test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crash to Desktop (7/18/13) **Fixed with emergency patch 7/19**

Comments

• idonotlikethisidonotlikethis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sekusei28 wrote: »
    I'd rather have the server brought down now and fixed than to constantly keep crashing randomly especially when you people KNOW THE ISSUE! why wait? FIX IT NOW!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

because it isn't effecting everyone equally and because thtey have to make sure the patch isn't going to cause any other issues for everyone so they schedual the downtime to TRIBBLE the least number of people off.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    sekusei28 wrote: »
    I'd rather have the server brought down now and fixed than to constantly keep crashing randomly especially when you people KNOW THE ISSUE! why wait? FIX IT NOW!

I can definitely empathize with you here, as I was planning on playing tonight as well. Unfortunately, while we know what the issue is, and have the fix prepping, the patch that is going to be applied to Holodeck is still being readied. If we could do it sooner, we definitely would. But for this one, it needs a bit more time "to cook in the oven".

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks to everyone who has submitted reports in this thread! They've helped us track down the issue, which should be resolved in tomorrow's patch during our emergency maintenance.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well, at least you guys are taking this seriously; so I appreciate that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anyone else been getting randomly crashing game client since the last patch? Normally STO runs fine for me but I've crashed to desktop at least 4 times today and I'm not sure why. There hasn't been a pattern that I've been able to identify yet. I ask because in chat I've seen other users saying the same thing is happening to them.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • scottstatenscottstaten Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have gotten 5 or 6 today and it is very frustrating as yesterday it jsut did not happen.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Working as intended.
    pvp = small package
  • archonphoenixarchonphoenix Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Same issue here. Since i started playing a month or so ago to yesterday, I've had the game crash twice at most. Today alone, however, I've experienced now 4 crashes and verifying files seems to do nothing.

Only thing that has changed was the patch this morning. Someone obviously broke something.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    has anyone else noticed that every single patch that comes out the next day they have an "emergency maintenance" ?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • dranaldranal Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm glad they're addressing it. It would have been nice to have an update sooner, rather than later. If "later" means they're testing it and it will make the game stable, then take your time and get it right.

BTW...any news on addressing the Scimitar's squishy shields?

Thanks.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can definitely empathize with you here, as I was planning on playing tonight as well.

Past tense, eh? Was planning? So the suggestion is not to bother trying to play tonight...
  • cwwcstalkercwwcstalker Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You often get this kinda problem with HTML and CSS syntax on most web pages where elements are not properly assigned thus trying to fight for domination. I know this is completely different but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize your code is getting so bloated it's sinking under it's own weight. Instead of buying a new boat you guys take out the planks n patch the holes, but you can only patch so many holes before your ship has no hull left but a series of patches that looks like a hull.

So your next step is to turn on the water pump to bail out your sinking ship but you patched that as well and the darn thing keeps crashing ( hmm odd, that reminds me of something ) anywho, then you turn to the good ol buckets, but you only got so many devs to bail by hand that you probably make walk the plank for not patching the patches. Who ever is at the helm on these decisions needs to see that iceberg coming. Remember even the unsinkable was sunk!
  • kardelvonkardelvon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The game runs for about 10 to 15 mins (sometimes 20 mins) then it crashes and the pop up error box appears but then the box disappears as soon as I am about to click on it. :confused:
    I verified files 6 times already, I hope emergency maintenance starts soon for I just recently became a gold member :(
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have not noticed any difference from the amount of crashing I get since LoR came out.
  • hansvonlohmanhansvonlohman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I have crashed a few times in the past 2 hours.

I didn't have any trouble before this last patch.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,452 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I just had my second one. First was trying to load Risa, and now... just randomly on Risa.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • applemarineapplemarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've also suffered around 2 to 3 crashes today, each time on Earth Spacedock.
    On a side note, I've been suffering more lag spikes than usual.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Game ran fine for me.
  • rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think it's already been addressed. They're going to fix it in an emergency patch tomorrow.
  • tewha7tewha7 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think I've crashed four times today. Usual number of crashes: one a week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I (and about 5 other fleetmates) in a PvP, and up to 10 others in the fleet (doing random things) crashed to the desktop at the exact same time. Definitely not a coincidence! (lol)
  • stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Let's hope so. My game crashed 6 times today. It was more reliable in Open Beta than it was today.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic, why do you break something every time you update the game? Why is it when you implement "server stability updates", the servers become unstable?

This seems to be the way of things with this game. I have never seen this level of unprofessional implementation in an MMO, and I have been playing them for years.

BTW, the "every MMO has problems" argument is moot at this point...the problems STO encounters are becoming less and less "bugs and glitches" and more and more like standard features.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, what's with Synchronized Crashing? I have two computers that will always crash together, regardless of what is going on, or if I do anything at all. I can just be standing there, and BOOM. Crash for absolutely no reason, both at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • indyv72indyv72 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Same thing here. 5-6 crashes today and before this patch I think in 3+ years I've crashed twice.
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

Thank you for the reports, and I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. We are investigating the crash reports as they come in. Please continue to post here if you encounter a crash, and include the location where you crashed and your crash report # if you can.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Ok bran, i was in briar patch, crashed twice, and in solar wind, crashed once. My teammates crashed too, even the guys we had against. Super weird lol :eek:
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Few crashed before last patch (like once in a month)

After last, yesterdays, patch many crashes like every hour.
  • chance74chance74 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was in the exchange when it crashed. Can't remember if it was ESD or DS9.

I had played for just over an hour I think, including tour the galaxy event, non-event daily mining, and defense contract.
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just got my first crash since this started happening, as I was typing "I was at the bank on New Romulus Command" the error reporter disappeared too!
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've noticed that a lot of the crashes don't happen during intensive fights requiring a lot of FPS but rather what I would call mundane things like being in bank/fleet bank, purchasing requisitions, setting up fleet projects, setting doff/boff, the tailor (although God since the new updated tailor this eats all my FPS more than anything).

My crashes often occur while having another in-game window open and not just in space or ground.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    corvalle wrote: »
    Cryptic, why do you break something every time you update the game? Why is it when you implement "server stability updates", the servers become unstable?

This seems to be the way of things with this game. I have never seen this level of unprofessional implementation in an MMO, and I have been playing them for years.

BTW, the "every MMO has problems" argument is moot at this point...the problems STO encounters are becoming less and less "bugs and glitches" and more and more like standard features.

You seem to have hit upon something here mate. Nearly everytime we get a server stability patch, we get emergency maint the next day. Seems very strange indeed.

That being said, servers are not easy to deal with. There could be a myriad of things that causes them to be unreliable, or not working as intended.

However, Cryptic has a bad history with the servers and/or games not working correctly. What the root cause might be, is hard to tell. Might be bad netcode, or bad server hardware, or a combination of both.

We can but hope Cryptic can fix this, but not holding my breath...
This discussion has been closed.