test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #47 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #47 : "There are 47!"
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #47 : "There are 47!".
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hubawuh?!

This is going to be a VERY interesting two weeks I think ;)
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've always worked the number 47 into each of my stories and chapters of stories... :cool:
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited July 2013
  • patchouli19patchouli19 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, now I think I'm going to replay through mission to find that now...

Also: inb4 Agent 47 from the "Hitman" series :D
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There! Are! 47! Lights!

;) still have more of Schrodi to write and mandatory online work training (wheee) but I'll try to come up with something.
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Very interesting.

Not sure if I'll be able to participate or not, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for what everyone else comes up with. :D :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hmm, this will require some thinking...:confused:
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't get it. Where are there 47 references to anything in STO? :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited July 2013
    @mattias078 - Did you ever play the Blue Planet RPG (Biohazard, GURPS or that other company version) by chance? OR have you read the David Brin "Uplift" series? Otherwise, I was hoping for more than 2 sentences :D
    edited July 2013
    I've got an idea for an entry that will tie in to The Road.

Still working on chapter 8 though...

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hello all,

I've posted my attempts for challenges 46 and 47...and on reading them after a few hours, I'm not too pleased with them.

So, question...has it been informally (or formally) decided how many times one could go back to tweak it?

I ask because if you read one version...and it wasn't to your liking...would you go back multiple times if told that "improvements" were made?

Or should one wait until they're satisfied before submitting?

Just curious.

Oh...backstory to why the Vulcan in 47 doesn't sound like a Vulcan...it's intentional...I envision this particular Vulcan as having melded with humans so much that he's "gone native", so to speak. You know, like when your friends are so close you subconsciously adopt each other's mannerisms and speech patterns.
    edited July 2013
    masopw wrote: »
    Hello all,

I've posted my attempts for challenges 46 and 47...and on reading them after a few hours, I'm not too pleased with them.

So, question...has it been informally (or formally) decided how many times one could go back to tweak it?

I ask because if you read one version...and it wasn't to your liking...would you go back multiple times if told that "improvements" were made?

Or should one wait until they're satisfied before submitting?

Welcome aboard!

No, there isn't any limit to how often you can go back and make revisions. You can even start an entry, leave it unfinished and come back to add to it later. (It's a good idea to add a "Work In Progress" disclaimer in that case though.)

You just need to limit yourself to one entry per topic (unless Bran says otherwise) and follow the rest of his rules (like staying on-topic for the LC.)

I look forward to reading your entries when I get a chance. Right now I'm trying to finish off a massive fanfic project of my own.

- Anne Bredon
    edited July 2013
    @masopw - I agree with sander: change what you need when you need. But - as a courtesy to the readers - please let us know what is posted is intentionally incomplete or at least post in the Discussion thread that you have made amendments. These aren't rules of course, just consider how you would want to be treated as a reader :)

Other than that, have at it and I look forward to reading your work :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow, Sovak, are you sure you're not a Romulan? :)

I liked it. Seems like the sort of thing Section 31 might have "convinced" a Maquis strike team to do during the War.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited July 2013
    @sharpie65 - Something BIG is brewing ... do you plan to add more to the post?

@grylak - lol, the Tribble idea has been used for the topic! So ... just how are they going to do it?

@masopw - Man, don't change a thing! I think this was a great intro to some characters while also giving the readers a taste that there is A LOT more to them than this one scene. Save more for later imo. :)

@patrickngo - Whew, a lot happened in this short piece! Sovak IS a sick man :P
    edited July 2013
    patrickngo wrote: »
    "For a vulcan, you are a sick, sick man, Sovak"
    *Gasps in childlike delight*

I think I have a new favorite character of yours.

- Anne Bredon
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    @grylak - lol, the Tribble idea has been used for the topic! So ... just how are they going to do it?

Since Xui Li is the one who keeps the tribbles in game, and was added to her in game bio, it was too perfect a setup not to use.

Hmmm. Perhaps a really big bbq? :eek:

Oooh, this has given me an idea for a future story I can work in.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited July 2013
    Enrico Montoya, Saul Moskowitz, Drake Tran, and some of their friends from the Maquis days doing naughty, naughty things on behalf of the Federation during the Dominion war (late period). This was, ironically, a team that included one Starfleet 'plant' (Montoya) and one Starfleet Intelligence officer so green he'd never seen combat, much less the kind of nasty small-unit stuff that 'teams' (whether legally MACO, or "Contractors" from Section 31) were doing behind the scenes.

Supercool entry :cool:

Out of curiosity (no beef, just genuinely curious) how did you come up with the name Sovak? I only wonder as that was the name of the Vulcan Master that Marcus studied under as a boy, after his mother's death :D Of course, there's going to be more than one dude with the same name, it just made me chuckle :D Equally, I think he made the most logical decision to ensure a smooth resolution to the mission :cool:
    edited July 2013
    TBH I just needed "a vulcan sounding name". so I picked one out of the hat, but it would be HILARIOUS if they were the same vulcan, and I'll agree-it's the logical course of action, maybe not the most ETHICALLY SOUND course, or the most MORAL course, but definitely the most logical course from the options available at the time.

Sovak would have been pushing 200 when Marcus studied under him in the 2340s, I think it must just be the Vulcan equivalent of James, or some equally popular name :D

In a few weeks, after I've finished season 1 of "The Chase" I'll be working on a story that focuses on the Dominion War era/Maquis era called "Off the Books", wherein we'll meet everyone from Drake Tran's old Maquis cell, and the Starfleet Intelligence/Klingon Intelligence officers that used/supplied/manipulated/supported them.

With permission, of course, I hope to be able to hit on several other story-continuties' backgrounds (i.e. I'll be hitting up some of you fine LC authors for people to populate the critical supporting cast roles!)

Unlike "the Chase" which started with a rough background and is already growing past it, "Off the Books" has a known endpoint-the rescue of survivors from Tran's team when deep-penetration mission went bad near the close of the war (cutscenes shown in "The Road To Ruin" by Sander233.)
    I'll look forward to it, and you may like the entry I'm going to be posting in the next hour or so, as it's set in the same timeframe ;)
    edited July 2013
    Stepping up the pace with this entry...

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Marcus Kane - Matt Bomer
    Paige - Olivia Thirlby
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    TBH I just needed "a vulcan sounding name". so I picked one out of the hat, but it would be HILARIOUS if they were the same vulcan, and I'll agree-it's the logical course of action, maybe not the most ETHICALLY SOUND course, or the most MORAL course, but definitely the most logical course from the options available at the time.

In a few weeks, after I've finished season 1 of "The Chase" I'll be working on a story that focuses on the Dominion War era/Maquis era called "Off the Books", wherein we'll meet everyone from Drake Tran's old Maquis cell, and the Starfleet Intelligence/Klingon Intelligence officers that used/supplied/manipulated/supported them.

With permission, of course, I hope to be able to hit on several other story-continuties' backgrounds (i.e. I'll be hitting up some of you fine LC authors for people to populate the critical supporting cast roles!)

Unlike "the Chase" which started with a rough background and is already growing past it, "Off the Books" has a known endpoint-the rescue of survivors from Tran's team when deep-penetration mission went bad near the close of the war (cutscenes shown in "The Road To Ruin" by Sander233.)

it seems like a lot of vulcan names are similar, but it is the most logical action. The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few, or the one. Especially when the one is a traitor. :D

If you want to use anyone I've got for supporting cast feel free. :cool:
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

• masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey all...

Thanks for the kind words!

I figured that I'd use my first foray with #45, Freestyle, to set up the turning point for the Captain...that Q semi-induced fracturing of the mirror universe and alternate realities...the time where trauma is so much that coping mechanisms that got him though past events are no longer adequate. #46, which was late...sorry...was an intro to the cranky CMO of the Bonaventure, a la Bones, who touches on the after effects of #45.

I'll use whatever future challenges come up as a set up for either flashbacks or moving on to where things try to get back to a "new normal" for our crew.

Quick "Coles Notes" backstory & characters:

--Captain of the Bonaventure, haven't decided yet which toon to name him after! (Trying to use 'traditional' ranks...Admirals don't sit in the center seat...) Our protagonist. Stereotypical hard charger through the Academy, hot shot with something to prove. Invented the 'OG', Omicron Group, as a super-elite...in his mind...subset of Red Squad. Lost the Yorktown under mysterious circumstances...was initially blamed for it, had to fight to prove his innocence.

--Captain Sotek, CO of the Honolulu. Member of the OG, closest friend to the protagonist. Was XO of the Yorktown when it was lost.

--Commander L'naa, XO of the Bonaventure. Member of the OG. One third of a love triangle between our protagonist and another member of the OG while at the Academy. Vulcan with some very strong telepathic & empathic abilities.

--Ensign R'nee, deceased. Member of the OG, the last third of the Academy love triangle. Vulcan in the most brutal, cut to the chase, zero emotion way possible. Died in the STO universe when some accident occurred shortly after graduation. Reappeared alive in the Q/Mirror/Alternate universe incident (#45) which is the breaking point for our Captain and his XO.

--Sara & Arky. Last members of the OG. Married on the day of that accident that claimed R'nee. Fate to be disclosed in some future challenge...

--CMO of the Bonaventure. Commander in Starfleet Reserve, brought back after retirement due to the Klingon war, very much against his will. Always running a scheme, has a love/hate relationship with the crew...but feels like each of them are his grandchildren. Except, for some reason, the Andorians...

--Bonaventure, a Sci-Oddy, and her Aquarius, the Rouge Valley. The ship is always a member of the story!
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wrote my story today and will edit it later. I am glad that no one has thought of my use of 47 yet. For now, here are some comments.

@ sharpie65 - can you flesh this out some more?

@ grylak - yeah, I can see how humans would discard reason and have tribble pets.

@ masopw - I thought that was interesting. I need to go back and read your other posts. Feel free to bend the LC prompt a little too if you'd like...I do that fairly often and no one has kicked me out yet.
    edited July 2013
    Part VIII of The Road is now up. :cool:

I wound having to split chapters again so there will be a Part IX, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Now to take a breather and catch up on some reading...

- Anne Bredon
  • rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    added mine.

It *might* be useful to read my submission to 46, as I managed to tie it in with that one.