test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What would it take to make you play shuttle content?

similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
As we all now, shuttle content isn't exactly the most popular part of the game.
I wazs recently thinking about this, and as much as I love the aesthetics of it, I simply can't tolerate the lack of Boff abilities.

So what puts you off?

Comments

• Options
    urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they just extended the damn timer on the current shuttle mission.. atmosphere assault.. I think more would play it... Upping the reward for the time invested is not a bad idea too.

As it is now.. WAY too hard for pugging purposes.

Fun otherwise.

We need more missions like this.. big maps.. pew pew with objectives.

All shuttle content is just too time restrained IMO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • Options
    goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well first of all I do not own a Shuttle. Ages ago since I removed them.

What I can remember: I don't know if it's still an issue/bug, but if you had your starship as primary and you would like to know the stats for... lets say a shield, the stats for the shuttle would show up.
    When you got damaged in Elite STFs and you like to repair during the STF you would first get the shuttle info and had to switch to your starship and THEN fix your ship..

Small but so F***** anoying.... FOR ME that is. Not speaking for everyone.

And just alot of that kind of bugs, I just got fed up with it and removed all my shuttles. That did help me! My problems with shuttles were gone!

With all other things/bugs/issues that gets totally ignored by Cryptic/PWE there is not much to put me over the edge and go postal over the silliest thing.

My 2 cents
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd play more of the shuttle missions if they where integrated more into overall gameplay.

For me that means:
    • No need to manually change into a shuttle to queue for a shuttle event, you automatically warp in to a map in your designated shuttle.
    • Shuttlebay interiors, reflecting owned vessels.
    • Ability to switch to a launched shuttle during any content. This places your ship on AI setting and you gain a slight defence bonus (beyond normal) from enemies for being a quick agile craft (but a dps reduction, naturally).
    • Weapons/ability FX updated so that it can correctly interpret when being fired from or fired at a small starship, and not be wildly over-scaled.
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    goltzhar wrote: »
    What I can remember: I don't know if it's still an issue/bug, but if you had your starship as primary and you would like to know the stats for... lets say a shield, the stats for the shuttle would show up.
    When you got damaged in Elite STFs and you like to repair during the STF you would first get the shuttle info and had to switch to your starship and THEN fix your ship..

Yeah that still happens :P
    edited July 2013
    A lobotomy?
    Hypnosis?
    A gun to my head?

Hrmm, those are some of the things that come to mind about making me play shuttle content.

As for what puts me off? I think it's simpler to say that nothing puts me on about shuttles...not a single thing comes to mind.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    similon wrote: »
    So what puts you off?

Having to change ships.

Having only 1 or 2 BOFF powers, and spamming a couple of beam arrays.

If I want to be L1 again, I'll just roll a new character.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would play more shuttle content if regular beams didn't miss every other shot. Even my regular ship doesn't miss small craft this often. Besides that, more shuttle specific weapons, a few more slots and boffs and more reason to get in a shuttle. I would love it if all the exploration sectors were scaled for shuttles and you could only enter an exploration system in a shuttle or one of the trade freighters.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Small craft adventures? No thanks. I'd much rather the Devs spend their resources building Full-sized craft adventures.
    similon wrote: »
    So what puts you off?
    Having to change ships.

Having only 1 or 2 BOFF powers, and spamming a couple of beam arrays.

If I want to be L1 again, I'll just roll a new character.
    These, exactly. Agreed +1.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A lobotomy?
    Hypnosis?
    A gun to my head?

Hrmm, those are some of the things that come to mind about making me play shuttle content.

As for what puts me off? I think it's simpler to say that nothing puts me on about shuttles...not a single thing comes to mind.

Oh My Gods... you just made my morning Thank You! :) ROFL
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The main missing is end game level shuttles. The pidly shuttles we have are sucktastic with only 1 boff power for a runabout which on screen has like 4 stations, i think.

Maybe if we got a runabout with 3 lt boff slots and some decent weapons to choose from I might get interested. Until then, no thanks
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    jadensecurajadensecura Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For me the problem with shuttles is that they are so very limited. Most of the fun I have in this game is planning out a reliable, powerful build and watching it work. Shuttles simply don't have the space for that. Plus it's a pain to fight other shuttle-sized craft because they're so fast that you end up running circles around each other.
  • Options
    miri2miri2 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For me the problem with shuttles is that they are so very limited. Most of the fun I have in this game is planning out a reliable, powerful build and watching it work. Shuttles simply don't have the space for that. Plus it's a pain to fight other shuttle-sized craft because they're so fast that you end up running circles around each other.
    As someone who really likes shuttle missions (the Vault Shuttle Event is probably my favorite thing on the PvE queue), I have to say that the two things you're taking issue with are two of the major selling points for me.
    The (relatively) simplified and streamlined operating of a shuttle's powers gives me more attention that I can pay to helm control. And I really, really enjoy the practice and maneuvering that goes into shuttle vs. shuttle combat.*

You're right that shuttle builds are limited. That scarcity present a different set of challenges than outfitting a full-on starship. And I like different. Different is good.*

The two shuttle events get bonus points from me because they're actually pretty hard, which is really refreshing. I find difficult tasks far less likely to become monotonous, like the three core STFs usually are.

* When one first starts doing shuttle missions, yeah, it can be tricky to keep anything forward-facing on-target for very long. You just need to develop different tactics to engage other small craft than you would use against cruisers or cubes.
    I fly a standard runabout with the Jem'hadar set and a pair of polaron beam banks. I've found ways to fly my shuttle such that I rarely feel like I'm being flown circles around. I'm hardly super-skilled at this game or anything-- it just takes practice is all. :)

* Exceptions apply, of course. For me, though, shuttle missions are good-different instead of bad-different or different-different.
    “True success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”
    -- Winston Churchill
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think the only "shuttle" mission I enjoyed was Best Defense before they nerfed it. No, not the atmospheric part - that was rather tedious. It was being half-asleep and doing the orbital part in a shuttle before it was nerfed. Yes, fighting multiple Monbosh, S'golth, and Qulash while in a shuttle.

edit: Don't get me wrong - I got popped a few times; but it was more fun than just flying around in circles waiting for targets to die which is what most shuttle content is...meh.

Which to an extent brings up a point that might satisfy some folks...why not just run any of the non-STF/Fleet action missions/episodes/etc in a shuttle?
  • Options
    claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    IMHO shuttles are just not good for group event content, they are just too fragile and under gunned. Events are chaotic enough if everyone doesn't know what their doing and in a shuttle things can go south to easily and too fast and never seem to recover from there.

I would like to see more solo shuttle content perhaps even random encounters similar to the exploration clusters.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    it was more fun than just flying around in circles waiting for targets to die which is what most shuttle content is...
    I can't speak specifically to The Best Defense (I got my Reman engineer to level 9 before I remembered that I had IRL-y things that needed my time more), but I'm getting the impression that you were running a build more focused on 360-degree weapons than anything else.
    I'm not going to say that you're doing it wrong, because you're not, but I would venture that such builds are the boring way to play a shuttle. Easier, but boring.
    claransa wrote: »
    IMHO shuttles are just not good for group event content, they are just too fragile and under gunned. Events are chaotic enough if everyone doesn't know what their doing and in a shuttle things can go south to easily and too fast and never seem to recover from there.
    Honestly, a shuttle can put out some pretty impressive firepower, especially compared to the durability of their targets.*
    Shuttles are a bit fragile, sure-- insofar as they generally have poor access to healing. That said, one doesn't really die all that often most of the time if one keeps their speed up, plays with their shield power between furballs, and can put out enough damage to knock out their assailants quickly.
    A single shuttle still isn't a self-sufficient fighting force in the two shuttle events. Which is great, since it forces teamwork. I love it when a mission forces people to chat or otherwise coordinate.
    Things can get out of hand and be very difficult to recover from, yes. But that's what makes those missions challenging and fun-- because there's a real and likely chance of failure.*

Which to an extent brings up a point that might satisfy some folks...why not just run any of the non-STF/Fleet action missions/episodes/etc in a shuttle?
    Short answer is because the game doesn't let you. In the game's present build, a player has one starship and one shuttle "readied" at a given time. If you launch a starship mission, the game sticks you in your starship. Same deal if you launch a shuttle mission.
    Not that you'd want to even if you could, mind you...

* I'm bringing up my shuttle build again because it's what I have experience with, but it does crank out 2400 DPS at the top of its DBBs' firing cycle, before applying any damage buffs, like APA, Weapons Batteries, or BA:O. In fact, I recently discovered that my runabout can stack APA and Fire on My Target to strip the shields from a T'varo in the Vault event in under two firing cycles, then wipe out its entire allotment of Hull Points with a single Overload.
    I guess my point is that an offensively-weighted shuttle can really crank out the hurt in a shuttle mission. >)

* As far as Atmosphere Assault is concerned, I'm defining "failure" as 1) didn't get the optional for this wave; or 2) got crummy marks for allowing the shroomies to gut the local infrastructure.
    -- Winston Churchill
  • Options
    stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I did the same thing.

Got blown up a few times in elite stfs and wanted to repair the ship. And every. single. time. the shuttle came up. Drove me nuts so it got axed.

My shuttle-less existance is very balanced now. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    miri2 wrote: »
    Short answer is because the game doesn't let you. In the game's present build, a player has one starship and one shuttle "readied" at a given time. If you launch a starship mission, the game sticks you in your starship.

So on the guy that I just finished "Flying High" on, I decided to test this out. Hopped in his Danube and...

...picked up Secret Orders, headed to the Briar Patch, and tada - he's in his Danube.

...picked up Minefield, headed to the Sierra Outpost II System, and tada - he's in his Danube.

...picked up Badlands, headed to the Badlands System, and tada - he's in his Danube.

Etc, etc, etc...just set small craft as active and that will be the ship you do the mission in.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What puts me off about shuttles is the following:

Keeping things in a forward arc is nearly impossible because enemies whip around you at light speed and your forward arc is insanely tiny. So using a Fighter who's main thrill is using cannons means that you have to use a Turret or Single Cannon to ever hit anything instead of Dual Cannons like you see them using.

Our Fighters and Shuttles are pathetic compared to what is launched from the bays of Carriers. I would expect to have the same level of abilities and equipment as an Elite Fighter when flying my C-Store Fightercraft but NO... I am even more pathetic than the normal version aside from Captain abilities. I have less guns, less survivability, and less accuracy it would seem.

What it would take to make me like Shuttle Play more is this:

Stop sending me up against waves of enemy fighters and such... That is just the same thing in a pathetically weak ship instead of doing it in my normal monster. If I am in a shuttle I should be taking apart enemies from the inside out, blowing out key systems, shutting down specific parts of the enemy vessel rather than fighting swarms of little guys. I cannot help but think Star Fox here where you always had to gun down the weak spot of a big scary Boss ship and even went into the interior of enemy bases and had to blow away their cores.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What would it take? Well it might be too costly development-wise(no idea there), but if the shuttles function like actual shuttles. Instead of your huge starship magically disappearing when your shuttle is launched, have it stay, possibly so your ship or shuttle(s) can be NPC-controlled. Yes I'm aware of it being too much like carriers if it's like that, but a simple solution would be to disable shuttle launches while in combat.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I would expect to have the same level of abilities and equipment as an Elite Fighter when flying my C-Store Fightercraft but NO...

My current favorite is the playable Scorpion Fighter.

It can mount cannons, but can't actually take any cannon BOFF powers (nor has built in CRF like the Peregrine).
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    My current favorite is the playable Scorpion Fighter.

It can mount cannons, but can't actually take any cannon BOFF powers (nor has built in CRF like the Peregrine).

Well... It has the Overload power which sort of acts like CRF and Beam Overloads all in one. However, it does still suffer... I mean an Elite Scorp has THY I, Dual Plasma Cannons, A Plasma Turret, a Plasma Torpedo... Seems a bit unfair ours only has 2 Weapon Slots among other things.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So on the guy that I just finished "Flying High" on, I decided to test this out. Hopped in his Danube and...

...picked up Secret Orders, headed to the Briar Patch, and tada - he's in his Danube.

...picked up Minefield, headed to the Sierra Outpost II System, and tada - he's in his Danube.

...picked up Badlands, headed to the Badlands System, and tada - he's in his Danube.

Etc, etc, etc...just set small craft as active and that will be the ship you do the mission in.
    Huh. I'll have to try that, see what happens. Maybe it's just missions on the queues that behave the way I was thinking. I've pretty much just been running off of the PvE and PvP queues for quite a while now, which may have biased my experience a little. I'll have to give it a look-see, see what happens.
    -- Winston Churchill
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I guess I'd play more of them if there were more shuttle episode/missions. I like them, there's just not a whole lot of them.

Also, I think some shuttle events aren't all that well designed. For example, the Vault Shuttle mission is one I consistently always fail at the second room. In the last five attempts I remember having done, even doing my utmost to be everywhere, zap everything zappable and trigger mission objectives, the mission fails in the end because not all NPC enemies have been destroyed before the timer runs out.

It's really frustrating to fail, know why, try again later taking pains not to have the same happen, and see that even that effort is an exercise in futility.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Huh. I'll have to try that, see what happens. Maybe it's just missions on the queues that behave the way I was thinking. I've pretty much just been running off of the PvE and PvP queues for quite a while now, which may have biased my experience a little. I'll have to give it a look-see, see what happens.

Yeah, they changed the queues at some point - too many folks were complaining that people were trolling the queues with shuttles/fighters. There was a minor uproar about it from some folks asking that at least the private queues be left the same because they liked running shuttles/fighters...don't think Cryptic ever implemented the private change so people could still run shuttles/fighters.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    Also, I think some shuttle events aren't all that well designed. For example, the Vault Shuttle mission is one I consistently always fail at the second room. In the last five attempts I remember having done, even doing my utmost to be everywhere, zap everything zappable and trigger mission objectives, the mission fails in the end because not all NPC enemies have been destroyed before the timer runs out.

It's really frustrating to fail, know why, try again later taking pains not to have the same happen, and see that even that effort is an exercise in futility.

From my many, many runs at it (I got a Mk XII blue Reman set out of it, back before the NR reputation line-- that's a lot of runs!), I've come to the conclusion that the Vault Shuttle Event is designed in such a way that you need at least half of the team acting in a coordinated fashion to execute it correctly. And it's very well-designed for that purpose.
    In the second room, for example, you usually need to split up and go after the nodes in order to save time, and it really helps to have someone who will notice when a T'varo has agro on someone working a power core and who is willing to head over there to either draw the T'varo's fire, or just kill it quickly.

So, yeah, it can get pretty frustrating when you have a team of no-talkers trying to Kirk it up in there. The mission is designed for pretty much the exact opposite play-style.
    *Shrugs* Maybe I'm just weird, but VSE seems to be one of only two, maybe three missions in STO right now that really require adaptive coordination and cross-chatter to do well at. Which, y'know, I think is pretty cool of it.
    -- Winston Churchill
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    From my many, many runs at it (I got a Mk XII blue Reman set out of it, back before the NR reputation line-- that's a lot of runs!), I've come to the conclusion that the Vault Shuttle Event is designed in such a way that you need at least half of the team acting in a coordinated fashion to execute it correctly. And it's very well-designed for that purpose.
    In the second room, for example, you usually need to split up and go after the nodes in order to save time, and it really helps to have someone who will notice when a T'varo has agro on someone working a power core and who is willing to head over there to either draw the T'varo's fire, or just kill it quickly.

So, yeah, it can get pretty frustrating when you have a team of no-talkers trying to Kirk it up in there. The mission is designed for pretty much the exact opposite play-style.
    *Shrugs* Maybe I'm just weird, but VSE seems to be one of only two, maybe three missions in STO right now that really require adaptive coordination and cross-chatter to do well at. Which, y'know, I think is pretty cool of it.

I find it frustrating that it is not very well explained what you are supposed to be doing in many cases so coordinating becomes hard without having someone who has done it before with you. Even then because you do not have much in the way of prep time to talk it over you are IMMEDIATELY on the clock trying to get things in order on the fly with folks who may or may not understand you or cooperate...

I still say STO is the most SILENT MMO I have EVER played. People hardly ever say a darn thing in STO.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    I still say STO is the most SILENT MMO I have EVER played. People hardly ever say a darn thing in STO.

It's one shard/server for the international community at large - it's quite possible that if more folks were speaking, you might not understand what they were saying anyway.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For me there are currently a few thing that put me off the shuttle missions, some are minor, one is rather big.

1) The starship-shuttle transition. It constantly messes up my UI when I switch.

2) Athmosphere Assault: You start it on through the queues, for example, after you finish, you'll always end up somewhere in Romulan nowhere-land in your shuttlecraft. It's just too tedious to limp back to Q'onos, Sol or the far side of Cardassian space where I started, every time I finish the mission

3) The Vault: While it's fun in a fixed group, it's too much of a gamble in a PuG, since you only get rewards when you finsih the whole thing. Rewards for finsishing partial objectives, as in most other queue event would be better.

4) There are a few things which make shuttle events into true P2W content. Certain consoles and weapons that are only obtainable through the store and that only have minor impact on "big ship" gameplay are way over the top in shuttle content (point-defense, precise lockbox trait or theta radiation comes to mind). 5 ships running point-defense consoles and that time them somewhat make athmosphere assualt, an otherwise challenging encounter almost trivial.
  • Options
    seitei1seitei1 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Excessive target health as compared to firepower.

The Shuttle Weapons are poor-you're better off mounting a 'Big Craft' weapon.

Even then, you have two Fore Slots. Whilst this makes Beam Overload a viable choice(You're not sacrificing anything for it), it means your targets need to be fairly weak themselves. The walkers of Atmosphere Assault are my first thought as an example of something which is horrifically strong for even a team of 5 shuttles to take down. Massive health, massive shielding, and you've got two weapons each. 1.1 if one of them is a Torpedo till the shields drop, 1.5 if the torpedo is a Harg'Peng(That secondary explosion is nice).

Bad means to deal with multiple targets. Fire At Will can only do so much with two beams tops.

Lack of powers. One universal slot means there's only so much you can do in terms of offence OR defence. If you choose defence, you're doing normal shots only. If you choose offence, there's little you can do to keep yourself from death.

Shuttles are a good thing to use the various Sets on, as they need all the help they can get.
  • Options
    arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Small but so F***** anoying.... FOR ME that is. Not speaking for everyone.

And just alot of that kind of bugs, I just got fed up with it and removed all my shuttles. That did help me! My problems with shuttles were gone!

Oh you're not the only one, believe me.