!+! Pure and simple.
    edited August 2013
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    No trolling intended. The fact is...players are allowed to AFK. If people want to stand around and do nothing, that is their right to do so. You don't have to stay in the game, you don't have to pug, and you don't have to pay any attention to it. Live and let live. Do what all left-wing socially liberal societies do and TOLERATE IT!

I have always thought of AFKing as a protest to the repetitive game play and grinding. It is why I have no problem with people who do it. In fact, I applaud those people for AFKing because they are actually doing something to bring about change (as opposed to the legions of keyboard warriors on this so-called FORUM). The more people who do it, the more Cryptic will realize that their end game is getting BORING!

If you intro the Vote to Kick (V2K) feature, people will abuse it. In fact, I think the same number of people who leech will be the exact same number of people who abuse V2K. You are replacing one problem with another...except your new problem can be directly used to attack legit players...and that is WORSE than AFKing. I would rather have an AFKer, silent and invisible, than a power-tripping a**hole voting to kick someone cause their DPS isn't Godly.

Face it kids...AFKing is a small issue (I won't even call it a problem, cause that implies it is bad) and it can be easily avoided by not pugging. Go and make some friends, make a fleet, party up, and reduce or eliminate the chances of being paired with an AFKer. There are so many options available to you to avoid AFKers.

And...for all you AFKers out there - you know who you are - I have one thing to say to you people: What you are doing is not against the TOS...so don't worry about it. Play the game the way you feel comfortable. Don't let anyone call you a leech (because that is name calling and THAT IS against the TOS). If anyone calls you a leecher, or any other bad name, report them ASAP for name calling. Sooner or later...the name calling will stop.

Another jackass...
    edited August 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    to everyone that says its OPs fault for pugging.. you guys are very mean..

being AFK during a match should be fixed this asap.

they need to remove the leaver penalty on every mission.. some missions you can already leave.. but not every one.

not everyone can make private matches.. or dont want to..
    pugging is part of the game.. if you get an afker, you should be able to leave and restart with no penalty.

there is no reason to be forced to put up with these guys..

i do under stand why they do it tho.. its from being forced to grind the same missions over and over..
    once you play the one you like, you have 30 to 60 minutes to go do something else.
    also, only a few missions give certain rewards.. like CC.. i hate to admit it, while i dont afk.. every time i play that mission i just hang back and shoot the thoilans. one time i got first place doing that.

mission CDs, and repetition make this game very boring.

they should add the choice of marks loot to every mission.. and remove CDs and leaver penalties..

then no more AFKers and you do what you want to have fun..

YOU should work for Cryptic or PWE! Thank you! I was getting sick of calling people names.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I gotta say, I've been playing this game for a year and I have NEVER encountered an afker in an stf and I almost exclusively pug. Maybe I've just been extraordinarily lucky, but it doesn't seem to me that this could possibly as big of a problem as everyone seems to be making it out to be.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited August 2013
    I gotta say, I've been playing this game for a year and I have NEVER encountered an afker in an stf and I almost exclusively pug. Maybe I've just been extraordinarily lucky, but it doesn't seem to me that this could possibly as big of a problem as everyone seems to be making it out to be.

Have you opened any lock boxes? You must have won every ship by now.
    edited August 2013
    mikec1013 wrote: »
    You're a jackass! Reach back and unplug your computer, stupid!
    Actually, that goes for everyone that says we shouldn't pug. I play at odd hours when most of my fleet mates are offline. And I don't usually play elite STF's. It isn't our fault and it isn't our problem. This is Cryptic and PWE not giving a holy flying $#!+! Pure and simple.

rofl....you mad brah ?

it's still 'your' problem if you are nerd raging over something that is completely avoidable if it makes you rage and spew spittle so much....but hey....if it floats yer boat....

lol...too funny. :cool:
    Leeching is a problem and saying don't pug and only play with friends is like telling a girl that gets unwanted attention from a jerk in a bar you should of had a guy friend with you. Plain and simple that is a stupid thing to say.
    edited August 2013
    " telling a girl that gets unwanted attention from a jerk in a bar you should of had a guy friend with you. "
    Plain and simple that is a stupid thing to say.

you're right..... "that" is indeed a stupid thing to say... :rolleyes:

Y'all just gotta love some of the totally irrelevant analogies people come up with here. :cool:

you're right..... that is indeed a stupid thing to say... :rolleyes:

Y'all just gotta love some of the totally irrelevant analogies people come up with here. :cool:

It shows that something is stupid that is appropriate.
    edited August 2013

I know right?

But from the vitriol of some of the posters in this thread...lol.... you'd think people are going over to their house just to poke them in the eyes with salt covered fingers. :cool:

oh wait....did I just make an irrelevant analogy ? :rolleyes:
    aarons9 wrote: »
    so? did this make you win? no..
    they more then likely just re queued up a new match and YOU were the ones that didnt get anything..

losing out on some loot being afk doesnt hurt the afker.. they can run another mission afk.. it doesnt even matter what mission they pick, cause they dont intend to play it.

actually I did win by not allowing them to get free stuff off my work but then again the only ones I ever see defend these guys are the ones who do it.

and to thoes who think its not such a big deal for you, ust let us know all your ship names and when we get in a group with you then we can all just afk cause dont worry you will do all the work its no big deal
    edited August 2013
    rofl....you mad brah ?

it's still 'your' problem if you are nerd raging over something that is completely avoidable if it makes you rage and spew spittle so much....but hey....if it floats yer boat....

lol...too funny. :cool:

Wow. Who turned out the lights and let all the roaches out? See Brandon, this is the problem with your game... this is why no one takes you or this situation seriously.
    edited August 2013
    you're right..... "that" is indeed a stupid thing to say... :rolleyes:

Just because you aren't smart enough to understand the analogy doesn't make it irrelevant. He actually made a good point. What you did is called deflection because you couldn't come up with something equally or smarter to say.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem people do not understand about "AFKers" in STFs that VERY FEW OF THESE PEOPLE ACTUALLY EXIST.

That's right, despite what you may or may not have seen, there are practically no AFKers. Those people you think are AFK? They are not. They're actively there, actively choosing to do nothing but leech. They even remember to click "Need". They're not AFK at all. They have consciously chosen to be willfully useless. And this is why any so-called efforts to "crack down" on the "AFK" will not actually help, and may actually make the situation worse by penalizing unusual playstyles that are actively participating. The leeches will still simply find a way to exert the minimum effort needed to get the reward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Simplest solution : make it so you can't be teamed up with anyone from your ignore list.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure why you think it's appropriate for us to know that you can't make relevant analogies. It doesn't help your argument.

Now two reasons your analogy is flawed is because you are assuming that

1. bringing a guy friend along would stop a jerk from giving her unwanted attention.

2. And this is the important one, she is going someplace where she knows she is more likely to encounter jerks who are doing something (getting drunk) that brings out their jerk behavior.

A relevant analogy would be something like this:

Telling someone that if they don't want to deal with AFKers not to pug is like telling a girl if she doesn't want to get pregnant she shouldn't have sex.

It is relevant in that both those things are stupid things to say. Something not stupid to say would of been I feel for you it sucks when that happens. You should talk with the manager and try to get something done to stop things like that from happening. Instead we get people saying its your fault should not put yourself in a situation that can happen.

In this game the only way to never deal with leechers is not to play anything with the potential of having someone leech it. I have played with people from friends in the past and have seen 1 of them leech.

I want a way to make sure that leechers don't get rewarded so I never ever have to deal with leechers ever wile still playing missions that require multiple people to start.
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Another jackass...

How insightful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
    edited August 2013
    Wow. Who turned out the lights and let all the roaches out? See Brandon, this is the problem with your game... this is why no one takes you or this situation seriously.

let me fix this for you:

...it is 'you', our dear community nerd-rage aficionado, that people aren't taking seriously . ;) (obviously)

the majority of us don't seem to have a primal need to spew 'jackass' at people and degrade the development company just because the sense to stay out of situations that make our rage meter peg out eludes us.

if 'we' have an angry aneurism when we go in a pug, 'we' usually find another route to have fun in this game that doesn't pop a blood vessel....you see; there are many many things to do in STO, and many many different ways to accomplish these tasks.

but hey.... I gotta admit, sometimes it's funny to watch others lose their cool over petty things....it's human nature.

FWIW: peace brah ! and rage on. :cool:

oh ..and hey !...I got a schweet analogy for y'all: "If you're afraid of the boogyman, why are you running into the woods at night ?...."

you see...er..the 'boogyman' is the proverbial and ever so elusive AFK'er...and 'running into the woods', is you going into a PUG ....get it? cool huh ? I'm smart because I made an analogy now eh ?.

Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    No trolling intended. The fact is...players are allowed to AFK. If people want to stand around and do nothing, that is their right to do so. You don't have to stay in the game, you don't have to pug, and you don't have to pay any attention to it. Live and let live. Do what all left-wing socially liberal societies do and TOLERATE IT!

I have always thought of AFKing as a protest to the repetitive game play and grinding. It is why I have no problem with people who do it. In fact, I applaud those people for AFKing because they are actually doing something to bring about change (as opposed to the legions of keyboard warriors on this so-called FORUM). The more people who do it, the more Cryptic will realize that their end game is getting BORING!

If you intro the Vote to Kick (V2K) feature, people will abuse it. In fact, I think the same number of people who leech will be the exact same number of people who abuse V2K. You are replacing one problem with another...except your new problem can be directly used to attack legit players...and that is WORSE than AFKing. I would rather have an AFKer, silent and invisible, than a power-tripping a**hole voting to kick someone cause their DPS isn't Godly.

Face it kids...AFKing is a small issue (I won't even call it a problem, cause that implies it is bad) and it can be easily avoided by not pugging. Go and make some friends, make a fleet, party up, and reduce or eliminate the chances of being paired with an AFKer. There are so many options available to you to avoid AFKers.

And...for all you AFKers out there - you know who you are - I have one thing to say to you people: What you are doing is not against the TOS...so don't worry about it. Play the game the way you feel comfortable. Don't let anyone call you a leech (because that is name calling and THAT IS against the TOS). If anyone calls you a leecher, or any other bad name, report them ASAP for name calling. Sooner or later...the name calling will stop.

Sometimes you just wish people who post stuff like this and are convinced of it would just get a heart attack and drop dead. The world would be a slightly better place afterwards.
    edited August 2013
    Sometimes you just wish people who post stuff like this and are convinced of it would just get a heart attack and drop dead. The world would be a slightly better place afterwards.

now that's the spirit of hatred we have come to love and respect !!!!!

valoreah wrote: »
    .....It's damaging to the game and serves to drive customers away.

I challenge you to provide a link to a post where any Cryptic Dev states that AFK leeching in a queued event is acceptable behavior and that they won't do anything about it.

and I challenge you to prove that it is " damaging the game and is serving to drive the customers away ".

:rolleyes:

That's a no brainer, really. All one need do is look at the numerous threads that have cropped up about this very topic. People aren't posting how much they enjoy being in matches with AFKers.

so the dozen or so people who rage about here on the forums it is more damning to the existence of STO than the tens or hundreds of thousands of people online playing the game eh ? :rolleyes:

fascinating logic Spock.
    so...how many people do you know that left the game because their PUG was leeched ?

would you leave STO becasue of an AFK'er ?

seriously ? do you speculate it to be in the single digits? tens? hundreds? thoudsands? millions ? of players rage quitting over this ?

a number that is "damaging to the game and served to drive customers away" ?

or are some people just being melodramatic because they happened upon a PUG group that just didn't work to their liking due to circumstances beyond their control, because that is the nature of random PUG's, or they don't have the sense to go about it in the other available routes offered by STO that guarantee more control of the situation?

Then, they see no other alternative than coming to the forums and raging about how the game is dying because they got robbed by another player not playing the game the way they expected?

you arent leaving are you ? would that be fatal for STO ?.

:rolleyes:
    I won't guess as to how many people posted about it on the forums, nor will I guess at how many people play the game. I can reasonably say there have been many posts about the topic. None of those I've ever read had people jumping for joy saying how much they enjoyed having leechers in a match. Those posts represent the portion of people who take the time to make a post. They don't represent those who have already left the game because of leeching or those who didn't bother to make a post about it.

I don't understand why you keep explaining it. Your position is quite rational and easy to understand. Right now the only thing you do is feed the troll though. Don't feed the troll. ;)
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wish I had popcorn.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    STF leaver's penalty needs to be removed. Then all your afker/noob problems will solve themselves.
This discussion has been closed.