test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ki Baratan, Mol'rihan

bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Romulan Discussion
When will the Citadel be opened to Romulan characters, will it be opened with and when the Reman City opens?
R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ki Baratan was the (non-canonical) name (actually, there were three non-canonical names, but this one became the "standard" in Pocket Books) of the capitol city on ch'Rihan (old Romulus), which was destroyed by the Hobus supernova:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan_Senate
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Ki_Baratan

Nothing says the capitol city on the new Romulan homeworld cannot have the same name, but since the original Ki Baratan was the capitol of the Romulan Star Empire, some of those who suffered under the imperial government might have invested the name with some negative emotive value

Edit: Of the various non-canonical names that have been invented for the old Romulan capitol, I personally like "Val'danadex Trel" the best; it just looks more Romulan than the other two.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do see where you are coming from, but either way, just having New Romulus Command and the Embassies, even for a Romulan faction character, seems a bit limited for just those two locations, and I have heard that the Reman City might be opened up in the future, so opening up the "Citadel", at least in a way that is similar to Qo'nos would certainly make a lot of sense.

p.s. Since you have turned a simple question into an issue of in-game politics, my character is part of the Star Navy & the Praetorian Guard, so the Republic can go kreldanni llhusra themselves.
    R E M A I N

• bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can FED then finaly have access to earth (wanna see if my house is still there).. lol
    edited July 2013
    bltrrn wrote: »
    I do see where you are coming from, but either way, just having New Romulus Command and the Embassies, even for a Romulan faction character, seems a bit limited for just those two locations, and I have heard that the Reman City might be opened up in the future, so opening up the "Citadel", at least in a way that is similar to Qo'nos would certainly make a lot of sense.

p.s. Since you have turned a simple question into an issue of in-game politics, my character is part of the Star Navy & the Praetorian Guard, so the Republic can go kreldanni llhusra themselves.

I think we should get our own Academy, yes, but as for making a New Romulan Citadel as a counterpart to ESD and the First City, we already have the Flotilla to serve that purpose. Would it be nice to see more of Mol'Rihan? Absolutely, but it would also be nice to see more of Earth and Qo'noS, and if further expansion to maps is made for one faction, it will have to be done for all factions.

PS - I didn't turn anything into politics, but simply pointed out a political reality in-game that should be considered in the context of your suggestion.

Also, in response to your stated allegiance (as it seems that you would like to go there), rather than type it all out again, I'm going to instead quote a post I have already made, which links to other posts I have made:
    protogoth wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't see Nniol agreeing to an alliance with the woman who granted the Hirogen the right to hunt sapient species - including Romulans - within Imperial territory in exchange for them supplying her with the muscle to seize the throne. Sela's out of the question.
    And this. Seriously. Sela is for Sela, and nobody else. All her actions are motivated by self-serving and self-absorbed goals.

To those whose objection to D'Tan and the New Romulan Republic is based on D'Tan being a Reunificationist, first of all, D'Tan is one man, and not everyone in the Republic is in favor of Reunification. Second of all, you need to understand what Reunification means, rather than what most opponents claim it means (for the record, I'm not in favor of Reunification, at least not at this time). By way of explanation, I offer this discussion:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10576271#post10576271

To those who object to D'Tan and the New Romulan Republic based on claims that D'Tan is some sort of "dictator," I offer this (note that I quote myself from the discussion just linked above before addressing the main issue of contention below the self quote):
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10682191&posted=1#post10682191

Finally, to those who refuse to admit what the Romulan Star Empire has become:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10912131#post10912131
    edited July 2013
    Oh, boohoo; D'tan braces to the Alpha Quadrant like a coward. Even before the "Republic" was given any credit at all, their was already significant opposition to the Tal'Shiar within the Star Empire, and does the "Republic" even have a Senate, because it seems that these "Reunificationists" rule everything from on high, not unlike Sela, and do not lecture on the meaning of Reunification, because I am one already, just one on the more conservative side of things.

p.s. Question: What madman would put his place of government in a Battle Group/Flotilla?
    Answer: D'tan.
    R E M A I N

• royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Edit: Of the various non-canonical names that have been invented for the old Romulan capitol, I personally like "Val'danadex Trel" the best; it just looks more Romulan than the other two.
    Never saw that one. Duane used "Ra'tleihfi" and since she was primarily responsible for authoring the Rihannsu language, that's the one I'd stick with.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • stonedpenguinstonedpenguin Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    Ingame the flotilla acts as a go between for levels 1-10. It is all well and good to have a flotilla but its not really the hub of our people after you make your choice.

It would be nice to have the Reman slums opened. Of course this is D'tans time so it will probably be all flowers and prestine buildings.

Citadel would be nice, perhaps fixing the door inside the command center to allow you access to embassy aswell...instead of going to command center>staging area>embassy doesn't really make sense the door magically changes its exit.
    edited July 2013
    Death to D'tan and Unification!

As your Yeoman brings her PADD for you to initial on orders, she surreptitiously slips a small, cloaked listening device on the captain's chair. When you have handed the PADD back to her, she leaves the bridge via the turbolift, leaving no one the wiser as to her bug. En route to the shuttlebay, she hastily alters her uniform and hairstyle, and emerges from the turbolift in a science duty uniform. She checks in with the shuttle requisitions officer, showing him her PADD with your initial on an order for a Kestrel runabout Fnord, then she boards the small craft accompanied by an Orion woman in Orion princess dancing attire of a typical sort, and the two depart the hangar. Going to full impulse, they are quickly lost in the darkness of space, and activate the Kestrel's cloak before warping out of the system.

"I think that was quite a profitable safari, galae'Enriov," the Orion "slavegirl" notes.

"Agreed, Vishka. Eyes and ears on the situation, as usual," the science "duty officer" nods. "The pheromone enhancement seemed to help as well. Set course for Qo'noS and engage the quantum slipstream drive, Commander. We'll rendezvous with the Memenda there and beam you back to the First City."

"Yes, Admiral t'Prell."

And another dissident is unknowingly under the surveillance of Klingon Intelligence and the New Romulan Republic's Tal'Diann, the same Tal'Diann that has fought the Tal'Shiar for generations.

On topic:

"Ra'tleihfi" was at one time a capitol of the Rihannsu Stelam Shiar, it is sure.

However, empires and kingdoms move capitols at times, for various reasons, a fact I overlooked in my earlier comments in this thread.

The capitol of the Kingdom of Scots was Dunatt, Dunfermline, Scone, Stirling, and now Edinburgh, for one example.

There's no reason all of the names given could not have been different cities, each having at one time or another served as the imperial capitol.

I would suppose that the Staging Area, New Romulus Command Center, and Diplomatic Quarter (where we all have our embassies) would be in the current capitol city of Mol'Rihan. Maybe we could call it "Mol'Val'danadex Trel."
    edited July 2013
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Tal_Prai'ex
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Praetorian

Are you sure that you wish to countermand the Emperor and the Praetor?
    R E M A I N

edited July 2013
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Tal_Prai'ex
    http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Praetorian

Are you sure that you wish to countermand the Emperor and the Praetor?

There hasn't been an Emperor or Praetor in some time. The Empress is missing, apparently taken prisoner by Iconians, and is a woman who gave permission to the Hirogen to hunt Romulans and Remans, obviously unworthy of the office, which has been tainted for a while before she even took the throne. The Romulan Star Empire is a derelict hulk, to which cling a dwindling group of delusional and paranoid reactionaries.

The Tal'Diann will stand firm against the Tal'Shiar and any pretender to the throne.
    edited July 2013
    But you forget that the Tal Prai'ex and the Praetorian are also currently aligned with the Romulan Republic.

p.s. Do you intend to claim the Throne of the Raptor Star for yourself?
    R E M A I N

• captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bones1970 wrote: »
    Can FED then finaly have access to earth (wanna see if my house is still there).. lol

See what Arkansas looks like in 2409 :P.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
    edited July 2013
    But you forget that the Tal Prai'ex and the Praetorian are also currently aligned with the Romulan Republic.

Really? Where did you get that bit of information? More relevantly, why would a NON-IMPERIAL state have a Praetorian Guard for a non-existent Emperor or the missing Empress of a former regime? Why would a non-imperial state retain such trappings of an imperial government that no longer has any relevance for the citizens of said state?
    p.s. Do you intend to claim the Throne of the Raptor Star for yourself?

The Republic has no throne; don't be ridiculous.
  • asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree on the matter of Romulans having their own capital city like the KDF have Qo'NoS and the Feds have our location. And as a captain of a rather mixed crew, including a Romulan-Vulcan, I stand by to help the Romulan people... Tal Shiar, Republic, even the remnants of the Star Empire to rebuild and reforge a new empire. The Romulans helped the Klingon Empire and the Federation in the Dominion War, and now... it's our turn to help. It's only right.
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really? Where did you get that bit of information? More relevantly, why would a NON-IMPERIAL state have a Praetorian Guard for a non-existent Emperor or the missing Empress of a former regime? Why would a non-imperial state retain such trappings of an imperial government that no longer has any relevance for the citizens of said state?

The Republic has no throne; don't be ridiculous.
    Praetor does not mean Emperor, and Praetorian Guard does not necessarily mean Emperor's Bodyguards.

Now if I remember the backstory right, Praetors were elected by the Romulan Senate, or at least overseen by them, while Emperors were not; and Donatra was like the first empress in a good long while, with Sela following her and both not lasting for very long. There's no reason why D'Tan or someone couldn't convene a new Senate to elect a new Praetor, especially as doing so would give Republic some kind of legitimacy.
    edited July 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    Praetor does not mean Emperor, and Praetorian Guard does not necessarily mean Emperor's Bodyguards.

Now if I remember the backstory right, Praetors were elected by the Romulan Senate, or at least overseen by them, while Emperors were not; and Donatra was like the first empress in a good long while, with Sela following her and both not lasting for very long. There's no reason why D'Tan or someone couldn't convene a new Senate to elect a new Praetor, especially as doing so would give Republic some kind of legitimacy.

But the Praetorians "were known to have been the personal forces of the Emperor of the Romulan Star Empire" and "were commanded only by the Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire."

Three particulars indicate the obsolescence of the Praetorians under the new order in light of the quoted bits:
    1. There is no Emperor (nor Empress, for that matter).
    2. There is no Praetor.
    3. The New Romulan Republic is not the Romulan Star Empire.

I find it curious how often I have to remind Tal'Shiar sympathizers of the fact that we're not subjects of the Empire but are instead citizens of the Republic. It must be the conditioning.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    But the Praetorians "were known to have been the personal forces of the Emperor of the Romulan Star Empire" and "were commanded only by the Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire."
    I wasn't talking in-universe, but out-of-universe. If you want to have the conversation about whether it is appropriate that the Romulan Republic have a Praetor and/or Praetorian Guard, fine, but I did not have that distinction in mind when I wrote my post.
    Three particulars indicate the obsolescence of the Praetorians under the new order in light of the quoted bits:
    1. There is no Emperor (nor Empress, for that matter).
    2. There is no Praetor.
    3. The New Romulan Republic is not the Romulan Star Empire.
    It's just Romulan Republic. AFAIK. Putting 'New' in front of it is unncessary and I've never heard of any state that calls itself 'The New _'

Otherwise I don't take issue with anything you've said.
    I find it curious how often I have to remind Tal'Shiar sympathizers of the fact that we're not subjects of the Empire but are instead citizens of the Republic. It must be the conditioning.
    Literally don't know what you're talking about
    edited July 2013
    The Star Empire is in a state of Civil War, but is certainly not without non-Iconian representation; but (since we are obviously role playing) one thing is certain, both the Praetorian Guard and the Romulan Republic are fighting against the Tal Shiar. But why must you predicate a Star Empire government to the existence of the Tal Praiex, when you are opposed to both?
    R E M A I N

edited July 2013
    stofsk wrote: »
    I wasn't talking in-universe, but out-of-universe. If you want to have the conversation about whether it is appropriate that the Romulan Republic have a Praetor and/or Praetorian Guard, fine, but I did not have that distinction in mind when I wrote my post.

It's just Romulan Republic. AFAIK. Putting 'New' in front of it is unncessary and I've never heard of any state that calls itself 'The New _'

Otherwise I don't take issue with anything you've said.

Literally don't know what you're talking about

It's the New Romulan Republic because it's based on New Romulus. Supporters of the Republic are often called "New Romulans" by those who cling to the crumbling decadence that was once the Romulan Star Empire.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    The Romulan Star Empire only had a reference to having a Empress in a Voyager episode, we had long established the Praetor ad the Romulan Head of state leaving the whole "emperor" thing as a oddity.
    Praetor, of course, was an ancient Roman term. Ancient history was never a specialty of mine, but it seems from what little I've read that the term was kinda hard to pin down. It seems that there were always multiple praetors, some of whom were military governors or leaders, and some who were elected somehow. Sometimes there was a Praetorus Maximus, essentially a dictator. Sometimes not. The real problem is that D.C. Fontana and Roddenberry didn't come up with a cohesive story for the Romulans, so later writers just made stuff up. Some fit, some didn't.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Duane's books are problematic as Duane and Morwood's assertion in The Romulan Way that the Rihannsu "were never Romulans"...
    Honestly, I've never really understood why people have an issue with this. When we come across a new race/species/etc., we give it a name. That name is generally not what they call themselves. Examples? How about the Dine (DEE-nay) people of the American Southwest. We call them the Navajo. Or the Numunu, whom we call Comanches.

"Romulan" is the "white man's name". If you ask a Romulan what he calls his people, it's "Rihannsu". They don't know Rome, or the old legend of Romulus and Remus. Why should they?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    captw wrote: »
    See what Arkansas looks like in 2409 :P.

Well, in DS9 we saw a glimpse of Louisiana (New Orleans, I believe ... at least I think that was where Sisko's father had a restaurant) and Paris (if memory serves that was where the office of the Federation president was located).

Heck, the pilot episode of Voyager even showed us a Federation penal colony on Earth ... so there are at least three locations on 24th century Earth that the devs and art team can draw upon if they want to expand player zones on Earth (which would be nice).

I don't know how much we've seen of Qo'nos outside the capital and the New Romulus landscape is a completely blank canvas for the devs and art team to work with, so I don't see why we can't have more ground locations on Earth, Qo'nos, and New Romulus.

Speaking of extra locations, I wish the Utopia Planetia ship yards around Mars were expanded and made available as a "ground" zone for players to visit all year long. The UP shipyards were established as the "heart" of Starfleet's shipbuilding efforts, so it makes sense that FED players should have access. Heck, maybe even add a location in one of those orbiting spacedocks where FED players can get special ship upgrades that aren't currently available (easy to add a spacedock like that in orbit of Qo'nos and New Romulus as well)
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.