test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: TIF & Desync

virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvP Gameplay
It came up recently in an OPvP discussion, so I figured I would ask here. I've never really asked if it affected anybody in the same manner - I just posted the bug report long ago, bumped it a couple of times I believe - saw no response - and - pretty much gave up on it.

This isn't a poll - there's no need to say that it does not affect you in that manner - it's more along the lines of if it does. It was suggested that it is just me - that I alone have this issue. So I wanted to see if anybody else has a similar issue with TIF. It's not complaining about anything else in regard to TIF, I don't have any complaints about what it does otherwise - there are the counters out there (pointed out in numerous threads that have complained about TIF otherwise).

First, let me share this. I can guarantee a form of desync for myself. All I have to do is run the "Boldly They Rode" mission - after the second puzzle but before reaching the ledge, I will get cursor trails. Can guarantee that. It's just a case of /softwarecursor 1 followed by a /softwarecursor 0 and I finish the mission. Has been that way as long as I can remember. Happened on all my current toons, and it happened on all the toons I can remember from my reroll days prior to S7.

It's normally not a big deal, unless I do the mission again or on another toon. While the /softwarecursor clears up the cursor trails - I begin to suffer performance degradation in my ability to interact with the UI. Basically, I get UI lag - whether by clicking or keybind, there's a delay. I normally will complete the mission again and then restart the client. Otherwise, it becomes unplayable.

Now, I see folks from time to time mentioning that they're getting cursor trails here and there. You'll see them sharing the /softwarecursor bit. I don't have that issue. Outside of "Boldly They Rode", the only place I get them is...

...when somebody uses TIF.

Yep, somebody uses TIF and I've got cursor trails. Flip the /softwarecursor to make them go away - only, I'll still have the UI degradation issue that only occurs after running "Boldly They Rode" multiple times.

Somebody drops a second TIF, and I'm banging on the keyboard to try to get things to work. Somebody drops a third TIF, and I basically have to alt-tab to endtask the client because I won't be able to do anything otherwise. Well, that's not true. I can type in chat fine - but I can't even hit Esc to bring up the menu. Can't click the button to bring up the menu. I have to alt-tab to endtask.

There's no rubberbanding - I'm not watching the game in some lag infested miasma - I've just been desynced from interacting with the UI outside of the curious ability to chat in whatever channel I'm currently in (can't change channels - though, I suppose I could / type in another - but since I can't change tabs, I wouldn't be able see it if I did).

It was suggested that it is just me. Those are the only two things that cause it for me. It kind of leaves me wondering what's causing the cursor trails for other folks as an aside. Doesn't matter if my screen is painted with pets, poo, and various other effects that have my GPU shedding tears - my FPS might get butchered and I'll have to deal with the overall loss of performance from that happening - but it's not the same as what happens with TIF or running "Boldly They Rode" over and over and over. It can take TIF less than a minute to create the same affect that a couple of hours of "Boldly They Rode" would be required to cause.

Folks have probably seen me make that complaint from time to time about TIF - that it's my only complaint about TIF...I usually bring it up whenever folks complain about TIF in OPvP (or even on the forums). Usually there's little more than a /shrug or orly? offered in reply to it.

For some reason today, as yet again somebody was complaining about TIF being used in a match by somebody...and I mentioned that my only issue was the desync, well - hrmmm, the attitude was different. Course, they weren't regulars...but that's a good thing, need to get more folks into OPvP...but still, it got me wondering on this old topic about how TIF affects me.

So yeah - is there anybody else out there that there only issue with TIF is that it is causing them problems such as what I experience with it? Perhaps somebody that used to experience such issues but found a way to deal with it?

Lol, perhaps it is some twisted thing - where I'm not plagued with some of the issues other experience, but I have to deal with this particular issue instead. I mean, there are folks that experience cursor trails so much they've had to keybind it to deal with it...

...meh, oh well - that's all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    TIF is cpu heavy not gpu,probably because it affects the cd ...more people affected = more math to be done = more cpu power needed.

plasma and theta dont lag but they simply disappear.I reported this enough times to not care now.I also reported that cursor trail bug and even posted how people fix it (top bar or a a bind) hoping it will be fixed ...again nothing :/

btw TIF is something to complain and QQ about.1 click powers that affect the whole enemy team is not normal.That sheet not only affects speed and turn rate but it also affects cooldowns.That thing exists only to make someone laugh at pvpers...there is no use for it in pve.Also the debuff icon doeant have a timer...if you run away and wait to see how long till you can return you have to count in your head ...
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    TIF is cpu heavy not gpu,probably because it affects the cd ...more people affected = more math to be done = more cpu power needed.

That's interesting. Not sure why I never considered that. I guess I just tied it into what was happening in BTR, that I kind of treated it as just a faster version of it - without really thinking about how my premises on BTR might be off.

I figured there was just a memory leak or hole in the map sort of thing going on in that area of the map for BTR - so something similar was happening with TIF. But STO is more CPU than GPU in many areas, so it could actually be a CPU issue with BTR as well if that's what is causing my issues. I've monitored memory and GPU stuff regarding it, because I was looking at it the way I was...but I'll have to do some testing tracing CPU usage and take a look.

Thanks.
  • Options
    masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It came up recently in an OPvP discussion, so I figured I would ask here. I've never really asked if it affected anybody in the same manner - I just posted the bug report long ago, bumped it a couple of times I believe - saw no response - and - pretty much gave up on it.

This isn't a poll - there's no need to say that it does not affect you in that manner - it's more along the lines of if it does. It was suggested that it is just me - that I alone have this issue. So I wanted to see if anybody else has a similar issue with TIF. It's not complaining about anything else in regard to TIF, I don't have any complaints about what it does otherwise - there are the counters out there (pointed out in numerous threads that have complained about TIF otherwise).

First, let me share this. I can guarantee a form of desync for myself. All I have to do is run the "Boldly They Rode" mission - after the second puzzle but before reaching the ledge, I will get cursor trails. Can guarantee that. It's just a case of /softwarecursor 1 followed by a /softwarecursor 0 and I finish the mission. Has been that way as long as I can remember. Happened on all my current toons, and it happened on all the toons I can remember from my reroll days prior to S7.

It's normally not a big deal, unless I do the mission again or on another toon. While the /softwarecursor clears up the cursor trails - I begin to suffer performance degradation in my ability to interact with the UI. Basically, I get UI lag - whether by clicking or keybind, there's a delay. I normally will complete the mission again and then restart the client. Otherwise, it becomes unplayable.

Now, I see folks from time to time mentioning that they're getting cursor trails here and there. You'll see them sharing the /softwarecursor bit. I don't have that issue. Outside of "Boldly They Rode", the only place I get them is...

...when somebody uses TIF.

Yep, somebody uses TIF and I've got cursor trails. Flip the /softwarecursor to make them go away - only, I'll still have the UI degradation issue that only occurs after running "Boldly They Rode" multiple times.

Somebody drops a second TIF, and I'm banging on the keyboard to try to get things to work. Somebody drops a third TIF, and I basically have to alt-tab to endtask the client because I won't be able to do anything otherwise. Well, that's not true. I can type in chat fine - but I can't even hit Esc to bring up the menu. Can't click the button to bring up the menu. I have to alt-tab to endtask.

There's no rubberbanding - I'm not watching the game in some lag infested miasma - I've just been desynced from interacting with the UI outside of the curious ability to chat in whatever channel I'm currently in (can't change channels - though, I suppose I could / type in another - but since I can't change tabs, I wouldn't be able see it if I did).

It was suggested that it is just me. Those are the only two things that cause it for me. It kind of leaves me wondering what's causing the cursor trails for other folks as an aside. Doesn't matter if my screen is painted with pets, poo, and various other effects that have my GPU shedding tears - my FPS might get butchered and I'll have to deal with the overall loss of performance from that happening - but it's not the same as what happens with TIF or running "Boldly They Rode" over and over and over. It can take TIF less than a minute to create the same affect that a couple of hours of "Boldly They Rode" would be required to cause.

Folks have probably seen me make that complaint from time to time about TIF - that it's my only complaint about TIF...I usually bring it up whenever folks complain about TIF in OPvP (or even on the forums). Usually there's little more than a /shrug or orly? offered in reply to it.

For some reason today, as yet again somebody was complaining about TIF being used in a match by somebody...and I mentioned that my only issue was the desync, well - hrmmm, the attitude was different. Course, they weren't regulars...but that's a good thing, need to get more folks into OPvP...but still, it got me wondering on this old topic about how TIF affects me.

So yeah - is there anybody else out there that there only issue with TIF is that it is causing them problems such as what I experience with it? Perhaps somebody that used to experience such issues but found a way to deal with it?

Lol, perhaps it is some twisted thing - where I'm not plagued with some of the issues other experience, but I have to deal with this particular issue instead. I mean, there are folks that experience cursor trails so much they've had to keybind it to deal with it...

...meh, oh well - that's all.

there is a easier solution to the mouse cursor desync, just hover over and clickspam a ui element's scrollbar.

I always spam my chat window scrollbar and it magically disappears.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    or set a bind for for softwarecursor 0... (lol cant remind the exact command :o ) and use it when you see the "intended feature" .

that bug is from beta btw...yes thats over 3 years :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    or set a bind for for softwarecursor 0... (lol cant remind the exact command :o ) and use it when you see the "intended feature" .

that bug is from beta btw...yes thats over 3 years :rolleyes:

yup i know, i made bug reports about it since... 2+ years now.

Sad part is its probably pretty easy to get fixed. but we all know where cryptics priorities lies.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would have thought the first question for anyone trying to figure out what's happening is checking system specs...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    I would have thought the first question for anyone trying to figure out what's happening is checking system specs...

So having

Operating System
    Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ RAM
    Memory: 1GB RAM
    Hard Disk 10GB Free Disk Space
    Graphic Display NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Drivers DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    DirectX Version 9.0c or Higher
    Network Internet Broadband Connection Required

is really hard ?

that is in the system requirments http://sto.perfectworld.com/download

the game engine cant display more than 2 plasma/theta or other gas clouds (imagine 10 v 10 pvp in which everyone spams theta...probably the game crashes) ...that has nothing to do with system specs.Same with that cursor trail bug.Same with UI lag .Without UI you double your frame rate ...that is not normal.This game has serious optimization problems and Im not talking about lag in places with many people...it runs bad when you least expect it.
  • Options
    ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    there is a easier solution to the mouse cursor desync, just hover over and clickspam a ui element's scrollbar.

I always spam my chat window scrollbar and it magically disappears.

yeah. for me I figured if you click even once (!) on any shield facing of your ship, it is ended :)

wont help on ground, but lol

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »

Operating System
    Windows Windows 7 (64-bit)
    CPU i7 Quad Core
    Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Hard Disk 500+GB Free Disk Space
    Graphic Display NVIDIA 670GTX
    DirectX Version 11

And I have the disappearing Theta/Warp Plasma happen when multiple copies are used.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So having

Operating System
    Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+ RAM
    Memory: 1GB RAM
    Hard Disk 10GB Free Disk Space
    Graphic Display NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Drivers DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    DirectX Version 9.0c or Higher
    Network Internet Broadband Connection Required

is really hard ?

that is in the system requirments http://sto.perfectworld.com/download

the game engine cant display more than 2 plasma/theta or other gas clouds (imagine 10 v 10 pvp in which everyone spams theta...probably the game crashes) ...that has nothing to do with system specs.Same with that cursor trail bug.Same with UI lag .Without UI you double your frame rate ...that is not normal.This game has serious optimization problems and Im not talking about lag in places with many people...it runs bad when you least expect it.

Pretty much this, all issues concerning double Cursor Glitches and Disappearing warp plasma etc has nothing to do with our hardware, get over it for once.

Its a heavily unoptimized and broken game engine that does this.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    yeah. for me I figured if you click even once (!) on any shield facing of your ship, it is ended :)

wont help on ground, but lol

Oh thanks, i didnt figure that one out yet :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Operating System
    Windows Windows 7 (64-bit)
    CPU i7 Quad Core
    Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Hard Disk 500+GB Free Disk Space
    Graphic Display NVIDIA 670GTX
    DirectX Version 11

And I have the disappearing Theta/Warp Plasma happen when multiple copies are used.

I have an old Laptop here with an AMD processor, Windows XP, 4GB ram, ATI videocard w/e
    DX9

all is different, same issues. Like i said, game engine bugs.