test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

shrink the scimitar ...

odonielodoniel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Romulan Discussion
i was wondering if anyone else thinks along the same line here:

i would like to request a slight shrink of the scimitar.

i am not talking about the mechanics or anything the like, but the model is ridiculously huge. you constantly get stuck in sector space and warping into systems, basically everywhere you do not have control of where you are positioned.

simply put this thing is just oversized.

i really like it but having to "wriggle" free to dislodge your ship from others every time you visit a starbase is a bit tiresome.
Post edited by odoniel on

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why do people first want big and powerful ships and then complain they're "oversized"?:rolleyes:
    The ship has precisely the correct size

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/8/8f/Nemesis_comparison.jpg
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The size is what it should be. If they can adjust the collision size or the spacing of when we enter a zone then that would be preferable. I dont want to see the ship become smaller.
  • ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree that the ship size is a problem in sector space. The problem however is not so much this ship's size but the whole way that sector space works with ships being made so out of proportion to what they should be, that it creates traffic problems; which existed before this ship came along but now significantly exacerbates it. I have an Advanced Haakona, and that's big and bad enough.

The problem needs to be addressed, but as with the above, I don't concur with your solution - however it may be the only practical one - but for sector space travel only.

After all, in sector space, all ships are out of their correct proportion or ratio to their surroundings, so perhaps reducing the size of some or all of them as they appear in there would be the solution.
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    odoniel wrote: »

i am not talking about the mechanics or anything the like, but the model is ridiculously huge. you constantly get stuck in sector space and warping into systems, basically everywhere you do not have control of where you are positioned.

i really like it but having to "wriggle" free to dislodge your ship from others every time you visit a starbase is a bit tiresome.

Similar, but slightly different lines... for most of the actual mission maps the ships are all correct in scaling to each other, but tend to be oversized at spawn locations due to having too tight a cluster around the spawn point. Once you hit sector space, though... yeah, wtf? If you really want to capture the vastness of space, might it not help if our ships didn't take up more of it than your average star system? In sector space, I am all for making the ships smaller... but don't touch their scaling relative to each other please.

Of course, while discussing sector space irritants... I know it isn't in keeping with the Feds, but can the KDF and KDF Romulans have a dialog option that amounts to "If you keep flying away while I am in the middle of buying something, I will board that freighter and show you what your digestive tract looks like when fed through a Water Purification System. Thank you."? Also, can having said freighter fly off automatically enable a "Board Insolent Freighter" doff assignment (15 min duration max), rewarding Prisoner doffs and a Commodities Crate akin to that given out for certain mark missions? That would really make me smile ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • odonielodoniel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Why do people first want big and powerful ships and then complain they're "oversized"?:rolleyes:

ok then this was a wrong impression on my part and i take this back. i felt this ship was oversized in comparison to the others.

anyway, the part that bugs me is not the looks but that you can not enter any system with more than a few ships without getting stuck. this could also be solved in other ways.

how about reducing the hitbox (without changing other mechanics)? or letting the scimitar push other ships (that are not actively trying to go in the oposite direction) out of the way more eaisly? if it is such a huge ship it should be able to push a bunch of defiants out of the way and not get stuck between them ...

it just is annoying to go to ds9 and not be able to dock without a minute of turning and twisting ;)
  • odonielodoniel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Similar, but slightly different lines... for most of the actual mission maps the ships are all correct in scaling to each other, but tend to be oversized at spawn locations due to having too tight a cluster around the spawn point. Once you hit sector space, though... yeah, wtf? If you really want to capture the vastness of space, might it not help if our ships didn't take up more of it than your average star system? In sector space, I am all for making the ships smaller... but don't touch their scaling relative to each other please.

Of course, while discussing sector space irritants... I know it isn't in keeping with the Feds, but can the KDF and KDF Romulans have a dialog option that amounts to "If you keep flying away while I am in the middle of buying something, I will board that freighter and show you what your digestive tract looks like when fed through a Water Purification System. Thank you."? Also, can having said freighter fly off automatically enable a "Board Insolent Freighter" doff assignment (15 min duration max), rewarding Prisoner doffs and a Commodities Crate akin to that given out for certain mark missions? That would really make me smile ;)

on that part i could not agree more. sector space does not feel like a huge space, but rather like a very small sandbox with tiny shining dots and a lot of HUGE ships.

i would prefer to have a sector-space were my ship is tiny. if i want to look at it close up i can enter any system ... no one needs to be able to count the windows in sector space.

of course i do not want to mess up the scaling. as i said in a previous post, i seem to have had the wrong impression that the scimitar was actually oversized compared to other ships. misterde3 pointed this out to me, so i retract the "shrink it visuably" part of my request.
  • johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    if anything It should be a bit bigger, i compared my ship to a freinds sovereign, and it could do with just a touch bigger (I am biased, its allways been my fave ship is the films and I want it to atleast get close to being able too look like it can swallow a sovereign class whole)
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Hmm...

The Scimitar was, canon-wise, a gargantuan ship. It's fine on its size.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't want them to shrink the ship, but as captainrevo said, they need to shrink the collision size to make it more manoeuvrable in communal zones....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In comparison to the other ships in the game, the Scimitar's size is fine. If it is to be scaled down, so does every other ship in STO need to be scaled down by the same amount, so that proportions are being kept.

The real issue here is spawn ponts, map sizes, sector space and collision boxes(to a lesser extent in my experience so far).

I'm not sure how viable it is to expect Cryptic to increase the size of the maps, but sometimes ridiculous situations occur, like for example playing a Starbase Defense against Romulan attack, with 10 of of 20 allies using Scimitar - I literally couldn't see and had no idea as to what's going on in front of the base. :P I hope the devs. consider increasing the size of maps to accomodate the large numbers of huge ships that made an appearance in STO as of late.
    The spawn points are prety much self explanatory, they need to be increased to cope with the situation of really big ships spawning on top of eachother and then getting locked in a grip of death.
    Last but not least - sector space. It desperately needs to be increased. I completely agree with the OP's assesment that currently sector space feels like a little sandbox that due to the size of the ships seems overcrowded and does not feel like open space at all. This really needs to be adressed, as the lack of open space and trek would be the last thing that should be expected in a Star Trek game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    why dont make each ship in sector space a ghost ?
    kaming it that they can pass trough each other in sector space?
    problem solved i geuss?

no re adjusting sizes,just make them like a ghost.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do not shrink it ffs, even seeing a request for this has put me on full tactical troll alert.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Good Lordy that's a nice picture :)
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I don't want them to shrink the ship, but as captainrevo said, they need to shrink the collision size to make it more manoeuvrable in communal zones....

Or they should increase the zone spawn area to space ships further afield!

I never understand why people have to "hang-around" the spawn area esp. when they can see a ship is stuck.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ship is fine, maps are too small
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Maybe it's not the same people complaining about each thing?

The maps we travel and fight in, and the distances we fight at are not properly scaled. So that makes the sudden influx of OMFGHUGE rom ships a real issue.

Flying the scimitar in ship dense combats like NWS, MU Incursion is pretty ridiculous as it gets stuck between all the other ships.

Is that precisely correct?

shpoks wrote: »
    The real issue here is spawn ponts, map sizes, sector space and collision boxes(to a lesser extent in my experience so far).

Yeah, pretty much this.
  • jimipaigejimipaige Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013

No, I think the ship should not be shrunk. I believe as do several here that it should be made bigger. The insides need some work (see my post) but I love the ship. Seems like after watching nemesis again that it should actually be larger.

my 2cw
    Thanks,

Fleet Admiral Jeronath
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The size is what it should be. If they can adjust the collision size or the spacing of when we enter a zone then that would be preferable. I dont want to see the ship become smaller.
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    I agree that the ship size is a problem in sector space. The problem however is not so much this ship's size but the whole way that sector space works with ships being made so out of proportion to what they should be, that it creates traffic problems; which existed before this ship came along but now significantly exacerbates it. I have an Advanced Haakona, and that's big and bad enough.

The problem needs to be addressed, but as with the above, I don't concur with your solution - however it may be the only practical one - but for sector space travel only.

After all, in sector space, all ships are out of their correct proportion or ratio to their surroundings, so perhaps reducing the size of some or all of them as they appear in there would be the solution.

A few of us longer term players have been complaining about the Hit-box and Camera Distances of the STO ships for quite some time now.

Though most of the ships in the game are almost spot-on in size, their out lying Camera Distance and Hit boxes are ridiculously large.

When the game came out of Beta, it was possible to get right up next to a ship at almost all angles (which made for great Trek Movie-like views/pics), but within the first year Cryptic started messing with those distances because a few players were complaining that they didn't like it when the camera clipped into the ship.
    Instead of suggesting that those few players actually USE their mouse wheel to slide back from the ship a bit, Cryptic changed all the ships to have larger Camera/Hit box areas.

STUPID doesn't even come close to describing that particular fiasco.

Kinda interesting to remember back and realize that things haven't changed all that much ...

:rolleyes:

Addendum:
    I should add that one of the reasons given by Cryptic for the change at that time, was that the ships didn't have the proper detail for extreme close-ups.
    (most of us didn't really care about that)
    I remember also, that TacoFang once posted another more detailed reason...
    But I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
    :o
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • jdskjflkjdfklsjfjdskjflkjdfklsjf Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Size is nice but the fact you get stuck in a crowd sucks.
    I collided with another schim in a STF and for 15 seconds or so we danced around each other trying to get loose.Was kinda funny really.
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Size is nice but the fact you get stuck in a crowd sucks.
    I collided with another schim in a STF and for 15 seconds or so we danced around each other trying to get loose.Was kinda funny really.

::LOL:: I think I may have been the Scimi you were dancing with.. Thank you for taking it with a sense of humor. i thought for sure you would have hated my guts for being such an idiot.. great dance though.. County and western style i think :lol::
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    A few of us longer term players have been complaining about the Hit-box and Camera Distances of the STO ships for quite some time now.

Though most of the ships in the game are almost spot-on in size, their out lying Camera Distance and Hit boxes are ridiculously large.

When the game came out of Beta, it was possible to get right up next to a ship at almost all angles (which made for great Trek Movie-like views/pics), but within the first year Cryptic started messing with those distances because a few players were complaining that they didn't like it when the camera clipped into the ship.
    Instead of suggesting that those few players actually USE their mouse wheel to slide back from the ship a bit, Cryptic changed all the ships to have larger Camera/Hit box areas.

STUPID doesn't even come close to describing that particular fiasco.

Kinda interesting to remember back and realize that things haven't changed all that much ...

:rolleyes:

Addendum:
    I should add that one of the reasons given by Cryptic for the change at that time, was that the ships didn't have the proper detail for extreme close-ups.
    (most of us didn't really care about that)
    I remember also, that TacoFang once posted another more detailed reason...
    But I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
    :o

Hit box and camera distance I can certainly agree with. I wish we could get closer in visually even if it means some clipping, because it really does effect the way I feel about the game to be able to enjoy these cinematic moments and perhaps take pics of them to decorate my background.
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • sesshoseki7sesshoseki7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This can all be resolved for ALL ships in two parts.

First, there is simply TONS of wasted space around the spawn zones, and they are simply too small to support the population in many high-traffic areas. Especially at places like Risa during the summer festival event.

The solution is to more than double the spawn area's length, width, and height. Ships are already programmed to spawn within that allotted space, just make the box twice as large on each side and expand those parameters within the spawning function.

Second, make the hit-detection envelope around ships, particularly the big ones, "tighter" to the skin. Being hung up by a magical box literally 1/2 mile from my actual hull is REALLY annoying and only highlights how insufficient the current situation is.

I am absolutely confident players would FAR FAR FAR rather have a little "clipping" of ship hulls on occasion where a "wing" or a nacelle may pass through that of another ship as they move past one another, rather than the two being hung up in a death grip from which the "the jaws of life" could never separate them.
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    why dont make each ship in sector space a ghost ?
    kaming it that they can pass trough each other in sector space?
    problem solved i geuss?

no re adjusting sizes,just make them like a ghost.

^This. I don't care if sector space "feels" like I'm really flying through space, I don't think that is the purpose of it at all, it's just point A to point B. I like being able to see other ships nice and big in sector, especially when something new and shiny comes out... that way I can stalk them and try to get a better look at them, lol. I would just like it if ships could not collide and if autonav didn't try to take you two sectors out of your way just to avoid colliding with other ships.

And yes, making the hitboxes so large that ships pretty much can't get anywhere near each other is kind of ridiculous for maneuvering, but it does make sense that ships can't enter each other's shield bubble area. In regard to social zones/spawning in high population areas, increasing the size of the spawn area should help with things and also increasing ship's range of motion would be helpful. They say that the current game engine won't allow full 360 degree motion... fine, but if it is possible to get any closer to vertical, that would be very helpful for going over/under things.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013

The Scimitar is up to 30% larger than it should be according to precisely this image. (See this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=777191)

Of course the spawn points' relatively small area only exacerbates the size issue...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ship scale in this game is screwy anyways. If we use the Sovereign as a scale then the Defiant should be the size of a shuttlecraft... and everything adjusted from that.

Honestly though, the easiest fix would be to expand the collission box around each ship. Put a 1km box around each ship and that is as close as you can get... period.

Also EXPAND THE SPAWN POINTS so everyone doesn't appear on top of each other.
  • kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its fine, the only thing that needs changing is the Dominion Dreadnought Carrier. Its too small when compared to the scimitar in the game vs. canon.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    The Scimitar is up to 30% larger than it should be according to precisely this image. (See this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=777191)

Of course the spawn points' relatively small area only exacerbates the size issue...

The Scimitar in your image is actually shorter than the Oddy, otherwise the wing would not be completely hidden by the saucer since it represents the most forward point on the Scimitar.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yW0vDdMZczA/TysbYu4EW1I/AAAAAAAABN8/YQPPv9j22cQ/s1600/dtne-concept.jpg

Also, the Scimitar is clearly not as wide as 2 Mogais and the only problems that arise between the two ship come from the camera angle which is natural when you show them from the front.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3452/w2a6.jpg
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    unikon wrote: »
    This one is quite easy to solve. MAKE SPAWN POINTS WIDER!!!1111

I will never understand why they allow ships to warp in with such a tiny window. Not everyone need be directly in front of the place they're warping into.

very much this^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Scimitar in your image is actually shorter than the Oddy, otherwise the wing would not be completely hidden by the saucer since it represents the most forward point on the Scimitar.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yW0vDdMZczA/TysbYu4EW1I/AAAAAAAABN8/YQPPv9j22cQ/s1600/dtne-concept.jpg

Also, the Scimitar is clearly not as wide as 2 Mogais and the only problems that arise between the two ship come from the camera angle which is natural when you show them from the front.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3452/w2a6.jpg

The latest picture shows both the Mogai and the Scimitar at the same distance from the 'camera'. They both haven't moved from the moment the other shots were taken (that's why I made shots from I think all sides). Therefore the Scimitar should be much smaller to fit the known size.

As per the Odyssey pic, don't forget the Odyssey is much closer to the camera. It should be much longer even if they were at the same distance, here the Scimitar matches is while being further, so it's even longer than the Odyssey.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's suppose to be big it's a dreadnought so I approve of it's size.
    Plus size is kind of important in identification should they decide to make the Reman ships from the count down comic which are basically smaller scimitars.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!