test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shrapnel Torpedo underpowered?

raslekx626raslekx626 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
i got the adapted destroyer a few weeks ago and iv been using the shrapnel torpedo and every time i shoot her out i don't see a noticed much of a difference like less of one then with the bio neural torpedo and that's not hard to get where as the shrapnel is one of the things that makes the lock box ship special i shoot when shields are low or off so am i doing it wrong or is it really that crappy and the torpedo that so many have waited for comes in and is TRIBBLE and would never take the enterprise like it does in the movie
To understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith. The dark side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must SEEK POWER ABOVE ALL ELSE WITH NO RESERVATION OR HESITATION.
Post edited by raslekx626 on

Comments

• corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ya, the torpedo is pretty weak. Even specced into torpedo dmg skills. but what makes that console worth it is having both the consoles together. The one from the Adapted Battle Cruiser and the Destroyer.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's quite pretty to watch it fire though. Anybody used the Ferengi missile (outta the lobi store) with a Torp spread 3 and fire this at the same time?
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Shrapnel Torpedo console should have been a dedicated torpedo launcher -- this way it could have a standard single torpedo firing mode and a MIRV style attack. Also, the shrapnel torps are destructable, so shooting it in combination with other AoE burst effects tends to destroy the shrapnel torps before they ever get near their target. Lastly, they are somewhat difficult to see due to lack of a rear rocket flare.

Yes, the Shrapnel Torpedo console needs to be reworked.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    It's quite pretty to watch it fire though. Anybody used the Ferengi missile (outta the lobi store) with a Torp spread 3 and fire this at the same time?

*raises hand*

but i build my Ships more with the *has to look like on TV*-mindset than the *need max DPS ACC blah for PvP*-attribute.

the shrapnel torps are nice for high health single targets with downed shields when you are close already, they fly slow, even NPCs shoot them down rather often (Tholians mostly).
    + Lobi Store Torp + Kinetic Cutting beam = OK kinetic damage... all i need now is that Borg Rep Project to bypass shields, but *bleh* Rep Systems *got better stuff to do.... double XP weekend in Marvel Heroes for example which is still FUN and not GRIND yet*... ask me again in a few months or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mercenary4hiremercenary4hire Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Would be nice to get a significant damage boost
  • johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I think it needs a boost in the damage casued, its supposed to replicate the torps used by the narada, according to its fluff, and they were able to rip the hull of the fed ship into shreds, I dont think we need it o be that powerfull but the ability to cause noticable damage would be nice.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are we forgetting that the Narada was a Romulan ship modified with Borg tech in the 24th century before being pulled back into the 23rd century? The reason it appeared so powerful on screen was because it was technologically superior to the Fed ships of that time period. If you're gonna question the torpedoes destructive capability or lack thereof, don't compare the damage it does now to what you saw on screen.

For a lockbox ships people sure did get con'd but hey, it's perfectly fine flying a ship just because you like the design of the ship.
  • kanglorkanglor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I pretty quickly removed it from my ship, which is too bad cause I'd like for it to be a bit more effective, maybe lower the cooldown, or redesign it as an actual weapon perhaps.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    defalus wrote: »
    Are we forgetting that the Narada was a Romulan ship modified with Borg tech in the 24th century before being pulled back into the 23rd century? The reason it appeared so powerful on screen was because it was technologically superior to the Fed ships of that time period. If you're gonna question the torpedoes destructive capability or lack thereof, don't compare the damage it does now to what you saw on screen.

The only reason why it ripped the hull of "Fed ships" is that the Narada came from the TNG/DS9/VOY time period, which is more advanced in technology than from the "TOS era" that JJ-verse tries to show.

It's like taking the Battleship Yamato to shoot at an old school, US Civil War Ironclad, and proclaiming how more powerful the Yamato's 18-inch guns need to be portrayed.

The difference in technology was far more advanced in the different eras, even though it's between mainline Star Trek and JJ-Trek.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tairisdeamhantairisdeamhan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is annoying how underpowered it is for such a difficult to acquire ship.
  • raslekx626raslekx626 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013

that is true but you can still fly 23rd century ships and still vs them it dosent do very much i think that it should at least do as well as the romulan plasma torp since its romulan mixed with borg the romulans would try to make something better then anythjing they have with the borg tech not something that weak
    To understand the underlying philosophy of the Sith. The dark side offers power for power's sake. You must crave it. Covet it. You must SEEK POWER ABOVE ALL ELSE WITH NO RESERVATION OR HESITATION.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Except it singlehandedly destroyed 47 Klingon ships back in the 24th century.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • raslekx626raslekx626 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

thats part of my problem i was one of the many that wanted the torpedo so badly and i got the ship in part for that reason but its a mega let down and to really make it worth it i need the other ship but since im not on so often atm i cant make the cash but i shouldent have to get both ships to make 1 any good i should be able to at least get the usefulness of the romulan one with the romulan one available to anyone if they give it time unlike the shrapnel witch you need a hole friken ship for. i dont expect it to ever cripple a cube but 20-25% if evry single one of them hit the hull with no shields
  • mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mrspidey2 wrote: »

The Narada destroyed 47 Klingon ships in the 23rd Century. Uhura says this in JJ's movie.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    The Shrapnel Torpedo console should have been a dedicated torpedo launcher -- this way it could have a standard single torpedo firing mode and a MIRV style attack. Also, the shrapnel torps are destructable, so shooting it in combination with other AoE burst effects tends to destroy the shrapnel torps before they ever get near their target. Lastly, they are somewhat difficult to see due to lack of a rear rocket flare.

Yes, the Shrapnel Torpedo console needs to be reworked.

The Shrapnel torps are destructible ONLY while in their single form. Once dispersed they're untouchable.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The one thing I have learned is that ship consoles tend to sound good in theory, only to be not as effective as people want. This concept is what has, and continues to draw people into spending money to get the ship in the first place. A money marketing concept which has, and continues to work today.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've never fired it or been shot by it. But I'll give you my 2 cents...

It has a 2min cool-down. So either it's underpowered for such a long cool-down or I'd have seen hundreds of posts about it being OP. I've not seen the latter so... ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • kishodarkishodar Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Shrapnel Torpedo console is very disappointing. It should have been a ship weapon that used the 3-shot system like the Romulan reputation torpedo launcher.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well I'd say plasmonic leech dwarfs anything out there. That and aceton assimilator.

Sure enough there are a lot of ridiculous consoles, shrapnel torpedo being one of them.