test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is my Aquarius Destroyer so big?

k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Federation Discussion
I parked it as close as I could to an Oddy, and it was about .5 the size of the saucer, and 2x the size of the Aquarius docked in the ship.:mad: I want my ship to be small :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by k022#6452 on

Comments

• Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I noticed this too! After launching my aquarius it suddenly gets huge. What's the deal? This is really bothering me.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it because the nacelles are expanded? You know they fold out when it launches?

I think it also puffs up to make itself more impressive and as a safety feature in case if your Captain has not flown a ship for a while.

:)
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pets seem to be smaller than player ships, as a rule, even if they're supposed to be the same ship.

However...

I was doing the Battle Rumble Royale 1701 Foundry mission (or whatever it's called), and near the end you do fight an independent Aquarius destroyer. I swear it was bigger than my Defiant, and that just ain't right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »
    Pets seem to be smaller than player ships, as a rule, even if they're supposed to be the same ship.

However...

I was doing the Battle Rumble Royale 1701 Foundry mission (or whatever it's called), and near the end you do fight an independent Aquarius destroyer. I swear it was bigger than my Defiant, and that just ain't right.

Yeah, I know its supposed to be a little bigger. But this new size is WAAAYYY too big.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic knows about scaling issues since day one. Their justification for the whacky sizes? Ease of visual acquisition.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would love for the Aquarius to be the right size again. That size leak is apparently a dying Tardis and that cross genre meshing just won't do. If I could name my Aquarius right now it would be U.S.S. Blowfish. Lose the Blowfish, bring back our little bulldog, the small Aquarius!
  • Options
    cjtombraider#7376 cjtombraider Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    saboreth wrote: »
    I would love for the Aquarius to be the right size again. That size leak is apparently a dying Tardis and that cross genre meshing just won't do. If I could name my Aquarius right now it would be U.S.S. Blowfish. Lose the Blowfish, bring back our little bulldog, the small Aquarius!

I agree. All I can say is....what the hell!?!?!? I noticed this too and it's just insane. I feel like my Aquarius pet that drops from my Oddyssey is just ugly and too bulky. It just doesn't look right. I agree! Bring back "our little bulldog!"
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scimitar2 wrote: »
    I agree. All I can say is....what the hell!?!?!? I noticed this too and it's just insane. I feel like my Aquarius pet that drops from my Oddyssey is just ugly and too bulky. It just doesn't look right. I agree! Bring back "our little bulldog!"

I bet you they made the Aquarius pet larger because they think captains have a hard time keeping track of where it is.

Cryptic, all Odyssey captains know exactly where their Aquarius pet is -- it blew up right next to the exploding Cube.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »
    I bet you they made the Aquarius pet larger because they think captains have a hard time keeping track of where it is.

Cryptic, all Odyssey captains know exactly where their Aquarius pet is -- it blew up right next to the exploding Cube.

Exactly :p

reverse the change and maybe give us something in the UI that we (and carriers for that matter) can use to track what's going on with our pets!
  • Options
    arawnaunarawnaun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess it is to much to ask for someone from cryptic to actually state if this is intentional or just some really strange bug... but it really has ruined any 'immersion' one gets from deploying their Aquarius... it's just ridiculous the way is.

If its intentional... wow... really are employing some big time minds there cryptic.
  • Options
    feeblezakfeeblezak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Very immersion breaking. I will not use this ability again because of this crippling glitch or wahtever it is. Is there really any reason to make it swell to the same size as my odyessy? i can see it fine the size it is.
  • Options
    rainynrainyn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I noticed this as well. The Aquarius used to much smaller before LoR than it is now. I'm pretty sure it was done to make the Aquarius more visible, which makes sense from a design persective... but I hate it. I hope it goes back to being like it was - tiny and awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    rainyn wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed this as well. The Aquarius used to much smaller before LoR than it is now. I'm pretty sure it was done to make the Aquarius more visible, which makes sense from a design persective... but I hate it. I hope it goes back to being like it was - tiny and awesome.

It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact when it undocks from my odyessy it expands like a balloon to almost triple its original size. What the hell? It was perfectly fine the way it was.
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'ts kinda funny :D
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mrkollins wrote: »
    I'ts kinda funny :D

No, its just immersion breaking, annoying and completely unnecessary.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For me personally Scaling has always been a HUGE issue in this game, It has been... and will always be... Terrible...

Initially we were told it was due to the camera tech as well as loading reasons, hence why all of the interiors are so huge on the inside and why ships are so similar in size. But after so many years they finally put out a few interiors that were more to scale (TOS bridge being the best i hear) as well as the decently made runabout interior, which was showcase stupidly as the interior of the type 2 shuttle which is smaller on the outside than the interior on the inside.... Go Cryptic.

The tech has changed a lot in the time since beta, and to be honest i feel like Cryptic has done a terrible job adapting older things to show this, much like how all custom skin ends at the neck, they're making no effort to fix these things to make the game better as a whole but instead just moving on to ty and add the next shiny instead of fixing things that should be fixed or updated.

In terms of scaling i would LOVE to have these things be more accurately portrayed. They should go through and find a better balance between ships, my tiny two man craft shouldn't be THAT big next to a Galaxy class. we have autolock targeting, so it's not like a galaxy NEEDS to be able to see every detail of the fighter shooting at it. When fighting against a galaxy, the fighter needs to feel the magnitude of how big the ship is in comparison. The ships already autoscale the camera depending on their size, but why not scale down the perspective depending on the ship size as well?

Why not make space and large ships a little larger in size and small ships and their perspective that much smaller? That way you're not adjusting the size of the ships too much, but still getting the desired effect? Is that even possible? to change the perspective size rather than the ship size? Like making the camera a lot smaller for smaller craft, so while playing on them you seem normal, but normal things seem to be huge? If it is of course all craft would need to readjust their sizes to be more realistic, but at the same time it would please a lot of people.

As a side note, it would be nice to have realistic small craft interiors as well, even if it just means sitting room only with me and a Boff at the controls all zoomed in. It would give a great feel for going to interiors instead of having the huge runabout interior for a small scorpion fighter cockpit which is just plain lazy on cryptics part.
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    feeblezak wrote: »
    No, its just immersion breaking, annoying and completely unnecessary.

You are overreacting, there are tons of bugs needed to squash first and I'm sure this is not intended.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    mongomongo Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Please Please change the ship size back.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    romeogolfromeogolf Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have a tact Oddy, the idea of carrying a small ship tjat detached from the main one was genius...but the different size between the animation and the fighting acquarius just ruined everything, besides with the new ui most of the problems about tracking pets are solved and altought it doesn't apply to the acquarius tracking it is simple: if you hear phaser cannon fire it's there, if you don't it has been destroyed (grandmother's methods are always the best).
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    not having ds9 dwarfed by most of teh ships in teh game helps
    Seems about the right size to me... Watch any of the episodes with a Galaxy class next to it, now hop in game and fly an exploration cruiser over there - if anything, DS9 should shrink a bit.

Have they stopped hanger craft doing the same thing? I remember my Runabouts being bulkier than my Vesta at LoR release...
    edited July 2013
    mongo wrote: »
    Please Please change the ship size back.

It's a bug that should hopefully be fixed soon -- our ship artists are looking into it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a bug that should hopefully be fixed soon -- our ship artists are looking into it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Good to know it has been recognised and is being fixed :)
    I hated to use the Aqaruis because of that bug, kinda annoying...
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skollulfr wrote: »
    and from an 'atmosphere' perspective, not having ds9 dwarfed by most of teh ships in teh game helps

DS9 was never a large station, it was not designed for what it was basically used for, a repair/staging area for large military ships, if i recall correctly, DS9 was an orbital refining facility, which means it ususally only worked with cargo ships.