test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Aux2SIF 3 vs Extend Shields 3 question

floppytechiefloppytechie Member Posts: 136 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Hello,

i have a corsair(both retrofit and fleet retrofit versions)and am planning to use it for pvp on my klink char.I prefer the retrofit version because of the extra hull and shields and the lt cmdr science.

I am thinking of the dragon build adapted to my play style.Problem is,with the fleet corsair having only 5 engi abilities,4 of which goes to EptX abilities,so im forced to choose between Aux2SIF and Extend Shields as my healing ability .Im thinking of running 1 Science Team 1,2x Transfer Shield Strength 2,1 Hazard Emitters 1 and 1 photonic shockwave 1(for the disable),so i have enough shield tanking and should therefore use Aux2SIF.But since im a healer,i should also have a copy of ES 3 beacuse of the massive shield resists,but should i do that,i would only have HE as my only hull heal(not counting Miracle worker):eek:.

Also should i go for ES 3,can i compensate for loss of Aux2sif by losing 1 TSS 2 and getting a HE 2 instead?

So,do i sacrifice 8k (primary)hull heal every 15 sec or a massive lifesaver ability for my teammates that can be used every 60 sec.:confused:

Thoughts?

EDIT:I am not using a TT and instead have 2 purple development lab scientists for 16 sec cooldown on ST 1.
Proud owner of every ship with hangers ingame
Flagship - N.C.C.-99635-A U.S.S. Asterion

I support playable Typhoon class!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by floppytechie on

Comments

• Options
    fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    personally i would go with aux2sif 3. in my opinion it is the best hull heal in the game, as it has such a short cd and also comes with a resist. it can also be cast to a team mate.

a shield resist is important sure but with 2 copies of TSS u should be fine there and with all the bleed-thru damage abilities being used i feel hull healing is far more important than another shield resist ability.

i'm sure others will have their own opinions though. :)
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Question: Why do you have 4 EPTX abilities?

That alone is going to majorly hurt your uptime on them, along with eating up several BOFF slots.

The rest of your heals seem fine, but I recommend for whatever EPTX abilities you are using...try and keep it to no more than 2, and keep them in your ensign slots.

This will allow you to cycle them pretty well without giving up too many slots. That will also open up your Lt. and Lt. Cmdr level engineering slots.

Use those slots for an RSP (normally I would say an engineering team, but the lack of engy boff slots doesn't leave much wiggle room) along with an Extend shields 2 and Aux to SIF 3.

I prefer Aux to SIF over Extends because it's a short cooldown, good level hull heal and resists. Extends 2 is pretty much as good as 3.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »

That alone is going to majorly hurt your uptime on them, along with eating up several BOFF slots.

Um,the dragon flagship build requires 2 EptS and 2 EptW abilities for continous uptime on shield and weapon power

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Um,the dragon flagship build requires 2 EptS and 2 EptW abilities for continous uptime on shield and weapon power

Or you use damage control officers or aux2bat and run just one of each.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I accidently skipped over that part when I was reading your post.

I don't recommend that. The dragon build, while good, is focused around a more engineering heavy ship. You only have 5 engineering slots, and the Corsair isn't the best for dealing damage. It's a cruiser/sci combo, and has to be thought of as such. Two EPTS is ok, but trying to force two more EPTW on top of that isn't the best honestly.

You also seem to want to make this into a healer. Using two EPTW isn't really a good choice when you are trying to get heals out of it. An EPTA is a better choice.

An A2B build isn't good for a Corsair/fleet Corsair, as it only has a cmdr and ensign engineer. Plus, the lower aux means a lot of low heals and other sci abilities, plus it interferes with the CD on Aux to SIF. Though DCEs could be good depending on what all the DOFFs Floppytechie has equpped.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Indeed, that is why the Dragon is obsolete. I don't know why people still follow it. You are losing Aux for brief moments in return for not only near 100% uptime on tac team and emergency powers, but great cooldowns on everything else, from Haz Emitters and TSS, to Attack Patterns and Rapid Fire, to DEM and RSP.

At the least run Damage Control Engineers. Anything but hogging 4 slots for just emergency powers.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Indeed, that is why the Dragon is obsolete. I don't know why people still follow it. You are losing Aux for brief moments in return for not only near 100% uptime on tac team and emergency powers, but great cooldowns on everything else, from Haz Emitters and TSS, to Attack Patterns and Rapid Fire, to DEM and RSP.

At the least run Damage Control Engineers. Anything but hogging 4 slots for just emergency powers.

Agreed you don't have the right boff layout for so many Eptx. You of course can do it, but it will be less than optimal given the ship.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Have a look at my build in sig for ideas on Fleet Corsair.
    It's a healer tank build with a side of power drains as what I focus on. Used with an engineer. PvE build, but it's handy in a quick PvP.

My main focus on the heals is to not double up on them. That way you can unleash all of them at will without cross cool down affecting things.

Being a cruiser with heavy sci, don't expect it to be a DPS machine. Focus on it's strengths. Healing as you said you want to do, is ideal.

Doffs are important for the Corsair as you can't/shouldn't run aux2batt or dual Ep2X abilities due to low numbers of engy slots. And aux2bat drain aux which nullifies half your boffs.
    See description tab of my build for my doff layout and further notes.

Also you haven't mentioned if your toon is sci/engy/tac...

As you mentioned you're a healer, focus on that. Use Field Emitter consoles for better shield heals.
    Run high aux to boost sci abilities, heals and hanger recharge times.

Maybe alter EptW1 to EptS1 and change EptS3 into ES1 and have the commander slot for Aux2SIF (the best hull heal in game imo).

Maybe use the higher end sci slots for higher heal abilities and the lower ones for basic offence or controls (tractor, TBR etc)
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Though DCEs could be good depending on what all the DOFFs Floppytechie has equpped.

I was planning to have 2 development lab scientists for a 16 sec cooldown on science team and the rest would have been photonic lab scientist for cooldown on photonic abilities(nadeon detonator,photonic shockwave ; i LOVE photonic shockwave:D)

BTW,is PS 1(for disable) viable in PvP in a slow ship?(im using omega full set and impulse burst to compensate)
    Have a look at my build in sig for ideas on Fleet Corsair.
    It's a healer tank build with a side of power drains as what I focus on. Used with an engineer. PvE build, but it's handy in a quick PvP.

My main focus on the heals is to not double up on them. That way you can unleash all of them at will without cross cool down affecting things.

Being a cruiser with heavy sci, don't expect it to be a DPS machine. Focus on it's strengths. Healing as you said you want to do, is ideal.

Doffs are important for the Corsair as you can't/shouldn't run aux2batt or dual Ep2X abilities due to low numbers of engy slots. And aux2bat drain aux which nullifies half your boffs.
    See description tab of my build for my doff layout and further notes.

Also you haven't mentioned if your toon is sci/engy/tac...

As you mentioned you're a healer, focus on that. Use Field Emitter consoles for better shield heals.
    Run high aux to boost sci abilities, heals and hanger recharge times.

Maybe alter EptW1 to EptS1 and change EptS3 into ES1 and have the commander slot for Aux2SIF (the best hull heal in game imo).

Maybe use the higher end sci slots for higher heal abilities and the lower ones for basic offence or controls (tractor, TBR etc)
    My toon is an egineer BTW.
    Also i checked your build,why are you running tykens rift on a healer build?Woudnt ST 3/TSS 3/HE 3 or even PS 1(to disrupt enemy healer's ES) be better?:confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2013

4x EPtX gives you 100% uptime on 2 abilities. With the EPS manifold efficiency trait and 3 ranks in the Battery skill, it also gives you +10 power to all subsystems, all the time. 3 Damage Control Engineers can't match that, and while Aux2Busey might, going completely without Aux power is the price you pay for it. If you don't think that Hazard Emitters II and Aux2SIF III are noticable with 50-60 aux power, I advise you to try it for yourself. Then there's the Tier IV Nukara rep bonus. While it may not be as effective in total damage output as a A2B technician build, it certainly does help close the gap, as will slotting some other DOFFs to increase raw weapon output. I'm personally a fan of the Projectile Weapon Officer. Cheaper than Technicians by a LOOONG way, and still quite good at boosting your sustained damage.

Bottom line, rumours of the demise of the dragon build are greatly exaggerated.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    4x EPtX gives you 100% uptime on 2 abilities. With the EPS manifold efficiency trait and 3 ranks in the Battery skill, it also gives you +10 power to all subsystems, all the time. 3 Damage Control Engineers can't match that, and while Aux2Busey might, going completely without Aux power is the price you pay for it. If you don't think that Hazard Emitters II and Aux2SIF III are noticable with 50-60 aux power, I advise you to try it for yourself. Then there's the Tier IV Nukara rep bonus. While it may not be as effective in total damage output as a A2B technician build, it certainly does help close the gap, as will slotting some other DOFFs to increase raw weapon output. I'm personally a fan of the Projectile Weapon Officer. Cheaper than Technicians by a LOOONG way, and still quite good at boosting your sustained damage.

Bottom line, rumours of the demise of the dragon build are greatly exaggerated.

Meh. I've run engineers in Ambassador and a Mirror Vor'cha with just a single EPTS2/EPTW1 and a trio of blue-quality DCEs, and that gives close-enough-to-100% uptime on both, and blue DCEs aren't too expensive to pick up. And that left me enough space for RSP, A2S, Extends, and ET altogether, giving me the same durability and punch as a Dragon but being a much more effective support ship besides.

The Dragon setup is a good intro-to-cruisers 'training wheels' setup, but once you start moving into the level of DOFFs and Fleet/Reputation gear, the Dragon is self-limiting.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    With three Purple DCE's, you will still only average ~73% proc rate, so, no, I do not consider that 'close enough' to 100% uptime, especially when I'm getting +10 power to all subsystems for ~15 seconds from the EPS manifold efficiency trait. So your total yield from DCE's and EPtX x2 won't nearly match what a straight dragon build will deliver in terms of raw, total system power.

You prefer your setup, that's certainly your perogative, but NO, you will not match a dragon build for total power and durability over time. You've also tied up 3 DOFF slots that could be used for other things. So you've got 3 DCE's hastening your EPtX powers, I've got 3 PWO's hastening the fire rate on my quantum torpedo launcher.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Unsure where 73% comes from when you've got 6 chances to proc every cycle. I admit I never got out a calculator on it, but whenever I check I always seem to be up on those ships (feels like 90ish percent). As for the EPS Manifold trait, yeah I know what it is and use it as well, and all it requires is that you're activating EPT-something every 15 seconds, but it doesn't care how you get that EPT-something available.

As for the chest-thumping on the PWO's......so what? You get the doff slots, I get extra boff slots. Personally find that extra boff slots offers more flexibility, particularly when building a healer-cruiser for the support role, and don't understand why one would turn a cruiser into a torp boat anyways. And if building an offensive cruiser, shouldn't one be using an A2B setup anyways?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm not chest thumping, I'm pointing out that your build makes sacrifices to get what it does. So does Aux2Batt. I'm refuting the absurd notion that the Dragon build is obsolete, because it's perfectly effective. You want to put in a handful of DCE's to save a couple Engineering boff slots, good on you. Me, I don't like guessing what my power curve is going to be from moment to moment, and I've had plenty of success fast-recharge quantums.

Oh, and for the OP: Use Aux2SIF. Extend Shields has a range of 7.5km, to A2S's 10, and it can't be applied to yourself, A2S can. Finally, I find it much easier to keep track of my teammates hull than their shielding, most of the time. The only merit of ES is that it scales from shield subsystem power instead of aux.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    purple DCE = 35% chance.
    3 x 35% = 105
    Even 3x blue = 90%

From experience, 3x pruple DCE is essentially guarenteed 30% CD reduction.

4x EPtX powers, especially on fleet corsair is a little over the top. If you're doing it solely for the power boost, you've specced yourself incorrectly in other areas. If you're doing it for the up time you're saving 5 seconds of down time for 2 abilities, vs waiting 5 seconds and gaining another 2 boff slots.

Anyway, as this guys asking specifically about a heal boat build though, lets focus on that. EPtX is a selfish power and not helpful much for a healer, bar EPtA.

My toon is an egineer BTW.
    Also i checked your build,why are you running tykens rift on a healer build?Woudnt ST 3/TSS 3/HE 3 or even PS 1(to disrupt enemy healer's ES) be better?:confused:
    As I said, I'm a PvE healer tank hybrid. Part of my tanking comes from aggroing hence the feedback pulse (to maintain aggro) and drains are there to drain the NPCs power so I can tank them better.
    If you read the notes on that build at all it's not a pure healer build more tank than healer.
    It's to give you some ideas.

Engineer, ok great. We can go light on the selfish powers then as you've miracle worker.

See this build.
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=eradsfleethealercorsair_3172
    See notes tab for doffs chosen.

I'm not big into pure healing, but that'd be a nice start I think.
    Neut consoles should have the HullRP modifier

9 of the 12 boff abilities can be laid on allies to help them in some way.
    To just straight heal, cleanse, provide shield balance or a resistance buff. For both hull and shields.
    With that build you can heal allies (mainly with sci skills) but also provide serious resistance buffs (higher engy skills) to both hull AND shields. Thus they take less damage, allowing you to throw heals at other players.

Went with photonic officer to give you quicker bursts of healing when you need it under pressure.
    Doffs boost healing and/or CDs. Adjust as you think necessary.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    purple DCE = 35% chance.
    3 x 35% = 105
    Even 3x blue = 90%

From experience, 3x pruple DCE is essentially guarenteed 30% CD reduction.

That's not how statistics works. You are, in effect, asserting that if I give you 6d6, that you'll always roll at least 1 six, because 1/6 * 6 = 1.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx

For those that need it, there's a calculator.

And the dragon build is awful. Worse than awful. It is criminal to advocate it. Wow. More quantums? Oh really? Don't be silly.

Just SAYING that you achieve greater durability and power over time isn't the same as actually proving it. Saying that the build has greater damage output over time isn't the same as actually proving it.

Your opinion or feelings on what is or isn't a minimal difference in power levels isn't relevant or meaningful.

But this belief of yours is meaningful.

You want to put in a handful of DCE's to save a couple Engineering boff slots, good on you. Me, I don't like guessing what my power curve is going to be from moment to moment, and I've had plenty of success fast-recharge quantums.

It means you're behind on the learning curve, and I wouldn't take advice from you on how to make velcro work.

Dragon build is awful, always was, move on.

EDIT: Get a battery. Seriously. Get a Warp Core. Power management at this level isn't effing difficult and doesn't require 4 boff slots. Manually adjust power. You're an effing engineer for ****s sake. There are so many options BESIDES wasting 2 boff slots. Seriously get over it.
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Reviewing what's been in this thread, I decided to do the math myself.

If you're running a single EPtX power with 3 purple DCEs, you have (1 - .65 ^ 3) chance of success, which amounts to a little over 72.5% chance that your cooldowns are reduced. However, for those running 2 different EPtX powers, you've got 2 shots at the reduction, so your chance of success is approximately (1 - .275 ^ 2) or about 92.5%

I'd done the math before, but hadn't considered that I could get 2 shots (effectively) at success. I think it's time to revise my build a bit...

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It means you're behind on the learning curve, and I wouldn't take advice from you on how to make velcro work.

Sure, because apparently quantum torpedoes don't do damage anymore, and wedging an engineering team I won't use and a reverse shield polarity I'll never need is far, FAR more important than cutting an average of 2.5 seconds off my torpedo cooldown.

Just because I don't agree with your conclusions is no reason to get insulting. You think the dragon build is terrible? Then explain to me what crucial missing Tier 1-2 engineering BOFF power that's going to revolutionize my game then, please. Or you can take your condescending snark and cram it where the sun doesn't shine. Whatever.