test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

romulan temperal lockbox/lobi ships

xuelxuel Member Posts: 169 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Romulan Discussion
The biggest mistake on these ships i see, is the fact they have matter-antimatter warp cores and not singularity cores like all other romulan ships have.

I do not see any romulan player using these ships for this vary fact, as we can not use our singularity powers (the one thing that separates romulans from everyone else).
Post edited by xuel on

Comments

• rainmotorsportsrainmotorsports Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The reason for it would be that they are just skinned temporal ships. A secondary reason might be is they were intended to be balanced and singularity abilities might shift that balance. But yeah it kinda doesn't make sense on the reality end of things.

But anyone who has flown an adapted ship is used to being without singularity.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Singularity core powers are nice, but matter-antimatter cores provide better power level results.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The big mistake isn't that they use warp cores. I would kill for being able to use one in most Romulan ships. The big mistake is the complete lack of a cloaking device.

And yep, Romulans will still fly it. What do you think how many millions I already made today by throwing my old stashes of temporal lock boxes on the exchange?
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Am I crazy or are they all missing their cloaks ?

That can't be right can it - why would anyone give up their 5 x boff bonus to damage after uncloaking ?
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow, didn't take long for this to pop up.

I remember there was a similar discussion when the original temporal ships came out, and people talked about why the Klingon ones didn't have a cloak.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    C'mon guys, it's really not hard to find out why.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11706001#post11706001
    We discussed whether or not the Romulan Temporal Ships should have singularity cores quite at length. In fact, I actually built them to have all the Singularity mechanics and Romulan Battle Cloaking and changed it later on in the design process - so, it's not an issue of laziness or copy and paste.

We chose to go with the Matter/Antimatter core for a number of reasons.

1. Precedent. The Klingon Temporal Ships came with identical stats to the Federation counterparts and did not have Cloaking (unlike the Klingon veteran ship, which did have Cloaking in exchange for lower shields).

Giving the Singularity mechanics and Romulan Battle Cloak to the Romulan ship would have made them the only distinct model, which may have come across as unfair to Klingon players. That would have left us with the options to keep the Klingon version as-is and potentially leave Klingon players feeling left in the dust, or to give the Klingon ships Cloaking and cut down something in exchange - which might have frustrated *other* players, who didn't like their stats being changed later.

We also could have buffed the Federation version in some way and given the Klingon version Cloak at the same time, but that would set a dangerous precedent for power creep, and the Temporal ships are already very powerful.

2. Continuity. By the Battle of Procyon V in the 26th century (ENT Azati Prime), the Federation has allied with many of its former enemies, notably the Klingons and the Xindi. (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Battle_of_Procyon_V)

While Romulan ships are not specifically seen on screen in that battle (and a 300-year old Nova design is), the rise of the Romulan Republic and its relationship with the Federation make it logical to assume that in the distant future, Romulans will be sharing technology with many species, including those with warp cores.

3. Players have been asking for Romulan ships that do not have the lower base Warbird power levels since the launch of Legacy of Romulus. These ships allow us to provide that as an option that makes sense within the IP.

It was a tough call. We knew that some people would want prefer the ships to have Singularity Cores and some people would prefer for the ships to have Matter/Antimatter Cores. Ultimately, we made the decision that we felt would be the most balanced, consistent, and appropriate to the IP.

Personally, I think their reasoning is sound.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't take long for this to pop up.

I remember there was a similar discussion when the original temporal ships came out, and people talked about why the Klingon ones didn't have a cloak.

I was thinking about that just today.

At the time I reasoned a cloak was wrong, but I changed my mind today.

Thing is, these ships should feel....well, regional.

Give them their race specific talent but make sure its balanced.

So, for Romulans, there is the lower base power levels.

There just needs to be something similar for the Klingons.

Maybe a boff slot less, or even an integral cloak but only nine console slots.

That way, when we fly these things they'll feel like ships from the faction we actually belong to.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would be like WTF BLIND RAAAAGE!!! if it was NOTa lockbox ship....but since it is a lockbox ship, and all lock box ships are the same for all the factions, i don't see a problem.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Mods , i think we need a thread merge for all the rommie time ship threads out there are 3 atm. all are complaining about the same things.

So we have no SC, no cloak..so what, who cares...we still have a nice ship....just because it's not "canon" enough for some, doesn't mean my rommie won't fly one and have alot of fun lol
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am just saying you selling a replica ship, just give a paint job, for 800 lobi ?

And you expect people to give up the cloaking bonus damage after the spend 20 million on each boff for those stats?

But hey I get it, you don't feds to have the same abilities and stats it's all cool.

I don't like the design or abilties of the ship anyway I am just saying if you want to sell it...

/edit

Wait, wait, wait. Aren't only roms getting access to rom temp ships ? Why can't they cloak then ?
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They're carbon copies of the Fed/KDF versions...you're complaining because of that? I'm sure people would be complaining if they were given cloak and a singularity core! Just easier this way...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited August 2013
    Realistic Reasoning:

No Lockbox or Lobi ship comes with a Singularity Core or Cloaking Device.

While these are called "Romulan" Time Ships they are really just Time Ships with Romulan hull styling. For a Sci vessel with Singularity and Battle Cloak there is the Ha'nom.

Internal Game Logic Reasoning:

OK so the Lobi Crystal Consortium refitted these ships after the Tholians took all the cool and advanced stuff out. They used contemporary technology available to the Ferengi. Since the Ferengi don't have Singularity Cores and Cloaking Devices the refitted Time Ships don't have them.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't, they took the more logical way with it and made it a copy of the Fed/KDF versions. Its that simple...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No Lockbox or Lobi ship comes with a Singularity Core or Cloaking Device.

Uhm...The two Tal Shiar Adapted ships both come with a Cloaking Device.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • stonedpenguinstonedpenguin Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    Uhm...The two Tal Shiar Adapted ships both come with a Cloaking Device.

And unique warpcore.
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Personally I want one, I've seen what the Wells can do with the right set up and it's a beast!

I can understand why the warp core and why the lack of cloak as explained already and I can agree with it, it just wouldn't be fair to have all the abilities this ship has AND those two as well, it would be far too powerful in my opinion.

However if we're looking at this from an RP perspective (for lack of a better term) then what the heck happened in the future that caused everyone to abandon cloaks and singularities?! And why does everyone essentially fly the same ship?!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello, maybe someone can help me.

With my Romulan toon, I used the Exchange to buy Temporal Lock Boxes. Reading the descriptions, there were no words about a Romulan Science Vessel, only the KDF and FED one.

Looking at the Lobi Store at the Temporal Destroyer, there was also no word about the Romulan Temporal Destroyer, just KDF and FED again.

I found both Requisition Boxes at the Exchange. The tool-tipp there told me my Romulan character can't use them. I have LV 50 and should be able so.

So what, lazy translation (German client) and description editing again?
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello, maybe someone can help me.

With my Romulan toon, I used the Exchange to buy Temporal Lock Boxes. Reading the descriptions, there were no words about a Romulan Science Vessel, only the KDF and FED one.

Looking at the Lobi Store at the Temporal Destroyer, there was also no word about the Romulan Temporal Destroyer, just KDF and FED again.

I found both Requisition Boxes at the Exchange. The tool-tipp there told me my Romulan character can't use them. I have LV 50 and should be able so.

So what, lazy translation (German client) and description editing again?

Translations are always lagging behind and sometimes they're complete nonsense...nonsense being too weak a word actually but I don't wanna get in trouble.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=721401

just take a look at this thread.

If that ship existed we would've heard about it by now...probably looks like a Death Star with raptor wings.
    So it's probably just that: since the lockbox came out yesterday the German translation has not yet been updated.

Mein Beileid.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ach h?r auf..

Still no updated informations on the German client for the Romulan Temporal Ships in their boxes.

So I will avoid buy those Requesition Packs from the Exchange and wait for an update.